Official Castaway Cay 5K Thread

I just ran it on the June 2nd 8-Nt. Magic cruise. We met in Diversions betw/ 8:30 AM & 8:45 AM to sign-up & get our bib. We had the option to walk with the group out to the start/finish location or to meet there @ 9:15 AM. My family & I just walked out with the group. Once there, we were shown the map of the route and then we were off. @ The finish, everyone was given a Mickey Winner medal. As for shirts, you can go to She Sells Sea Shells 2 that is right next to the start/finish and purchase a Castaway Cay 5K t-shirt. Since you don't actually pay to race, a shirt is not included. ;) My husband purchased mine while I ran. That day, they only had adult Mediums, XL and 2XL, I believe. Do not know about kids sizes b/c I only needed one for me. & Just an FYI, the Navigator says it is for children 12 & up. Then that evening, I received a Magical Moments certificate for completion of the 5K.

Do note that it is a very different climate than from most of the US. Luckily I live in TX, so I am used to running in high humidity and heat. ;) The day I ran, it was overcast while the run was going on, so it was nice that the sun wasn't bearing down on us. But it was humid as all get out and I know that that was an issue for some people b/c they were not used to the humidity.

& Yes, no times were given from the CM that was overseeing our 'race'. I started the stopwatch on my phone and then stopped it as I crossed the finish line. My husband timed me too, but was trying to take pictures of me as I finished, so his time wasn't quite as accurate as mine. ;)

My only real complaint was the water cups they were handing out were plastic & we had to run w/ them until we came upon a trash can. The trash cans weren't easily accessible either, so that definitely slowed me down. For one of them, I had to walk up into the sand to be able to throw my cup away.

All in all, it was fun & I think I'll be doing it again in Dec. on our NYE cruise. My husband was to run w/ me, but he was injured, so he just cheered me on along w/ my girls. It was my first time to ever run any kind of race, be it official or not. ;)

HTHs!:thumbsup2

For all who have walked this 5k how long did it take you?

I didn't walk the whole 5k, but about 3/4 of it, and I finished in 49mins50secs. I was the last one to finish in my group. One walker behind me did not finish, he stopped before second time around bike loop. The CMs waited for me at the end, to give me my medal and cheer me on. :).

The heat was brutal, but the race is definitely something fun to check off on your list!!

Enjoy!! :cool1:

Just got back from the Magic 8 day cruise (July 28 to August 5th, 2012 sailing) out of NYC and did the race with my sister in law on Wednesday, August 1. Having read the boards, I anticipated the heat and humidity. I jogged everyday on the cruise to ready myself for the weather and I made sure I drank plenty of water prior to meeting in Diversions that morning. My sister in law and I also had fruit and cereal for breakfast and I had packed a power bar that I ate while waiting in Diversions. I also decided that I was going to take my time in jogging it. Although I was probably one of the slowest joggers, I jogged the whole time without any walking. I finished in under 36 minutes about 10 seconds after my sister in law.

The cruise staff member who registered us in Diversions led us all out to the tram which we rode to the start. She took us to a sign that read 5k start. She told us she would be staying there the whole time and we could leave our stuff with her. She showed a map of the course and explained we would do this one loop twice (once going out and once on the return). There was another cruise staff member who was placed at the loop halfway through so that you could get water either going into the loop or coming out of this loop to finish. There were trashcans right there to throw out the cups. The water was extremely cold. Please note there was no water at the very end of the race.

There was one spot that we found extremely confusing whether to turn off or go straight in the loop and we talked to others who said they made mistakes in where to go and had to backtrack. My sister in law made a wrong turn and she as well had to backtrack. Having read some other people's posts about this, I figured out this one particular spot was what they were talking about and I think it helped me go the correct way.

We were so glad we completed the race. We took the tram back to the first beach area where we met the rest of the family. We both had packed all our swim stuff in backpacks that they had carried ashore and it was perfect timing. They had just arrived at the beach and found a nice spot. We went and changed in the bathrooms. It felt good to get out of the exercise clothes as they were pretty nasty from the race. But I am glad we didn't go back to the ship as we were going in the water and spending the day in the sand anyway. We were also lucky enough to get our picture taken with Mickey before we got changed wearing our numbers and our Mickey medallions. We each bought the picture of course as a souvenir. We also loved getting the certificate delivered to our room the next day.

I have one last comment in regards to the t-shirts. There was a lot of people who were still finishing the race when we finished, but when we went to buy the shirts (sold at the kiosk right by the start/finish), all they had left were XL's and XXL's. I knew that others had posted about the shirt sizes being an issue so we went immediately to buy them when we were finished. We were disappointed to say the least and asked a girl to check in the back for more sizes. She informed us that there were no more in the back so we bought the XL's. I decided to check back later in the day, and noticed the kiosk was restocked (probably for the next cruise). There were plenty of larges hanging on the rack (no mediums). So I went and got my sister in law and we exchanged our XL's for larges. The large is still too big, but at least it is wearable. So if the kiosk doesn't have your size when you are done the race, check back later, they may restock. It seems like they try to get rid of so many of each size and don't want to go through the effort of putting more out of particular sizes. I hope others find that tip helpful.

DH really wants to do this but we are booked to do the stingraything at ten would he have enough time do you think? he normally does 5k in around 23 minutes ish

Exited!!! I'll start my 5th week of C25K. But since that's only would take me to about 2.5 miles, I'll walk the rest...

Now, I'm on a double dip so my question is, do I dare it do it twice?

I hope I won't be the last one, but as long as I finish it, I don't care!

Hi Lindylou2. When I did the race, there was another lady I overheard sitting near me in Diversions while we were waiting talking about having the sting ray excursion booked for 10 o'clock too. She wasn't sure if she would be able to do it so she asked the cruise staff girl who was registering everybody and she told her she should be able to finish it in time. I was done by 10:00 and I finished the race in just under 36 minutes. I think by the time we took the tram, walked to the start and was shown the route, it was a little before 9:15. I never saw the woman who asked the question after the race, so not sure how she made out getting to her stingray excursion. But if your husband runs 5k's in 23 minutes, it seems to me like he should be able to complete the race in time. He might want to wear a watch and also ask the cruise staff member who is in charge of registering people the morning of the race.

Hi Su_A_ve. Good luck to you. Doesn't matter if you walk or run. Just doing it is an accomplishment. I know I felt so good when I was done.

"One thing she always said was 'A loser isn't the person who gets involved and comes last. It's the person that doesn't get involved in the first place,'*" Pistorius said. "That really rubbed off hard on us."*

From the paraolympic runner who is running the regular olympics in London talking about his mom

Best of luck to everyone who trys the 5k showing up is the challenge

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards

I just ran this on Friday Aug 3rd and we didn't get out to start the race til close to 10:15, no tram, we walked to the start. And like Robin Williams said in "Good Morning Vietnam", it was hot, damn hot!

And certificate? I didn't get a certificate? I did get a medal. Wow, I wish Mickey would've been there at the end, that would've been great!

Aw that is a shame you didn't get the certificate. I guess it depends on the cruise staff member who takes you to the start of the race on whether you walk or take the tram to it. Our cruise staff member took everyone to the tram depot and told everyone to hop on and she sat at the front so we all knew when to get off.

Hi Ladypirate, I don't think I can post a picture so I will describe it for you. Up at the top is a life preserver with a Disney ship inside. Below it in big letters it says "Magical Moments".

Then it reads "Across the seas and over the years, may you always remember celebrating this Magical Moment with the cast and crew of Disney Cruise Line.

Awarded to: my name is listed above it

Your Disney Cruise Line Magical Moment: Completing the 5K Run on Castaway Cay is written above it

Presented by: Your Disney Magic Cruise Staff is written above this

Date: August 1st, 2012 is written above this

At the bottom it says Disney Cruise Line Where Dreams come true

A picture of Goofy is on one side and there is a blue border around the outside.

I wonder if others from your sailing received theirs and they just forgot to give you yours or whether they just didn't give them out at all on your sailing.

Did most of you who participated just bring your stuff for your day at the beach on Castaway Cay to the race or did you go back to the ship to change and get the rest of your stuff?

Wow, my DH and I just did this 5k in June while sailing on the Dream. I knew about the certificate, and we didn't get one. We asked at guest relations 3 times when we'd get them. The first two times, they told us the certificates would be delivered to our room by the end of the cruise(we did the 5k on our 1st of 2 stops at CC). Finally, the 3rd time we asked, we were told they don't do certificates anymore!! Now, I'm reading that people are getting them. I wonder if only the longer itineraries get them....

In answer to your question, Kpado, my sister in law and I had packed our beach stuff in bags that we had our family bring ashore with them so we wouldn't have to go back to the ship. It worked out well for us as they had just gotten to the beach where we were going to meet them with our things.

Pixiedust, based on reading others' posts, it seems like it depends on the cruise staff how the race works. Some cruise staff had the people walk to the start of the race and others had them take trams. Our girl had us take the tram. It's odd that when you inquired the first two times about the certificate, the workers in guest relations gave an answer that you would get it the last day and then the last time they said they no longer give them out on the ship. I have found that people in guest relations don't always give consistent answers. I wonder if you had talked to a member of the cruise staff, you would have gotten a more satisfactory response as they seem to be the ones responsible for the race. I think it is a shame you didn't get a certificate as it is a nice remembrance of the race. It felt like such an accomplishment so it was nice coming back to the room and finding the certificate on the fish extender. I have to admit I felt like a little kid all excited about receiving it.

"One thing she always said was 'A loser isn't the person who gets involved and comes last. It's the person that doesn't get involved in the first place,'*" Pistorius said. "That really rubbed off hard on us."*

Love that quote. Also saw this one somewhere:

"Finished last" is better than "did not finish" which trumps "did not start."

No worries. This is a great place to do the 5k. There is no time limit. They have you sign in and cast members wait until everyone is done. Very low key. Lots of fun and a disney finishers "medal".
I had back surgery and did the castaway cay 5K just 3 1/2 months after.
Good luck

I just did this on the August 5th dream sailing and it was a lot of fun. We met at the 687 lounge at 8:30, signed in, and were off the ship by 8:45.

Goofy came outside to do some stretches and take a picture but then quickly returned to the ship. The CM who was leading us had us walk to the start but I've heard others sometimes take the tram. It takes about 15 minutes to get there.

At the start line they had a trunk to drop our stuff off which I used for my backpack. There also is a large map which they used to describe the race route. I'm happy to report that there is now is a race clock to keep track of everyone's time!

Once the race started I found it easy to follow the course even though I was in the lead. The biker who starts with you only leads for the first quarter mile so you have to follow the markings afterwards. It is possible to get lost still though if you don't listen to the CM's instructions however.

It was very hot and there was plenty of water along the course. I didn't bother with those because of the rule on disposing of cups.

After the race I grabbed my bag, refilled my water bottle at the water station, and then headed down to the beach. What I found was that it's really easy to just wash off the sweat in the ocean and carry a change of clothes with you.

Overall plenty of fun and I'd do it again. I finished in 3rd place (20:08) oh well I guess that's what you get for roaming the ship till 3 am and having 2 desserts the night before :lmao

Lastly I did not receive any gift in my stateroom after the race. It appears that they do not do that anymore.

Overall plenty of fun and I'd do it again. I finished in 3rd place (20:08) oh well I guess that's what you get for roaming the ship till 3 am and having 2 desserts the night before :lmao

Lastly I did not receive any gift in my stateroom after the race. It appears that they do not do that anymore.

And here I thought it was just me. We bookended the race, as I was one of the last to finish. I did improve my time from my very first 5k this summer, so there's that. Really would have liked one of those snazzy medallions, but at least I have my bib as a keepsake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter