Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Yes. The Jedi Mickey was painted solid white chocolate. It weighed 16 oz. !

Wow! I'll be honest, $320 sounds a bit high for an 8" to me, but I'll defer to the experts who have had similar ones made. I think the ones I've seen in that range have been larger or extremely elaborate, though.

I ordered an 8" Incredibles themed cake with white cake and white chocolate mousse filing to be delivered to Garden Grill for my son's birthday on July 28th. The price quoted was $90 and I will post pictures in a few weeks.

Wow! I'll be honest, $320 sounds a bit high for an 8" to me, but I'll defer to the experts who have had similar ones made. I think the ones I've seen in that range have been larger or extremely elaborate, though.

The cost did seem a bit high to me, so I inquired about it. She told me the price is higher because it takes a lot of time to put the fondant over the cake and do the white dots plus the chocolate Minnie. She did tell me that buttercream frosting would be cheaper. Attached is the sample of the cake I'm trying to have made. Pink fondant over the 8" cake with white dots and the white chocolate painted Minnie on top. Chocolate cake, chocolate mousse filling, chocolate buttercream under the fondant. We definitely want the chocolate Minnie. Just not sure how it would look on buttercream frosting. Will probably just pay what they are asking.
:-)

Attachments

• Minnie Cake.jpg
    Minnie Cake.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 158
@NHGoofy Even with the fondant, $320 still seems WAY too high for a single-tier cake. The chocolate minnie will look fine on top of buttercream - they can do a smooth texture instead of the usual buttercream swirls you may be thinking of. Alternatively, ask what they'd charge for fondant with stamped polkadots instead of hand-cut fondant dots.

I got this two-tier cake shaped like a volcano, with sugar flames and a mountain-shaped top tier, for $375 from Epcot:

Carriatricks%209th%20Anniversary%20-%20082_zpslblvgzyx.jpg

Okay, I've been a longtime lurker of this board. Love all the posts and pictures! So I started thinking....I'd love to surprise my husband for our anniversary. No trip planned yet, but we are Passholders so chances are we could go up sometime around our anniversary (Nov 10). He's not a huge Disney nerd, but he does like Wall-E so I thought a Wall-E/Eve cake would be cute. A single layer 6-inch would be more than enough for us.

Anyone have any photos of Wall-E themed cakes they've had made in the past? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated!

Bumping this to update:

I'm booked offsite for Nov. 17-20 to celebrate our anniversary. This could change if some good AP room discounts come out next month.

My questions cake-wise:

1. A mini cake will be enough for 2 people, correct?
2. Because Artist Point is not taking reservations after 10/28, I will have to make some back up ADR's as placeholders. Right now I'm looking at The Wave and Narcoossee's as potentials. The reason I mention this is from what I understand, the Contemporary bakery can deliver to WL and of course The Wave. GF would handle Narcoossee's. The real question - from what I read, people are happy with both the Contemporary and GF's work, right?

ETA - 3. Lead time: In the experienced folks opinion: is 6-8 weeks enough time to figure out where we are having a dinner and requesting a Wall-E theme based on the attached photos? Want the blue "heart" theme with Wall-E and Eve incorporated somehow. No fire extinguisher required. :P

walle eve .jpg tiered heart.png

1. A mini cake will be enough for 2 people, correct?

Yes!

2. Because Artist Point is not taking reservations after 10/28, I will have to make some back up ADR's as placeholders. Right now I'm looking at The Wave and Narcoossee's as potentials. The reason I mention this is from what I understand, the Contemporary bakery can deliver to WL and of course The Wave. GF would handle Narcoossee's. The real question - from what I read, people are happy with both the Contemporary and GF's work, right?

Yes. Each have their own intricacies for ordering cakes, but they do some of the best decor work on property.

ETA - 3. Lead time: In the experienced folks opinion: is 6-8 weeks enough time to figure out where we are having a dinner and requesting a Wall-E theme based on the attached photos? Want the blue "heart" theme with Wall-E and Eve incorporated somehow. No fire extinguisher required.

Yes. The part that takes the most time is getting someone to call or email you back. Then just be sure to call and reconfirm your order a few days before your reservation to be sure they understood and wrote down every detail you asked for.

Yes!

Yes. Each have their own intricacies for ordering cakes, but they do some of the best decor work on property.

Yes. The part that takes the most time is getting someone to call or email you back. Then just be sure to call and reconfirm your order a few days before your reservation to be sure they understood and wrote down every detail you asked for.
Thanks @lurkyloo! I am so excited to surprise him with this cake. This could be the beginning of an addictive process. :-*

I’m leaning towards that and just having YC/BC do something sugar skull/Coco inspired!

I think a Coco inspired cake would be amazing!

We ordered a Coco mini cake from the CR bakery in January during Marathon Weekend! Our cake was vanilla inside - both cake and frosting - with red fondant. I asked for a 2D Coco art and skulls/guitar/anything else Coco. I don't recall the price, but I'm relatively certain it was in the $80 range, which included delivery to our room at WL. The white chocolate disk on top was messy, but I liked the art and appreciated the overall simplicity of the cake. It arrived as it appears in the first photo, and then I added the toys in the last photo. Always have great luck with CR, not as much with BW Bakery, so hoping that YC/BC will be helpful when we order our next cake!

IMG_1925 (1).jpg IMG_1927 (1).jpg IMG_1929 (1).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1924 (1).jpg
    IMG_1924 (1).jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1925 (1).jpg
    IMG_1925 (1).jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1924 (1).jpg
    IMG_1924 (1).jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1924 (1).jpg
    IMG_1924 (1).jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1924 (1).jpg
    IMG_1924 (1).jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 16
@NHGoofy Even with the fondant, $320 still seems WAY too high for a single-tier cake. The chocolate minnie will look fine on top of buttercream - they can do a smooth texture instead of the usual buttercream swirls you may be thinking of. Alternatively, ask what they'd charge for fondant with stamped polkadots instead of hand-cut fondant dots.

I got this two-tier cake shaped like a volcano, with sugar flames and a mountain-shaped top tier, for $375 from Epcot:

Carriatricks%209th%20Anniversary%20-%20082_zpslblvgzyx.jpg
I just heard back regarding the pricing of the Minnie cake I wanted. I think because of all my questions, she said she went over and personally spoke to the Chef. She apologized for all the confusion and said the price for the fondant/dots Minnie Cake is actually $110.00. OMG! That is a huge difference. We'll be there the end of August, so I will post a picture after we get back.
Thanks!

We ordered a Coco mini cake from the CR bakery in January during Marathon Weekend! Our cake was vanilla inside - both cake and frosting - with red fondant. I asked for a 2D Coco art and skulls/guitar/anything else Coco. I don't recall the price, but I'm relatively certain it was in the $80 range, which included delivery to our room at WL. The white chocolate disk on top was messy, but I liked the art and appreciated the overall simplicity of the cake. It arrived as it appears in the first photo, and then I added the toys in the last photo. Always have great luck with CR, not as much with BW Bakery, so hoping that YC/BC will be helpful when we order our next cake!

View attachment 336075 View attachment 336076 View attachment 336077
Wow that came out great!!

I love it! Very cute cake!

We're celebrating my granddaughter's birthday at H & V. Our quote for a custom cake is $320.00. Wondering if that is in line as far as pricing goes. Leaving in the morning, so we won't be able to finish the cake, but still want something nice. Anyone else ever have a cake done for H & V? Below is what we were quoted. Thanks.

We can make an 8 Inch Round cake

Chocolate cake with dark chocolate mousse filling and chocolate buttercream under the fondant

Cake covered in pink fondant with white dots along with a white bow with pink dots

Painted white chocolate Minnie figurine in pink, black, and white

Additional decorations that include butterflies and flowers

The total cost for this cake is $320.

$320 seems extremely high to me . I know each bakery may set their pricing a bit differently and costs rise each year, but I had an 8" fondant covered cake with a painted Donald white chocolate topper as well as a custom made topper piece on one of mine and it cost me $117. I also had an 8" cake with all kinds of custom accents on the sides and the castle topper - partially painted, and that cost me $255. Again...not this year, but I find it hard to fathom that a cake that was $117 in 2013 would cost $320 in 2018. That would mean my $255 cake in 2014 would cost even more. Examples...

$117 in 2013
10063202286_30c8b41fc4_z.jpg

(Side note- I HATE this cake- it's not what I requested and was poorly executed IMO, but the Donald topper was great and the painting like this seems to be the reasoning they are using for your price quote).

$255 in 2014
15559944520_4db2fc1ab5_z.jpg

Not sure if this helps or not, but to me, it just feels high considering the cakes above.

Hello all

I have a question I am thinking of ordering 4 different mini cakes for my kids and I to kick off our Disney trip as it's our last for a few years. Nothing too crazy we will be eating at California Grill our 1st night of stay.

So here's what I was thinking:

For me: Tiana or Princess and the Frog Themed
For my DD: Tangled or Alice in wonderland Themed
For my DS1: Inside out Themed
For my DS2: Incredibles Themed

So I was thinking of ordering from CR for Delivery to California Grill. Will there be a delivery fee?

I know that each cake feeds 2 I figured they can have a 2nd helping during the week. Has anyone ordered multiple mini cakes with success.

How far in advance should I order?

Thanks for any help.

@Mika02 There is no delivery fee when you have a cake sent to a restaurant. I've seen lots of people order multiple minicakes with no problem.

I would start trying to contact them at least a month out, because sometimes it can be hard to get ahold of a real person at first. Then I would call back a few days before delivery and reconfirm EVERYTHING they agreed to when you placed your order.

@Mika02 There is no delivery fee when you have a cake sent to a restaurant. I've seen lots of people order multiple minicakes with no problem.

I would start trying to contact them at least a month out, because sometimes it can be hard to get ahold of a real person at first. Then I would call back a few days before delivery and reconfirm EVERYTHING they agreed to when you placed your order.

Thank you so much I'll start contacting tomorrow then. Narrowed down the cake themes and flavors today including back ups of each if I get pushback.

You still get dessert! We had a graduation cake for my DD delivered to 'Ohana and we ate the bread pudding and took the cake to go. They even gave us plastic forks and plates!
Very good to know! Thanks for the info. I was hoping to have a graduation/birthday cake for my daughters, but wouldn't want to miss the bread pudding!!:mickeyjum

Very random question - but can you have a cake delivered to a dessert party? Particularly SWAGS at HS?

I know it doesn't make sense to do it (hello, dessert party!) but just out of curiousity. We're doing MK before the party and I'd love a special cake actually on my birthday but of course, MK only does the very limited ones.

Very random question - but can you have a cake delivered to a dessert party? Particularly SWAGS at HS?

I know it doesn't make sense to do it (hello, dessert party!) but just out of curiousity. We're doing MK before the party and I'd love a special cake actually on my birthday but of course, MK only does the very limited ones.

For private dessert parties, yes. We've had cakes delivered to almost all of ours. But for a public dessert party, there is no mechanism in place to do this. You need to place your cake order through the restaurant or resort where you want it delivered, and since the public dessert parties aren't affiliated with restaurants, there's no one to call to place the order. Your best bet would be to order one for delivery to a restaurant at DHS and see if they will let you pick it up even if you're not dining there. But they may say you need a reservation number.

So I have another question emailed Contemporary a detailed request on Friday mid morning/afternoon when should I follow up if I don't hear anything should it be a few days or a week. Should I follow up by phone or email again?

Thanks for any help

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!