• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

OFFICIAL January 2012 5K, Half Marathon, Marathon, Goofy or Dopey Challenge Thread

Yay! I posted this on the old thread too, but I loved lurking on the 2011 thread. I've done three half marathons and I have two more planned for this year (May and September). Plan to start my marathon training this summer but I can't wait to do my first full! I really want that medal!!

Since I had so much fun running my first half in 2011, I plan to run again in 2012. And, depending how the marathon relay works out, I might run that also.

I can officially say that after what I'm about to do in a few hours, I will NOT complain about the weather being too cold. (Ok, assuming that Orlando doesn't get down to single digits during Marathon Weekend.)

I'm course marshalling for the Manhattan Half Marathon (not to be confused with the higher profile NYC Marathon) for my "+1" requirement for guaranteed NYC Marathon entry in 2012. I figured I'd get it over with early, and I'm not likely to randomly decide to go for a half marathon. Little did I know we would have temps in the low teens with wind chills into the single digits if not negatives. It's going to be a cold 3 hours standing there and keeping people in the cones.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

In for the 5k (with the kid) and the 1/2 (with the wife). Trying to come up with a clever name to rival the Goofy....

I can officially say that after what I'm about to do in a few hours, I will NOT complain about the weather being too cold. (Ok, assuming that Orlando doesn't get down to single digits during Marathon Weekend.)

I'm course marshalling for the Manhattan Half Marathon (not to be confused with the higher profile NYC Marathon) for my "+1" requirement for guaranteed NYC Marathon entry in 2012. I figured I'd get it over with early, and I'm not likely to randomly decide to go for a half marathon. Little did I know we would have temps in the low teens with wind chills into the single digits if not negatives. It's going to be a cold 3 hours standing there and keeping people in the cones.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

we are leaving for disney tomorrow and i need to get a long run in today before we leave. i was thinking of doing 10 but now i'm thinking 3 might be enough for a long run. it's 14 out and says wind chill is 1! ugh! i'll be out running in the bx while you're down freezing your butt off! at least i have the prospect of florida to get me through!:)

Count me in for Goofy. Did the 1/2 in 2008 and the Full in 2010...looking forward to my first Goofy in 2012!

It's not etched in stone yet, but I plan on doing the Half next year. I had too much fun this year to not do it again. I am working on DW to do the half with me, she has walked 2 Detroit Half Marathons and has been running more, so I think she's ready.:thumbsup2
I understand that the WDW Half is very popular and always sells out, but where is the love from Disney. I just got the notice about saving $20 if you do an early registration to next years WDW Marathon Weekend. Then the fine print says only the full and Goofy receive the discount. It's my understanding that the half and full registration fee is the same, but no free park day or now no discount for the half runners. What's next plastic finisher medals:scared1:? Sorry I just had to vent a little.:hippie:
Here's to a new year of training!
Joe

I may do the full again since our APs are good through Jan 8!

Definitely Goofy, maybe Dopey. I can't decide if I want to pay the extra $45 to do the 5k with my parents or not. I guess after paying $300+ for Goofy, $45 is nothing!

I think at least one of my running club teammates is in for Goofy again next year. :goodvibes

And I *think* I convinced him that since it will be my first full (I'm truly not counting on the lottery gods smiling on me twice in the same year for the NYC Full - i got into the NYC Half lottery) I will be fine "only" doing the full. I think I convinced him of that...

Sorry,

Could not contain myself....

Combination new cam and new medal...

That is so awesome Coach! Do they have those ready for you Perfectly Goofy people at the finish line? Thats an amazing accomplishment!

I love your posts! You are so positive. Sorry about your injury, but I think you will persevere through anything! That's my spirit, as well. I was diagnosed with a bulging disk at C5/C6 just this week. I had no pain at all until I got home from running Disney. I don't think that had anything to do with it. Sports med doc seemed to think it was a cumulative injury. I'm feeling better, some, though. Starting Physical Therapy on Tuesday, and started a 10 week intensive program (Ultimate Body Challenge) at the gym today. I will persevere!

Thanks again for all your posts. They are truly inspiring!:)

I'm planning on the Goofy next year. This year was my first marathon and I had a great time (despite knee pain through the second half that I'm still getting over). I spent some time this morning trying to plot out a general plan for the year to work in some recovery time for the knee, a large 10K in my local area, half marathon in the summer (maybe Seattle Rock n Roll half), full in October (Victoria, BC), then Goofy in Jan 2012. I'm the type that needs a plan to work towards so it helps to map it out now, although I know to remain flexible based on how things develop.

The WDW Marathon weekend this year inspired my wife as she would like to run next year too. While in WDW she talked about doing the half next year, but today says she would rather try the full. I would like to see her do it and achieve her goals, but considering that she's starting from a point of little physical activity and being somewhat overweight (as well as a history of setting lofty excercise goals and not being able to complete them due to injury), I would think a better goal for her would be the half that we could run together as part of the Goofy I plan to do. However I don't want to "rain on her parade" by suggesting a lower goal and sounding discouraging. Not quite sure how to encourage her to get active, but suggest she set a more moderate goal and upgrade if she feels up to it later in the year.

Anyway, I'll be there for the Goofy and so will my wife for something. I'm just waiting for the 11 month DVC window to open up to book a nice Boardwalk view room. It was nice to hobble back through Epcot after the race, past the marathoners still coming past in Future World and at the UK, then back to the room at BWV. I'm hoping to bring along my parents to help watch our kids during the race(s). My Dad is a former marathoner and would love to come out and see us run. Maybe we'll even get DD4 and DS5 signed up for the kids races.

Looking forward to it already.

That is so awesome Coach! Do they have those ready for you Perfectly Goofy people at the finish line? Thats an amazing accomplishment!

I love your posts! You are so positive. Sorry about your injury, but I think you will persevere through anything! That's my spirit, as well. I was diagnosed with a bulging disk at C5/C6 just this week. I had no pain at all until I got home from running Disney. I don't think that had anything to do with it. Sports med doc seemed to think it was a cumulative injury. I'm feeling better, some, though. Starting Physical Therapy on Tuesday, and started a 10 week intensive program (Ultimate Body Challenge) at the gym today. I will persevere!

For all the accolades on the avatar and streak Thanks!

Yes, they had pre-hung the Perfectly Goofy lanyards on the medals in addition to the regular medal. Funny as they had a split in the chute where you had a choice left or right.... Being Disney I started taking the left for a shorter line and my arm was grabbed and I was told I needed to be in the right line. Just at the split point was the medal tent for the Perfect 18 and the Perfectly Goofy medals. I actually received the Goofy before the Mickey this year.

Take care with the bulging disc. Definitely rehabbing is the better path but I did watch my DW work hard for a year but finally had to cave to the surgery route. While successful, it is never perfect again. Just understand that if you start fighting nerve issues it is time to become more aggressive. Good luck on the rehabbing. I am hoping it is muscle oriented as much as anything else.

The WDW Marathon weekend this year inspired my wife as she would like to run next year too. While in WDW she talked about doing the half next year, but today says she would rather try the full. I would like to see her do it and achieve her goals, but considering that she's starting from a point of little physical activity and being somewhat overweight (as well as a history of setting lofty excercise goals and not being able to complete them due to injury), I would think a better goal for her would be the half that we could run together as part of the Goofy I plan to do. However I don't want to "rain on her parade" by suggesting a lower goal and sounding discouraging. Not quite sure how to encourage her to get active, but suggest she set a more moderate goal and upgrade if she feels up to it later in the year.

Looking forward to it already.

Lots of ways to handle this but a positive and structured plan may work better, allowing DW to make the decision in the May timeframe.....

Why not have her set a few intermediate goals prior to making the full/half decision? For all practicable purpose, she has 4 months from now to assure an entry into ether race - longer if you look at the rate over the last couple years. So i would suggest an early spring 5k pushing up to a possible 10k in May. Very doable yet keeps a very short term goal immediately in front of her. Then after a 10k , she will better understand the commitment of then doubling or quadrupling the distance again.

If she decides long, then it’s only a couple months of base building then she will launch into one of the longer duration full plans.

Just a thought

Definitely Goofy, maybe Dopey. I can't decide if I want to pay the extra $45 to do the 5k with my parents or not. I guess after paying $300+ for Goofy, $45 is nothing!

Go for the Dopey. :thumbsup2 I have no choice since DW and I walk the 5K and 1/2 together and since I completed my first marathon a couple of weeks ago I will be going Dopey again.

Hmmmmm

tough decision.

OK I AM IN GOOFY #7

On a more serious note; and a do what I say, not what I do note.... I went to the Doc about the Achilles and he put me on the do not run list for a few weeks..... He kind of admonished me for running after the injury became severe. The conversation went along the lines of exectly when did the Achilles start to feel severe.... About Mile 8.... Why didn't you stop..... I though about stopping if it got really bad...... You should have stopped sooner..... I have this streak of races Doc........ We went on for a while but the conversation ended after looking and seeing no calcification at the heel insertion point of the Achilles (i.e. no long term injury) and prescribing a cortisone injection along with a 2 week dose of oral treatment.

I'm glad the pro's are subscribing to this thread. I got so much info just reading the 2011 thread during the weekend you all were racing. Again, congrats to all!

Yippie!! Coach is on board! :thumbsup2

Sorry,

Could not contain myself....

Combination new cam and new medal...

awesome!!! :thumbsup2

Alright I'm going Dopey in 2012!!!! WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool1:

Is there a special Dopey medal too??

This sounds like ME! I did the 1/2 in Disney this year (my 2nd 1/2)...and am signed up for another 1/2 in May and another in October (are we running the same races? LOL)...with plans to either run the full or goofy next year!

:lmao:
If you lived in Baltimore I would say, maybe!!

how funny.. I am thinking goofy too.. but I would probably walk the 1/2 and run the full.. its all about the medal!! :thumbsup2

:lmao:
If you lived in Baltimore I would say, maybe!!

how funny.. I am thinking goofy too.. but I would probably walk the 1/2 and run the full.. its all about the medal!! :thumbsup2

I have the same running schedule and I DO live in Baltimore (east side, right by Patterson Park). What races are you doing?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter