Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goofy is the plan for me. First Disney race so I am excited to run in the World.

Heading to WDW in Jan 2013 for my first 5K. Two good friends are joining me for the race and "girl's weekend". We decided this seems like a good year to do good things for ourselves!:thumbsup2

Just registered for my first full in October.:cool1: DH will be doing his first half then too. I am using the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan to train, will have to change it up for the Goofy though. I know I have read there are Goofy training plans, can someone point me in the right direction for that? Thanks

Just registered for my first full in October.:cool1: DH will be doing his first half then too. I am using the Hal Higdon Novice 2 plan to train, will have to change it up for the Goofy though. I know I have read there are Goofy training plans, can someone point me in the right direction for that? Thanks

I think once registration opens they will have plans on the Disney running site. The plans are done through Jeff Galloway. I remember someone talking about 10 and 20 mile Sat. and Sun. runs. Sounds like fun.

Bummer about your feet, Jess. :flower3: Hope they are feeling better soon.

Maybe I'll actually get to see you at WDW finally unless you are doing Spring Dash or the Coeur d'Alene Half? ;)

:) I won't be at either. I'm doing Bloomsday again, but have nothing else planned. I nearly signed up for the Coeur d'Alene Full, but talked sense into myself.

My plan is to run my first full. Maybe I'm crazy?

Has anyone stayed at Swan/Dolphin for Marathon Weekend? Was it a good choice? Is there bus transportation from there or do you need to walk over to YC or Boardwalk?
The last 2 years we've stayed in a monorail resort for Marathon Weekend (Poly in 2011, GF in 2012). It looks like we'll have to have 3 hotel rooms in 2013 (DH, Me, 3 kids, nanny, my parents) and I can't afford that at a monorail resort. So I'm starting to plan ahead. I was thinking that if we stay at S/D, my family will be able to see me during the Full on Sunday without dealing with early morning transportation issues.

Thanks,
Amanda

Headed back for the full in 2013, though I have all ready set my sights on the Goofy in 2015 (10th anniversary year I believe, figure it would be neat).

I'm doing my 5th Donald and dh will do his second Mickey in 2013. We skipped 2012, and we are happy to be back!

Maria :upsidedow

Has anyone stayed at Swan/Dolphin for Marathon Weekend? Was it a good choice? Is there bus transportation from there or do you need to walk over to YC or Boardwalk?
The last 2 years we've stayed in a monorail resort for Marathon Weekend (Poly in 2011, GF in 2012). It looks like we'll have to have 3 hotel rooms in 2013 (DH, Me, 3 kids, nanny, my parents) and I can't afford that at a monorail resort. So I'm starting to plan ahead. I was thinking that if we stay at S/D, my family will be able to see me during the Full on Sunday without dealing with early morning transportation issues.

Thanks,
Amanda

If I remember correctly, there is a bus that goes to swam/ dolphin because the same bus also stops at the YC/ BC, and maybe the boardwalk. I am almost positive I saw a sign for a Swam/ Dolphin bus after the races this year. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm really interested as well for 2014 since I can get a discount there being a teacher.

If I remember correctly, there is a bus that goes to swam/ dolphin because the same bus also stops at the YC/ BC, and maybe the boardwalk. I am almost positive I saw a sign for a Swam/ Dolphin bus after the races this year. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm really interested as well for 2014 since I can get a discount there being a teacher.

What kind of teacher discounts do they offer if you don't mind me asking? The boyfriend is a teacher, so that would work out for us! I don't see anything on their site..

I wish Disney hadn't moved the race up a week now more than ever. -sigh- I was beginning to win my parents over on the idea of spending New Years at Magic Kingdom by staying at the new Art of Animation. However, the likelihood that my parents will say yes to a near two week vacation at Disney along with a side trip to Universal Studios? Pretty small. Why did Run Disney have to break something that was never broken?

I wish Disney hadn't moved the race up a week now more than ever. -sigh- I was beginning to win my parents over on the idea of spending New Years at Magic Kingdom by staying at the new Art of Animation. However, the likelihood that my parents will say yes to a near two week vacation at Disney along with a side trip to Universal Studios? Pretty small. Why did Run Disney have to break something that was never broken?

I know! I'll be on mat leave, so it's not too bad for me. But we are hoping to bring DH's DD and we'd hate for her to miss a week of school, especially since she'll be in grade 8.

Here's the Galloway plan from last year:

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/media/ewwos/pdf/sports/rundisney/GOOFYexp.2.pdf

Eh...I don't like the look of it. It doesn't seem like enough to me. :confused3

That could just be me personally, though. I like Higdon plans better, and I've heard that lots of people have had success using Hal Higdon's Intermediate 2 plan (in the introduction paragraph he even mentions using it to train for going Goofy):

http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51140/Marathon-Intermediate-2-Training-Program

I have to say though, I don't think I want to run 5 days per week. Not only do I think that won't work with my schedule, I also think there's a strong change I'll just get exhausted/overtrained. Who knows. I think I'm going to use this plan and most likely take out the Wednesday run, and probably shift some of the Saturday runs to Fridays - keeping some of those weekends back-to-back Saturday/Sunday runs but not all of them. Lots to think about!

ETA: I'm going to correct what I said above: I think I am going to take out the Saturday runs (because I don't really care about my pace for Goofy...just want to finish without dying!). I'll move the Wednesday runs to Fridays for the most part. I'm going to move the Wednesday runs to Saturday for weeks 2, 5, 8, 10, 11 and 15 to get used to to back-to-back runs. I'm sure you didn't care, but there you go! And I should also add that the idea of 3 20-milers freaks me out!!!

And good luck in October!

Thanks,
Amanda

Amanda - I didn't stay at S/D, but I did stay at the Beach Club Villas for Marathon weekend 2012. All of the Epcot resorts share buses. I remember the drop-off order coming back from the race was Boardwalk, S/D, Yacht and then Beach. So it's kind of lame that all 5 share a bus, but they did come pretty frequently. Most of the weekend (expo, race, etc.)I just got off at the first stop and walked back to Beach, especially after the race because I didn't want my legs tightening up. :thumbsup2

And this will be great for your family to spectate. The end of the course (miles 23-25 I think) comes out from Hollywood Studios, down the path to the bridge the crosses over to Y/B on the way to the International Gateway. So you'll run right by S/D.

What kind of teacher discounts do they offer if you don't mind me asking? The boyfriend is a teacher, so that would work out for us! I don't see anything on their site..

I haven't looked at the prices in awhile, but here is a link to the info on their websites. I thought I remembered the prices being a little cheaper, but still not too bad considering the location.
http://www.swandolphin.com/promos/teachers/

I was going to run the 2012 1/2 (ran the 2010 Princess) but then I got a bulged disc and listened to months of people telling me it happened b/c I was getting older (35!!!) so I went through physio, osteo, and therapeutic Pilates and was cleared to train for the Goofy today!

I had the bulged disc in Sept 2011 and am now up to 3.5 miles running with a 10K planned in May and a Half in Sept!

I can not wait! :goodvibes

That could just be me personally, though. I like Higdon plans better, and I've heard that lots of people have had success using Hal Higdon's Intermediate 2 plan (in the introduction paragraph he even mentions using it to train for going Goofy):

I think I'm going to use this plan and most likely take out the Wednesday run, and probably shift some of the Saturday runs to Fridays - keeping some of those weekends back-to-back Saturday/Sunday runs but not all of them. Lots to think about!

Thanks for that info. I was going to ask that question today... what training plans have past Goofy runners used. I also looked at Galloway's and wasn't thrilled by it. Have you used Higdon's for Goofy before or is this your 1st time running it? I'm just curious to see what everyone has used in the past that they thought worked or didn't work.

I was cleared to train for the Goofy today!

I had the bulged disc in Sept 2011 and am now up to 3.5 miles running with a 10K planned in May and a Half in Sept!

I can not wait! :goodvibes

Congrats on being cleared and good luck next month!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter