Official Cake Chatter Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to make sure that nobody's pictures get lost when moving them out of the chatter thread and into the gallery, here are links to the posts that have been moved already.

Lurky Loo’s 6” Anniversary Cake (wedding cake replica) http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=30802188&postcount=2

Colleen27’s Birthday Cake Yellow cake, strawberries in custard filling with white buttercream frosting http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=30826056&postcount=3

4orm’s mini wedding cakes (through the years). White/yellow cakes with buttercream frosting http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=30829609&postcount=4

Goofygal531’s Cinderella Castle Mini Cake. Cheesecake with white frosting. Very Small. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=30830790&postcount=5

Goofygal531’2 Chocolate with Chocolate Mickey Mouse cake – requested at podium (Crystal Palace) http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=30830876&postcount=6

Myhappythought5’s Marble birthday cake with chocolate frosting http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=30864581&postcount=9

Cinderella cake, link also listed above. http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=30897725&postcount=10

Hope this helps keeps things straight, this is a work in progress and we are open to suggestions.

Thanks Tricia! This whole trip planning thing makes me nervous! :scared: I'm doing most, well really all, of the planning since my fiance has never been to WDW before and I want to make sure it is a very special experience since it is our honeymoon and his first trip! Is it too early to call now or should I wait until right before we leave?

Sorry! I have one more question! Does anyone know if they will deliver a special cake to a diner show? We will be going to The Spirit of Aloha Diner Show at the Polynesian Resort one night and I was just thinking that it might be pretty neat to have the cake there!

Here are pictures of the anniversary cake I ordered for our IllumiNations Dessert Party last month.

It was made by the Grand Floridian Bakery and transported to Epcot for the party ($75 fee). I ordered it through our event planner, who worked with a pastry chef at the GF Bakery. (Anyone staying on-property can arrange a private event by calling Disney's Catering & Convention Services at 407-828-3200.) However, I could also have ordered it to be served at one of the restaurants at the Grand Floridian by calling the Cake Hotline listed in the first post in this thread. :goodvibes

It was a 6-inch replica of the cake we had at our Disney's Fairy Tale Wedding, with a few changes, so I'll show you the inspiration picture and the result.

Inspiration Picture - Wedding Cake

0954_2095N.jpg

Anniversary Cake

014-2.jpg

137.jpg

141.jpg

Price: It would have been $55, but I requested the gold fondant cake topper and S-shaped "handles" inspired by the original, which bumped the price up to $110. :eek:

Date Received: 2/4/09

Cake info: Chocolate cake with chocolate peanut butter cup mousse filling and chocolate buttercream frosting under the fondant. Apparently the GF Bakery prefers to use white frosting under the fondant because the chocolate color may show through the slightly translucent fondant. However, I saw a pink fondant-covered cake with chocolate frosting on the old Anniversary/Birthday Cake Thread and it looked great, so I asked for chocolate. Our cake looked amazing!

Here are some daylight pictures from the morning after to give you a better idea:

IMG_0516-1.jpg

IMG_0514-1.jpg

IMG_0513-1.jpg

IMG_0518-1.jpg

I have to say, I had been pretty disappointed with the colors of our wedding cake, so I was ecstatic to see the anniversary cake exactly as I envisioned it - and exactly the right shade of hot pink! And the attention to detail was amazing. :cloud9:

As for the taste, it was OK. The cake was not terribly moist, and it's taken me two Disney cakes to realize I'm just not a fan of the mousse they use - I'd much rather have frosting in between the layers. So next time I'll see if they can do that! :)

Thanks Tricia! This whole trip planning thing makes me nervous! :scared: I'm doing most, well really all, of the planning since my fiance has never been to WDW before and I want to make sure it is a very special experience since it is our honeymoon and his first trip! Is it too early to call now or should I wait until right before we leave?

The general rule has been about 2 weeks before the date of the event

Have a great time!

Sorry! I have one more question! Does anyone know if they will deliver a special cake to a diner show? We will be going to The Spirit of Aloha Diner Show at the Polynesian Resort one night and I was just thinking that it might be pretty neat to have the cake there!

I believe they do - keep in mind that the dinner has been cancelled for inclement weather..just something to keep in mind :)

That Cinderella Cake is AMAZING!!!! :love:

Wow, that Cinderella cake is amazing!

Holy Cow!:eek: That cake is AMAZING! It's looks beautiful and has my favorite character, Cinderella! :thumbsup2

Hmmm, we're going in October, wonder if I could get that cake for my girls? :goodvibes

Since that was my cake and design idea, I'll happily say "Thanks!" The staff at CRT was still talking about it when I picked up the left overs at dinner time.

The images are a photo capture and transfer. I don't see why they can't do this with almost any movie. Keep in mind though, I paid $6 per image They chose to do 5 images, which was fine. Like I stated before, I had specific ideas for the cake and took the time to draw them out so the chef knew what I was looking for. Since we've had this over the top fantastic cake, it will be hard to just order the mini castle cake and slipper dessert for DD's b-day this year.

Hi all! I've been looking over the multiple food and cake threads and I can't find the info I happened upon...I thought I read somewhere that the slipper dessert can be purchased at either CRT or at the GF. I also thought I remembered reading that they were a little different depending on the place. Could someone clarify and if you know the current price, that would be great. TIA for your help :)

I want my DS's cake to have a picture of Mickey in a car- he likes Mickey he likes cars but someone said they don't do Pixar so the next best thing plus he won't notice
If I find an image on google or somewhere else will they be able to use this for my cake?

I want my DS's cake to have a picture of Mickey in a car- he likes Mickey he likes cars but someone said they don't do Pixar so the next best thing plus he won't notice
If I find an image on google or somewhere else will they be able to use this for my cake?

I think the Pixar thing is a licensing issue just like the the Pooh charaters. It wouldn't hurt to ask when you call though because as we all know, those things can change. If you do a search and find something, copy it and send it to them as an idea but keep in mind they problaby have stock pictures and will most likely chose something from stock so it may be a bit different. Have fun hunting!

I think the Pixar thing is a licensing issue just like the the Pooh charaters. It wouldn't hurt to ask when you call though because as we all know, those things can change. If you do a search and find something, copy it and send it to them as an idea but keep in mind they problaby have stock pictures and will most likely chose something from stock so it may be a bit different. Have fun hunting!

Hi! I know this is soooo OT, but how did you get the little Disney people in your signature? I have those on my car and would love to put them in my sig. Thanks :) And sorry for being OT :)

Thanks for sharing pics of the slipper dessert! Its not cake though, right?

I would love to order something special for our trip, but my son has an egg allergy and unless they can make an egg free cake for us we might need to bring in something ourself (if thats an option)

Anyone ever dealt with allergies and the cake hotline?

I will be traveling in May with me and four of my friends and 3 kids one of my friends will be celebrating her 26th birthday and my friend daugther will be celebrating her 8th birthday. I wanted to order 2 different cake but dont know where to start. We are not staying onsite but we will be eating onsite can someone please help or point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance

Hi all! I'm not sure if this is the right place to post or not, but here it goes...I'm going to be going on the Podcast cruise in May with my mom and my moms best friend's family....we are going to be on the cruise for Mother's Day and i was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to have a special cake ordered on the cruise???

Any help would be most appreciated!

I'm pretty sure the Pixar thing has changed. On the old cake thread there were Cars and Nemo cakes posted, IIRC. Absolutely call and ask, because I really think the "no Pixar" rule is outdated.

This is DD's birthday cake from our trip in 8/07

Date: 8/22/07
Cost: $40 + tax & gratuity
Flavors: Yellow cake, strawberries in custard filling, white buttercream frosting
Decorations: Just asked for something for a little girl who likes purple

2893326050051332420S425x425Q85.jpg

2897531110051332420S425x425Q85.jpg

Price: $25

Date Received: various over the past 5 years

Cake info - white/yellow cake with buttercream filling and icing. We have always called either the GF (when staying somewhere around the lagoon) or The Boardwalk Bakery and asked for the mini 2 tier wedding cake replica and asked that they make it like the larger ones that are included in the Fairytale Wedding packages. Since we were married there the mini wedding cake has always been perfect for us. The taste of their buttercream brings me back :)
I have always been told it's a single serving... but there is no way. We eat those cakes for days. It's so rich! Both bakeries have said it's 4" but after they slather it in buttercream it's bigger than that - plus the top tier.

from 2005 GF bakery
231036853_a98e64e902.jpg

from 2007 BW bakery (sorry - bad yellow photo)
2098648589_a4c0335693_m.jpg
2098645101_cde5ac4672_m.jpg

from 2008 BW bakery
2099412706_f7c282f73e_m.jpg
2921332761_14b87a62e1_m.jpg
2922187822_021d56611a_m.jpg

Cinderella Castle Mini-Cake

Cost: $25 ($38 w/tax and tip - DH left the receipt on the tray!;)) June 2008

Grand Floridian Bakery, delivered to room

Cheesecake with white frosting - it was delicious, but SMALL. Four bites it was gone :rotfl:

WDWjune08001.jpg

Crystal Palace Cake
(Requested at Podium)

$12 (June 2008)

Chocolate cake w/chocolate filling

It was cute, my kids enjoyed the presentation. But the cake was very cold. I believe this is one of the "Sara Lee" frozen cakes. It was okay for the price. They ran out of "Happy Birthday" disks that night! :rotfl:

WDWjune08009.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!