"Official" 2018 Disney After Hours (DAH) Thread (Now Closed, see New 2019 Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m trying to plan our strategy for the 3/8 Party, and I noticed the following in Josh’s post about DAH:

“You’ll see fewer cast members at the attractions and where variable capacity comes into play, fewer ride vehicles. That can push up waits a bit first thing as people are less spread out after heading to the highest priority ride in their chosen land.”

I guess it makes sense that people would automatically go to the more popular rides first, so I was wondering if it would be smart to hit up some of the lower-profile rides in a land for the first little bit of the party before moving on to a headliner. (Of course, it seems like tonight is going a little better than last week, so maybe crowds won’t be an issue.)

I’m trying to plan our strategy for the 3/8 Party, and I noticed the following in Josh’s post about DAH:

“You’ll see fewer cast members at the attractions and where variable capacity comes into play, fewer ride vehicles. That can push up waits a bit first thing as people are less spread out after heading to the highest priority ride in their chosen land.”

I guess it makes sense that people would automatically go to the more popular rides first, so I was wondering if it would be smart to hit up some of the lower-profile rides in a land for the first little bit of the party before moving on to a headliner. (Of course, it seems like tonight is going a little better than last week, so maybe crowds won’t be an issue.)

That’s what we did. Started at Astro, then people mover then went to buzz then Space. Walked through fantasyland and could see the line at 7DMT went on Peter Pan which was a walk on. Then went to Hm, from there to BTMRR. Then country bear jamoboree. Then Mermaid, Pooh and 7DMT.

We did all the other attractions that we wanted to do but didn’t want to waste our 3 late hours on, earlier. We did POC because I was nervous we would get stuck on it during DAH. That would irritate me. Lol

Last edited:

Peter Pan has been listed at 15 min on MDE for the past hour or so. Is that true or is it similar to 7DMT with an actual wait that’s much more reasonable?

Wonderful news! I want to thank everybody for their meticulous reports. I'm so happy to hear everyone is having a fabulous time.

Thank goodness to hear that in park people could just go to guest services to pick up their lanyards. And early too! Plus none of that exit and re-enter foolishness. That was crazy. I might be able to go back to my original plan of getting our lanyards right after our 3:55pm dinner at the Plaza since we will be in the neighborhood. Otherwise, we'll get them around 6:20pm before we go to the Dessert Party.

Wow, even more snack carts. That's fantastic. I was thinking we might have to skip getting popcorn because we couldn't afford to waste time in line, particularly because we are going to watch the fireworks and will be down to less than 3 hours for DAH.

Sounds like Disney is on the ball this go around. I am so proud of Disney for ironing out the wrinkles so everyone can have a more enjoyable experience. I don't know if last time was a fluke or Disney listened to complaints, but whatever it was Bravo to Disney! I hope Disney uses this evening's DAH as a model going forward. I am just sorry the first group had to endure such a rough, chaotic experience.

Thanks everyone for the reports. Can anyone tell me about Peter Pan, did you get to go thru the interactive line? Or did they have you go thru the fast Pass line? I'd like to spend a few minutes in the regular line since I never do stand by there.

Happy to hear there are more snack stands open too. Four more days! :jumping1:

So I went with the 3 day park hoppers! It cost us $632 more, but we are so excited to have another day in the park. We are doing RD at Epcot with FPs there and then will do the second part of our day at HS. It's nice to know that if we want to leave AK early we have that option now.

I went tonight...got my lanyard around 6:30 pm. Here's what I did, in the order that I did it:

Buzz Lightyear 2x

Space Mountain 2x

Tea Cups

7DMT 2x

All 4 Princesses

Peter Pan

Snack Time: Mickey Bar & water

Haunted Mansion

BTMR 2x

Pirates

Jungle Cruise

Snack Time: Popcorn & Water

Several Photopass stops on Main Street

Tinkerbell

I thought it went very smooth, and everything was pretty much a walk on. It was a near-perfect evening!!

Here is how our night went. We loved it and had a great time!!

The players- 2 adults, an 18 year old, 14 year old and 13 year old.

We got to MK at 12 and ate lunch at the plaza. Then we knocked out, hall of Presidents, tiki room, dole whips, pirates of the Caribbean, monsters laugh floor, COP, people mover, jungle cruise and then got our DAH lanyards at 6:30. They did make us go out of the park and right back in. We did Astro, People mover, and buzz right before 8. This is what we accomplished after 8. I want to make it clear, we hustled to everything! Not running but moving fast and eating as we were going.

Astro 1

People mover 1

Buzz 3

Space 1

Peter Pan 1

HM 2

BTMRR 5

Country bear jamboree 1

Little mermaid 1

Pooh 1

Small world 1

Mickey bars 4

Mickey ice cream sandwiches 5

Sodas 7

Water 2

Olaf bar 16

Popcorn 2

Quick recap now, more detailed after we get home tomorrow night:

We had been in the park all day, at 6:45 pm we got to GS at City Hall and asked about DAH and were directed to two CM who processed us and gave us lanyards. We did NOT have to exit the park and re-enter.

Starting at 7:30, when I a) really noticed the crowds significantly clearing out and b) started using our lanyards as FPs, this is what we (2 parents, 9 year old son and 8 year old daughter) accomplished:

PotC

Magic Carpets

BTMRR (during fireworks) x 3

Snacks outside BTMRR (4 Diet Cokes, popcorn and a Mickey Bar)

Bathroom stop

Haunted Mansion

Talking Mickey

Buzz x 2

Snacks in Tomorrowland (2 popcorns, Diet Coke, Sprite and a fruit popsicle)

Astro Orbiter (kids rode by themselves)

Dumbo

Barnstormer

Bathroom stop

Ariel’s Grotto

7DMT

PP

WtP

7DMT x 2

All in all I think we did about the best we could have hoped for. We really lucked out with that last 7DMT ride as we were literally the second to last people in line before they roped it off. Five more seconds and we would have missed out on that last ride.

I had a blast tonight! I happened to be in town for work, and this was my only night free - so glad I did this.

I am not really a ride warrior, and I’m still recovering from a broken ankle, but I embraced the spirit of it. Got my lanyard at 6:15 and made my way in.

Highlights: Riding BTMR 3 times in a row, including as the fireworks were beginning and then ending; feeling a little scandalous as I rode Dumbo 3 times without leaving the ride, and then riding Barnstormer completely by myself.

Once the event started, I only waited twice - once for 20 full minutes around 9:45 for 7DMT, and once for maybe 8 minutes for Peter Pan (pass line only). I thought the overall crowd was way less than I have seen for the parties.

I did ask someone at the Emporium about merch (wanted a pin), but two CMs said they had nothing, even as the event flyer claimed there were items for sale.

All told, though: perfect weather, fun way to do MK for a change, and really cool to repeat rides so much. I left a happy, limpy camper.

Here is how our night went. We loved it and had a great time!!

The players- 2 adults, an 18 year old, 14 year old and 13 year old.

We got to MK at 12 and ate lunch at the plaza. Then we knocked out, hall of Presidents, tiki room, dole whips, pirates of the Caribbean, monsters laugh floor, COP, people mover, jungle cruise and then got our DAH lanyards at 6:30. They did make us go out of the park and right back in. We did Astro, People mover, and buzz right before 8. This is what we accomplished after 8. I want to make it clear, we hustled to everything! Not running but moving fast and eating as we were going.

Astro 1

People mover 1

Buzz 3

Space 1

Peter Pan 1

HM 2

BTMRR 5

Country bear jamboree 1

Little mermaid 1

Pooh 1

Small world 1

Mickey bars 4

Mickey ice cream sandwiches 5

Sodas 7

Water 2

Olaf bar 16

Popcorn 2

Really, 16 Olaf Bars....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter