Oh woe and thrice woe.

Plague

DIS Veteran
After enduring WDW prices and monstrous queues I moved on to Universal today hoping for a change.
Wish granted ... meet Nicole.
Flight home cancelled, so not only will I not have a great time, I'll be paying for an extra night of it.

I'm sure it could be worse, so I'm waiting to see how :coffee:

After enduring WDW prices and monstrous queues I moved on to Universal today hoping for a change.
Flight home cancelled, so not only will I not have a great time, I'll be paying for an extra night of it.

Not good when Hurricane`s hit is it.

We were hit by Ian, stayed an extra 6 nights as VA couldn`t get us on a flight till then as they were full. And as we were a day over their Hurricane Policy which ended Oct 4th, we flew the 5th, they charged us almost £400 for the privilege, if we could have flown the day before it wouldn`t have cost us anything, but they had no availability as obviously everyone was changing flights.

Royal Pacific were fabulous, they arranged for us to stay the extra 6 nights and were marvellous though it all, Concierge were brilliant and helped us with calls to rearrange flights too, can`t praise them enough. And to be fair, we had a brilliant extra 6 days!

Hope you have an easy time of it all changing flights and so on.....

Will insurance not cover your accommodation costs?
Really sad to see that you aren't having a great time. Did you at least have a couple of good days?

Will insurance not cover your accommodation costs?
Maybe. I'll have to read the small print.
I also have to change a connecting flight with another airline, which will probably cost a bit.
But by the time the excess is taken and minding the hit on future premiums I may just swallow it all.

Really sad to see that you aren't having a great time. Did you at least have a couple of good days?
I had 12 days at Disney and the first 8-9 were good. The 1/2 marathon weekend I expected to be busy (it was) but I thought my last day (Monday) would be sane ... but it was probably even worse.
Can't blame Universal for the weather (November is still officially hurricane season), but I wish I hadn't spent on an unlimited express pass for a day. All the rides I really wanted to do (multiple times) were either non-express or down.

So I did have a good time for about ... er, actually just over half my time here. Hmm.
I think I'm gonna stick with Spain in future.

Touch wood, my journey home is now sorted. Basically everything (MCO-DUB, DUB-LHR, LHR-Southampton (coach)) had been shunted back by 24 hours, give or take a few minutes.
Of course BA had to take my first-born for the extreme difficulty of making the change to the DUB-LHR leg, so with the extra hotel night and associated 24 hours subsistence I'll be about £400 poorer because of Nicole.
(Haven't checked my insurance yet... It's 11pm and I'm knackered after stringing that set of beads together. I'm sure I'll have time for that over the next couple of days ... )

Have to give credit to Aer Lingus. Their communications were rather confusing, but they've laid on an extra flight just a day later. I met some Brits earlier and BA are trying to get them on an MCO-LGW flight Monday or Tuesday. They are looking to rent an apartment in the interim as the hotels are so expensive.

So I did have a good time for about ... er, actually just over half my time here. Hmm.
I think I'm gonna stick with Spain in future.

You sound as disillusioned as I was after our trip in August. To me, it's been difficult to put the experience into words. I had a great time hanging with my family but too many things (that to be honest, I can't REALLY fully put my finger on) were 'off'. The price was obviously one of them. I don't mind saving/spending money for holidays but the value HAS to be good, I need to have that feeling of 'money well spent', I don't like the feeling of being ripped off. The Yacht Club was nice, but not THAT price 'nice'. Space 220, amazing, $500 for 4 people 'amazing'? Absolutely 100% NOT.

I told myself that it would be the last time before I considered WDW again and cannot wait for August 2023 when I can have a nice relaxing break in Majorca. BUT.....

Over the last few weeks I've been seeing things through rose coloured glasses again. I'm getting the itch to plan an Orlando trip but I HAVE to snap out of it this time around. It's a bit of a drug/addiction and it's something I have to shake off as it's a very expensive addiction.

I'm going to keep giving myself a big shake and unsubscribe to WDW social media. They make it look sooooo enticing, and that's the problem, the experience is not how they present on those channels.

Oh well, safe travels home. Enjoy sunny Espana next year!

Touch wood, my journey home is now sorted. Basically everything (MCO-DUB, DUB-LHR, LHR-Southampton (coach)) had been shunted back by 24 hours, give or take a few minutes.
Of course BA had to take my first-born for the extreme difficulty of making the change to the DUB-LHR leg, so with the extra hotel night and associated 24 hours subsistence I'll be about £400 poorer because of Nicole.
(Haven't checked my insurance yet... It's 11pm and I'm knackered after stringing that set of beads together. I'm sure I'll have time for that over the next couple of days ... )

Have to give credit to Aer Lingus. Their communications were rather confusing, but they've laid on an extra flight just a day later. I met some Brits earlier and BA are trying to get them on an MCO-LGW flight Monday or Tuesday. They are looking to rent an apartment in the interim as the hotels are so expensive.

Glad you`re all sorted for your flights home, hope it`s seamless with no issues.

You sound as disillusioned as I was after our trip in August. To me, it's been difficult to put the experience into words. I had a great time hanging with my family but too many things (that to be honest, I can't REALLY fully put my finger on) were 'off'. The price was obviously one of them. I don't mind saving/spending money for holidays but the value HAS to be good, I need to have that feeling of 'money well spent', I don't like the feeling of being ripped off. The Yacht Club was nice, but not THAT price 'nice'. Space 220, amazing, $500 for 4 people 'amazing'? Absolutely 100% NOT.

I told myself that it would be the last time before I considered WDW again and cannot wait for August 2023 when I can have a nice relaxing break in Majorca. BUT.....

Over the last few weeks I've been seeing things through rose coloured glasses again. I'm getting the itch to plan an Orlando trip but I HAVE to snap out of it this time around. It's a bit of a drug/addiction and it's something I have to shake off as it's a very expensive addiction.

I'm going to keep giving myself a big shake and unsubscribe to WDW social media. They make it look sooooo enticing, and that's the problem, the experience is not how they present on those channels.

Oh well, safe travels home. Enjoy sunny Espana next year!
I think that really sums it up for me too.
If you take away the rides, and the actual ride time is a tiny fraction of the holiday, then it does look poor value for a holiday.
I cheaped out for Space 220 and just had lunch, so 'only' about $100pp :crazy:

Just seen on the BBC this morning:
November hurricanes are rare in Florida. Since record-keeping began in 1853, the sunshine state has been hit by only two: in 1935 and 1985.

Just my luck :guilty:

So ... Killing time.
Choice of using my last Universal ticket day today, Thurs (limited number of rides operating) or tomorrow with all(ish) rides on.
Or buy another day at $144.

Decided to go for tomorrow as more rides and better weather ... probably.
Tried the nearby Fun Spot but it was closed, so I'm in the Bob Marley at Citywalk drinking cocktails at 4pm.
Could it be worse?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear the impact of the hurricane on your vacation. I often go in September for the low crowds and cheaper DVC point charts, but it's a big gamble. You've been very unlucky to get hit by an hurricane in November!
Have you tried to go to Universal guest services and ask if they can move your Unlimited pass to tomorrow? Since a lot of rides where closed the day you booked it, they might make an exception. Don't hold your breath, but trying will cost nothing. I guess with hurricane cancellations you might find below average lines anyway.

Decided to go for tomorrow as more rides and better weather ... probably.

Could it be worse?
Yes. Turns out Friday is a public holiday which guest services didn't mention. Absolutely heaving.
Using early entry I did manage to get another run on Hagrid, Velocicoaster and Hulk, but after that it was a case of everything had a longer line than the ride was worth to me. Hogwarts Express over to Studios had a 20 min wait so I took that ... Turned out nearer a 40 min queue.
I found a kiosk near the kids bit of Studios and got a pretzel and a beer which I enjoyed in the sun, and after that got a boat back to the hotel about 1pm. Now at the airport very early.

You've been very unlucky to get hit by an hurricane in November!
Yes, about 1 in 57 on historical data. Those odds might get worse in time :)

Have you tried to go to Universal guest services and ask if they can move your Unlimited pass to tomorrow?
I did try, but as I'd used it a couple of times on Wednesday they said no. So basically £98 down the toilet.
I am really not impressed with Universal, though a lot of people seem to really like it. In the unlikely event I ever go to Orlando again I certainly won't be giving them any more money, even if they do have a shiny new park.

You sound utterly deflated. Can you pinpoint the problem? I couldn't.

Now, looking back at past trips to WDW/Orlando, were they always perfect? I've been going there every other year since 1988 and I can honestly say EVERY trip WAS perfect. My absolute best memories of being on holidays with my family. 24/7 fun.

Although the crowds were busier this past August I just can't work out why I didn't enjoy it as much. Is it because I'm older? Is it because my kids are now mid to late teens? I mean, don't get me wrong, all my negative thoughts during the trip were kept to myself, my wife and boys had a blast! It's just that there were so many little niggles/changes that tarnished it a little. I can't for the life of me work out why I didn't have the time of my life though. I've ultimately put it down to looking through rose tinted glasses of times gone by. Things change, they won't always be how I remember. Oh, there's one thing, EPCOT, the Communicore buildings that have been demolished and replaced with that hideous Connections cafe and store. Completely and utterly SOULESS. Absolutely no character whatsover. Harmonious? Don't get me started on that one.....

I actually loved Genie+, apart from the fact that as soon as we came off the rides my face was straight in my phone (hate carrying the phone on holiday, I like to be cut off from reality). It worked well for us and we got on all the rides we wanted quite easily.

I was quite excited about being there for F&W but once the novelty wore off I wished it wasn't there. Too much extra traffic.

Anyway I'm rambling. Hope you got home safe. Give it a few months and I think you'll start thinking of WDW again and what could make a future trip possible.

I think I'm going to wait until Splash Mountain is done, Tron, both water parks open, EPCOT looking pretty again and maybe go at a quieter time of year (we've always done August so we could get 3 weeks there in school holidays).

But then I can't even imagine what the prices will be like in 3 years time, the mind boggles. They cost/value ratio will most probably be right off the scale by then.

You sound utterly deflated. Can you pinpoint the problem? I couldn't.
I'm not really deflated, but to put it in context I was already of the mind that this would likely be my last trip. But I had a fantastic time in 2018, so if that was repeated I'd have been tempted to go again. (I actually have a booking for All Stars next year which I grabbed when they were doing the free money deal back in May.)
No, there is no pinpoint for me either. It's a collection of annoyances really, plus I have some health issues that make it more difficult.
During my trip I actually made note of the niggles during boring bits in queues, etc, and it's nearly 20 items long :) . That includes the usual stuff about crowds and costs, my personal negatives, as well as most of the points you mentioned.
TBH it's made the decision to at least cancel next year a no-brainer, so in an odd way a good result. I'm someone who never says never, because things do change, but given my age, etc, it looks very unlikely I will go to the USA again.

Hope you got home safe.
Working on it. Currently in Dublin airport waiting for my Heathrow flight.

Last edited:

As Aer Lingus is a European carrier, they have a legal duty of care to you until you can be flown home. That includes accommodation, meals and necessary transport. Once they get you to their final destination, not necessarily your final destination, you are on your own.

BA have been excellent to me as we were also due to fly on Nov 10 - extra night at RPR, meals and Uber to the airport all paid without a quibble once I sent them my receipts. Aer Lingus are part of the same group as BA so they should do the same but might need a bit of prompting on your part.

As Aer Lingus is a European carrier, they have a legal duty of care to you until you can be flown home. That includes accommodation, meals and necessary transport. Once they get you to their final destination, not necessarily your final destination, you are on your own.

BA have been excellent to me as we were also due to fly on Nov 10 - extra night at RPR, meals and Uber to the airport all paid without a quibble once I sent them my receipts. Aer Lingus are part of the same group as BA so they should do the same but might need a bit of prompting on your part.
Well that's intriguing.

In the e-mail(s) advising me of the delay/cancellation Aer Lingus had a link to their '261' page where it says:
If you are denied boarding or your flight is cancelled or delayed more than 3 hours on arrival for reasons within control of the airline you may be eligible for a refund, compensation or expenses under EU Regulation 261/2004.
(My bold)
There are links from there to other pages which also limit claims to circumstances within their control.
I reckoned MCO closing because of a hurricane would probably be judged as not within Aer Lingus' control, so didn't try to claim from them.

So I've just had another look at the CAA website*, for UK law (which I thought was still aligned with EU, but maybe not), and seems a bit vague. It reads as though you can claim expenses regardless of the cause, but not compensation if it was out of the airline's control, which would explain why BA paid up for you.

Anyhow, I put in a claim on my insurance 9 days ago, saying I didn't think I could claim from the airline, and the money's gone in my bank today. I'd have thought they'd have bounced it if they thought the airline should pay, but who knows? It was only about £300, so maybe it wasn't worth chasing around.

( * I have it bookmarked having had to brute force money out of BA earlier this year)

Well that's intriguing.

In the e-mail(s) advising me of the delay/cancellation Aer Lingus had a link to their '261' page where it says:
If you are denied boarding or your flight is cancelled or delayed more than 3 hours on arrival for reasons within control of the airline you may be eligible for a refund, compensation or expenses under EU Regulation 261/2004.
(My bold)
There are links from there to other pages which also limit claims to circumstances within their control.
I reckoned MCO closing because of a hurricane would probably be judged as not within Aer Lingus' control, so didn't try to claim from them.

So I've just had another look at the CAA website*, for UK law (which I thought was still aligned with EU, but maybe not), and seems a bit vague. It reads as though you can claim expenses regardless of the cause, but not compensation if it was out of the airline's control, which would explain why BA paid up for you.

Anyhow, I put in a claim on my insurance 9 days ago, saying I didn't think I could claim from the airline, and the money's gone in my bank today. I'd have thought they'd have bounced it if they thought the airline should pay, but who knows? It was only about £300, so maybe it wasn't worth chasing around.

( * I have it bookmarked having had to brute force money out of BA earlier this year)
Glad you got the money refunded but airlines are very naughty in these circumstances.

As the CAA states, the expenses for duty of care are always payable if the flight is delayed or cancelled by the carrier. Compensation in addition to that amount was not payable as the delay was due to adverse weather.
However, it looks as if they tried to persuade you that nothing was payable - which is definitely not the case.

If you'd booked with a US airline the situation might be very different - I don't know if they have a legal duty of care.

However, it looks as if they tried to persuade you that nothing was payable - which is definitely not the case.
Yes, it does seem that Aer Lingus page is quite misleading.
I suspect I'd still have had to claim on insurance for changing my onward flight - that is harder to pin as duty of care, though as AL fly that route as well I suppose they might have got me on one of their flights instead.

It's always easier with hindsight I guess. And apart from the hotel and Universal being unhelpful I was able to sort things out pretty easily myself and that is worth a lot to me.
I didn't even bother claiming meals as it was pretty much an extra day of holiday (glass half full view) or transport to the airport since I got a Lyft and I'd have done that anyway, so no loss.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!