Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part IV! (2012-2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_4077-1_zpstbaldsg6.jpg

This is the cake I ordered for my niece's birthday dinner at Akershus last week. I had seen a picture of the mini-cakes from CRT and just wanted something like that in pink and purple (her favorite colors), and it was perfect!

IMG_4088_zpsdo8ovfgj.jpg

This is the cake I had delivered to our room at the Boardwalk Villas (from Boardwalk Bakery)...8 inches, chocolate cake with raspberry mousse filling (it was supposed to be strawberry mousse, but it was still pink so it was OK) We ate the cake for 4 days, and it stayed moist the whole time, just keeping it in the bakery box in the fridge.

So I have read this thread & want to make sure I am understanding correctly. This is our first trip to Disney we will be at DHS on our 5th anniversary. So it looks like my options are a 6" generic cake or the Mickey cake?

So I have read this thread & want to make sure I am understanding correctly. This is our first trip to Disney we will be at DHS on our 5th anniversary. So it looks like my options are a 6" generic cake or the Mickey cake?

You can get other sizes of round cakes at DHS, but they can't do much more than your local supermarket, decoration-wise.

IMG_4088_zpsdo8ovfgj.jpg

This is the cake I had delivered to our room at the Boardwalk Villas (from Boardwalk Bakery)...8 inches, chocolate cake with raspberry mousse filling (it was supposed to be strawberry mousse, but it was still pink so it was OK) We ate the cake for 4 days, and it stayed moist the whole time, just keeping it in the bakery box in the fridge.

Do you mind sharing the cost for this cake? I love it!

You can get other sizes of round cakes at DHS, but they can't do much more than your local supermarket, decoration-wise.
Thanks for the reply. We have reservations at Sci-Fi at 5 & plan to stay for Fantasmic that evening. Will they box up the leftovers for us?

I had this cake made for my proposal (she said yes) at the Contemporary and delivered at California Grill. There are gold flowers and silver leaves under the message banner, which are hard to see from straight on. I uploaded a very amateurish photoshop image to them based on a cake I had seen here from a few years ago. They got it exactly like I wanted. It's fondant on top of vanilla buttercream and vanilla cake with passion fruit mousse filling. Tasted great! We could only eat about 1/4 of it even though it's an 8" cake. It was $155, which I don't consider overpriced for a cake like this. I believe the painted white chocolate Mickey itself was somewhere around $80. Note: he's solid and heavy... could feed a family.
L15zlji.jpg

I had this cake made for my proposal (she said yes) at the Contemporary and delivered at California Grill. There are gold flowers and silver leaves under the message banner, which are hard to see from straight on. I uploaded a very amateurish photoshop image to them based on a cake I had seen here from a few years ago. They got it exactly like I wanted. It's fondant on top of vanilla buttercream and vanilla cake with passion fruit mousse filling. Tasted great! We could only eat about 1/4 of it even though it's an 8" cake. It was $155, which I don't consider overpriced for a cake like this. I believe the painted white chocolate Mickey itself was somewhere around $80. Note: he's solid and heavy... could feed a family.
L15zlji.jpg
This cake is amazing. Congrats on your engagement!

So I just started the process of ordering a birthday cake for my sons birthday in August. We asked for a Mickey themed cake. The women on the phone mentioned that they already have a fondant covered Mickey cake that they could offer us. Does anyone have a picture of this cake? We are ordering from Port Orleans Riverside so the cake is coming from the Boardwalk.

Changed my mind, as I often do, we're getting an 8 inch delivered to our room at AKL. Chocolate with custard and strawberries filling, Stitch theme covered in blue and white marbled fondant.

I wanted Jake and the Neverland Pirates but it doesn't seem to be an available theme :-( Oh well

Little Dude is going to love it!

Be aware the cakes with custard and fresh fruit will need to be refrigerated. I wasn't thinking about that as at home we normally keep cakes at room temp for a few days and ours started to go bad. And in those tiny fridges it can be hard to fit an 8 inch cake. May need to cut it. Custard with strawberries is my favorite. Yum!

I am so excited! I finally ordered my 10th anniversary cake for my trip in two weeks. I am having a mini cake replica of my wedding cake made and delivered to Le Cellier in Epcot. I was surprised at all of the filling options I was given. We are getting a yellow cake with white chocolate moose filling with white butter cream. They are making blue, yellow and white flowers on top and a Swiss dot design on the sides. I was quoted $35 and will post a picture when we return. I left a message with Pat at the GF about having a welcome cake in our room when we arrive. I love all the cake pictures in this thread and info, it really helped me plan and order my cakes. :disrocks:

So I just started the process of ordering a birthday cake for my sons birthday in August. We asked for a Mickey themed cake. The women on the phone mentioned that they already have a fondant covered Mickey cake that they could offer us. Does anyone have a picture of this cake? We are ordering from Port Orleans Riverside so the cake is coming from the Boardwalk.

I have never seen them make a Mickey head-shaped cake that's covered in fondant. Usually it's chocolate ganache. Perhaps she means the Mickey's Delight decor style like they do for weddings? You can see what that looks like in @Trimothy's post, above (but yours would be sans white chocolate Mickey unless you paid to add him).

I am so excited! I finally ordered my 10th anniversary cake for my trip in two weeks. I am having a mini cake replica of my wedding cake made and delivered to Le Cellier in Epcot. I was surprised at all of the filling options I was given. We are getting a yellow cake with white chocolate moose filling with white butter cream. They are making blue, yellow and white flowers on top and a Swiss dot design on the sides. I was quoted $35 and will post a picture when we return. I left a message with Pat at the GF about having a welcome cake in our room when we arrive. I love all the cake pictures in this thread and info, it really helped me plan and order my cakes. :disrocks:
Where did you order the mini cake from?

Better late than never...

Back in October we had my son's 1st Birthday at Whispering Canyon Cafe with nearly 40 family and friends. I don't remember most of the details as this trip ended up being quite the disaster. My husband had to fly home the morning of our son's 1st birthday because my FIL was unexpectedly sent to ICU back in NJ, he passed away 3 days later, & I was stuck in Fl with my DS1 while pregnant. I couldn't fly home by myself and our little guys because I was on modified bedrest, not allowed to pick up DS1, so I couldn't even be there with my husband through it. The first week of the trip was WDW over DS's first b-day & the second week was on DCL over my 30th b-day. Well, we couldn't get out of our cruise without losing everything so after some convincing from family, my husband flew back to meet us and go on the cruise...it rained for three days & then we all got the noro virus throwing up for three days...and this trip was over my 30th b-day. It was the saddest time of our lives. Thankful the streets of america are no longer at HS as that's where we were when we got the call- a moment we'll never forget! Also thankfully that this party was at the start of our trip so we were able to enjoy it before everything went so wrong. I digress...

The staff at WCC were awesome and lots of higher management showed up to see the cake and take pictures of it and us with it. Brian from CR was the pastry chef I worked with via email. The cake was around $300, although I had requested one layer, but my sample pic was two layer so I think that got lost in translation somewhere. I provided the Mickey Lenox topper, which they took in the back and placed for me- they placed it in the wrong spot (it's supposed to be on the grass next to the writing, not floating above the clouds. lol), but I can't complain as the cake was gorgeous. I was able to use my TIW card for added savings. We had a ton leftover (why I wanted one layer) but the restaurant was great & gave us boxes, plastic forks, napkins, & bags to send slices home with everyone & then we took the rest. I ordered a white on white cake with Bavarian creme & fresh strawberries. The cactus was fondant and the rocks were jelly beans. Sorry for the blurry pic...can't find the good one.

Last edited:
So sorry for all that tragedy @MissMet but gorgeous cake!!!

You definitely need a do-over vacation!!

Thanks! :lovestruc Yes, my husband surprised me with a dream trip at GF CL for a week just the two of us as a do-over this October, then all our family is joining us for the second week with our kids. So thankful we have family in the WDW area- they were our saviors last trip & this trip they'll be watching our little ones so we can enjoy.

Last year for DH's birthday, I got him a cake at Yachtsman. 6 inch Indiana Jones theme, chocolate cake, peanut butter filling, chocolate ganache.

This year, we will be at Yachtsman again, only we will be leaving the next day, so leftovers seem silly (especially after 9 nights of eating at Disney!). Kids will probably want Mickey puzzle dessert.
Anyhow, I don't mind if the design is plain (like just some Mickey ears), but is it possible to get that flavor combination in a mini cake? I know you can get the chocolate, but the peanut butter filling? And can you get ganache on a mini cake?

Last year for DH's birthday, I got him a cake at Yachtsman. 6 inch Indiana Jones theme, chocolate cake, peanut butter filling, chocolate ganache.

This year, we will be at Yachtsman again, only we will be leaving the next day, so leftovers seem silly (especially after 9 nights of eating at Disney!). Kids will probably want Mickey puzzle dessert.
Anyhow, I don't mind if the design is plain (like just some Mickey ears), but is it possible to get that flavor combination in a mini cake? I know you can get the chocolate, but the peanut butter filling? And can you get ganache on a mini cake?

I know for sure the Contemporary will do it (well, if you talk to Chef Brian). I had a mini cake with chocolate ganache and peanut butter frosting as filling delivered to California Grill:

IMG_3458.jpg

I know for sure the Contemporary will do it (well, if you talk to Chef Brian). I had a mini cake with chocolate ganache and peanut butter frosting as filling delivered to California Grill:

IMG_3458.jpg

I will call in a week and find out.
If not, I might just get a podium/generic cake and not worry about leftovers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter