Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

Glad to hear!! I've been nursing an injury, behind on my training and my longest run was a half marathon. I was thinking of joining a pace group at a slower time than I normally run at thinking I will have the company of a group with some positive energy. When I did my half I averaged a 11:30 min pace, in my mind if I join a 13 min pace group I will not lose energy or possibly risk more injury and just finish, no PR here. Thoughts? am I out of my mind??

To the point of GBBT's post, I'm assuming CheapRunnerMike is following the Hanson's plan. It's an effective plan, but those 16 mile long runs have to be viewed in the context of overall training. There's a lot of hard efforts in there, and those who follow the plan are almost always running on tired legs. Simply topping out at 16 miles outside the context of a plan like that is a recipe for a blowup, IMO, because you don't get the proper endurance stimulus. Even with that 16 miler, I'd wager that CheapRunnerMike is putting in quite a few more miles than you'd expect.

That said, 20 is plenty. I usually throw in one 22 miler, but that's with an extended MP segment so I'm not spending too much time on my feet. If you're out there too long, the need for recovery and risk of injury begin to outweigh the benefits.

That said ... Red Sox, if you're racing a half at 11:30, then simply running at 13:00 should feel comfortable because you should be doing most of your easy runs around that pace anyway. If you're running your easy runs at 11:30, that might be a different story (I can't tell from your post if you ran a half, raced a half, or simply did a 13.1 mile training run).

Are you using Hanson's method? What'd you think of that plan? Was your goal to drop time? I'm really curious. I've started working with a coach to try and BQ and it looks like the plan I'm going through is similar to Hanson's but using cross training instead of the 2 shorter easy runs each week.

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I AM on the Hanson Advanced plan, so I'll answer.

It's 6 days a week, but the long runs cap at 16. Even with the shorter long run, it's a huge commitment of time. After having done this program, I can say I never really trained for a marathon before (used the Furman 3 day a week plan previously). Even though I've been running for 15 years, my legs got BIGGER (in a good way) during this training. I've also noticed running more frequently has made some of my aches and pains a little less achy. I'm on week 17, targeting Rocket City in a couple of weeks. I am not in the BQ range, but I am hoping for a 30 minute PR.

I won't know for sure for a couple of more weeks, but I give the Hanson plan a thumbs up, IF you can make the time commitment.

Are you using Hanson's method? What'd you think of that plan? Was your goal to drop time? I'm really curious. I've started working with a coach to try and BQ and it looks like the plan I'm going through is similar to Hanson's but using cross training instead of the 2 shorter easy runs each week.
Yes, I'm doing Hanson's advance plan. I am enjoying it, but it is a LOT of running. My goal is to drop time and I have definitely been getting faster, so I guess it's working. I did 16 miles yesterday on legs that were just trashed and it felt just like the last 10 miles of a marathon (which is the whole point of the plan), but I was able to power through and get it done at marathon goal pace.
That's what I mean about quality of your miles...you're better off putting in lots of good, hard runs with shorter long runs than a bunch of short easy runs with a 20-miler thrown in. That can be a recipe for injury, the last thing anyone wants!
Good luck with your training and chasing that BQ IamTrike...what time do you need to get?

To the point of GBBT's post, I'm assuming CheapRunnerMike is following the Hanson's plan. It's an effective plan, but those 16 mile long runs have to be viewed in the context of overall training. There's a lot of hard efforts in there, and those who follow the plan are almost always running on tired legs. Simply topping out at 16 miles outside the context of a plan like that is a recipe for a blowup, IMO, because you don't get the proper endurance stimulus. Even with that 16 miler, I'd wager that CheapRunnerMike is putting in quite a few more miles than you'd expect.
Absolutely Pleglech...it is all within the context of the plan. You need to have that base built up or it will be a long 26.2. Hanson's has me logging 50+ miles most weeks, and they are almost all hard miles.

That said ... Red Sox, if you're racing a half at 11:30, then simply running at 13:00 should feel comfortable because you should be doing most of your easy runs around that pace anyway. If you're running your easy runs at 11:30, that might be a different story (I can't tell from your post if you ran a half, raced a half, or simply did a 13.1 mile training run).

When I did my half I ran the majority however I did walk some. I trained with the Galloway method and at a 11 min pace.

Here in NH the roads are sloped quite a bit for snow and water run off. I trained on the left side of the roads running against traffic, when I ran the half in Manchester the race was on the right side of the road running with traffic, I felt like my right knee was going to pop out due to not training on that side of the road so I walked more the last 2-3 miles. I try now to change sides of the road when safety isn't an issue. Good thing Disney is flat!!

Of course the ankle I sprained with some tendon damage is my right. Thank goodness I avoided surgery. I have been working with my orthopedist and physical therapist with strengthening it and they seems positive, also using my GPS watch I have been purposely slowing down my pace.

I was so excited to have this be my first marathon but also deflated due to injury. I am thankful for all the advice and feedback here on this board. I guess I just have to come to the realization I may be walking more for this.... I WILL finish, it just may not be pretty...;)

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I AM on the Hanson Advanced plan, so I'll answer. It's 6 days a week, but the long runs cap at 16. Even with the shorter long run, it's a huge commitment of time. After having done this program, I can say I never really trained for a marathon before (used the Furman 3 day a week plan previously). Even though I've been running for 15 years, my legs got BIGGER (in a good way) during this training. I've also noticed running more frequently has made some of my aches and pains a little less achy. I'm on week 17, targeting Rocket City in a couple of weeks. I am not in the BQ range, but I am hoping for a 30 minute PR. I won't know for sure for a couple of more weeks, but I give the Hanson plan a thumbs up, IF you can make the time commitment.
This Hanson plan talk is really interesting. OldSlowGoofyGuy (who sounds not slow at all!) what do you think of the Furman plan? I've always wanted to try one but then I'll read about people getting Injured or whatever and I chicken out.

This Hanson plan talk is really interesting. OldSlowGoofyGuy (who sounds not slow at all!) what do you think of the Furman plan? I've always wanted to try one but then I'll read about people getting Injured or whatever and I chicken out.

I tried Furman last year but ended up getting ITB syndrome half way through the plan. I think I would have been ok with it had I incorporated some warm ups and strength routines. Just doing all that hard running was tough on my body... But I did get faster before the injury.

As much as I wanted to like it (I'm a Furman grad!), the Furman or FIRST (Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training) plan didn't seem to work for me.

Like most runners, I skipped most of the cross training, so that didn't help. The biggest problem is that the long run distances are way out of wack compared to the total weekly mileage. Your muscles and connecting tissue just don't have the strength they need to withstand the long run and you end up injured.

Maybe for an advanced runner with a base of 30-50 miles a week, the Furman plan could be just what they needed. If you're a lower-mileage runner, I don't think the Furman/FIRST plan is for you.

After 2 years of FIRST Run-Less-Run-Faster, now I'm trying Hanson's Marathon Method. It's a big time commitment, but I can see and feel changes I didn't see before.

All this is conjecture. I'll know for sure in 11 days after Rocket City.

And trust me: OldSlowGoofy Guy is all three!

Mike and OldSlowGoofy - best of luck to you both. I've seen some people do really well on Hansons.

Red Sox - If you're okay going out there and taking your time from the very beginning, I think you'll be fine. I've run fast(ish) marathons and slow ones. They always hurt.

Regarding FIRST ... I'm not a big fan. I have seen some people do well on it (I know a guy who has run multiple sub-3:00 marathons off a similar plan). But results like that usually are reserved for gifted athletes who cross-train HARD. It also can be suitable for folks who would have trouble with recovery from higher-mileage routines.
Here's the issue: For all but a small number of folks, endurance is the limiting factor in marathon performance. You get more endurance by running more. Quite simply, mileage is king.

I tried Furman last year but ended up getting ITB syndrome half way through the plan. I think I would have been ok with it had I incorporated some warm ups and strength routines. Just doing all that hard running was tough on my body... But I did get faster before the injury.

As much as I wanted to like it (I'm a Furman grad!), the Furman or FIRST (Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training) plan didn't seem to work for me.

Like most runners, I skipped most of the cross training, so that didn't help. The biggest problem is that the long run distances are way out of wack compared to the total weekly mileage. Your muscles and connecting tissue just don't have the strength they need to withstand the long run and you end up injured.

Maybe for an advanced runner with a base of 30-50 miles a week, the Furman plan could be just what they needed. If you're a lower-mileage runner, I don't think the Furman/FIRST plan is for you.

After 2 years of FIRST Run-Less-Run-Faster, now I'm trying Hanson's Marathon Method. It's a big time commitment, but I can see and feel changes I didn't see before.

All this is conjecture. I'll know for sure in 11 days after Rocket City.

And trust me: OldSlowGoofy Guy is all three!

Mike and OldSlowGoofy - best of luck to you both. I've seen some people do really well on Hansons.

Red Sox - If you're okay going out there and taking your time from the very beginning, I think you'll be fine. I've run fast(ish) marathons and slow ones. They always hurt.

Regarding FIRST ... I'm not a big fan. I have seen some people do well on it (I know a guy who has run multiple sub-3:00 marathons off a similar plan). But results like that usually are reserved for gifted athletes who cross-train HARD. It also can be suitable for folks who would have trouble with recovery from higher-mileage routines.
Here's the issue: For all but a small number of folks, endurance is the limiting factor in marathon performance. You get more endurance by running more. Quite simply, mileage is king.
Thanks for the input, everyone. I really like strength training and yoga, so I think the FIRST plan appeals to me because I would have more time to do those other thing. But I just hear too much weird stuff about it to actually commit to it. :confused3

OldSlowGoofyGuy - I see what you mean about the crazy long run distances. That's something I have never liked about Galloway plans (I use Higdon plans) but didn't look closely enough at FIRST to see that it's similar. :( I looked at the Hanson plan - it's definitely intriguing but I'm afraid to run that much. :rotfl2:

Pleglech - I agree with you about more mileage being the best way to improve. Maybe at some point I'll pick a goal race and try a Hanson-like plan to get there, but like I said above, the thought of running that much freaks me out a bit! :faint:

I know the question wasn't directed at me, but I AM on the Hanson Advanced plan, so I'll answer.

It's 6 days a week, but the long runs cap at 16. Even with the shorter long run, it's a huge commitment of time. After having done this program, I can say I never really trained for a marathon before (used the Furman 3 day a week plan previously). Even though I've been running for 15 years, my legs got BIGGER (in a good way) during this training. I've also noticed running more frequently has made some of my aches and pains a little less achy. I'm on week 17, targeting Rocket City in a couple of weeks. I am not in the BQ range, but I am hoping for a 30 minute PR.

I won't know for sure for a couple of more weeks, but I give the Hanson plan a thumbs up, IF you can make the time commitment.
I have a friend that just went through the half plan. It helped him achieve a half PR of about 5 minutes. I think it definitely works but it seems like a huge time commitment. I working with a coach and there is definitely an emphasis on quality miles. For example today I'll probably only do 3 or 4 miles, but 2 of those miles will be .5 mile repeats at a 6:30 Minute mile pace.

Good luck on your PR. 30 minutes is a big drop so that's quite an achievement.

Yes, I'm doing Hanson's advance plan. I am enjoying it, but it is a LOT of running. My goal is to drop time and I have definitely been getting faster, so I guess it's working. I did 16 miles yesterday on legs that were just trashed and it felt just like the last 10 miles of a marathon (which is the whole point of the plan), but I was able to power through and get it done at marathon goal pace.
That's what I mean about quality of your miles...you're better off putting in lots of good, hard runs with shorter long runs than a bunch of short easy runs with a 20-miler thrown in. That can be a recipe for injury, the last thing anyone wants!
Good luck with your training and chasing that BQ IamTrike...what time do you need to get?
Do you have a set time to run everyday? Are you putting your milage in on a track or someplace flat?

Based on past years I think I need to run about a 3:12 to qualify. That's a 30+ minute PR for me, which is daunting. My goal is to try and run a couple flat and fast marathons during 2015 and drop my PR about 10 minutes at a time.

Do you have a set time to run everyday? Are you putting your milage in on a track or someplace flat?

Based on past years I think I need to run about a 3:12 to qualify. That's a 30+ minute PR for me, which is daunting. My goal is to try and run a couple flat and fast marathons during 2015 and drop my PR about 10 minutes at a time.
I'm lucky enough that I can get out and run every day on my lunch break...lots of beautiful park paths around my office. The weather is getting a bit cold and snowy here in Canada though, but not so bad I can't still get out. The paths I run on are rolling, anywhere from 200-400 feet worth of climbing depending on where I go. The only really flat runs I have done are a couple of strength workouts on the treadmill. Disney is pancake flat though, other than the on-ramps of course.

3:12 is doable if you keep working hard and putting in the miles...sounds like you're on the right track with your coach and setting some good milestones along the way. Good luck!

I'm lucky enough that I can get out and run every day on my lunch break...lots of beautiful park paths around my office. The weather is getting a bit cold and snowy here in Canada though, but not so bad I can't still get out. The paths I run on are rolling, anywhere from 200-400 feet worth of climbing depending on where I go. The only really flat runs I have done are a couple of strength workouts on the treadmill. Disney is pancake flat though, other than the on-ramps of course.

3:12 is doable if you keep working hard and putting in the miles...sounds like you're on the right track with your coach and setting some good milestones along the way. Good luck!

I work just outside of a several hundred acre park, that's filled with streams and backpacking and bridle trails. I run there a lot during lunch, but while it's picturesque it's not good at all for interval or speed workouts.

I have a friend that just went through the half plan. It helped him achieve a half PR of about 5 minutes. I think it definitely works but it seems like a huge time commitment. I working with a coach and there is definitely an emphasis on quality miles. For example today I'll probably only do 3 or 4 miles, but 2 of those miles will be .5 mile repeats at a 6:30 Minute mile pace.

Good luck on your PR. 30 minutes is a big drop so that's quite an achievement.

:worship::worship: You guys are incredible! I am just hoping to break the 6 hour mark this time around! :rotfl2:

I am just hoping to break the 6 hour mark this time around! :rotfl2:

I think this is what I like about running in general, but Disney races in particular. It winds up being a great communal celebration of individual triumps. Really at the end of the day each race is our own battle be it 5K or Dopey. We get to come together and encourage each other as we stumble and congratulate each other when we finish.

:worship::worship: You guys are incredible! I am just hoping to break the 6 hour mark this time around! :rotfl2:
Haha thanks...I'm guessing you will have WAY more fun than us!

I was very hesitant in actually "racing" a Disney run, but the timing was perfect for me and it was an excuse (like I needed one) for a Disney trip. It will actually be the first time it's just my wife and I down there on our own!

Enjoy the race Rainbow Skittles :thumbsup2

I think this is what I like about running in general, but Disney races in particular. It winds up being a great communal celebration of individual triumps. Really at the end of the day each race is our own battle be it 5K or Dopey. We get to come together and encourage each other as we stumble and congratulate each other when we finish.
Very well said. :thumbsup2

My goal is just to make out of Dopey alive, and with lots of pictures. :)

Further to that, I think people that forget the individualistic nature of the sport kind of come off like meanies or pompous blowhards. I remember reading this story in runners world.

A lady sits down on a plane and notices the guy next to her is wearing Brooks Adrenalines. She starts up a conversation with him about running and eventually he asks "so do you run Marathons?" After she responds "once, I mostly race 5k's" he becomes less impressed and reply's "Well Keep at it, you'll get there eventually." He was talking with Laura Fleshman the US 5K champion so I'm pretty sure she already got there...

Haha thanks...I'm guessing you will have WAY more fun than us!

I was very hesitant in actually "racing" a Disney run, but the timing was perfect for me and it was an excuse (like I needed one) for a Disney trip. It will actually be the first time it's just my wife and I down there on our own!

Enjoy the race Rainbow Skittles :thumbsup2

Hey my wife are in the same boat. This will be our 4th Marathon weekend in a row, but in the past we've always gone with a group of friends. Since it's just us I've set up a couple "dates" for us throughout the weekend.

I'm actually hoping to PR during the Marathon, but I am shooting for a slower time than what I'm training for.

Very well said. :thumbsup2

My goal is just to make out of Dopey alive, and with lots of pictures. :)

At character stops, do runners have to supply their own cameras? If not, are the photos taken included in MarathonPhoto packages? Disney's photo products? Other?

Latest posts

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter