Official 2011 Princess Half Thread Part II!!!

I drove so didn't check.

If you aren't driving, I recommend:

1) A clean tshirt.
2) Pair of socks and/or different shoes
3) Sweatshirt if it's cold
4) Recovery drink (Muscle Milk or Gatorade 03 both don't need the fridge)
5) If you are planning on going straight into Epcot after the race, anything you would want/need in the park.

I carry at minimum my room/car keys and my insurance card in my spi belt along with my cell phone.

I put extra clothes to change into after the race in mine, but nothing else that I really had to have. I ran the wine and dine half, so there was a post race party. I'm not sure i'll check a bag if i'm just going straight back to the hotel anyway. The line at the wine and dine half to pick up bags was ridiculous!

And, after months and months of training, I finally had my mental breakthrough this weekend during my 8 miler. Up until now, I spent part of my runs wondering if I can actually do this...this weekend I finally felt like I know I can! My trainer, BF and an uncle of mine that runs have been telling me all along that running is just as much mental as it is physical, and I heard them, but don't think I really understood...I totally get it now...it might have took me a while, but, what can I say? :laughing: Have the clouds parted for anyone else recently...or did you all already have that figured out before you started this? :)
I did this weekend! Even though I ran last year I've been having doubts; but after doing a 10k on Sat without my inhaler and still finishing I'm feling a lot better :)

I have to a agree with the feet.

After my 8 mile long run last week, my feet hurt so bad, I could not wait to get my shoe's off

I was just looking on line for Croc Flip Flops to put on when I DO!! :) Cross that finish line.

Anyone have any Croc Flip Flops? Is this a good Idea to change my shoes?
Thanks

I changed into flip flops last year; not crocs though. I have fit foam, it was definalty a good decision.

OK this is a stupid ? maybe.....when you check stuff before the race, what exactly are people checking? I ran 2 1/2 marathons many years ago and just showed up and had on me what I needed. Didn't check anything....

Yeah I know I am overthinking, but now curious....and if I can avoid a long line to something, so be it.

Oh and go ahead and make fun of me. :lmao:

I checked my jacket, flip flops, cell phone, and some cash (from mom incase I couldn't find her after the race; I'm not sure what I was suposed to do with it).
I carried my inhaler, room key, camera and ID with me.

I have to say, I really admire everyone wearing a costume for the race. All the pictures I've seen of people in costume look super cute, but I would be so paranoid running in something like that if I hadn't trained in it. I think I'll have to stick with my princess running skirt and tiara bondiband.

I ordered a tutu yesterday and am taking this time before it arrives to work up some courage to maybe run around my neighborhood in it for a while to get the feel...should be a sight to see :) Also, I think the trick to wearing some sort of costume is to have a back up plan...I'm wearing the tutu over the running tights I always wear and have firmly decided that I will not fret or think twice about taking it off and tossing it if it's giving me fits a few miles in!

Also, I think the trick to wearing some sort of costume is to have a back up plan...I'm wearing the tutu over the running tights I always wear and have firmly decided that I will not fret or think twice about taking it off and tossing it if it's giving me fits a few miles in!

I agree with this 100%. A few days before my first half I freaked out and decided I NEEDED to have a hydration belt (I totally didn't) so I went out and bought one. I ran a short 3-miler with it and deemed it good to go...but on race day I wanted to pitch that thing! It bounced and chafed my back and was just awful, however I couldn't chuck it because: A) I had spent something like $45 on the darned thing and could at least use it for hiking or something, but more importantly B) I had my cell phone and car keys in the pouch on it with no real alternative on where to put them mid-race. A good back up plan would have saved me and I would have ditched the thing altogether (if I would have been able to stomach throwing away the $ like that!)

I have a question for those of you who run on a treadmill. Yesterday, my DH and I bought a new NordicTrack. However, before we took it home, I didn't think to ask whether or not it will track my pace while running. And unfortunately, I found out this morning that the model we bought will not. The person that my DH spoke to said that the only ones that offer that feature are $1,000+, and that is totally out of our budget. (The one we bought was on sale for $599). The treadmills that I'm use to running on at our gym does tell you your pace, so I just assumed that all treadmills would come with it. So, my question is this--is there anyone else out there who runs on one that does not tell you your pace, and if so, how do you keep up with it to make sure that you're training where you want to be?

I'm used to that too but I find sometimes even the ones with the pace are off when you run in intervals (I do the run/walk method too). What I would do is usually look at the distance covered and the time (I'll go a few seconds longer to get an exact distance of say 7.12 miles to be accurate) and then I use dailymile.com. It's kind of like a twitter for workouts (which you can keep private :goodvibes) and when you enter in the distance and time it'll pop up an overall pace down to the second (ie. 11:52 min/mile). I find that much more accurate than the paces the treadmills give me anyway since ferquently it'll only give me the intended pace at the different speeds and not factor in the speed changes for an overall pace.

Hope this helps!

I ordered a tutu yesterday and am taking this time before it arrives to work up some courage to maybe run around my neighborhood in it for a while to get the feel...should be a sight to see :) Also, I think the trick to wearing some sort of costume is to have a back up plan...I'm wearing the tutu over the running tights I always wear and have firmly decided that I will not fret or think twice about taking it off and tossing it if it's giving me fits a few miles in!

Go at night or super early - around the time the race starts and no one will see you and you will be in nearly the same conditions. That way, you know how it works in the beginning. That is what got so many runners - within the first mile there were so many tutus, tiaras, and costumes by the side of the road. Now, maybe some runners planned that, but I really doubt it. If people could handle it past the beginning it appears that they wore their costumes, etc. the entire way. Sewing a costume over some running gear seemed to be the secret for a few that were by me. I learned so much waiting in the corral!

I'm used to that too but I find sometimes even the ones with the pace are off when you run in intervals (I do the run/walk method too). What I would do is usually look at the distance covered and the time (I'll go a few seconds longer to get an exact distance of say 7.12 miles to be accurate) and then I use dailymile.com. It's kind of like a twitter for workouts (which you can keep private :goodvibes) and when you enter in the distance and time it'll pop up an overall pace down to the second (ie. 11:52 min/mile). I find that much more accurate than the paces the treadmills give me anyway since ferquently it'll only give me the intended pace at the different speeds and not factor in the speed changes for an overall pace.

Hope this helps!

That is super duper helpful! Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I certainly appreciate it!:)

That is super duper helpful! Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I certainly appreciate it!:)

Anytime. You can friend people on there and encourage each other and there's a whole group just for the Princess Marathon so I found it really encouraging. I like reading back and seeing how I did (you can indicate with smilies how it felt and write a little blurb). If you join up and want a friend, just PM me. Glad I could help!

Go at night or super early - around the time the race starts and no one will see you and you will be in nearly the same conditions. That way, you know how it works in the beginning. That is what got so many runners - within the first mile there were so many tutus, tiaras, and costumes by the side of the road. Now, maybe some runners planned that, but I really doubt it. If people could handle it past the beginning it appears that they wore their costumes, etc. the entire way. Sewing a costume over some running gear seemed to be the secret for a few that were by me. I learned so much waiting in the corral!

I saw a bunch of wings also.

My 'costume' last year was a green skirt for Ariel's tail and a purple tank for her shells. This year I'm going to try and do a navy skirt, light blue shirt with a black tank over...I'm not sure if I will stick with the tiara or do a bow (my mom says I can't cut my hair until after the race, so I will get the whole effect!) Using running clothes is so much easier, you can train in them (seperatly) in public and no one will think twice :)

In other news...I have my plane tickets!!! Guess I have to go now :)

My knee hurt really bad during my run last night, so I went out and bought KT tape to expiment with. Hopefully it will help; we'll see tomorrow

I have to a agree with the feet.

After my 8 mile long run last week, my feet hurt so bad, I could not wait to get my shoe's off

I was just looking on line for Croc Flip Flops to put on when I DO!! :) Cross that finish line.

Anyone have any Croc Flip Flops? Is this a good Idea to change my shoes?
Thanks

I really like my regular Crocs and Mary Jane Crocs. I will alternate wearing those in the park with tennis shoes. I bought some Croc flip flops thinking I would love them and I don't. They are painful to wear. I have actually worn other flip flops in the parks and had no problems. I think I will take those to change into after the race.

I really like my regular Crocs and Mary Jane Crocs. I will alternate wearing those in the park with tennis shoes. I bought some Croc flip flops thinking I would love them and I don't. They are painful to wear. I have actually worn other flip flops in the parks and had no problems. I think I will take those to change into after the race.

Thanks for the info on the crocs. Maybe I just bring my flip flops I
Have instead of getting crocs. More money to spend at the expo

I'm planning on wearing a costume too! I bought a pair of wings and bounced/ran around the house with them and they aren't too annoying. This is what they look like. I'm also working on making a tutu. I bought the tulle (sparkly black tulle on top and green tulle under) and I think the key to making it the most comfortable is to make it short so it's not rubbing my legs as I run. I'm planning to wear a long sleeve tech shirt (black) and depending on the temp either shorts or capris under the tutu. Now I'm trying to figure out what to call my costume because it's going to end up looking like a punk tinkerbell lol. I'm still debating on wearing a tiara or making a headband with the tulle I have. I found a tiara at claire's that is attached to a comb and when I pushed the comb into my hair, it wasn't going anywhere! (and I have fine hair too, so super impressed). Of course, when I was at claire's, I saw this blonde braid that you can hook over a ponytail and was perfect for a rapunzel costume, but I'd already bought the wings and tulle :sad2:

And, I have actually been running, not just working on a costume :laughing:. I wanted to do 9 last weekend, but because of work, I could only fit in 6 on Friday, so I went out and did another 6 on Sunday. Now I'm debating doing 9 this weekend, or going for 10. I think I'll just have to wait and see how the weather goes.

Reading everyone else's progress on this thread has kept me so inspired! If I hadn't found this thread, I don't know that I would have been able to do this, so thank you all and I can't wait to see everyone Feb 27!

I would LOVE to dress up as Rapunzel (dont' even need a wig) but I've no idea how on earth I could make a costume that is run capable and pull it off. Any suggestions on I guess 'modified' costumes that really are just a comfortable outfit that I pass off as Rapunzel-esque clothing?

Hey ladies!

All your posts have been so inspiring! I started my trianing late due to an ankle injury that started way back before the Disneyland Half. But I'm back into it and with the inspiration from reading all your lovely posts and the backing from my physical therapist I cannot wait to really get my mileage back up. I'll be getting my 7 miler in this weekend hopefully!

I have always been a tomboy so I'm avoiding as much of a costume as possible (although the original deal with my parents was they would pay for my trip if I wore a costume of their choice). I think I'm going to go with a tiara and my friend who's coming down with me might be making some sort of princessy cape...

A question for all you Princess Half Marathon veterans. I am staying at the Boardwalk Villas and was wondering what the best way to get to the start will be.

Thank you and keep up all the great training ladies! :cheer2:

I would LOVE to dress up as Rapunzel (dont' even need a wig) but I've no idea how on earth I could make a costume that is run capable and pull it off. Any suggestions on I guess 'modified' costumes that really are just a comfortable outfit that I pass off as Rapunzel-esque clothing?

I saw this costume and thought that it would be pretty easy to run in. Maybe change the sleeves that come with the costume for some compression sleeves? Obviously you wouldn't need the wings, but it looked pretty rapunzel to me.

All of this costume talk has me curious - anyone else here not planning on wearing a costume of some sort? I'm all about comfort over style when I run (just ask my running buddies...I'm surprised they're even seen with me and my clashing colors...I'll at least try to be all matchy for the Princess Half!)

I am not planning a costume but I am sure looking forward to seeing all of them, they sound wonderful.

I am still triyng to find a tech longsleve I don't mind dumping.

I am not planning a costume but I am sure looking forward to seeing all of them, they sound wonderful.

I am still triyng to find a tech longsleve I don't mind dumping.

I agree, I can't wait to see everybody!

I've found some great tech stuff, surprisingly at Goodwill! I actually have a couple of long sleeved tops I got from there that I wouldn't trade for anything (so maybe this doens't help with something "disposable", LOL!) - one is EMS with great thumbholes and one is an UnderArmor compression shirt.

Anyone ever use those arm sleeves? One of my running buds has them - I should ask her how she likes them. I'm almost always hot when I run, but waiting in the corral might be pretty chilly.

I agree, I can't wait to see everybody!

I've found some great tech stuff, surprisingly at Goodwill! I actually have a couple of long sleeved tops I got from there that I wouldn't trade for anything (so maybe this doens't help with something "disposable", LOL!) - one is EMS with great thumbholes and one is an UnderArmor compression shirt.

Anyone ever use those arm sleeves? One of my running buds has them - I should ask her how she likes them. I'm almost always hot when I run, but waiting in the corral might be pretty chilly.

Yes, I have the sleeves. I plan on wearing them with a short sleeve shirt, and can roll the sleeves down or take them off if it gets too hot!

I also made a hot pink and black tutu and have a foam tiara from Michael's I will be sporting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter