Official Wine and Dine 2017 thread

Pack your peanut butter, granola bars, and bagels in your checked bags. Apparently TSA is checking food items closer now. They're going to really wonder what gels are. :)

Pack your peanut butter, granola bars, and bagels in your checked bags. Apparently TSA is checking food items closer now. They're going to really wonder what gels are. :)

I've had them confiscate (and toss :sad:) an unopened Nutella before.....

The 3-1-1 allowance for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin.

One pack of gel or chew or Jiff-to-Go is less than 3,4oz. More than 10 of these fit in the quart-size bag. I am carrying the “essentials” with me in that bag including a small sunscreen.

Do they consider bagels and granola bars as liquid now?

As someone who travels for a living, I can tell you that for some reason (real or imagined), TSA is currently looking closer at all food items. Quoting back the 3-1-1 allowance to them will get you nowhere. I would suggest a "belt and suspenders" approach; put your gels and sunscreen into your carry-on, but also throw a few spares into your checked bag. Then don't worry and have an uneventful flight!

Last edited:
The 3-1-1 allowance for carry-ons = 3.4 ounce (100ml) bottle or less (by volume) ; 1 quart-sized, clear, plastic, zip-top bag; 1 bag per passenger placed in screening bin.

One pack of gel or chew or Jiff-to-Go is less than 3,4oz. More than 10 of these fit in the quart-size bag. I am carrying the “essentials” with me in that bag including a small sunscreen.

As someone who travels for a living, I can tell you that for some reason (real or imagined), TSA is currently looking closer at all food items. Quoting back the 3-1-1 allowance to them will get you nowhere. I would suggest a "belt and suspenders" approach; put your gels and sunscreen into your cary-on, but also throw a few spares into your checked bag. Then don't worry and have an uneventful flight!

Read about this online and have not personally experienced it yet so take it with a grain of salt: They have been individually swabbing wrapped food items. So if you have three granola bars, they might swab all three. And so if anyone is planning to take home a giant sack of Halloween party candy...there are people online reporting that it made them almost miss their flights. So check those or eat it all before your leave (haha)
I'll still be bringing some snacks (flying with a 5 year old afterall) but I may try to limit it and get little snacks inside the terminal after going through security.

Increased scrutiny on foods, liquids and electronics: https://www.tsa.gov/news/releases/2...-baseline-stronger-domestic-security-measures

No change to 3-1-1 rule, in that these items are still allowed in carry-on bags. People have been reporting much greater scrutiny of those times, though.

"There are no changes to what travelers can bring through the checkpoint; food and liquid items that comply with the 3-1-1 liquids rule, electronics, and books continue to be allowed in carry-on bags."

Last edited:

As someone who travels for a living, I can tell you that for some reason (real or imagined), TSA is currently looking closer at all food items. Quoting back the 3-1-1 allowance to them will get you nowhere. I would suggest a "belt and suspenders" approach; put your gels and sunscreen into your cary-on, but also throw a few spares into your checked bag. Then don't worry and have an uneventful flight!

The Earl of Sandwich is after TSA at DTW, so I'm golden next time I fly out of the North terminal.:banana::banana::banana:

Apologize if this is a question that's been answered a thousand times. If my family pre-purchases memory maker...can we get both my husband and my race photos included in that? Will we be able to just use the bib # format for pulling up our race photos and then link it over to memory maker/download them?

I did the one day purchase at Disneyland for Tink half, but have never done it for a WDW race.

Apologize if this is a question that's been answered a thousand times. If my family pre-purchases memory maker...can we get both my husband and my race photos included in that? Will we be able to just use the bib # format for pulling up our race photos and then link it over to memory maker/download them?
GOOD QUESTION. I need this answer too. Haha.

I have flown twice this past month from Las Vegas to Detroit and I swear every TSA agent had a different rule they wanted to enforce. Someone was pulling their laptop out of their bag and the TSA agent saw a bag of pretzels in their bag and said "Oh you need to take those out, too." then I noticed the girl behind me had protein bars that she didn't take out and her bag went through screening fine. Two security checks didn't care that I didn't pull my Kindle out, one did. One security check made us put our shoes directly on the line and not in a bin. It's like the TSA agents wake up and pick one thing to harp about that day and go for it. There is no consistency. I keep telling my husband that our carry-ons have to be clothes only, I am not giving the TSA any reason to mess with me.

I have flown twice this past month from Las Vegas to Detroit and I swear every TSA agent had a different rule they wanted to enforce. Someone was pulling their laptop out of their bag and the TSA agent saw a bag of pretzels in their bag and said "Oh you need to take those out, too." then I noticed the girl behind me had protein bars that she didn't take out and her bag went through screening fine. Two security checks didn't care that I didn't pull my Kindle out, one did. One security check mad us put our shoes directly on the line and not in a bin. It's like the TSA agents wake up and pick one thing to harp about that day and go for it. There is no consistency. I keep telling my husband that our carry-ons have to be clothes only, I am not giving the TSA any reason to mess with me.
I think this happens every time they tweak the rules.

I did the one day purchase at Disneyland for Tink half, but have never done it for a WDW race.
Yep you can put up to 5 bibs in per race. It's just like how you did for Tink.

I will say last year we had 6 running the 5k and could put all 6 in, but the 2 of us on my MDE account are AP holders so maybe that's why I could do more than 5?!? I just know I've read limit of 5 per race somewhere. Then we had 2 for the 10k & 3 for the half all on there too.

<--- Floridian here... Um, lows in the 60's WILL be a big cool down here, lol! My low last night was 76, so yeah - I'm pretty jazzed about 60s. :) We're getting a cold front dipping down right now: that's going to cool things down considerably. But when it lifts back out, temps will rise. Because Florida. I'm seeing forecasts of highs in the low- to mid-80s, lows in the 60s for end of next week, with the possibility of another cold front coming through sometime around race weekend. Still WAY too early to count on anything, though!

I will say last year we had 6 running the 5k and could put all 6 in, but the 2 of us on my MDE account are AP holders so maybe that's why I could do more than 5?!? I just know I've read limit of 5 per race somewhere. Then we had 2 for the 10k & 3 for the half all on there too.
Where do you put the bib# in? do you do this after the race or before?

If you do it too early, the system may not recognize the bib number. You can try to put it in ahead of time...keep in mind it may take a few hours for pics to start showing up.

It’s a 16-digit code like what you get from PhotoPass when they give you the cards. The code should be in the Event Guide, and I think on the backs of the race bibs as well.

Last edited:
Just to add to what Ariel484 said, here's from the event guide with the codes you'll use. I do it after the race, usually sometime that afternoon.

PHOTOS
Disney PhotoPass Photographers will be on the course and at the finish line taking your photos during the race. Smile and make sure your bib is in view on the front of your shirt! Race photos will be available to view at MyDisneyPhotoPass.com (select Walt Disney World) and on the My Disney Experience app within 24 hours of the event. To link your photos, you will need to enter the 11-digit RaceID followed by your 5-digit bib number. If your bib number is less than 5 digits, please add zeros at the beginning of your bib number to complete the 16-digit code. You may link up to a maximum of five runDisney bib numbers for each race.
See below for RaceIDs; replace the x’s with your bib number to complete the code:
KIDS RACES 2017-WINE-KIDx-xxxx
5K 2017-WINE-D5Kx-xxxx
10K 2017-WINE-10Kx-xxxx
HALF MARATHON 2017-WINE-HLFx-xxxx

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter