Official Miami Port Information Thread-5/1 update

Glad I found this thread! We are renting a car from MCO to MIA through Alamo and was planning to take a taxi to and from port. Now with the free shuttle, it's going to save $60!

I did have a question though. If you do online check in, do you still have to wait in the line or do the kiosk? We usually do that at MCO and can go straight to our car.

Glad I found this thread! We are renting a car from MCO to MIA through Alamo and was planning to take a taxi to and from port. Now with the free shuttle, it's going to save $60!

I did have a question though. If you do online check in, do you still have to wait in the line or do the kiosk? We usually do that at MCO and can go straight to our car.

If you're familiar with the kiosk at MCO, I would still use it since you'll be picking up there anyway. The only difference is returning to MIA.

Is there anyone that delivers cruise baskets to the POM like The Perfect Gift does for PC?

On all our PC DCL cruises, we've gotten the kids a gift basket to kick off the cruise. They love having something waiting for them in the room and we get the one with sand toys that we use at CC. I'd love to find something similar for an upcoming trip.
Thanks!

If you're familiar with the kiosk at MCO, I would still use it since you'll be picking up there anyway. The only difference is returning to MIA.

We will be picking up our return car at MIA after the cruise (to drive back to MCO) so was wondering if we can use the kiosk then.

We will be picking up our return car at MIA after the cruise (to drive back to MCO) so was wondering if we can use the kiosk then.

I dont see why you wouldn't be able to. As long as their website says there's a kiosk at that location, why not?
We used the kiosk in Las Vegas before. MCO is not likely the only kiosk location. ;)

We used the kiosks with no problem at MIA. I posted about taking the Alamo/National shuttle from the port to the Miami airport on another thread
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337359

but I'll repost it here. Hope this helps.

We took the Alamo/National shuttle which picked us up curbside right outside the Disney terminal at the port of Miami.

We opted for the early debarkation and were among the first guests to walk off the ship.

we walked out the doors - Terminal F

and turned right walking toward the shuttle stop.

you will see little signs on varios posts to direct you where to line up. The rental car pickup shuttle is the very last one all the way down at the end.

The shuttle bus was full size.

it dropped us off at the same pickup stop mmouse37 indicated in her post.

we opted to bypass the rental counter and use these really great kiosks for pickup. Very convenient, quick and easy!

We used the kiosks with no problem at MIA. I posted about taking the Alamo/National shuttle from the port to the Miami airport on another thread
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3337359

but I'll repost it here. Hope this helps.

Thanks Poison Ivy. We are flying into MCO the day before, renting a car, and the next morning driving to MIA to drop the car off and catch the Alamo shuttle. When we get back, we plan on taking the Alamo shuttle back, picking up a car from Alamo, then driving back to MCO to fly out. We are flying in and out of MCO because the flight times and cost were the best for us (even with the car rentals). Less than 3 months to go!

My DD was with friends in Miami over the weekend and the house they were staying in had this view which she sent me. She knows her mom too well. Made my day!!:goodvibes

2a698f24-86e6-4e36-a5aa-fdc94338eb5c_zps813b13c6.jpg

MJ

My DD was with friends in Miami over the weekend and the house they were staying in had this view which she sent me. She knows her mom too well. Made my day!!:goodvibes

2a698f24-86e6-4e36-a5aa-fdc94338eb5c_zps813b13c6.jpg

MJ

What a great kid! Thanks for sharing. My coworker will be sailing the Wonder next week. It's been a crazy day and she will love this picture!
Thanks!:worship:

I just booked a shuttle with SAS to take us post cruise to FLL. It was only $15 pp but still I would rather be able to book DCL transfers. We are flying home on an airline that participates with Onboard Airline check in and I really love this service. It makes debarkation about as simple and stress-free as it can get. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use it this time.
I just had to write to DCL and let them know how disappointed I am that I can't book ground transfers with them & that FLL is only a 30 min drive (per Google maps) which is closer to POM than MCO is to PC. (I'm sure they already know this.)
I also told them that so many DCL cruisers fly into FLL because flights are drastically cheaper there and DCL is losing a LOT of transfer $ to outside companies because of their lack of service.

Here is the reply I got:
11/9/14

Dear P******,

Thank you for being such a loyal Disney Guest.

I am so happy to hear that you and your family have continually chosen
Disney as your vacation destination.

Your thoughtfulness in sharing your observations with ways we can
improve our cruise experience is much appreciated.

Please be assured that your thoughts will be shared with management.
Input from our Guests is a valuable tool in determining ways we can make
their visits more convenient and enjoyable. This is very important to
us, as we are committed to offering a cruise experience that meets the
Disney standards of excellence and provides the type of magical vacation
our Guests have come to expect.

P*******, I hope this information has been helpful. If you require
further assistance in planning your visit, please feel free to contact
us.

We look forward to sailing with you again!

Have a Magical Day!

JJ
Email Communications Agent
Disney Cruise Line

Not that I expected much different but I'm crossing my fingers that they change their minds and start offering FLL transfers. I realize it's farther away than MIA and would expect it to cost more than a transfer to MIA but just wish it were possible. If anyone else feels this way please write to DCL and let them know. I can't be the only one who feels this way.:goodvibes

Traveling on the 1/4 Cruise on the Wonder and want to make sure I've got all this info correct.

We fly into Miami on 1/2.

It seems as though we should rent from either National, Enterprise, or Alamo at MIA, and then return the car the morning of the cruise and take their free shuttle to the port. Are they the only car rental companies that provide a free shuttle to POM?

On the return on the 9th, if we carry are own bags off the ship what would be the earliest we could make a return flight home to the west coast? I'm looking at a 2:00 departure, but would hate to have to sit at the airport for 4 hours. We return on a Friday 1/9 but when the ship gets back in it will be Friday rush hour and have no idea what traffic will be like from the Port to the Airport.

As an alternate, we could certainly book the 2:00 flight, and take our time debarking the ship.

From everyone's experience here, what is the best strategy?

Anybody tried the Hertz location that is supposedly AT the Port?

Anybody tried the Hertz location that is supposedly AT the Port?

It's not actually AT the Port. Here's the description and map per Hertz's website.

https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/location/MIAP37

Beth D - wrote about her experience a few pages back, which I've quoted below.

Hope this helps!

Thanks to all who have kept this thread going. We're sailing in 2 weeks, so I will post a short update of our experience with POM within this thread for everyone when I get back.

Our plans - we fly into MIA the night before our cruise. I have a room booked at the La Quinta Miami Airport (Le Jeune Road) location. They advertised free airport and cruise shuttles, as well as free breakfast. I called the hotel directly to verify. For airport pickup you call the hotel when you get to baggage claim. The shuttle will pick you up there.

When you check into the hotel, you tell them at the front desk that you need shuttle the next AM to the port. To the port after a night stay is free for up to 4 guests per room, extras are a charge. To the hotel after a cruise, is a small charge. They said they spend the early AM transporting those FROM the ships, and then around 10:30-11 AM switch to shuttling folks TO the port.

Our port arrival time is 11 AM, which is the first group. Boarding group #'s get handed out at the port according to my TA.

Our plan after - we are renting a car from Hertz, at the port location, and staying 3 days in the Mia, FTL area. I am going to call Hertz at the local stand tomorrow AM, and will update on this as well.

If anyone has any suggestions, or sees any flaws in my plans, input is appreciated! TIA! :thumbsup2

Update on our trip.

We stayed the night before at the La Quinta Airport (Le Jeune Road). It took a bit for the shuttle to pick us up, they run every 1/2 hour and we had just missed one. However when we finally got on the driver was extremely friendly and honest. DF left his wallet on the shuttle and we didn't notice. The driver found it before his next round, and when he saw us in the parking lot walking to the local restaurant, stopped us and returned it, everything intact. We dropped off a nice little reward to him for that!

This hotel was not fancy, and VERY close to the airport. Bring earplugs if you're sensitive to the voice. However the free breakfast was plentiful, the rooms were clean, and all the employees were very friendly. Their shuttle to the port was also well organized. If you don't need 5 stars, definitely a decent place for the night before.

We rented a car from Hertz for our 3 days after the cruise. They were a nightmare!

First off - if you're catching any kind of shuttle after your cruise, this area is a ZOO! There is no organization like at other places. All the various shuttle and rental car companies cram into the one end, block each other in, and almost all are white vans that makes it very difficult for anyone to distinguish their company from.

Hertz took about an hour to get a van to the port, despite tons of people calling. Then, it was a jam for the van. There was probably 30+ people waiting for the shuttle, but only about 10 plus luggage would fit. Folks were rude and all impatient with each other.

We had 5 in our group, and the car was in my name, so our group decided that only I would take the shuttle, rent the car, and come back to pick everyone else up. This was the right way to go. :thumbsup2

The shuttle took us to the downtown Hertz location - lots of traffic due to construction so it took a while. The location is attached to a downtown parking garage. Get into the office, and there's only 2 folks working. Seriously? ***… No wonder nobody answers the phones there. They took forever on each person. Once you finally get your keys, you have to take an elevator to the 5th floor to pick up your car.

Getting back to the port was actually easy, and i think i beat the shuttle back. Lots of folks still waiting.

Thanks. Sounds problematic at best. Guess we will stick with picking up Alamo at the airport.

Some charter bus company is missing out on an WDW shuttle. Would probably make some money.

So what's the consensus. Drive straight to Orlando? Or go up the coast and maybe spend a few hours at Kennedy Space Center on the way?

Traveling on the 1/4 Cruise on the Wonder and want to make sure I've got all this info correct.

We fly into Miami on 1/2.

It seems as though we should rent from either National, Enterprise, or Alamo at MIA, and then return the car the morning of the cruise and take their free shuttle to the port. Are they the only car rental companies that provide a free shuttle to POM?

On the return on the 9th, if we carry are own bags off the ship what would be the earliest we could make a return flight home to the west coast? I'm looking at a 2:00 departure, but would hate to have to sit at the airport for 4 hours. We return on a Friday 1/9 but when the ship gets back in it will be Friday rush hour and have no idea what traffic will be like from the Port to the Airport.

As an alternate, we could certainly book the 2:00 flight, and take our time debarking the ship.

From everyone's experience here, what is the best strategy?

We are on the same cruise! :yay:
We are flying red-eye from LA and arriving 8am on 1/4th
Going back renting a car from Alamo and driving up to FLL for our 2pm flight.

you can check the Miami traffic on Friday to gauge how heavy it is in the morning. I think we have to be off the ship by 9:30am, so we will probably miss the morning rush hour. It will probably be less congested like LA traffic

If you are flying with AA, maybe consider doing Admiral Club Lounge? not member, you buy the coupon tixs on ebuy.

Does anyone know if you can take SAS from POM to FLL if you did NOT use their service from FLL to POM?

I sent a request form to SAS a month or so ago and just realized I didn't get a response. (Our cruise is 1/18-23.) We arrive on the 17th so am renting a car from Alamo for that portion. I would prefer to use SAS to return to FLL for simplicity. Went to complete another request form, and noticed that my email address is too long to fit in their field. Guess I'll wait and see if they call me.

Just in case, I've booked a one-day rental for the 4 hours I'll need it on the 23rd. . .

Does anyone know if you can take SAS from POM to FLL if you did NOT use their service from FLL to POM?

I sent a request form to SAS a month or so ago and just realized I didn't get a response. (Our cruise is 1/18-23.) We arrive on the 17th so am renting a car from Alamo for that portion. I would prefer to use SAS to return to FLL for simplicity. Went to complete another request form, and noticed that my email address is too long to fit in their field. Guess I'll wait and see if they call me.

Just in case, I've booked a one-day rental for the 4 hours I'll need it on the 23rd. . .

Yes! I have SAS booked for our return to FLL. We'll be driving from WDW to POM by Alamo rental car. They had no problem that it was only one way service. They were prompt in answering my emailed questions.
I would just call and set it up if you can't do it online. I considered a private service but SAS was so much cheaper I couldn't pass it up. I figured it would be a shared ride if we were taking the DCL bus anyway.

So I have read all the posts - but still have questions:

We are flying in 2 days prior & staying at the Comfort Suites. Have used PC x3 but first time at PoM. Leaving the hotel, we are going to get the shuttle (if it leaves early, as I want to be at port by 1030h) or just take a cab.

Does the shuttle/taxi drive up to a separate luggage area & drop off luggage and them proceed to drop us off; or do we make 1 stop & porters take our luggage? I am confused about the luggage drop off process.

While I love using DCL shuttle, not sure it would pick us up at our hotel + it's $40 pp ($120 for us) when a cab is $26 . . . I think a cab/shuttle would be manageable - but would like some info on the luggage drop off process - thx!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter