Official 2015 Disney Marathon Thread

Got a 20-21-miler tomorrow. Planned it for Thanksgiving morning but due to weather, I am pushing it up one day. I will say I'm a little nervous as the previous 20-miler irritated my right foot dorsi flexors and caused me a week and half or no running.

Should this be repeated, this will probably be my last run of this length until the full. I will plan sever 10 - 15 mile runs for December should that be the case. However I've seen a few areas that could have been improved and will try out some new stuff on this run.

Becoming excited for the full as its coming!

Glad to see another person from New Hampshire getting ready for the marathon. This storm coming stinks....my kids are bummed that we may not do our annual 5k on Thanksgiving. The 10 year old thinks it will be so much fun to run in snow. Me...not so much.:sad2:

Glad to see another person from New Hampshire getting ready for the marathon. This storm coming stinks....my kids are bummed that we may not do our annual 5k on Thanksgiving. The 10 year old thinks it will be so much fun to run in snow. Me...not so much.:sad2:

Ready and excited! But yeah this storm stinks. Fortunately I got a 23-miler in just in time. However I don't know what to do about december's long run, which is why I did a slightly longer run today because it might be my last before the full. If I cannot get another 20+ miler in December, I may have to do a few 10+ milers on a treadmill! but I refuse to do a 20 miler on a treadmill. At least not at this point.

How's your training going? What 5k does your family do on Thanksgiving?

Ready and excited! But yeah this storm stinks. Fortunately I got a 23-miler in just in time. However I don't know what to do about december's long run, which is why I did a slightly longer run today because it might be my last before the full. If I cannot get another 20+ miler in December, I may have to do a few 10+ milers on a treadmill! but I refuse to do a 20 miler on a treadmill. At least not at this point.

How's your training going? What 5k does your family do on Thanksgiving?

We do the NH Fisher Cats 5K in Manchester, kids love that they finish inside the baseball stadium.

Unfortunately I am behind in my training. I sprained my ankle and had some tendon damage stepping off my porch..:sad: and then had to have a minor surgery on my leg last week. I am hoping to just finish the marathon at this point. I did do the Manchester City half marathon and finished (slow) at 2:49 and at this point that is the farthest I have run:guilty:

Happy for you for your training! I will cheer you on as you run past me walking...lol

We do the NH Fisher Cats 5K in Manchester, kids love that they finish inside the baseball stadium.

Unfortunately I am behind in my training. I sprained my ankle and had some tendon damage stepping off my porch..:sad: and then had to have a minor surgery on my leg last week. I am hoping to just finish the marathon at this point. I did do the Manchester City half marathon and finished (slow) at 2:49 and at this point that is the farthest I have run:guilty:

Happy for you for your training! I will cheer you on as you run past me walking...lol

Ouch, tough break on your ankle. I hope for a speedy recovery.

The Fisher Cat 5k is an awesome race. While I haven't done it a lot of runners I know in the southern part of the state love running it. Plus Millennium Running always puts on top notch races!

Will somebody tell me (again) that 20 miles in training is enough to finish the marathon? So many training plans have this as the top long run, and mine does as well. I am not looking to set any land-speed records, just to finish. I would, though, like to enjoy it at least a little and have it not be a death march. My longest so far is 17, with 18 tomorrow. So far my long runs have been very, very, very hard. I have finished, but it was not what I would call a "pleasant" experience.

Reassurance??

I've never reached 20 miles before running a marathon,I'll go 17-18 miles and that's it.I have a half marathon next Sunday (12/9) and will then go on the 18 mile run a week or so after and that's it for long runs.I'm doing Goofy for the first time and although I've done more long races this year in the months before Marathon weekend(ToT and 3 half marathons) I haven't really done any or plan any back to back runs or any longer than 13 mile runs until I go for 18 in 2 weeks.I'm not overly concerned as my main goal is to get a personal worst for the Disney half and make it to marathon day in the best condition possible.I know my body,I know I can handle only doing the full well and doing the Goofy or Dopey will not be a yearly thing and I want this years experience to be positive,basically walk away after finishing the full without pain or injury and glowing as I stare at my Goofy medal.

20 is all most people need from a physical perspective. That's enough time on your feet to get your fueling, hydration, and pacing down. Some people like to run 24 or 26 to get the mental comfort of knowing they can handle the distance, but as long as you've followed your training plan you'll be fine. One key to a successful marathon is trusting in your training. It makes your taper period much easier too.

I maxed out at 18 for the marathon in 2012 and 20 for Goofy in 2013 and finished both times. Planning on maxing out at 20 for Dopey this year.

You'll be good! :) Trust your training plan!

If you can do 20 you should be fine doing 26 in my opinion. For long runs I did 18 last Friday, and then 13 yesterday with 9 today (22 over 2 days I know isn't the same as 1 day, but in my head it works). I'm not sure I'll do a 20 or not as I know I can run 26 as I've done a marathon and for that one I'm pretty sure I only did at most 16 beforehand.

I appreciate the reassurance about the 20 miles. I did the Disney marathon with 20 miles five years ago, but I still get nervous about it. I will trust the plan! Thanks, everybody, and happy Thanksgiving.

If it makes you feel better, I am on an aggressive plan that will have me shooting for a low 3-hour time and it maxes out at 16 miles. It's about the quality of the miles, not just the quantity. Running a 20-miler (or more) in training is mostly about mental preparedness and reassurance...you can certainly run a marathon without one!

I may have missed this discussion earlier in the thread - but any ideas when the courses for this year will be confirmed/posted?

It looks like the courses posted still say "2014."

I may have missed this discussion earlier in the thread - but any ideas when the courses for this year will be confirmed/posted?

It looks like the courses posted still say "2014."
You're right that they have not been "officially" confirmed. I would guess that they will be the same as last year. :confused3

I may have missed this discussion earlier in the thread - but any ideas when the courses for this year will be confirmed/posted? It looks like the courses posted still say "2014."

I would guess in a couple weeks.
Or a day or so after your post. Seems like the thread about EE went up and two days later rundisney did exactly what the thread wanted to be done. :)

If it makes you feel better, I am on an aggressive plan that will have me shooting for a low 3-hour time and it maxes out at 16 miles. It's about the quality of the miles, not just the quantity. Running a 20-miler (or more) in training is mostly about mental preparedness and reassurance...you can certainly run a marathon without one!

Glad to hear!! I've been nursing an injury, behind on my training and my longest run was a half marathon. I was thinking of joining a pace group at a slower time than I normally run at thinking I will have the company of a group with some positive energy. When I did my half I averaged a 11:30 min pace, in my mind if I join a 13 min pace group I will not lose energy or possibly risk more injury and just finish, no PR here. Thoughts? am I out of my mind??

Glad to hear!! I've been nursing an injury, behind on my training and my longest run was a half marathon. I was thinking of joining a pace group at a slower time than I normally run at thinking I will have the company of a group with some positive energy. When I did my half I averaged a 11:30 min pace, in my mind if I join a 13 min pace group I will not lose energy or possibly risk more injury and just finish, no PR here. Thoughts? am I out of my mind??
One thing to keep in mind is slowing down your pace that much MAY change your gait, and may not agree with you...

For Wine & Dine this year I was assigned to Corral E and dropped back to I to run with a friend. I would say we were both corralled properly. Somewhere in the 5th mile or so I had to break away from her because running at that pace was actually making my feet hurt a LOT (I felt like a jerk for doing it but she was totally cool with it). Once I left and settled into my more natural pace I felt a LOT better.

Just something to keep in mind...:confused3 Good luck with your training and recovery. :)

I would guess in a couple weeks. Or a day or so after your post. Seems like the thread about EE went up and two days later rundisney did exactly what the thread wanted to be done. :)

Good point - let's hope it works this time ;)

One thing to keep in mind is slowing down your pace that much MAY change your gait, and may not agree with you...
Very good advice. If you're going to run much slower than normal, you should get in some training at that pace well before race day.

Are you using Hanson's method? What'd you think of that plan? Was your goal to drop time? I'm really curious. I've started working with a coach to try and BQ and it looks like the plan I'm going through is similar to Hanson's but using cross training instead of the 2 shorter easy runs each week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter