Official DISNEY Cake Chatter Thread - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want a cake for both of my kids birthday. Need idea's on what to put on it that can be for both on one cake. I have a boy who is 9 yrs old and a girl who is 5 yrs old.

Maybe Woody and Jessie from Toy Story? Or Lilo and Stitch?

...and I want to order a special cake for my DH for our 10th wedding anniversary. Which resort would I have better luck with to deliver to the Polynesian: the GF or the Contemporary?

What I'd like is a "Mad Hatter" style cake.
Red velvet cake with white chocolate mousse filling.
Covered in fondant but with the Haunted Mansion wallpaper as the design.
On the top, I'd like the portraits from the HM stretching room and an inscription that says....

"Ten Years Together and Still Not Enough"

So, do you think this is a possibility? We aren't dining at any restaurants at the GF or Contemporary, so do you think I could get one of these resorts to deliver to our room at the Polynesian?

Thanks.....all thoughts are welcome!

I'm sure either place would be easy enough. and i love your idea! I wanted a mad hatter cake so bad, but the "starting at 160.00" price tag wasn't going to go over well with my DH especially when there is only 4 of us! lol.

There was a HM cake on the cake gallery page, they do a great job when they have a theme to work with!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that the awesome Haunted Mansion cake previously shown on these threads was made by the Contemporary.

scanne: do you have any dining plans there such as the Cali Grill or Chef Mickeys? I'd go with them if you can.

...and I want to order a special cake for my DH for our 10th wedding anniversary. Which resort would I have better luck with to deliver to the Polynesian: the GF or the Contemporary?

So, do you think this is a possibility? We aren't dining at any restaurants at the GF or Contemporary, so do you think I could get one of these resorts to deliver to our room at the Polynesian?

Thanks.....all thoughts are welcome!

One page one of this thread there are FAQ's. There is a question on there about deliveries to the Poly. I have forgotten the answer but you can find it by going to the first post on the first page of this thread :thumbsup2

Thanks for the idea's on the cake. They both are so different in what they like. I was thinking about just doing mickey and minnie in a pirate theme. Will they do a peter pan theme? So then I could use tinker bell for my daughter. Or even a pirate theme with tinker bell on it some where.

Where: California Grill
When: Monday, March 8th
Cost: $120

Here is the cake I ordered for my DH's birthday last week. I asked for a grumpy themed cake and I told them that I wanted to play up the beautiful scenery from the movie. I gave them ideas of the mine, and jewels. I also asked for a chocolate mousse filling. Instead I got a vanilla pastry cream filling. it was a good tasting cake, but I will never ever waste my money on a cake again. This is the second time I have ordered a cake to be delivered to a restaurant for a special occasion and both times have been a disappointment. Next time I am going to take the $120 and buy more wine.

Jennifer

4438965159_615f9ec33f.jpg

Here is the cake I ordered for my DH's birthday last week. I asked for a grumpy themed cake and I told them that I wanted to play up the beautiful scenery from the movie. I gave them ideas of the mine, and jewels. I also asked for a chocolate mousse filling. Instead I got a vanilla pastry cream filling. it was a good tasting cake, but I will never ever waste my money on a cake again. This is the second time I have ordered a cake to be delivered to a restaurant for a special occasion and both times have been a disappointment. Next time I am going to take the $120 and buy more wine.

Jennifer

4438965159_615f9ec33f.jpg

:scared1: Wow! I would have been disappointed too. Even a grocery store cake would beat that one!

In following this thread as a lurker for a while now, I've come to the conclusion that getting a great cake is hit or miss. I don't think I'll be ordering one any time soon. :sad2:

There is NO way I would have paid $120 for that cake. I would have been complaining big time. What is wrong with the cake situation? Is the person that is taking the orders not writing things down correctly? It is shameful that Disney hasn't gotten the cake ordering/making process streamlined so the guest is satisfied :sad2:.

There is NO way I would have paid $120 for that cake. I would have been complaining big time. What is wrong with the cake situation? Is the person that is taking the orders not writing things down correctly? It is shameful that Disney hasn't gotten the cake ordering/making process streamlined so the guest is satisfied .

Wow, you said it! That was highway robbery for that cake. I would probably email someone at Disney with a picture of it and tell them how dissatisfied I was. The one I ordered for my daughter's b-day at Rose & Crown (just the basic screen print of princesses on top) looked pretty darn similar for about 1/4 of the cost. It really is just hit and miss, which is disappointing when you're spending that kind of money. We had a great cake from the GF. A lot of work went into it and I felt it was totally worth the $85. That being said, I would seriously hesitate to order a custom cake again based on some of those shared here. My daughter is just as happy with the ones that you order from the hotline.

i wanted to say thank you to you all for your cake info and excitement! though I didn't post any questions, i did read quite a bit about what you all had to say about the custom cakes at WDW. i decided to try a cake for my daughter's third birthday at California Grill. the first person that i talked to from the cake hotline insisted that my only choices were sheet or round. so i hung up and called back a few hours later. I got a very helpful woman who suggested a "Mad Hatter" cake. we got it with chocolate cake, dark chocolate mousse, and buttercream icing with pink fondant and flower design. i mentioned that my daughter LOVES buzz lightyear (not typically a girls figure). the cake man put a picture of buzz when he is dressed up at "mrs nesbit" for the tea party. well - my three-year-old thought that was the funniest thing ever and this cake with "buzz as mrs nesbit" is the one thing that she is still talking about from disney. the cake was DELICIOUS! and what a presentation! when we got there and mentioned that we ordered a custom cake, the woman doing the check-in said "oh - i heard about that cake! WOW!" and then we heard that all night long from everyone who worked there. When they brought out the cake, about 10 people must have brought it out singing and everyone at the california grill sang "happy birthday" to my daughter. It cake was incredible, the event that is caused was incredible too! though we were a group of 18, we only ate about half of the cake. we took the rest back to the hotel with us, and ate it for breakfast the next day.

a little more info: i asked for extra thick mousse and buttercream and boy was it!!!! the mousse was almost as thick as the cake, and there was plenty of icing for my kids who only eat the icing. as well, the cake must have weighed over 10 pounds - the picture doesn't do justice to the size of it. it was probably about a foot high. INCREDIBLE!
here is a picture:

i also wanted to order a cake for our lunch at CRT that day, but was again offered just round/sheet/chocolate/vanilla. Then they mentioned to me the "glass slipper dessert" option. So I went for it and ordered 6 - one for each child and the grandma! It was chocolate in the shape of a slipper, with dark chocolate mousse, on an angel food cake pillow, with berries and writing in chocolate. they were $12.50 each, and delicious. Again the presentation was amazing. we heard people at 3 other tables near us try to order them, but they are only available with pre-order.
here is a picture:

we had a wonderful cake/slipper experience with WDW! Hope you can enjoy the pictures!

Yeah, and what really burns me about this is I had a long conversation with the person on the phone describing EXACTLY what I wanted. I ended up with little to nothing of what I requested. This is the end of cake buying for me at WDW.

I did call to complain and they gave me an email address at "Guest Communications" to lodge a complaint. You know, 10 years ago if a guest was unhappy with something, Disney tried to make it right. Now?

I can't tell you how many times on this trip I saw upset people. People upset with the way their food was cooked, or that their drink wasn't right, or the food was taking 20 years to come out of the kitchen....In in instances I witnessed, the restaurant never comped the item. I think that cast members may have a directive to replace the item that is jacked up rather than comp the guest for it.

In the case of my cake, I want my money back. it was not what I asked for and it is amateurish at best.

rant over.

jennifer

i wanted to say thank you to you all for your cake info and excitement! though I didn't post any questions, i did read quite a bit about what you all had to say about the custom cakes at WDW. i decided to try a cake for my daughter's third birthday at California Grill. the first person that i talked to from the cake hotline insisted that my only choices were sheet or round. so i hung up and called back a few hours later. I got a very helpful woman who suggested a "Mad Hatter" cake. we got it with chocolate cake, dark chocolate mousse, and buttercream icing with pink fondant and flower design. i mentioned that my daughter LOVES buzz lightyear (not typically a girls figure). the cake man put a picture of buzz when he is dressed up at "mrs nesbit" for the tea party. well - my three-year-old thought that was the funniest thing ever and this cake with "buzz as mrs nesbit" is the one thing that she is still talking about from disney. the cake was DELICIOUS! and what a presentation! when we got there and mentioned that we ordered a custom cake, the woman doing the check-in said "oh - i heard about that cake! WOW!" and then we heard that all night long from everyone who worked there. When they brought out the cake, about 10 people must have brought it out singing and everyone at the california grill sang "happy birthday" to my daughter. It cake was incredible, the event that is caused was incredible too! though we were a group of 18, we only ate about half of the cake. we took the rest back to the hotel with us, and ate it for breakfast the next day.
here is a picture:

i also wanted to order a cake for our lunch at CRT that day, but was again offered just round/sheet/chocolate/vanilla. Then they mentioned to me the "glass slipper dessert" option. So I went for it and ordered 6 - one for each child and the grandma! It was chocolate in the shape of a slipper, with dark chocolate mousse, on an angel food cake pillow, with berries and writing in chocolate. they were $12.50 each, and delicious. Again the presentation was amazing. we heard people at 3 other tables near us try to order them, but they are only available with pre-order.
here is a picture:

we had a wonderful cake/slipper experience with WDW! Hope you can enjoy the pictures!

Glad that you loved your cake! :thumbsup2 Just wondering when you got it, and how much it cost (if you don't mind sharing the cost)

Thanks in advance! :goodvibes

here is a picture:

here is a picture:

Is there any way possible you could repost bigger pictures? It is really hard to see the detail of the cake.

As for emailing guest communications, I have in the past and have gotten a response. I would email them, tell them exactly what you asked for and include pictures of the cake. It couldn't hurt.

Glad that you loved your cake! :thumbsup2 Just wondering when you got it, and how much it cost (if you don't mind sharing the cost)

Thanks in advance! :goodvibes

we had the cake March 10, 2010

i thought the cost quoted to me was $135 (though it seems from reading this board that can't be correct) - then i never looked the receipt :) my dad picked up the bill - so i will get that info from my mom and get back to you in the next day or two.

Is there any way possible you could repost bigger pictures? It is really hard to see the detail of the cake.

i believe that you can just click on the picture and it will take you to a bigger one. i will work on posting a bigger picture tonight (and even add a few more)- i am new to the boards and just figuring out how to post pictures :)

i believe that you can just click on the picture and it will take you to a bigger one. i will work on posting a bigger picture tonight (and even add a few more)- i am new to the boards and just figuring out how to post pictures :)

I'm sorry I didn't know your pictures were clickable, thanks for telling me.

we are having afternoon tea at GF

who do i call to get the mini wedding cake deliverred to us during the tea?

i think someone said it was $25 - is that right and is it called the mini wedding cake or does it have another name?

it's the 2 tier cake - i can't find the pics now (of course LOL)

we are having afternoon tea at GF

who do i call to get the mini wedding cake deliverred to us during the tea?

i think someone said it was $25 - is that right and is it called the mini wedding cake or does it have another name?

it's the 2 tier cake - i can't find the pics now (of course LOL)

Try the Cake Gallery thread to find the picture. It's a much shorter thread. About 14 pages of only pictures and descriptions of the cake. :goodvibes

(Start with the Cake Line, and you'll probably be transferred to private dining at the GF)

this is it - thank you 4orm

i called and they said it's $30. feeds 1 person (lot of money for 1 person) and they have one with a castle on top - anyone order that one?

what's the cheese cake like? or the chocolate as long as it's not dry

231036853_a98e64e902.jpg

Yeah, and what really burns me about this is I had a long conversation with the person on the phone describing EXACTLY what I wanted. I ended up with little to nothing of what I requested. This is the end of cake buying for me at WDW.

I did call to complain and they gave me an email address at "Guest Communications" to lodge a complaint. You know, 10 years ago if a guest was unhappy with something, Disney tried to make it right. Now?

I can't tell you how many times on this trip I saw upset people. People upset with the way their food was cooked, or that their drink wasn't right, or the food was taking 20 years to come out of the kitchen....In in instances I witnessed, the restaurant never comped the item. I think that cast members may have a directive to replace the item that is jacked up rather than comp the guest for it.

In the case of my cake, I want my money back. it was not what I asked for and it is amateurish at best.

rant over.

jennifer

Write to California Grill and tell them what you ordered, including the flavors and decorations (include dates, times and names if you have them), tell them what you got and even include a picture of your cake. What is so disappointing is that most of the time when people order cakes they have something specific in mind and for us DISsers we have seen pictures of cakes so we have an expectation of what we should get. Then when what you are delivered looks like it came from an apprentice at a local grocery store to say that you are disappointed is an understatement.

I know for me personally I was super excited to order a cake since it was going to be the very first time we'd be in Disney on my birthday instead of leaving a day or two before. I had seen cakes that had been done at AKV and they were pretty great. What I got looked awful and was honestly inedible. While it didn't ruin my trip or even my stay at AKV I did learn that I'll never again order a cake because there doesn't seem to be any way to know if you are going to get a hit or a miss. If I order from Publix I at least know what I'm going to get and I have yet to be disappointed with them.

Let California Grill know what your expectations were, what you ordered and let them see what you got. Include a few pictures of other cakes that you've seen done at California Grill. What you got was not a $120 cake and more along the lines of a $40 cake from the grocer. Sorry you had such a bad cake experience but at least you said your cake tasted good, that is a little something. :goodvibes

this is it - thank you 4orm

i called and they said it's $30. feeds 1 person (lot of money for 1 person) and they have one with a castle on top - anyone order that one?

what's the cheese cake like? or the chocolate as long as it's not dry

231036853_a98e64e902.jpg

I think it could feed two, DH and I split one and it was *enough* and he's a sweets guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter