• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2015 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread.

Guess I need to start running again....only run 8 miles thanks to a nice cold-flu-cold combo since Dopey.
I haven't gotten sick (though I keep thinking I am) but I have been finding it pretty hard to stay motivated since Dopey...post-marathon blues + post-Disney depression is quite the combination! :sad: Signing up for Dumbo definitely helps though. :)

Starting to think about hotel options (off-site). Wondering if anyone knows how they will be funneling people through to get to their corrals? Will we be allowed to get to the start line through the actual race course or will they make us go through the area between Disneyland and California Adventure? Was looking at hotels on W. Katella Ave. but will be disappointed if they make me walk nearly a mile to get to the front entrances of both parks.

Any advice from Disneyland half marathon vets would be so awesome! I've never been to Disneyland so trying to figure this all out.

TIA!

Starting to think about hotel options (off-site). Wondering if anyone knows how they will be funneling people through to get to their corrals? Will we be allowed to get to the start line through the actual race course or will they make us go through the area between Disneyland and California Adventure? Was looking at hotels on W. Katella Ave. but will be disappointed if they make me walk nearly a mile to get to the front entrances of both parks.

Any advice from Disneyland half marathon vets would be so awesome! I've never been to Disneyland so trying to figure this all out.

TIA!

I don't think you'd be allowed to actually cross the start line area to get to your corral, but all those roads are still open to pedestrians to get through to the corrals. If you were looking at taking S West/Disneyland Drive, I imagine the worst case would be they make you go turn off just opposite the GCH and go through the DLH (not sure about Downtown Drive as that's where the finish line is). I don't imagine there would be anything out of the ordinary about any other roads.

FWIW depending on exactly where you are on W Katella, I think it could be one of the most convenient locations for a RunDisney event.

TIA!

If you stay at the hotels on W. Katella you will have to walk across the esplanade (aka main entrance to Disneyland) through downtown Disney to the start line (about .7 of a mile). Here is a link to a post I made after last year's Disneyland half marathon. It might help.

So, I've been doing most of my training so far using RunKeeper - but I think it's time to take everything to a new level, especially as I start to work on intervals. For those of y'all that are experienced with this kind of thing ... what do you use? A GPS watch? Is there a kind you would recommend?

Right now, I run until the .25 mile announcement via RunKeeper (distance, time, average mile - it takes, oh, 10 seconds maybe) and walk through that, plus a countdown from 5 and start running again. Right now, that breaks down to about 11 minutes running/1 minute walking each mile.

I know I can change RunKeeper to give me interval alerts at time instead of distance, but I like the the distance/time/pace announcements too.

I've got another 10K planned for the 28th, so I'm hoping to try out out new intervals during that race - I'm doing four training runs a week right now, with one long run each week to condition out for the distance (I've got to do 8 miles this weekend and then 9 the following before I "taper" down for the 10K).

My 10K goal for proof of time is 1:11, which I think is doable between now and June 2. I finished the RnR NOLA 10K in 1:21, so there's definitely room for improvement. I just want to put in all the work now, so I can get myself as close to the front as I can giving me tons of time to goof off and enjoy the rD races as my rewards for all my hard work and training. I'm just hoping that intervals will help me shave some minutes and get more consistent with my pacing.

Gah! Maybe I'll just win PowerBall tonight and I can hire Jeff Galloway to come out, live with me and personally train me for this every day. ;)

I haven't gotten sick (though I keep thinking I am) but I have been finding it pretty hard to stay motivated since Dopey...post-marathon blues + post-Disney depression is quite the combination! :sad: Signing up for Dumbo definitely helps though. :)

Yep! My running has been pretty lame since Dopey. Hard to get motivated again. Dumbo will help! ;)

So, I've been doing most of my training so far using RunKeeper - but I think it's time to take everything to a new level, especially as I start to work on intervals. For those of y'all that are experienced with this kind of thing ... what do you use? A GPS watch? Is there a kind you would recommend?

Right now, I run until the .25 mile announcement via RunKeeper (distance, time, average mile - it takes, oh, 10 seconds maybe) and walk through that, plus a countdown from 5 and start running again. Right now, that breaks down to about 11 minutes running/1 minute walking each mile.

I know I can change RunKeeper to give me interval alerts at time instead of distance, but I like the the distance/time/pace announcements too.

I've got another 10K planned for the 28th, so I'm hoping to try out out new intervals during that race - I'm doing four training runs a week right now, with one long run each week to condition out for the distance (I've got to do 8 miles this weekend and then 9 the following before I "taper" down for the 10K).

My 10K goal for proof of time is 1:11, which I think is doable between now and June 2. I finished the RnR NOLA 10K in 1:21, so there's definitely room for improvement. I just want to put in all the work now, so I can get myself as close to the front as I can giving me tons of time to goof off and enjoy the rD races as my rewards for all my hard work and training. I'm just hoping that intervals will help me shave some minutes and get more consistent with my pacing.

Gah! Maybe I'll just win PowerBall tonight and I can hire Jeff Galloway to come out, live with me and personally train me for this every day. ;)

I use a Garmin, but that's mainly to track my runs. For intervals, I use a GymBoss. I like the vibrate function because sometimes I used to not hear my Garmin beeping and miss intervals. I usually do an out and back track, so I just set one interval on that so that it beeps when it's time to turn around. The only other things I never go running without are my Fitbit (don't want to miss out on those steps!) and my RoadID (I don't take a phone or wallet etc with me, so it just has my emergency contacts on it).

FWIW, I need to shave about 10 minutes off my current 10k time to meet my goal too! We have a very similar strategy.

I use a Garmin, but that's mainly to track my runs. For intervals, I use a GymBoss. I like the vibrate function because sometimes I used to not hear my Garmin beeping and miss intervals. I usually do an out and back track, so I just set one interval on that so that it beeps when it's time to turn around. The only other things I never go running without are my Fitbit (don't want to miss out on those steps!) and my RoadID (I don't take a phone or wallet etc with me, so it just has my emergency contacts on it).

FWIW, I need to shave about 10 minutes off my current 10k time to meet my goal too! We have a very similar strategy.

See? I knew I liked you for a reason! #GoalBuddies :D

I go down to the trail by the river and run out and back - I probably need to mix up my runs, because I know where the .25 marks are for me, as I just start walking and a half-second later, the alert sounds in my ear.

I love my FitBit - especially the silent alarm!

I'm going to order a RoadID. My husband usually runs these races with me, so that scratches him off the list of emergency contacts. And my parents split time between here and Florida, so I like that I can have multiple numbers easily accessible.

The Half Marathon is now sold out on runDisney.com! Good luck to all those who have registered for any of the races!

Garmin Forerunner 220 for me. Love it!! :) The Forerunner 15 is supposed to be good too.
Yep! My running has been pretty lame since Dopey. Hard to get motivated again. Dumbo will help! ;)
Yes it will!! I'd like to move up a corral or two...you'd think that would be motivating enough. Maybe when it starts to get warmer!!

So you are saying that I wouldn't be able to walk back up Disneyland Drive towards the start line? I would have to walk to South Harbor to take the regular entrance?

On regular (non race days) isn't there a back entrance to California Adventure for us to enter the parks (with park hopper of course to enter Disneyland)?

So you are saying that I wouldn't be able to walk back up Disneyland Drive towards the start line? I would have to walk to South Harbor to take the regular entrance?

On regular (non race days) isn't there a back entrance to California Adventure for us to enter the parks (with park hopper of course to enter Disneyland)?

There is an entrance to DCA through the Grand Californian.

HI All! I managed to get in for DDD and this will also be my Coast to Coast! My heart was pounding too! I do have a room at Paradise Pier and will be solo 3-5. I would be willing for a room mate to share cost if anyone is interested, all or part of time even. I promise Im not an ax-murderer........

I use my iPhone aps (Gipis or Outsider) for most of my runs. I have a Timex GPS watch but I don't use it as much because I forget which buttons to push. The phone is great for music and gps.

Sounds like you have a great plan and properly motivated, an attainable goal. Now just make it happen. I also look forward to the goofing off part.

Love the idea of having JG be a personal trainer. Can you imagine?

(did you win?)

Seems I am not the only one! We must get on it if DDD is gonna happen!

Seems I am not the only one! We must get on it if DDD is gonna happen!
I'm slowly getting back into it...I'm up to 4 days a week going about 12-13 miles. Just not really enthused about it right now!! :rotfl: Mostly because of the weather, I think...I hope.

I would think you'd be allowed to take Disneyland Drive as far as the Disneyland Hotel. Then they would probably direct you through the hotel so that you are not interfering with the actual starting line. I can't see why you would need to go to Harbor. Even if you can't take Disneyland Drive, depending on where you are on Katella, it would probably be quicker to take Walnut.

What can you guys tell me about finding out if a race can be used for Proof of Time? Besides other Disney races. How do you find out if it's a certified course or not?

Also, I thought I had read something a while back about the timing that Disney uses being slower than other races or something like that? Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or am I crazy. :)

I would think you'd be allowed to take Disneyland Drive as far as the Disneyland Hotel. Then they would probably direct you through the hotel so that you are not interfering with the actual starting line. I can't see why you would need to go to Harbor. Even if you can't take Disneyland Drive, depending on where you are on Katella, it would probably be quicker to take Walnut.

I think you're right, unless they changed it last year. In the past, I'd just walk up DL Dr to the in-road/stoplight b/w Paradise Pier and the DL Hotel to the service road we run down into the staging area and out to the start line.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter