Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

So far I haven't seen anyone but Disney brides ask for it, but I will keep an eye out. It really varies by location (and the whims of the Private Dining contact you're talking to, unfortunately :rolleyes: ). It's always worth asking though!

AMAZING CAKE !! The Spaceship Earth topper is fantastic & who does not love a hidden Mickey! ::MickeyMo

The churro flavor is interesting - DD would LOVE it! In the process of researching ideas for DD 13th bday cake for our July trip, fingers crossed non-brides can order this flavor as well!!

Your cake is AMAZING!!! I'm so intrigued with the churro flavor cake! Hopefully non-brides will be able to order this, including me in Dec!

I also like how you found that frosting smiley face. What a nice touch!

I had such a difficult time ordering from Boardwalk Bakery in 2017, I really wanted to try another bakery team next time around. It will be my mom's bday as well as our first Christmas season visit to WDW.

I gotta tell you, I have been having great experiences with the Yacht & Beach Club lately. They did an amazing Pandora minicake for me that I'll be posting soon, and I just ordered another cake from them that should be cool. They have a direct number you can call, they are super on-the-ball when it comes to getting back to you and taking down your order correctly, and the pastry team does fantastic work!

Your cake is AMAZING!!! I'm so intrigued with the churro flavor cake! Hopefully non-brides will be able to order this, including me in Dec!

AMAZING CAKE !! The Spaceship Earth topper is fantastic & who does not love a hidden Mickey! ::MickeyMo

The churro flavor is interesting - DD would LOVE it! In the process of researching ideas for DD 13th bday cake for our July trip, fingers crossed non-brides can order this flavor as well!!

Thanks! I think that getting the churro flavor is going to be more about whether the pastry team you're working with is willing to attempt it than whether or not you had a Disney Wedding (the latter only seems to apply when you're working with Private Dining at the Grand Floridian).

Just tell them you want white chocolate-cinnamon mousse filling with chocolate feuilletine mixed in and they should be able to replicate it!

I gotta tell you, I have been having great experiences with the Yacht & Beach Club lately. They did an amazing Pandora minicake for me that I'll be posting soon, and I just ordered another cake from them that should be cool. They have a direct number you can call, they are super on-the-ball when it comes to getting back to you and taking down your order correctly, and the pastry team does fantastic work!

Thanks so much for the latest info on pastry teams! Since our trip isn't until Dec, Mom's still deciding where she wants her bday dinner to be, so she's torn between Morimoto Asia, Storybook Dining or California Grill. She's only ever been to Morimoto before & we really love the food. I was happy to see when reading the first page of this thread that Amorette's will deliver to Morimoto! I was planning to call them for more details about their terms for delivery. This cake will be a surprise so I'll post how cake ordering goes this time around. Maybe I can convince her to consider Yachtsman then I could easily work with the Y&BC team! We have enjoyed Yachtsman in the past as well. SD & CG are new to her so she's worried that she won't like it as much as places she's been before.

Here are all the details of the Crazy '80s Epcot/Captain EO Mickey cake we had at our IllumiNations anniversary party in Epcot last week!

• When: February 4, 2019
  • Where: Epcot (but the cake was made by the Grand Floridian Wedding Cakes team)
  • Size: 6-inch tier atop a 10-inch tier
  • Flavors: Top tier – Churro cake filled with white chocolate-cinnamon mousse and milk chocolate feuilletine (flaky pastry crunch) / Bottom tier – Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
  • Price: $475 + $75 delivery fee because it was made by the GF and not Epcot

This photo was my inspiration for the cake:

And this is how nerdy I am about cake: I started to get an idea for a metallic silver anniversary cake with puffy fondant rainbows like the ones on these costumes, and I was so excited about how cool it was going to look, I actually couldn’t sleep that night!

Usually my husband helps me draw the inspiration photos I send to Disney’s pastry teams for all the elaborate cakes I want, because he’s a professional artist and I draw like a 2-year-old. But this one was a surprise, so I had to muddle through on my own. Luckily, I was able to find a line-drawing of a basic 2-tier cake shape online to start with, or else the cake probably would have turned out like a saggy trapezoid! This is what I sent to the Grand Floridian’s Wedding Cakes team (yes, I used ALL the red arrows!).

Anniversary-Cake-Design.png

As you can see, I’m a bit Type A when it comes to cake designs—I’m pretty sure there are JPL rocket schematics that have less detail than this!

But what really helped was that the Grand Floridian assigned my cake to a pastry chef I actually know! We met when I interviewed her for the Disney Wedding Podcast, and she very kindly kept me updated on the progress of my cake as it was being made. She also helped me know what to ask for in the BEO (Banquet Event Order: The bible of your event followed by every Disney cast member who works on it) and on the design so that the cake would turn out how I’d imagined.

In fact, it turned out even BETTER than I’d imagined because she used her own creativity to improve the design, adding a Hidden Mickey belt buckle to the back and elegantly solving the problem of hiding the light below the Spaceship Earth topper!

But maybe my favorite thing was something I didn’t discover until the next day, when I opened a box of leftover cake to find the top tier had slid off its cake board, revealing a FROSTING SMILEY FACE!!! It turns out her signature is to make a smiley face out of the frosting used to secure each cake to its board, and nobody has ever noticed before!

Oh, and the flavors! So, my favorite Disney cake flavor combos are…

• Red Velvet with Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting (not Disney’s Cream Cheese Mousse Filling, which tastes like cheesecake to me)
  • Chocolate Chip Cake with layered Chocolate Ganache and Peanut Buttter Buttercream Frosting (again, not mousse)
But a few years ago, Disney introduced a Churro flavor for wedding cakes, and it has been a huge hit with all the brides. It’s a cinnamon cake filled with white chocolate cinnamon mousse that has milk chocolate feuilletine (flaky pastry crunch) mixed in. I was skeptical, imagining something like a dry coffee cake or muffin. But I had to try it, so I asked Disney to make the smaller top tier churro.

You guys. It was AMAZING! The cake is so moist, and the filling tastes like Cinnabon smells! I barely even touched the leftovers of the red velvet tier, but I almost single-handedly polished off the remains of the churro tier over the course of our vacation.

Now let’s see a few dozen more photos of that cake, shall we?

This cake is stunning! The design is very striking. It’s executed perfectly which is so important with cakes like this. As a fellow Type A person, I really appreciate how symmetrical everything is and how perfectly the rainbow arches line up!!!

You can tell the chef really took a lot of time factoring all your request in and ensuring it was balanced like adding the extra rainbow around the requested platform for the height and size.

This churro cake sounds fascinating. Since Yacht & Beach seems easy to work with, I will ask about it for April!

Thanks! I think that getting the churro flavor is going to be more about whether the pastry team you're working with is willing to attempt it than whether or not you had a Disney Wedding (the latter only seems to apply when you're working with Private Dining at the Grand Floridian).

Just tell them you want white chocolate-cinnamon mousse filling with chocolate feuilletine mixed in and they should be able to replicate it!

I will have to practice saying “feuilletine” a couple dozen times before calling.:p

Want to make sure I’m reading the first post correctly....considering ordering a cake for our meal at Tiffins. As I read it, AK cakes are done by the HS bakery, but I still call the number listed for AK to start the order. Correct so far?

Here’s where I get confused....under HS cake options it states that it may be possible to get a fancy, fondant cake done by the Brown Derby group reservation team...so does that mean I could possibly get them to do a fancy cake for delivery to Tiffins? Or would they only do them for HS restaurants? And if they might do it for delivery at Tiffins, should I call them direct or still start by calling AK??

Thank you!!

Want to make sure I’m reading the first post correctly....considering ordering a cake for our meal at Tiffins. As I read it, AK cakes are done by the HS bakery, but I still call the number listed for AK to start the order. Correct so far?

Here’s where I get confused....under HS cake options it states that it may be possible to get a fancy, fondant cake done by the Brown Derby group reservation team...so does that mean I could possibly get them to do a fancy cake for delivery to Tiffins? Or would they only do them for HS restaurants? And if they might do it for delivery at Tiffins, should I call them direct or still start by calling AK??

Thank you!!

Always start by calling the place where you need the cake delivered. I just link to Hollywood Studios in that post so you can see what they're capable of. If you can get a real person at AK and tell them you want a fancy cake, they will sort out who makes it.

Always start by calling the place where you need the cake delivered. I just link to Hollywood Studios in that post so you can see what they're capable of. If you can get a real person at AK and tell them you want a fancy cake, they will sort out who makes it.
Great, thank you!!!

A little back story. My daughter has only celebrated one birthday at disney when she turned 3. Her birthday is in April, I found the crowds unbearable and have never returned during that month. She will be 14.

We will be in Orlando at Universal for a chorus function and I have booked a 1 bedroom BLT following our chorus obligation. Shhh she has no idea.

She has camp this summer and myself and her little sister go to Disney while she is at camp every year. Every year I ask are you ok with this plan. This year she said she was sad she wouldn’t see Illuminations one last time.

So resort booked
Epcot passes bought.

I thought a cool Spaceship earth speciality cake would be great. I have googled for image ideas and thus far. No success.

Thoughts? I was thinking a cake with silver fondant with the pattern the ball has Butt i would like to somehow have them incoorporate Illuminations into it.

I have seen beautiful cakes come from The contemporary so I feel good about that!

A little back story. My daughter has only celebrated one birthday at disney when she turned 3. Her birthday is in April, I found the crowds unbearable and have never returned during that month. She will be 14.

We will be in Orlando at Universal for a chorus function and I have booked a 1 bedroom BLT following our chorus obligation. Shhh she has no idea.

She has camp this summer and myself and her little sister go to Disney while she is at camp every year. Every year I ask are you ok with this plan. This year she said she was sad she wouldn’t see Illuminations one last time.

So resort booked
Epcot passes bought.

I thought a cool Spaceship earth speciality cake would be great. I have googled for image ideas and thus far. No success.

Thoughts? I was thinking a cake with silver fondant with the pattern the ball has Butt i would like to somehow have them incoorporate Illuminations into it.

I have seen beautiful cakes come from The contemporary so I feel good about that!

I love this story!

But did you see my cake on the previous page? It is metallic silver and has spaceship earth on top! You could have them re-create the top tier:

IMG_2059.jpg

Hadn’t seen this reported here, so wanted to mention that I contacted MK specialty desserts last week to inquire about ordering the Boston cream pie featured celebration dessert at LTT, and was told it was no longer being offered. The only specialty dessert they have now is the Mickey dome cake. Not sure if this is true for all MK restaurants?

Is it possible to order a cake from Yacht & Beach club & pick it up yourself? Staying at GF but birthday dinner will be at Flying Fish. Boardwalk bakery won’t do a 6 inch cake. Could do 3minis but would prefer one 6 inch cake

I just called them today and they said they'll have the pastry team email me so I can send my inspiration pics to them. That was early this morning and I haven't heard back. Should I call again tomorrow morning? Maybe they wrote down the wrong email for me?

I just called them today and they said they'll have the pastry team email me so I can send my inspiration pics to them. That was early this morning and I haven't heard back. Should I call again tomorrow morning? Maybe they wrote down the wrong email for me?

It took them two full weeks after my initial phone call to get in touch with me for our 20th anniversary cake last fall. I would give it at least a couple more days before calling back.

Hi there! I know this is 3 months after the fact, but I wanted to share the Pandora-themed cake that I ordered for my daughter’s 16th birthday. It was ordered from Pat at the GF bakery & delivered to Kona at the Poly. I ordered an 8 inch vanilla cake with strawberry mousse filling and a Pandora theme with greenery, lights & the “idea” of some water features. I asked for the focus to be more on the foliage & “feel” of the area bc that’s what my daughter loves. I was told by Pat that this hadn’t been done before & would be “hard,” which made me a bit nervous. She also told me it would be easier to do what we asked on a 10 inch cake; however, that would have raised the cost quite a bit.(I think I remember her saying over $200. I just remember thinking that I didn’t want it to cost that much bc my mom was buying it as a special birthday treat for my daughter. I think I remember it ending up around $170.) What was delivered was what you see below. It ended up being a 10 inch, 4 layer vanilla cake with strawberry mousse filling layered with white buttercream & topped with green fondant that had been marbled with blue for the water effect. You can’t truly get a feel for its size by the pictures, but it was a very large (heavy!) cake. It was also much more lovely than the pictures show. The dark green was accented beautifully with the blue marble effect and made the lights show up in quite a stunning way. It wasn’t quite what I had pictured and yet I felt it was executed well. Most importantly. my daughter *loved* it. She knew she was getting a cake this time, but the theme and flavors were a surprise. And the flavors were wonderful! It was our third time ordering a cake from the GF & this one tasted the best by far! We did joke that the filling looked a bit like tuna fish, but it tasted so good we didn’t care! Lol! We had a party of 7 and sooo much cake left over! I had become a bit more wise this time after ordering cakes previously & brought a 2 gallon ziplock bag to put it in when we returned to our room so that it would actually fit in our little in-room fridge. We nibbled on it for the rest of our stay!:)
39AD510B-C4FB-4043-AACE-010E321418E7.jpeg 1DF1B553-48CF-4234-A7CF-5724EE62FCA6.jpeg C0ED230D-B53F-4FB6-A345-700A9F4A2B57.jpeg C831E827-D3E9-4144-89D3-A3705299F323.jpeg

Hi there! I know this is 3 months after the fact, but I wanted to share the Pandora-themed cake that I ordered for my daughter’s 16th birthday. It was ordered from Pat at the GF bakery & delivered to Kona at the Poly. I ordered an 8 inch vanilla cake with strawberry mousse filling and a Pandora theme with greenery, lights & the “idea” of some water features. I asked for the focus to be more on the foliage & “feel” of the area bc that’s what my daughter loves. I was told by Pat that this hadn’t been done before & would be “hard,” which made me a bit nervous. She also told me it would be easier to do what we asked on a 10 inch cake; however, that would have raised the cost quite a bit.(I think I remember her saying over $200. I just remember thinking that I didn’t want it to cost that much bc my mom was buying it as a special birthday treat for my daughter. I think I remember it ending up around $170.) What was delivered was what you see below. It ended up being a 10 inch, 4 layer vanilla cake with strawberry mousse filling layered with white buttercream & topped with green fondant that had been marbled with blue for the water effect. You can’t truly get a feel for its size by the pictures, but it was a very large (heavy!) cake. It was also much more lovely than the pictures show. The dark green was accented beautifully with the blue marble effect and made the lights show up in quite a stunning way. It wasn’t quite what I had pictured and yet I felt it was executed well. Most importantly. my daughter *loved* it. She knew she was getting a cake this time, but the theme and flavors were a surprise. And the flavors were wonderful! It was our third time ordering a cake from the GF & this one tasted the best by far! We did joke that the filling looked a bit like tuna fish, but it tasted so good we didn’t care! Lol! We had a party of 7 and sooo much cake left over! I had become a bit more wise this time after ordering cakes previously & brought a 2 gallon ziplock bag to put it in when we returned to our room so that it would actually fit in our little in-room fridge. We nibbled on it for the rest of our stay!:)
View attachment 383454 View attachment 383455 View attachment 383456 View attachment 383457

i especially love the succulents on your cake. how cool!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter