Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on April! Registering is half the battle! ;) Funny though, I have a hard time comitting 2 hours to go to the movie theatre, but I'm all about the commitment to Goofy..... :confused3 :) So excited!!!!

Registering is almost as exciting as race day for me! I'm such a planner that I get a kick out of trying to organize and figure out which races to do.

And on the movie thing? Yea. It took quite a while Friday night for us to decide what we were going to do. Mostly because I couldn't agree to sitting in a theater for 2 hours...but I am willing to hop on a treadmill for 2 hours on a Sunday morning. Go figure.

I am going Goofy. DH is doing 5k and half. DD is doing 5k. FIL is doing half. My running coach (also DH's BFF) is doing Dopey. His wife will do the half. Another friend is doing the 5k. I *think* that covers everyone in our group. We are renting a house this time, and leaving for a cruise on Freedom of the Seas immediately after the marathon. <--------be glad none of you are riding in the car with us!:lmao:

After the Princess I went on a cruise. Such a nice reward for finishing the half! Although on the day after the half, I did a 12.5 mile bike tour around Freeport...I guess it's a good thing I wasn't sore!

I really really really to do the 5K. I'm not a runner at all, but running in Disney is enough of a motivator for me. I can't register in April though, as I'm giving birth in June and want to wait a few months after the birth to make sure that the trip is possible. Hopefully it won't fill out super fast. The only thing we'll need to decide is who, between DH and I, will be running, and who will be walking in the stroller division. :)

Only took me 60.5 years to convince my family that I was truly Dopey and that was in 2011. 2013 will be 3 years in a row of doing so. No better way to start a new year. :thumbsup2

I keep going back and forth in my mind about what I want to run during marathon weekend. Part of me wants to do Goofy again, but the more logical part of me knows I should stick with only the marathon. Has anyone done Goofy during a whirlwind trip? I'll have to arrive Friday evening and leave Monday. I'm afraid I'll be a zombie for the rest of the week if I do Goofy, but I'm so torn. I'll spectate the half if I don't run since we'll be at BLT, and I can walk outside to watch. I just can't make up my mind!

My wife and I did our first half marathon at WDW in January, and we plan to be back in 2013. We might just add the 5K to the mix, as well.

Hello Ducks

Signed up for the TOT 10 miler and looking forward to the 2013 Half.

This will be my 2nd Half and 3rd Disney Event. Liz was right after you do one you'll become addicted!! I had a blast on the first one. So exciting!!

I'm staying at Shades Jan 10 - 13

Hoping to walk 13 min. miles.

Last one I did 15 - 16 min miles.

Liz can we get a countdown clock on this thread? Just wondering. :)

I'm going to go at least Goofy...maybe, just maybe Dopey. Part of me figures it'll be a once in a life time shot and I might as well go all in. The other part of me thinks it might be a little overkill because I kind of want to do Tinkerbell in 2013 as well. But really, at that point, what's an extra 3.1 miles?

I guess we'll see!

I'm doing Tink after Goofy too! I'm calling it my ode to Disney Parks week. I'm coming home from WDW on Wednesday for laundry and driving down to DL early Friday morning.

I'm going to go at least Goofy...maybe, just maybe Dopey. Part of me figures it'll be a once in a life time shot and I might as well go all in. The other part of me thinks it might be a little overkill because I kind of want to do Tinkerbell in 2013 as well. But really, at that point, what's an extra 3.1 miles?

I guess we'll see!

I thought the same thing about adding the 5k to Goofy this past January, what's another 3.1 miles? The running wasn't bad, it was that added day of getting up early that did me in. Of course I had a non-running husband that wanted to stay in the parks late, so I wasn't too early to bed most nights. I ran a 1/2 the weekend I got home from Disney, and while my time was my slowest non-disney (AKA non playing/ excessive picture taking) 1/2 to date, I finished without too much trouble. I'm sure you'll be fine with Tink. I wish I had that kind of money to do both next year! I'll be lucky to take monday off after the marathon!

I really want to go Goofy, but it's been a rough time for my feet lately. I'm scared I won't make it through one race, much less two back to back like that. :/

I really want to go Goofy, but it's been a rough time for my feet lately. I'm scared I won't make it through one race, much less two back to back like that. :/

Bummer about your feet, Jess. :flower3: Hope they are feeling better soon.

Maybe I'll actually get to see you at WDW finally unless you are doing Spring Dash or the Coeur d'Alene Half? ;)

I will probably sign up for the 5K and the full. I don't want to do Goofy again just yet. I'd rather scream team and/or volunteer for the half. :cheer2:

I thought the same thing about adding the 5k to Goofy this past January, what's another 3.1 miles? The running wasn't bad, it was that added day of getting up early that did me in. Of course I had a non-running husband that wanted to stay in the parks late, so I wasn't too early to bed most nights. I ran a 1/2 the weekend I got home from Disney, and while my time was my slowest non-disney (AKA non playing/ excessive picture taking) 1/2 to date, I finished without too much trouble. I'm sure you'll be fine with Tink. I wish I had that kind of money to do both next year! I'll be lucky to take monday off after the marathon!

I actually doubt that I'll be able to take Monday off...especially if I go down Thursday for the 5k on Friday. Most likely, I'll probably 'only' do Goofy and Tink. As for the money...well, that's why they make bonuses ;-)

I am going for 5k. I have never exercised or ran before. Maybe I can work up to 1/2 for 2014! My daughter in law will run the 1/2 .

I'm anticipating the 5k and the 1/2. It'll be my second 1/2 after the Wine and Dine in November. I've been a few times during marathon weekend, which motivated me to do it, so I'm really excited to be a participant!

I am going for 5k. I have never exercised or ran before. Maybe I can work up to 1/2 for 2014! My daughter in law will run the 1/2 .

I started... wow, 1 year ago today with running. I started my plan on 3/22/11. I started with the Couch 2 5K program. I then moved onto a program called Bridge 2 10K and finally went into Hal Higdon's Novice 1/2 Marathon training.

I basically did the C25K program twice. I originally started only on the treadmill. My treadmill-o-doom broke down forcing me to finally go outside and do this training. I found out running on pavement and sidewalks is MUCH different than the treadmill. So I started over at week 3 of the C25k Program after I had gotten to week 7 on the treadmill.

That's not to say that was just 7 weeks, I had re-done weeks during that time period, as I had also not been exercising and was in terrible shape. My first time with C25K, I couldn't even do all of the run segments, I had to walk most of them. So I repeated weeks as I needed to until I was comfortable with progressing onto the next week in the schedule.

I "ran" the 2012 Walt Disney World Half Marathon, in 3:48:49.

If you wish to see more details of my journey, I have a link to my Blog in my signature.

Similar to Kipp, I started running last March/April and trained through until this January, when I participated in the WDW Marathon Weekend. I ran both the 5K and the Half. Before last March, I had never even considered running.

If you want to run the Half in 2013, I believe you can achieve that goal if you work out a good training plan, and take it nice and easy to avoid injury. Definitely get a good book, either by Hal Higdon or John Bingham or Jeff Galloway to help you learn about the various aspects of the sport.

And hang out here on the Disboards. There are wonderful, supportive, and knowledgeable folks here that can help you along your journey.

Have fun!

I'm seriously considering training for the 2013 Full. Did my first half at this year's Princess and LOVED it! I can't wait to run another Disney race. I'll be doing my second half in April, that is if my shin and calf stop hurting. Can't wait to learn more about the full.

Probably in for the full ... undecided about Goofy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!