*** Official August 2021 thread ***

It’s nice to see so many people thinking the same as us. We’ve caught two awful colds since we stopped masking. I don’t want to come home with Covid or anything else!

I have a ton of masks and I also got us lanyards in case we want to be able to take them on and off easily.

I just ordered the lanyards. 1/2 my family had colds end of June into July. There’s very little virus around here, at least at that time, so it wasn’t too worrisome

Definitely debating wearing a mask indoors! I haven't had any cold or anything after taking off my mask-probably because of working retail the entire pandemic. Wouldn't be surprised if it changed to require them and it's no skin off my back if I need to wear one in an air conditioned area.

I don’t know if anyone will be interested in this or not to check for their own trip, but I was able to get a really good deal on switching from Pop to AoA for the last week of August. When I checked out of curiosity how much it would be a few weeks ago, it would have been about $1500 more for the week. I ended up switching for a little over $200 yesterday. It looked like some of the other resorts had some pretty good deals, as well, from when I had looked before.

I’m anxiously awaiting mask updates. I thought we’d hear something by now. I just saw on social media that Disney increased park capacity for Oct 1st, which makes no sense given the current situation.

I don’t know if anyone will be interested in this or not to check for their own trip, but I was able to get a really good deal on switching from Pop to AoA for the last week of August. When I checked out of curiosity how much it would be a few weeks ago, it would have been about $1500 more for the week. I ended up switching for a little over $200 yesterday. It looked like some of the other resorts had some pretty good deals, as well, from when I had looked before.
I was playing around a few weeks ago and was able to upgrade my trip. We were staying at POP from August 8th through the 14th. I was able to switch 4 nights over to Coronado Springs for $200. So we'll be at CS for 4 nights and then we'll move to Pop for the last 2 nights. I figure we may be spending more time at the resort since it's so hot, so I figured it was worth the upgrade, and I enjoy trying new resorts. We've never stayed at CS.

I was playing around a few weeks ago and was able to upgrade my trip. We were staying at POP from August 8th through the 14th. I was able to switch 4 nights over to Coronado Springs for $200. So we'll be at CS for 4 nights and then we'll move to Pop for the last 2 nights. I figure we may be spending more time at the resort since it's so hot, so I figured it was worth the upgrade, and I enjoy trying new resorts. We've never stayed at CS.
We’ll be at CSR at the same time! We check in on the 7th. :) I’ve stayed at nearly every other resort, but never CSR. I’ve been researching the heck out of it! (I’m a librarian, it’s what I do. ;))

Glad you were able to get a good deal on the resort change! I was so happy last night when I was able to switch ours, especially since we were supposed to stay at AoA last year, but they weren’t opened back up when we went. We love Pop, but The Little Mermaid is my daughter’s favorite and our trip this year is to celebrate her passing her Veterinary Technician exam, and I wanted to try to switch it for her. I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip!

Yay! Librarians unite! I love my job! (I’m a children’s librarian). My husband is a teacher, so I celebrate the end of summer reading by going to Disney. ;)

I’m a middle school librarian and also teach classes on research, digital literacy, and digital citizenship. I love my job!

Last edited:
I ask this question, although somewhat in trepidation - I am tempted to go to MK on 8/14 thinking there will be lighter crowds due to the announcement of no fireworks and early closure. Am I insane in thinking this? Or is everyone else thinking this? We have 2 MK days so I don't need to see the fireworks twice, plus I have little kids and we are up early and usually in bed earlier than most.

Thoughts? Did I give away my super secret amazing idea??? :earboy2:

I ask this question, although somewhat in trepidation - I am tempted to go to MK on 8/14 thinking there will be lighter crowds due to the announcement of no fireworks and early closure. Am I insane in thinking this? Or is everyone else thinking this? We have 2 MK days so I don't need to see the fireworks twice, plus I have little kids and we are up early and usually in bed earlier than most.

I think there will definitely be a dip in crowds, just as there used to be on "party days" when the MK closed early. I think your idea is a good one.

Last edited:
Murphy's Law: Just after I revised the packing list to omit bringing dozens of masks, and finally put away all the extras I'd bought months ago for our August trip to Florida, it looks like I may have to reverse course, depending on what happens in Orange County! ;) Ah, well -- this trip has been so long in coming, and so hard-earned, we'd still go and happily comply, even if Disney required us to wear head-to-toe hazmat suits and clown wigs.

I'm thinking things will probably be in such flux over the coming month that we should still bring the masks with us, even if they're not required for vaccinated guests when we leave, because that could all change while we're on property. We may even opt to wear them in some situations even if they're not required, depending on comfort level.

We'll be there in the morning. Historically a park closing early for whatever reason does have lighter crowds.

Murphy's Law: Just after I revised the packing list to omit bringing dozens of masks, and finally put away all the extras I'd bought months ago for our August trip to Florida, it looks like I may have to reverse course, depending on what happens in Orange County! ;) Ah, well -- this trip has been so long in coming, and so hard-earned, we'd still go and happily comply, even if Disney required us to wear head-to-toe hazmat suits and clown wigs.

I'm thinking things will probably be in such flux over the coming month that we should still bring the masks with us, even if they're not required for vaccinated guests when we leave, because that could all change while we're on property. We may even opt to wear them in some situations even if they're not required, depending on comfort level.
Dead! Too funny.
Even if things don't change, you are required to wear masks on any transportation, so unless you have your own car, you'll at least need them for that. I bought a bunch of disposables in May, and still threw them in my luggage to be safe.

I just told my kids this morning to get me all their masks they have floating around in their room, backpacks, and car. I want to wash them all and see how many we have. We are flying and will use Disney transportation, so we knew we would need some. But may use them even more with the current state of things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter