Official Wine & Dine 2018

Hi, new Disney runners here. A few questions about the park+transportation to start+making way to corral. We're staying offsite at Universal so will be coming in hot via rental car. We don't stretch or warm up and plan on sleeping/arriving as late as possible. If our proofs are accepted we'll be in the 2-hour finish time neighborhood. Also assuming same start/parking setup as 2017.

Q1. When is the latest we can arrive at Epcot parking and expect to make the start of our corral?

Q2. Do the race organizers separate runners into corrals in the pre-race window? Are late arrivals able to hop into their corral in the 5-5:30 time frame?

Please educate us. Thanks!

Hi, new Disney runners here. A few questions about the park+transportation to start+making way to corral. We're staying offsite at Universal so will be coming in hot via rental car. We don't stretch or warm up and plan on sleeping/arriving as late as possible. If our proofs are accepted we'll be in the 2-hour finish time neighborhood. Also assuming same start/parking setup as 2017.

Q1. When is the latest we can arrive at Epcot parking and expect to make the start of our corral?

Q2. Do the race organizers separate runners into corrals in the pre-race window? Are late arrivals able to hop into their corral in the 5-5:30 time frame?

You'll get a better answer, but I wouldn't cut it that close unless you are know exactly where all the road closures are and can avoid them. If sleep is that important, I would either go to bed earlier or I would get to the parking lot and then set all the alarms and take a nap in the car.

I can’t tell you about leaving from EPCOT. From my experience last year you though, you can make it to the drop off at MK a little before 5:00 and still make it to any corral. I’d say if you were in a middle corral or back you could be a little bit later. I personally wouldn’t exchange the stress for a little bit of extra sleep, but to each their own. Good luck.

They want you in your corral by 5am. Corral A is brought to the starting line at 5am...then corral B a few minutes later...then C...etc. The race starts at 5:30, but they line up the corrals long before that. The corrals are not set up in front of the starting line. They are off to the side and there is a chute that each corral has to walk through to get to the starting line. Don’t be that person trying to push and shove through the people in the lower corrals because you showed up late.

They want you in your corral by 5am. Corral A is brought to the starting line at 5am...then corral B a few minutes later...then C...etc. The race starts at 5:30, but they line up the corrals long before that. The corrals are not set up in front of the starting line. They are off to the side and there is a chute that each corral has to walk through to get to the starting line. Don’t be that person trying to push and shove through the people in the lower corrals because you showed up late.

In corrals before 5 am. Check. No pushing/no shoving. Check. Thanks for sharing!

Q1: I've never cut it close, so I can't provide an exact time, but there is a cut-off for getting on buses at the EP parking lot for transport to TTC. That info will be in the race guide. At bare minimum, follow that! The hitch is that the later you get to race time, the more traffic on the roads, and the more people there are trying to get form buses to corrals - all of that can make what should be a quick trip take a lot longer. And...

Q2: ... they absolutely close corrals quite a while before they start. If you're assigned an early corral and want to start in it, you really do need to get there early, AND be in your corral pretty early. Iv'e had friends shut out of their A, B, C corrals because they weren't in them early enough, and I was nearly shut out of a 2nd-to-last corral after waiting in a looooong porta-potty line. Worst case, if you miss your assigned corral, you'll be allowed in the next corral still open.

Q1: I've never cut it close, so I can't provide an exact time, but there is a cut-off for getting on buses at the EP parking lot for transport to TTC. That info will be in the race guide. At bare minimum, follow that! The hitch is that the later you get to race time, the more traffic on the roads, and the more people there are trying to get form buses to corrals - all of that can make what should be a quick trip take a lot longer. And...

Q2: ... they absolutely close corrals quite a while before they start. If you're assigned an early corral and want to start in it, you really do need to get there early, AND be in your corral pretty early. Iv'e had friends shut out of their A, B, C corrals because they weren't in them early enough, and I was nearly shut out of a 2nd-to-last corral after waiting in a looooong porta-potty line. Worst case, if you miss your assigned corral, you'll be allowed in the next corral still open.

Thank you PrincessV. This is exactly the info we were hoping for.

Anyone not made travel plans or started training yet?

I just found out that one of my "running buddies" hasn't even started walking yet. No plane tickets or travel plans, nothing other than the TA package that I booked. She's blown off everything, and is expecting to just show up to Disney and I'll have everything taken care of for her: room, tickets, FP, dining, race costume, etc. In her words, she's just going to "show up and have fun" because I'm planning everything. (I only did planning for me & my family member traveling with me.) She even told her adult daughter that she could show up to cheer her on & just crash in our (already full) hotel room. :mad:

I did tell her that a runDisney 5k was for fun, not timing, but this laissez faire attitude has me kind of hoping that my other running buddy & I are placed in a different corral so that, /sarcasm/ darn it, we can't run with her. ;):confused3

I just found out that one of my "running buddies" hasn't even started walking yet. No plane tickets or travel plans, nothing other than the TA package that I booked. She's blown off everything, and is expecting to just show up to Disney and I'll have everything taken care of for her: room, tickets, FP, dining, race costume, etc. In her words, she's just going to "show up and have fun" because I'm planning everything. (I only did planning for me & my family member traveling with me.) She even told her adult daughter that she could show up to cheer her on & just crash in our (already full) hotel room. :mad:

I did tell her that a runDisney 5k was for fun, not timing, but this laissez faire attitude has me kind of hoping that my other running buddy & I are placed in a different corral so that, /sarcasm/ darn it, we can't run with her. ;):confused3

You did tell her it was for fun, not time so......

I wouldn't stress - because that is correct. If your goal has changed then just mention that up front so it isn't a shock when you all arrive. Might be kind of a bummer to switch it up like that on her though but if you must then you must. I've done the slow down for a family member who pretty much had done the same thing as your friend for the Darkside a couple of years ago. It was fine and we did have fun and I'm glad I stuck with her because it was something we planned to do together. I'd have been kicking myself ever since then for leaving her so no regrets at all.

And yep - I don't have airfare yet. And really haven't trained as I had a foot injury that is now just going to allow me to start longer, continuous walks. It wasn't the plan but it's the reality.

Well, now is the time to have a talk with her and lay the ground rules for you to be able to run YOUR race. I hate confrontation so I feel for you.

If your goal has changed then just mention that up front so it isn't a shock when you all arrive.

Good point. I think the shock of changing plans is what's gotten me all worked up now. Back when the 3 of us signed up, based on advice from this group, I made it clear that I'm slow and walk/run at a certain pace because otherwise I have complications from past injuries. Expecting that I might be the one to slow at least one of them down, I explained that we didn't have to run together, and there would be time for group pictures before the race & after the finish line. For the 2 who've never done any running before, we had small goals & deadlines like "Be able to walk 3 miles by [date]". We live in different states though, so there was no real way to hold each other accountable. It might be different if this trip was all about her, but it's also the first 5k for my friend, and she's stuck to her goals and pacing intervals.

It's good to know that not everyone has booked flights yet. Good luck with your healing foot! I understand not training in your circumstances; fortunately, that's not the case here.

Well, now is the time to have a talk with her and lay the ground rules for you to be able to run YOUR race. I hate confrontation so I feel for you.

This. 100%.

For the race and the travel plans.

I have some friends I love that I can't travel with or I have some friends that are excellent travel buddies but not someone I'm close to for day to day stuff.

Just run your own race at your own pace and don't worry about anyone else. If you start together and she falls back just wish her luck and keep with your original plan. You don't have to adjust your pace to run with anyone else if you don't want.

As for the rest, I'd make sure they know what they need to do and know. It might be time for a "come to Jesus" talk.

I just snagged a room at the Polynesian for Saturday night before the race. What is the best way to get to the corrals from there? Is the monorail running at that time or can I walk over to the lot? I'm really excited to be staying there. We are getting close to race time now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter