Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now about the Disney Visa... I have one, have had it for a while but I thought the discount was just at certain locations. If I am reading correctly I can purchase a whole mess of stuff (like I did this last marathon weekend) and get a discount???
You can get a 10% discount at the official RunDisney booth at the expo when you spend over $50!

boo to the 1/2 marathon being the same price as the full. 1/2 the race should be at least a little less. When do they usually say if there's a disney visa discount?
I think last year the email about the discount came out about a week or a little less before registration. There was a link to preregister for the weekend with the email as well.

I read on the Facebook page that there is a DVC discount on registration. Anyone know anythin about it? I'm assuming you can't use more than one discount. Hopefully I can get something between DVC, Disney Visa and my AP.

Was just reading the info on Run Disney about proof of time. I can use my 2010 DL half time, which is my PR:cool1: Anyone who has experience know where a 2:16 half time will place me for the half or full? I am not expecting to be in Corral A:lmao:, but C might be nice. Thanks!

Was just reading the info on Run Disney about proof of time. I can use my 2010 DL half time, which is my PR:cool1: Anyone who has experience know where a 2:16 half time will place me for the half or full? I am not expecting to be in Corral A:lmao:, but C might be nice. Thanks!

My proof of time for the 2012 WDW half put me at 2:30 and I was in Corral C

My proof of time for the 2012 WDW half put me at 2:30 and I was in Corral C

Thanks Rick! Like I said, I am not figuring to start in Corral A, but being out in front of that many more folks does help a bit. Though my strategy for the half is to lollygag and stop for photos and characters, and offer to take pix of other runners, since I will be saving my best effort for the full the next day.

Anyone else getting itchy to be "officially" training? :thumbsup2

I think Corral C was for those between 2:00-2:30 for the 1/2, so that's probably where you'll land with a 2:16. I submitted a 2:10 1/2 as my time which placed me in C. I had a friend who submitted a 2:05 1/2 that was in corral C as well. It's definitely nice starting earlier in the race, I think my favorite Corral to be in is B. Being in A, you kind of miss all the celebration at the start because you start running right away. I like seeing the celebration for the start of the race then getting to start running soon after that.

Anyone know how that half time will translate for corral placement for the full? About the same or further back? I am running my first full in October, so I can always use that if its good (doubt it will be BQ good, but hey, you never know:rotfl:). Just wondering how hard I am going to have to train to get a better start LOL.

ETA: when I ran WDW 1/2 in '10 I was in the last corral, so anything is an improvement over that!

Did anyone else here realize that they are doing not one but THREE pasta dinners this coming year? I'm still not happy about the moving of the weekend but this just made me very happy. This means no more having to deal with the gigantic crowd outside Olive Garden the night before the race!!!!!!!!!

And they're having an after party this year wicked!!!! Okay Run Disney you are slowly starting to make up for the changed race dates.

ETA: Doesn't apply to me but apparently they are also doing three sets of kid races. Not that I'm complaining but was Run Disney given a bigger budget this year for this race? Or maybe there having a big year because its number 20? Either way not complaining about the new stuff.

And speaking of new stuff, I saw an ad for WDW marathon weekend in Runner's World magazine and it says there is a "spectacular surprise at mile 20!" :cool1: Wonder what that could be?????

Did anyone else here realize that they are doing not one but THREE pasta dinners this coming year? I'm still not happy about the moving of the weekend but this just made me very happy. This means no more having to deal with the gigantic crowd outside Olive Garden the night before the race!!!!!!!!!

And they're having an after party this year wicked!!!! Okay Run Disney you are slowly starting to make up for the changed race dates.

ETA: Doesn't apply to me but apparently they are also doing three sets of kid races. Not that I'm complaining but was Run Disney given a bigger budget this year for this race? Or maybe there having a big year because its number 20? Either way not complaining about the new stuff.

Do you think you are supposed to go to the dinner the night before your race? I was thinking maybe Friday night would be better. I would want to be off my feet and in bed before the Saturday night party ended.

I saw an ad for WDW marathon weekend in Runner's World magazine and it says there is a "spectacular surprise at mile 20!" :cool1: Wonder what that could be?????

Huh, 20 was where the hills were before correct (didn't make it that far last time)? Well the map for this year isn't out yet and I have a hard time seeing a surprise on a set of overpasses so they may be altering the course somewhat. There aren't too many ways (the only way I can see on a map is to maybe take us up Buena Vista instead of down the parkway). Oh well I'm curious now. And if Run Disney does take us away from those hills (I'm sorry but hills near the wall is not fun) all will pretty much be forgiven.

Okay looking back it hurts now to realize how close I came to AK and stopped.

Do you think you are supposed to go to the dinner the night before your race? I was thinking maybe Friday night would be better. I would want to be off my feet and in bed before the Saturday night party ended.

I've pretty much got it ingrained in me to go carbo load the night before the race. The only reason why I did the WDW party last year is because I love their parties. The party usually doesn't run too late (or at least for me) ends about 8:30 ish or at least the other ones did. And considering I am the type that at the earliest can maybe get to bed 9:30-10:00 I am perfectly fine with doing it the night before. I've pretty much learned from the past Disney races how to go to Parks without wearing myself out before the event (in other words pick an area stick to it and take lots of breaks, also means avoid WS at all costs but considering I prefer the Future World area of Epcot this isn't a loss for me (I spent a lot of time overseas as a child so WS is kind of meh for me)).

Does Disney provide transportation to events from all Disney Resorts or just a select number that are considered "host" resorts. This is my first WDW Marathon Weekend race. I have done the Wine and Dine and there were "host resorts" that had complimentary transportation provided for the racers.
Just trying to figure out what resort to book at. I know what I would prefer but also want to take advantage of the transportation as well.
Thanks for any input.

If they are holding the kid's races over 3 days, how do you know what day your child will be racing on? Or do you put your preference when you register?

Does Disney provide transportation to events from all Disney Resorts or just a select number that are considered "host" resorts. This is my first WDW Marathon Weekend race. I have done the Wine and Dine and there were "host resorts" that had complimentary transportation provided for the racers.
Just trying to figure out what resort to book at. I know what I would prefer but also want to take advantage of the transportation as well.
Thanks for any input.

WDW last year had transportation from all the resorts as far as I know. Every last one of them I believe was a "Host Resort" from what I remember so I think as long as you are on property you should be fine. The only one to maybe concerned about is AOA since its a new resort but even then its a quick walk over to Pop which did have buses. Last year the ones on the monorail line didn't have buses because of the fact the monorail was running in the morning taking runners to Epcot.

As for the kid races I would guess you be able to put a preference down. Maybe try contacting someone at Run Disney about it?

I've pretty much got it ingrained in me to go carbo load the night before the race. The only reason why I did the WDW party last year is because I love their parties. The party usually doesn't run too late (or at least for me) ends about 8:30 ish or at least the other ones did. And considering I am the type that at the earliest can maybe get to bed 9:30-10:00 I am perfectly fine with doing it the night before. I've pretty much learned from the past Disney races how to go to Parks without wearing myself out before the event (in other words pick an area stick to it and take lots of breaks, also means avoid WS at all costs but considering I prefer the Future World area of Epcot this isn't a loss for me (I spent a lot of time overseas as a child so WS is kind of meh for me)).

I have had several trainers tell me that Carbo Loading is best done 48 hours before the race, not the day before. It takes 48 hours for the Glycogen to be replenished by the meal. So the meal the night before is not doing as much benefit as eating well (and being well hydrated) starting at 3 days before and then 2 days before. Your meal the night before can be a 'lighter' meal.

Just what I have heard and what I tend to do on race week. "Your mileage may vary." :)

Anyone know how that half time will translate for corral placement for the full? About the same or further back? I am running my first full in October, so I can always use that if its good (doubt it will be BQ good, but hey, you never know:rotfl:). Just wondering how hard I am going to have to train to get a better start LOL.

ETA: when I ran WDW 1/2 in '10 I was in the last corral, so anything is an improvement over that!

I was in corral c and I think I said I would finish in 4:30 or 4:40 and used my half of 2:07 I think....could have been a 2:19, but hope that helps.

This year for the half and for the relay I used a half time of 2:28:50 as proof and that put me in C for the half and D for the relay.

I'll be using that same time for Goofy 2013 so we shall see if I end up in the same corrals...

I submitted at 10-miler time of 1:54 (11:25ish pace) and was put in Corral D for the 2012 WDW Full. I'm sure it changes from year to year depending on how many other people submit times, but it seems to me that by submitting a time you would most likely get to at least corral D...I'm basing this off of my experience of submitting a time that was not blazing fast. I'm hoping to get a faster time at this same 10-mile race at the end of this month and move up one corral in 2013. :thumbsup2

I submitted at 10-miler time of 1:54 (11:25ish pace) and was put in Corral D for the 2012 WDW Full. I'm sure it changes from year to year depending on how many other people submit times, but it seems to me that by submitting a time you would most likely get to at least corral D...I'm basing this off of my experience of submitting a time that was not blazing fast. I'm hoping to get a faster time at this same 10-mile race at the end of this month and move up one corral in 2013. :thumbsup2

Sometimes I think Disney corral assignments are completely random. I was also in D, with a 2:10 half (9:56 pace).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter