Official Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend 2016 Thread (Jan. 14-17, 2016)

Early race reg is one of my favorite perks of having an AP!! Based on how the last few races have gone I'm guessing I should sign my dauther up for her kids race first and then go and sign myself up for the rebel challenge.

I think I am in for the challenge. I have airline miles that are going to expire so figure that is at least a portion of the expense, coming from the East Coast.

I'm planning on doing the Challenge, but we'll see how that goes. I'm doing the Infinity Gauntlet in November so I have to decide if I want to turn around and do it again in January.

Hi all! We were disappointed to miss the inaugural last year but were already registered for the WDW half and 5K. This year my sister and I want to do the rebel challenge, and run the 5K and 10K with DS10 -- his first 10K!!

I'm beginning to get worried about trying to register for all of these and actually getting them! That's 6 registrations that I'll be trying to get in when the DVC / AP early registration begins. I've managed similar with the Princess Half twice, ToT once and the marathon weekend, but never a DL race.

Are the DL races HARDER to get?? I'd assume there are fewer spots available, but maybe I'm wrong??

Hi all! We were disappointed to miss the inaugural last year but were already registered for the WDW half and 5K. This year my sister and I want to do the rebel challenge, and run the 5K and 10K with DS10 -- his first 10K!!

I'm beginning to get worried about trying to register for all of these and actually getting them! That's 6 registrations that I'll be trying to get in when the DVC / AP early registration begins. I've managed similar with the Princess Half twice, ToT once and the marathon weekend, but never a DL race.

Are the DL races HARDER to get?? I'd assume there are fewer spots available, but maybe I'm wrong??
Yeah, smaller capacity for DL races that's why they fill up faster. But I think you'll have a little advantage w/ the AP/DVC b/c if you don't get into something, you still have a chance when regular reg opens. I'd go RC 1st then 10k.

Just my opinion but I don't think it will fill up as fast as people think, especially if you look at avengers as any example. The half is not sold out and the infinity challenge took the entire day to sell out. infinity is the first year they have offered it, but the rebel is in its second year. I would say that Star Wars will follow the same pattern as avengers.

Yeah I am hoping it takes a little time to fill up. I have already booked 2 different hotels and will cancel one depending on what races i manage to signup for.

A question for those experience with Disney races in general. Do the medals for the 10k and half stay the same year to year? I'm curious because I noticed the Tinkerbell 10K and half did not change from last year. I really loved the half Star Wars medal from the last year and if it is the same I am definitely going to try to run the half this time so that I can get it.

A question for those experience with Disney races in general. Do the medals for the 10k and half stay the same year to year? I'm curious because I noticed the Tinkerbell 10K and half did not change from last year. I really loved the half Star Wars medal from the last year and if it is the same I am definitely going to try to run the half this time so that I can get it.

For the most part the medals stay the same until an anniversary year, except for the Disneyland 10k which changes yearly. In the past year they did start slightly changing some aspects of the medals though. The Disneyland D got a circle added around it, and this year the Tink medals have some coloring added to the wings. No major changes so far though.

The Half medals tend to change about every 5 years so I would expect the half medal to stay the same. I would expect the Challenge medal to change. I don't know about the 10K medal. Tinks stayed the same from 2015 to 2016 but I think the Disneyland 10K changed from 2013 to 2014? Anyone else know about the 10K for sure?

The Half medals tend to change about every 5 years so I would expect the half medal to stay the same. I would expect the Challenge medal to change. I don't know about the 10K medal. Tinks stayed the same from 2015 to 2016 but I think the Disneyland 10K changed from 2013 to 2014? Anyone else know about the 10K for sure?
10K was Alice & Wonderland in 2013. Last year it was Stitch. This year it looks like it'll be Snow White/Villains-themed.

I don't know if it's the excitement of Tink weekend, but I'm currently sitting on the side of the fence that has me registering for the Challenge again. Just got to keep myself eligible for legacy later on down the road. It's so hard to say no when I'm surrounded by the runDisney bug.

I don't know if it's the excitement of Tink weekend, but I'm currently sitting on the side of the fence that has me registering for the Challenge again. Just got to keep myself eligible for legacy later on down the road. It's so hard to say no when I'm surrounded by the runDisney bug.

I say do it!!!!! That is if the PDC went well for you this weekend!

I say do it!!!!! That is if the PDC went well for you this weekend!

It went ... interestingly. But I didn't train for it and I felt it this time. Of course talking about it all weekend long with other runners I may just do either the 10K or just the half. But then I'll want to do both for the extra bling.

I suppose it will all boil down to wether or not I have any money come June. Which I probably won't considering I still need airfare for Wine & Dine.

It went ... interestingly. But I didn't train for it and I felt it this time. Of course talking about it all weekend long with other runners I may just do either the 10K or just the half. But then I'll want to do both for the extra bling.

I suppose it will all boil down to wether or not I have any money come June. Which I probably won't considering I still need airfare for Wine & Dine.

No doubt these races can get expensive! I think you should at least do the Half though so you can get legacy!

I'm planning my FIRST Disney Run in January. Please forgive the newby questions, but based on the conversation so far it seems I may not even be able to get registered unless I'm DVC or APH?? My plan was to do do the Rebel Challenge, DS13 wants to do the 5K with DS9, while DS11 & DD9 are up for the 10K. Do I even have a prayer of getting all of these?? :confused:

I'm planning my FIRST Disney Run in January. Please forgive the newby questions, but based on the conversation so far it seems I may not even be able to get registered unless I'm DVC or APH?? My plan was to do do the Rebel Challenge, DS13 wants to do the 5K with DS9, while DS11 & DD9 are up for the 10K. Do I even have a prayer of getting all of these?? :confused:

Don't worry! There are only a small percentage of registrations that are open for DVC and APs. For the WDW weekend, I believe it's 1,000 spots for each race and they have way bigger races than DL. :goodvibes

That being said, with the number of people you do need to register, it would be better if someone can help you, b/c spots sell out extremely fast, some races in 20 min. So w/ help it will just alleviate some stress come reg morning. Registration will open at 9am PST/12pm EST and your best bet is to be on the rD page about 10 minutes before and about 5 min out just start hitting the refresh button until it opens. Sign up for RC 1st; I just can't remember if the 5k or 10k sold out 1st from last year though. Some other tips would be don't worry for the RC about proof of time and filling in what race it's from, b/c you can just submit proof later on; they'll tell you the deadline to do it by. Also open a word document pre-reg and type in the credit card number you are going to use that way you can make sure it's correct w/o you trying to hurry and you can just copy and paste it each time to save you a few seconds.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter