Oh 'Ohana

Pluto1976

Mouseketeer
Recently back and while there we dined at 'Ohana. There were some pros, but the cons (and not just the food) will make it a long time before going back b/c this once pretty good restaurant is now a shell of itself.

That said, let's start with the pros; the mixed green salad was great and so were the shrimp. The service started as rushed but was quickly corrected when we explained our preference to enjoy each course and not have everything on the table at once.

Waiting in the GCH it was noticed the wonderful smell from the 'Ohana grill was missing and as we walked to our table the reason for this was quickly apparent. Plastic shields which enclose the entire grill area have been installed and from talking to a CM there is a new ventilation system which presumably ventilates all of the wonderful grill smells out of the restaurant/GCH. The plastic shields also makes is more difficult to see the cooks grilling the meat. This takes allot away from the ambience of this once pretty good restaurant.

Next, instead of skewering the chicken and cooking it, the new method is to grill the entire chicken thigh. While grilled chicken thighs can be tasty, these were served with rubbery skin and chimichurri sauce plopped on top of the chicken as an afterthought (i.e. not heated with the chicken on the grill). The first round of steak was well done and we were told this is the default level of doneness. Fine. The server had a skewer cooked to a lesser temperature and the steak was so chewy it could not be eaten.

Finally, they changed the bread pudding recipe. I believe the new version is topped with pineapple. I could have stopped at, "They changed the bread pudding recipe".

To the staff's credit we did speak with a manager about our experience with the food and an agreeable discount was applied. Between the change in atmosphere (i.e. no oak grill smell, no skewers) and changes in the food, this will be a place we can avoid which is a shame given the pretty good restaurant is used to be.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, does sound like the changes have not been for the better.

It's such a shame it has turned out this way, at one time it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Now with the lackluster service, food, and big price tag it's a perfect storm of disappointment. Yet it is generally a tough ADR to score, I wonder how much is repeat business over the past 5-10 years.

It's such a shame it has turned out this way, at one time it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. Now with the lackluster service, food, and big price tag it's a perfect storm of disappointment.

Agreed! We could accept the higher price in the past b/c the food was pretty good and combined with the atmosphere (ex. open grill to see and smell, the live ukulele player walking through the dining room) it was worth it.

Hopefully, they take everyone's feedback and make changes, but with folks clamoring to get an ADR there I doubt it.

People keep this restaurant full every night, so Disney doesn't fix anything in spite of all the complaints.
It's a shame because it use to be so good and a fun evening for a family.

We could accept the higher price in the past b/c the food was pretty good and combined with the atmosphere (ex. open grill to see and smell, the live ukulele player walking through the dining room) it was worth it.
They used to have a combo playing live, there was a singer and one or two other musicians. This place has really pared back on what used to make it special. Oh well, I still like the lounge, and with Trader Sam's I can still get a tropical fix.

This is so sad. Used to be our favorite. We already didn’t plan on going back in May.

How about breakfast, is it worth it?

We did not experience breakfast so cannot comment on that. I know no characters are currently present for breakfast, so I would recommend checking out the menu and seeing if the items are something that interests you and your family.

'Ohana used to be a "must do" for us every trip. Even the last few years when you couldn't get an ADR we would we would go the walk up route, (which surprisingly we were always successful at). The last few times we went the food was underwhelming, but we did still go because it was 'Ohana. This was before the restaurant closed because of the RONA. At this point, we will never go back. They've outpriced themselves. The base quality of the food as well as the recipe changes have turned a must do into a never again. I've noticed some complaints about service. Maybe we were lucky but that's is the one thing we have never had there, bad service. Sad because we have celebrated many birthdays and anniversaries there.
I know this is an 'Ohana thread but I want to throw another disappointment. Another must do every trip was Trail's End buffet. Won't be going back there until it has been returned to it's old self. We liked to drive over and bring friends and family who visit us. No longer.

I seriously don't see anything wrong with your experience.

The shields = covid, it ruins everything...cant fault o'hana for doing the level of overcorrection everyone expects
  • The Chicken = it is a new recipe, recipes change
  • The Beef = the chef knows how to cook it to get the best out of the meat, YOU chose to change that and we not happy with what your changes created
  • The Bread Pudding = it is a new recipe, recipes change
Not really sure how any of that warranted a discount off your bill.

I seriously don't see anything wrong with your experience.

The shields = covid, it ruins everything...cant fault o'hana for doing the level of overcorrection everyone expects
  • The Chicken = it is a new recipe, recipes change
  • The Beef = the chef knows how to cook it to get the best out of the meat, YOU chose to change that and we not happy with what your changes created
  • The Bread Pudding = it is a new recipe, recipes change
Not really sure how any of that warranted a discount off your bill.
I think it would be better if this restaurant was re-imagined with a new name and theme. 'Ohana has been around for a long time and that brings certain expectations which they are obviously having trouble meeting. The manager gave the discount in accordance with not meeting expectations.

My husband and I just got back from Ohana. We had just sat down and our “cousin” brought out our bread, salad and glasses of water. She then took our drink order. No sooner than that did the entree arrive!!! I even said are they trying to move us along or what!!! It was a total turnoff for me! The tables on either side of us were not served in this rushed manner. Ohana has seen the last of us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter