Official 2011 Princess Half Marathon Thread - Link to new thread Post 3703!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from the sports med doctor and she pronounced the shin clinically healed.

I have a training plan to get back into running, but it is looking like I will be walking most of the Princess. This week I start with elliptical.

She liked my shoes (ASICS Gel-2150), and said I didn't need orthotics for now, unless the pain starts to recur.

YAY KAT! So happy for you. I have the 2150's also. Keep on truckin'

Hello all!! I haven't posted in a while but need to get back into the swing of things. I haven't run/walked in a little over a month. My last run was Thanksgiving morning in a 5K. I am getting a little stressed because the Princess half is right around the corner. My question for the experienced is that since I have been so lazy for the last month is it feasible for me to be able l to do the Princess half? :confused3 I feel like I am starting from scratch. I joined a running group the end of July and was very consistent until Thanksgiving. My longest run was 12 miles and it was a little longer than 16 mm. Any tips, advice, comments, anything would be appreciated!! Thanks!!!

I would think so. Lazy for about a month (like it or not) very loosely describes many training for this race due to the holidays and weather. Now, if you hadn't run since July . . . that is a different story. But since that is when you joined the running group and did a 12 miler sometime between the fall running season and now (I'm assuming closer to now), you should be able to complete the race. If you read this thread, many people plan on walking the race, so as long as you get it back in gear - I would think you will be able to "finish". (Now, if you are exaggerating on the length of the month and the definition of "lazy" . . . ) Keep in mind, this is far from a professional opinion, but I'm the kind that likes to "tough it out" and feels I can do anything at least once!

Hello all!! I haven't posted in a while but need to get back into the swing of things. I haven't run/walked in a little over a month. My last run was Thanksgiving morning in a 5K. I am getting a little stressed because the Princess half is right around the corner. My question for the experienced is that since I have been so lazy for the last month is it feasible for me to be able l to do the Princess half? :confused3 I feel like I am starting from scratch. I joined a running group the end of July and was very consistent until Thanksgiving. My longest run was 12 miles and it was a little longer than 16 mm. Any tips, advice, comments, anything would be appreciated!! Thanks!!!

You will feel it for about a week or two coming back after a month off. Do not try to just jump in where your were but ramp up again. You have more than enough time to get back up to distance. At 7 or 8 weeks you can easily add a mile a week and get up to a 9 mile run pre-race. More than enough

My DH laughed at me also and said some other things I can't repeat. Can't wait to see his expression when he notices that i am signed up, flight, hotel and transportation is all booked! He will have to get off of work to stay home and take care of DD! :rotfl2::rotfl2:

DH now knows he has 4 days with both of my DD's age 3 & 6. I laugh at the though of him with them for 4 days without any help. I am sure they will eat donuts and nuggets for the 4 days :lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2:

You are not alone, My last good run was on Thanksgiving 4 miles, then I got sick. I could not run all month. I just started back 1 1/2 weeks ago I did a 6 mile long run then a 7. Before that I got up to 9.3 miles. I am having a hard time with short runs. I just can't stand the treadmill and its been so cold outside. My plan is to up one mile a weekend. So this friday I will do 8, then 9, and so on. This should land me at 13 2 weeks before the princess.
For me I have never done something like this, so as long as I FINISH before the sweepers I will be VERY HAPPY!!!!

I'm a little disappointed in Disney! I was looking around on Disneystore.com, and they offer nothing for the Princess. However, they have a few different shirts, plus 2 vinylmations for Marathon Weekend! So not fair!:confused3

I'm a little disappointed in Disney! I was looking around on Disneystore.com, and they offer nothing for the Princess. However, they have a few different shirts, plus 2 vinylmations for Marathon Weekend! So not fair!:confused3

I am pretty sure that earlier in the thread someone called the Run Disney people and they said they wouldn't be offering it before the Expo this year :confused: I was disappointed with the merchandise I ordered before the Expo. It was cute but Champion makes a lot flimsier gear than say Nike or Adidas and for it to cost more than the better Quality brands was a bit crazy. The stuff they have at the Expo is really nice. Disney Marathon Weekend is a lot more popular so I think that is why there are more options. It should be a busy weekend.

Totally agree!!! I know the last couple of years I've seen the "Princess in Training" merch. sold online and when I finally decided I was going to do this, I was soooo excited for months to order a shirt! VERY disappointed when I found out they weren't selling them this year. I've emailed several times to express my disappointment and always get the same response of "there is nothing available at this time" but never a direct anser on IF anything was ever going to be available. I gave up hope :confused3 Definitely excited to see what's offered at the Expo, but the "in training" stuff would have been a cute motivator for me in the same way all new gear motivates me!! I just downloaded my first run from my new Garmin Forerunner that Santa brought me...it's the coolest thing...love it...can't wait to see 13.1 on there!!! :woohoo:

Totally agree!!! I know the last couple of years I've seen the "Princess in Training" merch. sold online and when I finally decided I was going to do this, I was soooo excited for months to order a shirt! VERY disappointed when I found out they weren't selling them this year. I've emailed several times to express my disappointment and always get the same response of "there is nothing available at this time" but never a direct anser on IF anything was ever going to be available. I gave up hope :confused3 Definitely excited to see what's offered at the Expo, but the "in training" stuff would have been a cute motivator for me in the same way all new gear motivates me!! I just downloaded my first run from my new Garmin Forerunner that Santa brought me...it's the coolest thing...love it...can't wait to see 13.1 on there!!! :woohoo:

It will actually read a little further that day! Love my 405 and hate to run without it!

Hi everyone, can I join the thread? I just signed up for February! :banana: It will be my 4th half marathon and my first Disney event - I'm so excited!

Just got back from the sports med doctor and she pronounced the shin clinically healed.

I have a training plan to get back into running, but it is looking like I will be walking most of the Princess. This week I start with elliptical.

She liked my shoes (ASICS Gel-2150), and said I didn't need orthotics for now, unless the pain starts to recur.

Glad you are feeling better and are all clear for the half. I also have the ascis 2150 and love them!

You are not alone, My last good run was on Thanksgiving 4 miles, then I got sick. I could not run all month. I just started back 1 1/2 weeks ago I did a 6 mile long run then a 7. Before that I got up to 9.3 miles. I am having a hard time with short runs. I just can't stand the treadmill and its been so cold outside. My plan is to up one mile a weekend. So this friday I will do 8, then 9, and so on. This should land me at 13 2 weeks before the princess.
For me I have never done something like this, so as long as I FINISH before the sweepers I will be VERY HAPPY!!!!

I hear you on just finishing! I am feeling the same way as well. I have been ok about getting my runs in, but my nutrition has been horrid and I can tell it's affecting my workouts. I am getting my head out of the holiday fog and am starting to feel better. But it's work getting back into the mental swing of things.

I was so hoping for an 'in training' shirt as well. Hopefully since they are not making these shirts available prior to the expo, there will be enough supply during the course of the weekend.

It will actually read a little further that day! Love my 405 and hate to run without it!

Another garmin lover here!

Add me to the Garmin List 110 Pink and Gray..
I have not linked to the computer yet. I forgot it could do that.

I can't wait to SHOP the expo!!!!!

Glad you are feeling better and are all clear for the half. I also have the ascis 2150 and love them!

Thanks!!

Runningwarehouse.com has the 2150s on clearance for $69.95, then with the WISHD team discount (enter the code in the team discount link just above "view care"), you get 15% off that. It counts even on ASICs since they are on clearance. Free shipping, too!

I actually just bought 2 pair since I went to exchange mine for the smaller size locally and they didn't have it (on clearance there too), so I returned and did the online purchase instead.

Mine are Men's... big feet!!

There was a question about how early the buses will start. In 2009, they started at 4:00, an hour later than the next year. That's because that year we were on the week-end to change the clocks. the race started an hour later at 7:00. In 2010, the buses started at 3:00 and the race started at 6:00 a.m. (I think!). This year the race is scheduled a week earlier (we miss the Epcot Flower and Garden show!!). I would assume the buses will start at the earlier time.

Okay....back to the tutu conversation, because I need to get 'serious' about accessories. Where (if at all) will you purchase said tutu? And, I am assuming an elastic waist is better than the ones you can make at home with ribbon? Please respond soon . . . adult sized tutu emergency is setting on.

There was a question about how early the buses will start. In 2009, they started at 4:00, an hour later than the next year. That's because that year we were on the week-end to change the clocks. the race started an hour later at 7:00. In 2010, the buses started at 3:00 and the race started at 6:00 a.m. (I think!). This year the race is scheduled a week earlier (we miss the Epcot Flower and Garden show!!). I would assume the buses will start at the earlier time.

Someone may have a better answer but the race start is listed as 5:45 :scared1: rather than 6 this year so I wonder if the busses will start 15 mins earlier at 2:45 :eek: (ugh...a little wave of nausea there...)?

Last year it was a staggered start - '09 wasn't but '10 had almost twice the field! It still seemed so incredibly crowded for the first 4 miles at least and I was corral B (it went up to E) which I think started me at 6:07. Maybe the extra 15 minutes is to space us out more?? I know there are more runners Marathon weekend...do any of you who have done that have any insight on the wave starts? Could the extra 15 minutes thin the crowds at all?

Thanks!!

~~~Jennifer~~~

Okay....back to the tutu conversation, because I need to get 'serious' about accessories. Where (if at all) will you purchase said tutu? And, I am assuming an elastic waist is better than the ones you can make at home with ribbon? Please respond soon . . . adult sized tutu emergency is setting on.

I've been obsessing this week over tutu's too ever since the lightbulb in my head went on that we are less than 2 months away!!! :scared1: I've been checking out several places on the web but seem to have found the best selection to my taste on etsy.com. Lots of cute choices from a particular seller called "mtcoffinz" I'm still trying to decide on the style/color I want, but I think I'll end up going with one of theirs. On their site, they also mention that their tutu's have the tulle sewn into the waistband for comfort, rather than tied like you mentioned. Hopefully I can make a decision soon...then it's on the the next debate...tiara or no tiara? I like to keep my Oakleys on my head if I'm on a run where the sun may be out, so not sure if I want to skip the sunglasses for a tiara or what! DECISIONS!!!

i don't know when the buses start but is there really any need to be on the first bus? how long to they run? i mean, is there an advantage on getting on the bus at 3am when you can sleep an hour later and have less time waiting if you get on the, say, 4am bus?

how many of us are going alone? i am. my friend who was supposed to go with me totally bailed and stopped contact with me. she's going through some major issues but it sucks because i'm out over $300 because of her. oh well.

anyway, i'm going solo. arriving friday morning and leaving sunday night. my runs lately have been in the 10:30-11:00 min miles but i also haven't done the really long runs and i seem to get slower and slower as the mileage goes on. i don't know if anyone's looking to run at about that pace.

what about a meet up before or after? just looking for anyone else going solo. :)

i don't know when the buses start but is there really any need to be on the first bus? how long to they run? i mean, is there an advantage on getting on the bus at 3am when you can sleep an hour later and have less time waiting if you get on the, say, 4am bus?

how many of us are going alone? i am. my friend who was supposed to go with me totally bailed and stopped contact with me. she's going through some major issues but it sucks because i'm out over $300 because of her. oh well.

anyway, I'm going solo. arriving friday morning and leaving sunday night. my runs lately have been in the 10:30-11:00 min miles but i also haven't done the really long runs and i seem to get slower and slower as the mileage goes on. i don't know if anyone's looking to run at about that pace.

what about a meet up before or after? just looking for anyone else going solo. :)

Hi! What hotel are you staying at? I'm meeting a friend and her family - we're staying at the POP from Thursday - Monday. While we're not going solo (it's vacation week for the kids in NYS so my plan for a "couples getaway" morphed into an unplanned family vacation!) you are more than welcome to join us any time!

As for running the race, I ran my first half in October and my scheduled partner quit too so I was all alone. I ended up chatting with people on the route and was able to adapt my pace to 2 women who ran with me the whole time (although they took off for a sprint at the end that was totally beyond me! LOL). I think the same thing will probably happen in this race - esp because it's a "fun" one and everyone will be supporting everyone else!

Cripey, my running buddy is taking care of our tutus, etc. Probably because she knows I am hopelessly creatively-challenged. I won't know what ours will look like til I get there (she lives in a different state)!

Right now my running prep has not been what I want it to be. I have ALOT of work to do. My goal is a 10 min mile or less, so that I have extra time to take pictures with the characters because I expect that will add alot to my time. But heck, it also means we get to stop and take a break!!!:rotfl2:

I've been obsessing this week over tutu's too ever since the lightbulb in my head went on that we are less than 2 months away!!! :scared1: I've been checking out several places on the web but seem to have found the best selection to my taste on etsy.com. Lots of cute choices from a particular seller called "mtcoffinz" I'm still trying to decide on the style/color I want, but I think I'll end up going with one of theirs. On their site, they also mention that their tutu's have the tulle sewn into the waistband for comfort, rather than tied like you mentioned. Hopefully I can make a decision soon...then it's on the the next debate...tiara or no tiara? I like to keep my Oakleys on my head if I'm on a run where the sun may be out, so not sure if I want to skip the sunglasses for a tiara or what! DECISIONS!!!

I decided not to put www links in because I think that might not be allowed (I'm new to boards like this)??

As the most craft-challenged person you will ever encounter, I thought I'd share 2 options for the tutu. If you want to go relatively inexpensive, personalized and do it yourself, this is truly the easiest thing ever...

It is a no-sew tutu - if you google it there are many pictures & instructions - maybe a video even. Choose the one with elastic at the waist, not ribbon. The tulle hangs vertically, you can choose one color or several (to make it striped kind of) and you can cut it to length. You use soft tulle instead of crinlon (OK, that may not be the right word but it is the stiffer stuff used for some ballet or Disney costumes - or under wedding/prom dresses for old people like me :lmao:); this also gives a fuller look than the ribbon tutu's. My friend and I made these in less that 45 mins. Because of the way the tulle is tied and hangs, it doesn't make it too uncomfortable. You don't have to pull it real tight.
[cutoutandkeep.net has very detailed instructions and GREAT photos]

Another option is to buy a sparkle running skirt (you wear it over compression shorts or tights)... search sparkleskirts. They are in the $28-$32 range.

Again, not being very sew-literate, it looks like you could easily make one of these as well.

I am going solo this year and probably just wearing tank and running skirt...boring. However, I can assure you that the more Princess outrageous, the better!! princess:princess: We were so amazed by the costumes some people ran in. The hard part is not being able to try them out on an actual run---well, I don't have the guts to--totally in awe of those that are bold enough to run through their town in tutus and tiaras :worship:!!

Happy Tutu-ing!

~~~Jennifer~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter