Official 2022 HHN 31 - Horror is Universal

yes, you really don’t want to start out your S&S waiting 70 min in that line. defeats the whole idea of coming in early

I’ll toss the Weekend into that category too, astounded how long that line was this year. Can’t remember seeing them use the first part of this year’s queue in the past :scratchin
I think it's a direct correlation to just how popular the artist is.

We are attending this Sunday (10/16) and have Express Passes. We have dinner reservations at CityWalk at 4:30 and then planned to walk over for HHN. What can I expect to encounter if I arrive at 6? or 7? Or am I better off just taking my time... and planning to enter at 7:30? Do the lines to enter wind down at a given point?

We are attending this Sunday (10/16) and have Express Passes. We have dinner reservations at CityWalk at 4:30 and then planned to walk over for HHN. What can I expect to encounter if I arrive at 6? or 7? Or am I better off just taking my time... and planning to enter at 7:30? Do the lines to enter wind down at a given point?
Usually, they are fine by 6:30, even not bad by 6:15. However, something was going on Saturday. We walked over from the Dead Coconut Club about 6:30x. It was backed up the bridge. We headed over to the hotel guest entrance and walked right in. The night wasn’t really that bad in the end. We did each house once with EP and watched the dance show. Did the Tribute store too. We weren’t running either. Finished up by midnight. Must have had delays getting people in or something.

Glad we did HHN this year, but I don’t think we’ll ever plan on it again without express. After the extremely long standby waits at most houses Sunday night, watching crowds of express folks pass us by, I see the necessity, but it would’ve meant another $350 for the 2 of us, just for that . Plus the $ 200 Ticket, that’s a pricey night . DS said he had fun. Son’s favorite house was Halloween. I actually got lost in it, and a team member had to steer me right. Ha . I was embarrassed. I loved Blumhouse and Monaters collide best, and Chupacabra. I only managed 8 houses, DS did 7 before leaving. We made a big mistake in the beginning. Got to S/S early for Halloween. Out if the house by about 540/545. My son didn’t want to do coven, but we could’ve easily done it with no wait. Then should’ve lined up for Dead man/ Chupacsbra. Instead went to wait by gates to go to Blumhouse. DS really wanted to do that one. They held us until 615 behind the barricades by louies. Finally let us out, I know they were still clearing regular guests, but they’d told us they’d open barricades at 6. Blumhouse took about 25-30 mins. made it to Weekend by about 6:45. Posted 40 mins , but we waited at least 60 or more. Often barely moving due to hordes of expesss coming and coming. I totally get that they deserve to bypass/ get on, but it made me realize that express seems necessary to avoid frustration . Lines last year didn’t build that fast until later in evening. I also agree with the unpopular opinion that they’ve made the rush of fear/ frequent fear pass too cheap and includes too many nights. Holiday weekend probably should’ve been excluded. I know, should’ve just bought ex press, and they were selling the after 11 passes. Considered doing that. But I think they were 129 each. Didn’t check with TM on price. Anyway, it reminded me of what Disney is doing with Genie plus here.
scare zones were good. Graveyard one was spookiest especially around 1am. Rather deserted, lots of fog. . Best scares tho we’re in the Candy one. Several got us, because we didn’t realize they were scare actors . Loved all houses. I have an intense phobia of roaches, so just HAD to do bug house. Creeped me out so much, not scary , but with a roach phobia, def got to me. Weekend was super fun, great music especially appreciated in the long *** queue, but didn’t get any jumps. Also may just been in bad mood. Dead man and Monsters had great designs . Got the most jumps out of Monsters. Halloween is one my oldest, favorite horror movies, and appreciated the design, but I think my walk through may have just missed some scares. but my son got some and loved it. I loved and had a great walk through Chupacabra.
Anyway, if you have express, you’ll be fine and have a wonderful time..if not, follow the advice on this thread to maximize stay/ scream. We deviated from plan, and not a good idea. Still had a great time
Also had good times on MiB, mummy that night and got my pizza fries!

Last edited:

In the way early planning for Oct 2023 trip and reading through this thread has me a little less excited for HHN next year. I did it once in 2019, with a RIP tour, and would probably do the same in 2023. I guess for now I'll still plan to do it as we'll go to Universal regardless but really bummed reading some of the negative reviews coming through. Hopefully it's just a one year blip.

Are you allowed to take a small backpack into HHN? And through the Mazes?

Are there any rides at HHN that you CAN'T take a backpack on?

Just trying to plan for this weekend...

Yes, you can take back packs in houses
As for rides, it's no different than daytime
Some yes, some no

In the way early planning for Oct 2023 trip and reading through this thread has me a little less excited for HHN next year. I did it once in 2019, with a RIP tour, and would probably do the same in 2023. I guess for now I'll still plan to do it as we'll go to Universal regardless but really bummed reading some of the negative reviews coming through. Hopefully it's just a one year blip.
I wouldn't feel bummed just from what you're reading here. Realize for every negative review, there are many people raving on FB, Twitter and other forums, including this one, about the fun they had. And many more who loved it, but didn't take time to post. I'm sure there were even guests who may have been less than thrilled when comparing it to past years, but would still say they were glad they went vs staying home.

It's just like any vacation destination or themed event, really. Some will love it, others will hate it - and some just have bad luck or timing when they went (an extra crowded night, miserable weather, encountering a group of rude people, etc.) Overall, I'd say this year is a decent success, just going by reviews across different forums & social platforms.

Several reviewers also mentioned they were apprehensive after reading a bunch of negative things before attending, but then when they actually went, they ended up having a wonderful time.

Last edited:

I had a full sized backpack , no issues in houses. Did have to put it in lockers for Mummy and MiB, and if we’d gone gringotts, there too.

I had a full sized backpack , no issues in houses. Did have to put it in lockers for Mummy and MiB, and if we’d gone gringotts, there too.
And Rip/Ride/Rocket is a no backpack ride. It's a nothing in pocket period ride. Go through a metal detector on that one. Can take park ticket only (for locker re-entry)

We had a good time, but with some frustration due to long regular stand by lines. Houses were still great, some really great. but it was super crowded. But was a holiday weekend. Expected crowds, but still seemed extra busy. But if you have express or go RIP them won’t have the standby aggravation. I still hope to do future events if we’re here during the season

Search past years (not just here, but facebook/twitter, etc).
There are always negative reviews. Always. I've not tracked from who, I'd venture to guess in some cases from the same people. Yet they return so that says something
There are always houses that some say are a let down.
There are always nights with long waits.
There are crowds
EP will always get through faster than stand by
Food is always iffy
Some think the scare zones are great, some think they are lame.
Shows seem to fall in the love/hate, rarely are they eh (though there's always a segment of the "bring back Bill and Ted" population that shows up LOL)
That's just about the one constant about HHN, it's a mixed bag.
After 31 years it is getting harder to find something that they haven't done
So some years they got complaints about too much IP, not enough original stuff
Some years they get complaints about too much original stuff, not enough IP (stuff people have heard of)
Get a pattern?
You can't please everyone and someone will always complain.
Bottom line, don't let this year detract you from your interest in going.
It's no different than any other year in regards to comments.

I think two things hurt this year HHN.
One, way too many people this year for Universal. It reminded me of going to Magic Kingdom for Extra Magic Hours at night and you can't ride but People Mover or Littler Mermaid without waiting in line for over an hour. All you end up doing is just walking around through hordes of people which isn't fun.

Two, the tent poll maze, Halloween is good but not a grand slam in comparison to previous years with Stranger Things , Clowns and American Werewolf in London. So it's just a much weaker lineup of mazes overall.

They held us until 615 behind the barricades by louies. Finally let us out, I know they were still clearing regular guests, but they’d told us they’d open barricades at 6.
Unfortunately, It can be a real crap shoot as to when they get park cleared. Told it’s not unusual for people to try to hide in bathrooms :bitelip: Seriously, even a (killer) klown would know that isn’t going to work.
I also agree with the unpopular opinion that they’ve made the rush of fear/ frequent fear pass too cheap and includes too many nights. Holiday weekend probably should’ve been excluded
How dare you!;)

i’m sure the bean counters will have ‘fixed’ that by next year.
I guess for now I'll still plan to do it as we'll go to Universal regardless but really bummed reading some of the negative reviews coming through. Hopefully it's just a one year blip.
Sometimes the things we complain about are the things we care most about…

for many long-time guests it does seem to have evolved into a love-hate relationship. I get it, can be rather painful to see changes to the event that appear to be wholly of cost cutting measures vs those of an artistic nature.

take it all with a big grain of salt. most people who do visit for the first time are absolutely blown away by the experience. Then, they come back the next year as full-blown critics.

as much as I’ve expressed myself about this year’s event, heading down for one more run thru this weekend:banana::banana::banana:

A huge, HUGE thank you to everyone who has posted tips in this thread! I've been going through every page and putting them in a notes files to help plan our night. I'm *super* excited to be going back to HHN this year. It's been an annual tradition for me and my kids for ~6 years now (my husband/their dad joined us for the first time last year - he's not a theme park guy), and we thought last year would be our last, due to work/school obligations for my oldest. However, she ended up getting part of Friday off, so we are back for one more weekend!

We are all AP holders (not my husband, but he has a ticket), and staying at the RPR, and splurging on EP (we did that last year as an incentive for my hubs to come, and it's hard to turn back on that), and so we are trying to decide our best strategy for tackling HHN this year. We don't typically want to do any of the house more than once, so that isn't a consideration, but enjoy getting the food, visiting the scare zones, etc. What do you think would be best for that plan of attack? We've done sitting in the Stay-and-Scream areas (+Finnegans) in the past, but the hotel guest entrance sounds amazing this year. Maybe we should just do that? What would you do in our shoes? I definitely welcome any opinions on this!

A huge, HUGE thank you to everyone who has posted tips in this thread! I've been going through every page and putting them in a notes files to help plan our night. I'm *super* excited to be going back to HHN this year. It's been an annual tradition for me and my kids for ~6 years now (my husband/their dad joined us for the first time last year - he's not a theme park guy), and we thought last year would be our last, due to work/school obligations for my oldest. However, she ended up getting part of Friday off, so we are back for one more weekend!

We are all AP holders (not my husband, but he has a ticket), and staying at the RPR, and splurging on EP (we did that last year as an incentive for my hubs to come, and it's hard to turn back on that), and so we are trying to decide our best strategy for tackling HHN this year. We don't typically want to do any of the house more than once, so that isn't a consideration, but enjoy getting the food, visiting the scare zones, etc. What do you think would be best for that plan of attack? We've done sitting in the Stay-and-Scream areas (+Finnegans) in the past, but the hotel guest entrance sounds amazing this year. Maybe we should just do that? What would you do in our shoes? I definitely welcome any opinions on this!
Since you are on-site and have express, I recommend (though please don’t take my word as gospel) using the hotel entrance. Get there before 5:15 and go straight into Hellblock Horror when they open the line. You won’t have to use express. Then go to Halloween and use express. Then Coven with express. By this time, the other sound stage houses will be open or about to open. Go to Dead Man’s Pier with express ( I’ll stop saying express, because you’ll use it every time now) and Chupacabra. 5 down, 5 to go. Since you’re in NY area, SF is just down the street and you could go to Blumhouse. Then make a decision on whether to watch the show or keep doing houses. Bugs would be next, then Descendants, then Weekend and Monsters. Take your time in each scare zone as you circle the park (the last two scare zones would be on your way out). Rides along the way if you wish (Diagon Alley is open until midnightish I believe). Food and drinks are plentiful along the way too. Have fun! Our family has had a great time this year.

Unfortunately, It can be a real crap shoot as to when they get park cleared. Told it’s not unusual for people to try to hide in bathrooms :bitelip: Seriously, even a (killer) klown would know that isn’t going to work.

How dare you!;)

i’m sure the bean counters will have ‘fixed’ that by next year.

Sometimes the things we complain about are the things we care most about…

for many long-time guests it does seem to have evolved into a love-hate relationship. I get it, can be rather painful to see changes to the event that appear to be wholly of cost cutting measures vs those of an artistic nature.

take it all with a big grain of salt. most people who do visit for the first time are absolutely blown away by the experience. Then, they come back the next year as full-blown critics.

as much as I’ve expressed myself about this year’s event, heading down for one more run thru this weekend:banana::banana::banana:

And isn`t it wonderful we can complain without being castigated for it!!! I do like we can say we are disappointed without also being castigated and judged for it.

Some people 😉

When I hear from TM/SA they see the changes too.....I know I`m not wrong.

And have a blast this weekend!!!! :cheer2:

And isn`t it wonderful we can complain without being castigated for it!!! I do like we can say we are disappointed without also being castigated and judged for it.

Some people 😉

When I hear from TM/SA they see the changes too.....I know I`m not wrong.

And have a blast this weekend!!!! :cheer2:
Yeah - exactly why I left the Disney side of the forums many years ago.

You can just watch "Expedition Theme park" and they have a bunch of videos on the History of HHN each covering several years - the difference is night and day.
The Rat Lady, Jack the Clown show, Bill and Ted - fire - motorcycles craziness .
The scare zone used to be actual scare zones where they scared people - not just a selfie zone.
I remember SAs trapping people in stores and they were really scared and the SAs would wait and watch for them and pounce- it was a lot of fun.

That said its still fun overall - and you always have Universal to do during the day.

This version of HHN is brining in the people so Universal is doing something right, but we will always talk about what was.

As for what I see on social media I take it with a grain of salt - the streamers really cant say a lot because they wanted to be invited to the events.
Most stuff on social media is hyped positively - it not about reality it about likes etc....

What I do listen to are the folks that have been here for years, or even a couple of years, that I know from here and what their opinion is.

One of the problems with HHN is that two people could go to HHN on the same night and do the exact same things in the exact same order by be 10 seconds apart - one has an amazing walkthrough and raves - they other misses just about everything and hates it.

I do all the houses on multiple nights and sometimes multiple times on the same night and the experience can be the luck of the draw.
Last year I did a private RIP tour and we did a walkthrough on one of the houses and it was terrible - we did it again later and it was great.

If you can afford it and have the time I highly recommend doing the behind the scenes tours during the day - I do the 6 house and 3 house every year and it adds a ton of context and really makes you appreciate the event even more.

If you can do a private RIP tour do it - it was the highlight of my many nights at HHN last year. A private RIP tour is often less than a regular RIP tour if you have an AP and the 10 people to do it.

If you can afford it get the Express Pass - sounds like this year more than ever it is needed - I don't think I could ever go without it again - but it hurts to pay for it.

I would not tell anyone not to go - especially since I have not gone this year myself - and wont be able to - although I am trying my best to even swing a weekend there.

I will say its not what it was - and we will talk about it here and its going to seam negative - but HHN is still worthwhile overall - and no matter what you are in Orlando and have lots to do and hopefully nice weather - and there is always StrongWater to visit.

Also if you can check out the Sea World event - yes its armature hour compared to HHN - but there was a time when Universal was armature hour compared to Disney and now its nipping on its heels.

One last thing Disney\Universal\HHN is very expensive trip and may be a once in a lifetime trip in some cases - I'm lucky enough that sometimes I can go two to three times a year with a cheap flight and Annual Passes - its important that they have all the info - good and bad to way the pros and cons

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter