Official 2011 Princess Half Marathon Thread - Link to new thread Post 3703!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm...post some pics, please.

Ask and ye shall receive....

IMG_0018.JPG.jpg
IMG_0013.JPG.jpg

Ok... I'm definitely in. I've registered and booked my reservations at POP. (We're going to drive to the race) I am going to leave DH and boys at home, and take my parents with me for support. I thought a lot about having the entire family go, but due to cost and my DH's small amount of vacation time, I decided to just ask my parents to accompany me. Plus, this time I want this experience to be about me. I don't want to worry about anyone or anything else... just keep focused on finishing my very first 1/2 marathon.

I completed a 6 mile run this weekend in 1:04. For me, that is good, and I am thrilled. :banana: It was over rolling hills, so I really didn't know what to expect. It felt so good to finish, and I thought "Hey, I'm really going to be able to do this!" Now I just have to stay injury free and healthy.

It has been inspirational seeing everyone's progress on the board. Congrats to everyone who has recently completed a 1/2. Can't wait to achieve that at the Princess!

according to runDisney today is the first day of the training for the princess! it's official! we're all in it! woot!!

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/media/ewwos/pdf/sports/rundisney/PRINCESStime.2.pdf

according to the training plan, you only need two 30 min runs during the week plus the long run. i'm going to sorta-kinda follow this. my long runs are already up to 9 miles so i might work up to 10, stay there for a while, and then move up according to the plan in a few weeks. i don't know about the 18 mile long run but we'll see how i feel. that's a long way to go!

hope everyone's doing well! i did a 4 miler today and the humidity that has returned was a killer!

according to runDisney today is the first day of the training for the princess! it's official! we're all in it! woot!!

http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/media/ewwos/pdf/sports/rundisney/PRINCESStime.2.pdf

according to the training plan, you only need two 30 min runs during the week plus the long run. i'm going to sorta-kinda follow this. my long runs are already up to 9 miles so i might work up to 10, stay there for a while, and then move up according to the plan in a few weeks. i don't know about the 18 mile long run but we'll see how i feel. that's a long way to go!

hope everyone's doing well! i did a 4 miler today and the humidity that has returned was a killer!

As I mentioned before, I truly feel the 18 miler for a HM is a little much. You are just asking for injuries. JMHO.

Best wishes everyone who is now starting the training!

Ok... I'm definitely in. I've registered and booked my reservations at POP. (We're going to drive to the race) I am going to leave DH and boys at home, and take my parents with me for support. I thought a lot about having the entire family go, but due to cost and my DH's small amount of vacation time, I decided to just ask my parents to accompany me. Plus, this time I want this experience to be about me. I don't want to worry about anyone or anything else... just keep focused on finishing my very first 1/2 marathon.

Glad I'm not the only one leaving the kids and Hubby at home! My reasons are the same as yours (cost & vacation time). I'm bringing my Mom for my cheering squad. I'll be celebrating my 40th bday with the run and also my Mom's first Disney trip! :yay:

Your first 1/2 marathon...finishing will be an awesome feeling for you. That's so great that your parents will be there to share it with you! No bigger or better cheerleaders than Moms and Dads!!!:woohoo::cheer2::woohoo:

As I mentioned before, I truly feel the 18 miler for a HM is a little much. You are just asking for injuries. JMHO.

Best wishes everyone who is now starting the training!

I personally think the same way. 18 miles is unneccesary for a half, too much risk of injury. Especially if it's your first. The excitement of doing your first 13.1 mile race is kind of taken away if you've already been training at a longer distance than that. I personally only go to 12 miles when I'm training for a half marathon (I save the race distance for the race day).
But, everyone is different. And, everyone's training is different too.

I personally think the same way. 18 miles is unneccesary for a half, too much risk of injury. Especially if it's your first. The excitement of doing your first 13.1 mile race is kind of taken away if you've already been training at a longer distance than that. I personally only go to 12 miles when I'm training for a half marathon (I save the race distance for the race day).

I had one 12 mile long run for my first HM and in retrospect, I think the 12 miler was perfect. My first HM 2 weeks ago was a success!

I plan on NOT trying to PR during Princess. I just want to take it at a more relaxed pace and ENJOY!!!!!! I will have a 3rd HM later in the Spring for PRing.

Well I did my first official training run today..beautiful day down here in Ga. I was with a group ....which was to start, but they are all faster, so ran alone which was fine by me. I wasn't sure where the 3 mile marker was on our run, so I just ran for 40minutes since my pace is anywhere between 12.5mm and 13.5mm. FELT GREAT! Beautiful day.

As for the 18 mile training that is NOT for new runners - it's for experienced runners trying to improve time. Somebody doing first 1/2 should NOT be following this training schedule. I do agree 18 seems like alot but then again I am slow, and have no interest in doing anything over a 1/2. I just want to finish upright, so following #3. I did Galloway before and really see the value in doing over 13 miles during the training for your mental capacity, but 14 is good enough for me.

FEELS GREAT TO START THE OFFICIAL TRAINING!

Now that my travel plans are starting to shape up I've been thinking about the 5k. Are many people running it in addition to the half? I've been considering it the past few days.

Now that my travel plans are starting to shape up I've been thinking about the 5k. Are many people running it in addition to the half? I've been considering it the past few days.

My DH and I are signed up for the 5K. I didn't want him to feel left out of the weekend, so I thought the 5K would be the perfect opportunity for us to do something together.

As for the 18 mile training that is NOT for new runners - it's for experienced runners trying to improve time. Somebody doing first 1/2 should NOT be following this training schedule. I do agree 18 seems like alot but then again I am slow, and have no interest in doing anything over a 1/2. I just want to finish upright, so following #3. I did Galloway before and really see the value in doing over 13 miles during the training for your mental capacity, but 14 is good enough for me.

FEELS GREAT TO START THE OFFICIAL TRAINING!

I was about to say the same thing that saysay said above. That training plan that was posted says clearly that it is for experienced runners that are looking to improve their speed/time, and NOT for first timers.

I believe that there is another plan geared exactly for first timers.

Galloway believes in taking a half marathoner to 14 miles to get past the mental hump of doing that kind of distance, so I would imagine that the first timer training plan goes to 14.

I disagree with this, personally. For ME, I'll be training in the 14-16 mile range for HMs from now on. But that's me.

I am with Amy. I would recommend, if you are starting your training plan now, that you go to 14 even as a first timer. I found a BIG difference between 12 and 14 in training.

i may not go the full 18 that the experienced plan calls for but i definitely want to do more than 13.1. while i do see the fact that waiting to do 13.1 miles for the race makes it kind of special, i'm more concerned about my brain messing with me on race day and psyching me out by telling me that i've never gone that distance so i can't do it. if i know that i can go past that distance, i think personally i'll do better and feel better about the race.

we'll see though. we still have 20 weeks or whatever it is so i'll have to see where i'm at when those higher mileages come into play. right now my highest is only 9 so regardless of if i do 12 or 18, i need to increase!

Just curious to see if anyone else here is following the MfM plan??::upsidedow

I am following the run/walk plan. This is my first HM. I dont feel bothered by only getting to 10 miles. I have run seven already and even doing that I was thinking what the heck getting to 10 is only 3 more...I can do it. So I think its a personal preference. Everyone is different in how they do things. What ever works for one may not for another.

I am doing the same thing. Going with my mom and Aunt and making it a girls wkend. Its my aunts first trip. I want this to be about me to and not have to worry about taking care of everyone else for a change. I honestly felt so guilty thinking this. I am so thankful that you posted that you were doing the same. I feel much better know that I am not the only mother in the world who is doing this. I was starting to feel really guilty about leaving my 2 boys and dh home. This will be my first half too and I am so excited to have the experience.:goodvibes

I'm doing the 5k with my mom since she's not going to do the half.
Just curious, how long are the character lines for pictures during the 5k's? I'll be walking with my mom, and she finished her last 5k just under 16 minutes per mile, will we have time to stop for pictures if we're supposed to keep a 16 minute mile pace? I was told by others that the non existent lines I saw for the wine and dine half were unusual. I felt bad passing the characters and not taking a picture with them, they were just standing there!:rotfl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter