"Official" 2018 Disney After Hours (DAH) Thread (Now Closed, see New 2019 Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the lanyards really act as fastpasses between 7-8pm? For all rides?

I don’t think they are supposed to. We did btmrr via standby and when we were done it was 7:50. Since it was 10 mins away we were just going to wait but The cm told us we could go ahead via the FP line.

I agree! Even if people are not being allowed on rides, it is difficult to move around & get to different lands & attractions if there are lots of people hanging around. And that eats into time we have to get rides done. Disney’s website states “when the crowds clear & the gates close”. Sounds like they are promoting it as a closed/ empty park to me.
Well I’ll go March 1 and see how it is. If it’s not worth it we just wont do it again.

I agree! Even if people are not being allowed on rides, it is difficult to move around & get to different lands & attractions if there are lots of people hanging around. And that eats into time we have to get rides done. Disney’s website states “when the crowds clear & the gates close”. Sounds like they are promoting it as a closed/ empty park to me.

It was definitely not hard to move around. And it does feel empty. Non-DAH people do leave because there is nothing for them to do. They just are not forced out. This was the same way last year.

I’m not trying to justify it, just saying what to expect. If it’s going to make the night unpleasant for you (or anyone else) knowing people who didn’t pay might be in the park, it might be best to pass on this one.

At least last night, the park emptied very quickly. And after we were done with btmrr, the walk to space was very, very uncrowded.

You are absolutely right! The more people hanging around and in the way, the harder it is to move around the park.

It’s not hard to move around. At all. For some perspective, this is my 7th trip in the past 13 months and I have never seen the park with as anything close to as low crowds as DAH (this year and last, I did March 2 last year). Even at midnight on a low crowd day is WAY more crowded than DAH.

I've been to many many MNSSHP and MVMCP. I always have been let in at 4pm with the CMs waiting with wristbands upon entering. I always see the CMs very efficiently helping clear the guests out of the park and CMs stationed throughout the park really checkig for those wristbands. There was none of that ladt night. The first CM we encountered to check for lanyards was near the adventureland bridge around 9:15pm. I just don't think there is enough time to get day guests ushered out after fireworks and monitor guests with lanyards for the event.

I am thankful for all of the early reports. I switched up one of my FPs to 7DMT, that way I’ll get a ride in even if there’s long lines during the party-I’ll probably still ride during the party, but now I won’t be as stressed about longer lines!

It was definitely not hard to move around. And it does feel empty. Non-DAH people do leave because there is nothing for them to do. They just are not forced out. This was the same way last year.

I’m not trying to justify it, just saying what to expect. If it’s going to make the night unpleasant for you (or anyone else) knowing people who didn’t pay might be in the park, it might be best to pass on this one.

At least last night, the park emptied very quickly. And after we were done with btmrr, the walk to space was very, very uncrowded.

It’s not hard to move around. At all. For some perspective, this is my 7th trip in the past 13 months and I have never seen the park with as anything close to as low crowds as DAH (this year and last, I did March 2 last year). Even at midnight on a low crowd day is WAY more crowded than DAH.

Thank you for these posts, they make me feel better. I did remember reading that guests just kind of leave on their own last year. But after reading comments that it felt like an EMH & there was no attempt to clear the park I was pretty concerned. I certainly did not pay to experience an EMH type crowd. But your comments make me feel more hopeful again.

Since the tickets are bought, airfare & hotel paid for, I am coming no matter what. (Well, it is still January so I guess I should say I anticipate coming baring any weather related issues). I would have happily paid the $150 Disney charged the first year to experience an empty park. Still would actually. I hope I can still get some of that empty park feeling. If not, it will be a one & done for us.

Some of the reviews are definitely disappointing. I'm doing this for the first time on the 8th and was really looking forward to doing things like the mine train a few times in a row but that seems like it wouldn't be possible.

I'm doing my first DAH on 2/15, and am trying to take notes from these reviews. There was a post about multiple SDMT rides after 10:30, so I may leave it till last. I am going on a short trip and have no MK FP at all yet, so am hoping this works out!

You are absolutely right! The more people hanging around and in the way, the harder it is to move around the park.
We got stuck behind a group of about 5 people meandering through the castle. They were blocking the walkway all the way through. It was after 9, and not one of them had a lanyard.

My thoughts of the night. We went last year same week. Last year we got in at 4 and it was less crowded. Since we was hopeful to get in at 4 again and didn't, we walked to contemporary and ate at the cafe and then did the monorail loop to waste some time. We went in at 6:38 and the firework crowds were annoying. Went to people mover and the girl asked what time the event started. I felt bad for her because no one had informed her before her shift.we then went to buzz. When the fireworks started we were walking to dwarfs and that first ride we had other guest with us but seeing the fireworks while riding was magical. We then rode two more times. 3 minute wait maybe. Then went for popcorn and drinks. Longest line of the night. Rode big thunder 3 times ,extremely short wait . I can't remember exactly what was next but was on Main Street at 10 for pictures. It was great. I saw a photographer work with a little girl for at least 30 pictures like a mini photo shoot. We rode pooh,peter pan,IASW, haunted mansion . Stopping for drinks in between there. So we wasn't going commando. At 10:45 we started walking to Casey. Main Street was busy . They eventually closed Casey because of the time and crowds. I planned my whole vacation around this night and used all my vacation time at work for 2018. That's how great last year was . If I didn't compare the two years, I would be over the moon about what a great time we had. It's hard to imagine being disappointed. It is a great event and I have been to them all.last year we didn't have to even get off barnstormer and had a boat to ourselves on pirates. I think it was pirates. This year, we had a three minute wait. No complaints. As long as they do not raise the amount of tickets sold,I will go every year.

We are seriously thinking about going to DAH the night we fly in (1/26). But since we’ll be up at 3 am we may either be exhausted, or we may be still on west coast time and full of Disney adrenaline. So we’re not buying tickets ahead of time, and will instead decide when we land. I understand that the biggest risk is a sell out. It sounds like last year they didn’t sell out, but yesterday did. What’s the chance that the 26th will sell out?

Would doing a bog dinner at 8 be a bad idea for a dah that starts at 9? I had a 4:15 but looks like we won’t be able to use that now.

Would doing a bog dinner at 8 be a bad idea for a dah that starts at 9? I had a 4:15 but looks like we won’t be able to use that now.

I think BoG at 8 would cut into event time, especially since you can enter at 7pm. Maybe you could make a reservation for 8 and see if they could seat you earlier? I know that works for BoG breakfasts.

Just bought tickets for 1-26, and am so glad to see some good reviews here!! I was planning to wait to buy tickets, since I'm not sure how energetic my 6 year old DD will be by 8 p.m., but I also hated the risk of selling out. Hopefully short wait times and Mickey Bars will energize her! :) .

I'll report back after the event, in case others are wondering whether it's a good value with younger kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts