Official 2017 Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend!

How are the airport shuttles? I was just planning on using Uber and then I have a discount code for a free ride on Lyft (up to $50), so I'll be using that to get to LAX. But how much time do the shuttles take? Are they efficient/cost-effective? Uber is estimating me at $20-25 from John Wayne and then $50-60 to LAX.

ETA: Also, I'm flying in/out of different airports (clearly) because I used points to fly and that was the most efficient way. Nothing like trying to get a last minute trip, 32-hour trip as cheap as possible :)
Booked Super Shuttle round trip from LAX $36 with tip . Discount code I use was Quest.

I'm flying from boston Friday too!

We are flying from Boston on Friday. My DH has a gig late Thursday night, so it's going to be a long day for him. We are staying at Paradise Pier on Friday and Saturday and then we move to the GC on Sunday. We fly home Wednesday.

We originally planned to fly home on Thursday, but discovered that my DD17's senior year spring concert is on Thursday. We paid a ton to change the flights and I rented the points for GC so we are eating that too. Oh well.

Since Dark Side has it's course and waivers now......that means...

WE'RE NEXT!!!!!!!!
200w.webp

Same here :-) we're going through MN on SunCountry to take advantage of some points my husband has from work travel.

Ha! If you're flying to Minneapolis you might be with my boyfriend! He lives in MN and is also flying out Friday on suncountry

Not Bay area, but Sacramento area so not too far.

I'll be flying in Friday morning and leaving Monday evening. I've had pretty good luck with Super Shuttle, except for my last trip. I made the mistake of needing to take a shuttle while the half marathon was still going on. After the shuttle hadn't arrived at my hotel an hour after they were supposed to, I got nervous and took Uber so I wouldn't miss my flight.
I'm flying home to Sacramento on Monday evening too. There are always a lot of runners on the flights back to Sac on the Monday after a race.

:tinker: It's Fairy Friday! :tinker:

In which I blatantly steal the "Sundays Are For Disney"/"QOTD" ideas from other threads here in the runDisney section! :teeth:

We are 6 Fridays away from Tinker Bell Half Marathon Weekend, so to keep us chatting/sharing ideas, I thought I'd post a question each Friday that we can discuss! Questions are about Disneyland Resort and/or the Tinker Bell Races!

6 weeks to go, Pixies...Happy Fairy Friday! :tinker:

Question of the Week: We’re 6 Fridays away! How is your training going? What does a typical training week look like for you? What is on tap for the rest of your training?

BONUS QOTW: Do you listen to music when you run? If so, what songs do you listen to?

----------------------------------------------------

My answer:

My typical training week is:
MO: lifting/yoga
TU: short run
WE: short run
TH: lifting
FR: medium run/yoga
SA: rest
SU: long run

I’d love to fit another yoga class/lifting session in somewhere but there aren’t enough hours in the day...

I’ve been occasionally shuffling the run days to get some back-to-back medium/long run training in (switching my rest day and long run day). I’m planning on topping out at a 12-mile long run - that will be the first weekend in May and will be at the end of back-to-back-to-back runs to simulate Tink weekend for me. :) Every couple of weeks I decrease my mileage to let myself recover. Essentially I am following Hal Higdon’s Novice 2 Half Marathon Training Plan. It's going decently well so far, knock on wood!

Bonus QOTW: For most of my runs, I do not listen to music/podcasts/whatever. I do occasionally listen to music on my long runs, and when I do, it’s usually Disney Parks loops! I just discovered the Trader Sam’s playlist on Spotify, so that will definitely be going into my rotation (I know there are runDisney playlists too, but I haven’t listened to them yet)! I don’t plan on bringing music to listen to during the Tink races...I want to just soak it all in! :)

Last edited:
QOTW: I borrowed a training plan from a running class last year. I haven't been as consistent as I wished due to too many rainy days. My intended plan:
MO: short run
TU: Orangetheory
WE: short run
TH: Orangetheory
FR: short run
SA: long run
SU: rest

Bonus QOTW: I don't listen to music when I run.

ATTQOTD:

Typical week
MO: rest
TU: short easy run 3,4 or 5 miles, either 12:03 or 11:16 avg pace depending on the week
WE: strength workout/yoga
TH: ~7mi tempo run, 9:39 pace for varying miles with WU & CD sandwiching it
FR: rest
SA: 4 mile easy run, 12:03 pace
SU: long runs, 10:52 pace

I've gotten to 8 mile LR. I have 9 mile and 10 mile ones coming up!
Thursdays are my hardest nights because it's my fastest pace and it's almost exclusively on a treadmill. I feel like right now I could finish the half marathon but not as fast or as pretty as if I keep on training. And so I'll keep on training! :)

My 9 mile LR coming up will be my first "fuel" test run since it will be longer than 90 minutes. Wish my stomach luck!

BONUS Answer: I've been listening to a lot of rundisney playlists on spotify lately during my long runs and easy runs. Lots of music that isn't so heart pumping that I'll want to go too fast and it keeps me in a good mood. I listen to more intense dance music and running/workout playlists on spotify for my tempo runs because it "amps me up" more. I tried podcasts and I just tune them out.
I'm bringing my earbuds with me for Tink, but I want to try not to use them at all and "soak it in" like Ariel said. If I need them on the back half out of the park they will be there for me.

Excited to be joining all of you!!

For the PHM, I was doing 3 days/week following the Galloway plan - 2 30-45min runs during the week, and a long run on the weekend. Adding in A session of yoga or cross-training where I could.

Since then, I've moved to 4 days/wk, adding a week-day tempo run/speed training workout in.

This week was:
30 min
Temp run
40 min
8 miles this weekend

I listen to podcasts while I run - running, politics, celeb gossip, etc.

:tinker:FAIRY FRIDAY!!! :tinker:

And only 6 Fridays away. SQUEEEEE!!!
Normal week for me
MO: Strength/core workout
TU: Maintenance run 4 miles. Planning to start stretching this out to 5 miles soon
Yoga in the evening
WE: Strength/core workout
TH: Maintenance run 4 miles. Planning to start stretching this out to 5 miles soon
Yoga in the evening
FR: rest
SA: Long run anywhere from 8 miles and up depending on where I am in the training cycle
SU: Supposed to be riding my bike, but been failing pretty miserably at that of late

Just completed a 12 mile run last weekend that went great, so I feel like I should be in pretty good shape for Tink. Planning to get a 14 miler in as my furthest distance before the race.

BONUS: I have a running playlist with a mix of songs on it. I don't listen to it on short runs and only occasionally on long runs if hubby and I run low on conversation or I'm struggling. Songs are a variety of old 80s stuff, some current pop, some country, some big band - it's eclectic :) . I mostly try to pick things with a good beat that works well with my running cadence.

I'm following a plan from a friend right here on the boards. Typically it's an easy, short run on Tuesday, a strength (speed/track) workout on Wednesday, a tempo run on Friday, and a long easy run on Sunday. Now and then there's another short, easy run tossed in on Monday or Friday to help me practice for the challenge. This week's long run is 8 miles, so I'm getting back up there! I did all three Princess races, took a week off and then started this training plan.

I do listen to music usually. Sometimes podcasts, but as a former dancer I find it easier to run with a beat.

I listen to podcasts while I run - running, politics, celeb gossip, etc.

I listen to podcasts on my commute. There's a new short one that just downloaded a few days ago. It's called S-Town from This American Life. I'm only about halfway through, but I'm thoroughly engrossed by it.

I listen to podcasts on my commute. There's a new short one that just downloaded a few days ago. It's called S-Town from This American Life. I'm only about halfway through, but I'm thoroughly engrossed by it.

Adding it to my list! I really enjoy This American Life. Thanks!

I'm trying to follow Jeff Galloway's plan to get a better time but that means I need to run 15 miles this weekend and we're supposed to get 2-6 inches of snow tonight, so we'll see how that goes.

I also love podcasts (another vote for S-Town!) but have been listening to the Harry Potter books on audible to keep me going. My rule is I can only listen to a book while I am actually running. I've read all the books (many) times before. I've found they really help me to stay motivated but I know the plots well enough that I can zone out when I need to focus on running.

I have a training/race weekend question. My 15 year old dd (soon to be 16 in a week) is doing the Pixie dust challenge. It will be her first challenge. Shes completed 3 half marathons, multiple 10ks, and countless 5ks.

My question is -- since this is her first challenge should she train differently then she has in the past when preparing for a half marathon? Also - any tips for handling race weekend food or fatigue would be so appreciated. We are local so we won't be doing the parks much if at all it would be only after the half for some fun in park photo ops. I just want to make sure she is properly prepared.

She is pre-season training for cross country and doing her regular school dance team stuff with long runs on the weekend. I know she can complete either distance. Its just the back to back part that's new for her.

I have a training/race weekend question. My 15 year old dd (soon to be 16 in a week) is doing the Pixie dust challenge. It will be her first challenge. Shes completed 3 half marathons, multiple 10ks, and countless 5ks.

My question is -- since this is her first challenge should she train differently then she has in the past when preparing for a half marathon? Also - any tips for handling race weekend food or fatigue would be so appreciated. We are local so we won't be doing the parks much if at all it would be only after the half for some fun in park photo ops. I just want to make sure she is properly prepared.

She is pre-season training for cross country and doing her regular school dance team stuff with long runs on the weekend. I know she can complete either distance. Its just the back to back part that's new for her.
I train the same as I do for a half marathon, with the exception that I throw in 2-3 back-to-back runs (example - 2 weeks from now I'll be doing a 5-miler and a 10-miler on consecutive days). I think they're good practice to see how i'm feeling running back-to-back but not SUPER necessary.

Otherwise I think just taking it easy after the 10K on Saturday and not eating anything weird (i.e. stuff she's eaten before that hasn't made her sick - not a great weekend to try new stuff, in my opinion) that day would be good things to do. :confused3 The fact that you're local should help since she won't want to be hitting the parks all day like the rest of us! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter