Official Wine & Dine 2018

How does one get their medals through airport security? I'm thinking that I took them out of my personal item bag and put them in a bin all their own and then carried them on-board. I really don't see myself trusting or rather risking the airlines with them in my checked bag the way they lose luggage. It would be my luck my bag would go missing with something I worked so hard for and earned. Something irreplaceable or rather hard to do so. But then again, I really don't remember going through security with them either. Obviously its been a while.

I keep my medals in the checked bag so I don't have to worry about it but unless the race you do has medal with a shape likely to trigger advanced screening, like an arrowhead shape, you are fine.

I am participating in my first Disney half marathon at the 2018 W&D! YAY!!! Because of poor planning on my part and my impulsive urge to test my running skills ahead of next January's marathon weekend, I signed up late and am running this race by myself and wondering if there are another folks in the same boat? Also, here's a shout out to any gay men out there running the race? Would be nice to have some company.
Congrats and welcome.

How/where do you get your challenge medal after the half?
TIA
After you get your half medal, there will be an area marked for Challenge participants - you go through there and you'll be given the challenge medal. It'll all be marked on the finish area map in the race guide.

I am participating in my first Disney half marathon at the 2018 W&D! YAY!!! Because of poor planning on my part and my impulsive urge to test my running skills ahead of next January's marathon weekend, I signed up late and am running this race by myself and wondering if there are another folks in the same boat? Also, here's a shout out to any gay men out there running the race? Would be nice to have some company.

I'm running solo, but even when I have a friend doing a race we each run solo. We'll hang out together in the corrals if we can, sometimes her in the back of her's and I'm in the front of mine, but we always run our own pace. She's faster than I am so if it's an out and back we'll pass by and wave. Though it's not unusual for me to catch up to her, she runs the entire thing and I interval run. If she has issues or is under trained I'll catch up enough to at least see her in front of me and occasionally pass her.

The only time I like having someone is waiting to start the race then I'm good to listen to my podcasts and keep my own pace.

I always have them in my carry on and have never had a problem. Even the sharp pointy goofy one from this years marathon weekend.
I have had my carryon pulled off the belt and TSA inspect them — but never an issue getting through ultimately. And this only happened once btw.

I’ve never really had a problem either and I’ve hauled a year’s worth across the country. Then again, I travel a lot and don’t make an issue out of everything or have to get the last word in either, so ... :confused3

Never had a single problem with them in a carry on.

Must’ve been a rare occurrence.

Agreed. That’s why I mentioned it only happened once. We’ve done probably 10 race wknds. And we ultimately got through medals and all. And it was a bit odd, in that the first one he pulled aside was my 10 yo daughter, then I guess as they scanned all the bags they saw something similar! We did end up having a nice chat with the agent about all the SW medals, including the Kessel Run, so not too bad! :chewy:

Last edited:
My favorite time I got pulled out at TSA was because I had a 5 pound bag of skittles and a 5 pound bag of Swedish fish for my husband.

We had a good life.

Oh and Epsom salts in checked luggage means you get a note from the tsa as well.

The only time I've ever had a problem with a medal was in Amman. The security guy tried to take my Rocketman tri medal (a miniature Saturn V rocket). I know he wanted it for himself or his kids, as he kept claiming it was a weapon or shaped like a weapon. I argued with him and his supervisor and the manager for close to 30 minutes before they finally relented. No way I was leaving it behind.

Question regarding flights for reference. I heard a few of yall are flying Southwest. Can you tell me how long you watched flight prices and when you finally booked for race weekend? Did it drop a good bit or did you just get tired of waiting? I have a short trip in March and need a flight from MSY to MCO, arriving on a Thursday and returning on a Sunday. Before I committed to the trip prices were around $380 for two people. They are now $499, should I book or wait?

Question regarding flights for reference. I heard a few of yall are flying Southwest. Can you tell me how long you watched flight prices and when you finally booked for race weekend? Did it drop a good bit or did you just get tired of waiting? I have a short trip in March and need a flight from MSY to MCO, arriving on a Thursday and returning on a Sunday. Before I committed to the trip prices were around $380 for two people. They are now $499, should I book or wait?
I book usually early and keep watching to see if they go down even more. I am booked for marathon weekend already for example. My November flights did go down and I was able to get a credit which I then used towards January flights. I pay roughly $240 round trip for myself from Milwaukee to MCO. Sometimes its cheaper than that though.

Since it is Southwest I'd book. If the flights do go down you can get a voucher for the difference.

Just got an Email saying I can now select my FP+..... um my day was September 2nd and I booked them already.... I'm hoping with all the IT glitches with MDE as of late getting this email now was a fluke and I didn't loose all my reservations especially since we managed to get SDD on 60+3

Just got an Email saying I can now select my FP+..... um my day was September 2nd and I booked them already.... I'm hoping with all the IT glitches with MDE as of late getting this email now was a fluke and I didn't loose all my reservations especially since we managed to get SDD on 60+3
Lol I got that too!

I guess it just took asking this question to make the price drop. It went down from $499 to $411. While I have seen it lower, this was the acceptable price range for this trip! So its official now lol!

I always get an email after the fact. I chalk it up to Disney being a little late to the party, but thanks for the reminder to double check I've gotten everything I wanted, when I want, and possible conflicts in the now re-planned plans cuz something else better came along in the meanwhile, etc, etc.:oops:o_O

I'm running solo, but even when I have a friend doing a race we each run solo. We'll hang out together in the corrals if we can, sometimes her in the back of her's and I'm in the front of mine, but we always run our own pace. She's faster than I am so if it's an out and back we'll pass by and wave. Though it's not unusual for me to catch up to her, she runs the entire thing and I interval run. If she has issues or is under trained I'll catch up enough to at least see her in front of me and occasionally pass her.

The only time I like having someone is waiting to start the race then I'm good to listen to my podcasts and keep my own pace.
Thanks. That is good to know. I think everyone goes into his/her own zone while running and I get that trying to keep up or slow down to accommodate others can be a distraction and takes away from one's focus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter