"Official" 2018 Disney After Hours (DAH) Thread (Now Closed, see New 2019 Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't mean to bog down the thread with personal questions about my trip, but I wanted to know if anyone had experience with dining at Jiko. I have an ADR at Jiko at 530 pm on the night of my DAH on 3/8. I did this because it is the only night Jiko fit in our plans and I have been dying to try it. I plan on getting to AKL around 5 so that I make sure I am seated promptly at 530 or earlier. I don't want to "rush" dinner, but I have no interest in making it a 2 hour experience either. Do I have enough time to go to Jiko for dinner and still make it to DAH around 7 pm for a FP to PP 615-715? Not the end of the world if I miss the PP FP, but I would be disappointed if I showed up to the park later than 730. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Also, I was considering visiting Sam's for happy hour before dinner and to get souvenir glasses. I am staying at the Contemporary, so I might have to stop there after dinner to drop off the glasses, or possibly use a locker at MK if time is tight. Anyone have any luck storing souvenir glasses from Sam's in a locker at MK? There will be 4 of us, so most likely 4 glasses. I read what GADisneydad said about the size of the box, but was curious if anyone tried to store them yet.

Thanks for all the info!

It seems like you have a LOT you want to do in a short amount of time! What time would you expect to go to Trader Sam’s? And are you planning Uber/Lyft to AKL? For that matter, what about AKL to MK (or the Contemporary)? Because Disney transportation can be a BIG unknown variable. If you plan on Disney transport to AKL, you realize you have to go to a park first (presumably MK or AK) and then catch the AKL bus from there, right?

I don’t quite remember how long our dinner at Jiko lasted, as it was many years ago, BUT it was a wonderful meal in a beautiful atmosphere, and I would never want to rush the meal and feel pressured to be somewhere at a specific time. I would think that the earliest you would get done is an hour. If you aren’t savoring the experience and the meal, I think you may be missing out and perhaps consider dining there on another trip.

If it were me, I would either try to move my reservation up to 5:00 and forego TS, or go to TS and maybe eat at Kona and cancel the Jiko. I’m sure this isn’t exactly what you want to hear, and maybe I’m being overly-cautious.

I emailed Disney to complain about the inconvenient process of forcing in-park people to come back to the entrance at 6pm or 7pm to get the lanyards. This is the response I got:
Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort!

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us! It is our goal to create magical memories and exceed the expectations of our Guests during each and every interaction that you have with us!

Typically, Guests like yourselves who have entered the Theme Park using a Magic Your Way® Ticket and have also purchased Special Event tickets for the same day may return to the main entrance or designated locations in the Park to have the special event admission media scanned any time after 4:00 PM. You will receive your credentials, which will serve as proof of admission for the event later that evening.

Once they have scanned your event ticket and you have received your credentials, you may stay in the Park at regular Park closing to enjoy the event, while Guests without the proper credentials will be told the Park has closed for the day and will be asked to leave the Park. Designated locations for credential distribution are indicated by signage, or you may ask a Cast Member for directions to these locations.

We look forward to you and your loved ones experiencing the Power of Magic real soon!

If you have any other questions or challenges, please do not hesitate to contact us by replying to this email or by calling us at 407-939-7765 and we will be more than happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,

Ming Taylor
eCommerce Sales and Service Team
(BBM)
We can come back at 4pm to get our lanyards, eh? If only :sad2: Has anyone on this board reported getting their lanyards at 4pm this year? Probably not. But people have reported being turned away and told to come back at 7pm.

If time works out, I will try it right before our 3:55 Plaza reservation. I just wish I knew for sure we could get them.

Last edited:
I
We can come back at 4pm to get our lanyards, eh? If only :sad2: Has anyone on this board reported getting their lanyards at 4pm this year? Probably not. But people have reported being turned away and told to come back at 7pm.

If time works out, I will try it right before our 3:55 Plaza reservation. I just wish I knew for sure we could get them.

I wouldn't count on it! That sounds like you got a response for the parties, or someone who is just clueless about what is happening.

Weren't some people able to get their lanyards at guest services in Liberty Square? That's what I will try on 2/15

I emailed Disney to complain about the inconvenient process of forcing in-park people to come back to the entrance at 6pm or 7pm to get the lanyards. This is the response I got:
BBM

Wow thank you for this as I will be entering MK around 3:30 as have as Skipper Canteen reservation, unless a Plaza reservation opens up (fingers crossed). Now I won't worry about having to wait until 7ish to go look for the lanyard. I will try just before my reservation at Skipper (4pm) or right after I eat. Again thanks for sharing this information. Took a screen shot just in case!

I wouldn't count on it! That sounds like you got a response for the parties, or someone who is just clueless about what is happening.

Weren't some people able to get their lanyards at guest services in Liberty Square?
That's what I will try on 2/15
people have reported getting their lanyards from Guest Services at Liberty Square. But definitely not at 4. Seems like anytime before 6pm people are being turned away and told to come back.

Wow thank you for this as I will be entering MK around 3:30 as have as Skipper Canteen reservation, unless a Plaza reservation opens up (fingers crossed). Now I won't worry about having to wait until 7ish to go look for the lanyard. I will try just before my reservation at Skipper (4pm) or right after I eat. Again thanks for sharing this information. Took a screen shot just in case!
Ooo, great idea! I will print out a copy too. Doubt it'll do any good, but when I get turned away at least I'll have something to show them and see what they have to say

Last edited:
I’m still wondering if we should try using our plastic cards at around 5 pm? We go To dah on 3/1.

I would not advise anyone to have high expectations regarding either getting in the park with your DAH ticket or getting event lanyards (if in the park via other admission means) at 4pm. The earliest reports so far have been 6ish if I’m not mistaken.

YMMV of course, but I trust fellow DISer reports more than I trust CMs when it comes to accurate DAH info. Disney is not always the best at telling the right hand what the left hand is doing internally.

I would not advise anyone to have high expectations regarding either getting in the park with your DAH ticket or getting event lanyards (if in the park via other admission means) at 4pm. The earliest reports so far have been 6ish if I’m not mistaken.

YMMV of course, but I trust fellow DISer reports more than I trust CMs when it comes to accurate DAH info. Disney is not always the best at telling the right hand what the left hand is doing internally.

This. We were in the park that day and picked up our lanyards at guest services on main st at 6:10pm. Our friends got in the park at 6, as soon as the dedicated line was set up. This is from the Jan 30th DAH.

We booked our after hours tickets for March 1 and I chose to print ours out as paper tickets. Our tickets have numbers on them that say ticket number (and mid range double digit numbers) in the bottom right-hand corner. Do you think that’s how many they sold already for March 1?

Wow, great catch! I think you are absolutely right!! I also printed up the paper tickets so I went and looked at mine. I purchased them in mid-Nov for the 3/1 DAH, and my 5 tickets are numbered 156-160. Can anyone who has ordered theirs more recently update the group as to what number theirs were?!?!

Wow, great catch! I think you are absolutely right!! I also printed up the paper tickets so I went and looked at mine. I purchased them in mid-Nov for the 3/1 DAH, and my 5 tickets are numbered 156-160. Can anyone who has ordered theirs more recently update the group as to what number theirs were?!?!

I got tickets for the 1/30 date. We bought ours on 11/7 and our tickets were 2238-2241.

We attended DAH on 1/30. We have AP so we spent time in the park during the day. At 5pm we went to guest services to ask about Lanyard pickup because we had a 545 BOG dinner. We were told that we had to leave the park. After dinner we raced walked to the front and yes had to go out into the area after entry and pickup our lanyards then raced walked back to see HEA and then get the night started. It was still a great night but I think they could have let us get our lanyards somewhere else inside the park even if it was at 7 to be more convenient. We did watch the whole HEA with other DAH people and it ended at 815 we didnt really lose much time. We positioned ourselves near Adventure Land raced to pirates which we walked on. Then BTMRR rode that twice without getting out of the car and headed over to Haunted Mansion. We worked our way around the park, enjoying the rides and the snacks. All in all it was a great night.

Last edited:
We attended DAH on 1/30. We have AP so we spent time in the park during the day. At 5pm we went to guest services to ask about Landyard pickup because we had a 545 BOG dinner. We were told that we had to leave the park. After dinner we raced walked to the front and yes had to go out into the area after entry and pickup our landyards then raced walked back to see HEA and then get the night started. It was still a great night but I think they could have let us get our landyards somewhere else inside the park even if it was at 7 to be more convenient. We did watch the whole HEA with other DAH people and it ended at 815 we didnt really lose much time. We positioned ourselves near Adventure Land raced to pirates which we walked on. Then BTMRR rode that twice without getting out of the car and headed over to Haunted Mansion. We worked our way around the park, enjoying the rides and the snacks. All in all it was a great night.
That sounds like a great plan. That's what we will do on March 1.

It seems like you have a LOT you want to do in a short amount of time! What time would you expect to go to Trader Sam’s? And are you planning Uber/Lyft to AKL? For that matter, what about AKL to MK (or the Contemporary)? Because Disney transportation can be a BIG unknown variable. If you plan on Disney transport to AKL, you realize you have to go to a park first (presumably MK or AK) and then catch the AKL bus from there, right?

I don’t quite remember how long our dinner at Jiko lasted, as it was many years ago, BUT it was a wonderful meal in a beautiful atmosphere, and I would never want to rush the meal and feel pressured to be somewhere at a specific time. I would think that the earliest you would get done is an hour. If you aren’t savoring the experience and the meal, I think you may be missing out and perhaps consider dining there on another trip.

If it were me, I would either try to move my reservation up to 5:00 and forego TS, or go to TS and maybe eat at Kona and cancel the Jiko. I’m sure this isn’t exactly what you want to hear, and maybe I’m being overly-cautious.
I think its a good idea to skip TS... The problem with Jiko is we are on the deluxe plan and need to use our dining credits, so dining somewhere other than a signature would be difficult (because we would need to add a lunch too). I plan on ubering to AKL. Jiko opens at 530, otherwise we would have reserved an earlier time. I think we may still shoot for Jiko, I will just have to hope for the best and see what happens! I appreciate your response!

I have two options currently for dah and am not sure which is better. We have a 10:35am at 1900 pf or a 5:10pm at Whispering canyon cafe. With breakfast we would be traveling back and forth. With the dinner we would potentially be missing out on some dah time. Which one is better?

I think its a good idea to skip TS... The problem with Jiko is we are on the deluxe plan and need to use our dining credits, so dining somewhere other than a signature would be difficult (because we would need to add a lunch too). I plan on ubering to AKL. Jiko opens at 530, otherwise we would have reserved an earlier time. I think we may still shoot for Jiko, I will just have to hope for the best and see what happens! I appreciate your response!

I didn’t realize Jiko opens at 5:30. That’s actually surprising! One would think that it would at least open at 5:00.

I just looked at park/event hours for your DAH night, and yours is 9-12. So, you kinda have an “extra” hour. Even if you don’t get there until 7, you’ll likely have plenty of event time!

I have two options currently for dah and am not sure which is better. We have a 10:35am at 1900 pf or a 5:10pm at Whispering canyon cafe. With breakfast we would be traveling back and forth. With the dinner we would potentially be missing out on some dah time. Which one is better?

I can’t remember - how many days will you be there?

We had a 5:10 reservation at WCC on 1/30 (our DAH night). We got to the boat dock at 6:20 right as the boat to MK was pulling away. It took another 20-25 min for another boat to pull up. We got our lanyards at 6:58 without a wait and started our night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!