off to the bank with my loose change!

My boys have a piggy bank and they put all their money in there. Bills or coins, makes no difference.

A week before black friday we take it to the bank, they keep 25% of whatever the amount is (usually around $200) and take the rest to buy toys for kids in need. Then they see what promotions places like Target & Walmart would have on toys, they make a list and send my DH @ 4:00 a.m :lmao:on black friday to get the toys. We wrapped them up and take them to the local rescue mission place.

We like this family tradition.

That is too funny!! How does your husband fare with the 4am brawls? I make my hubby come with me:rotfl2:, he doesn't like it one bit, but I need him to stand in the line when I have to go tinkle from all the cold weather:rotfl:

I do treat him to a nice hot breakfast when it's all over.

We usually hit up the exchange as it's less people there:confused3 and really no fights :rolleyes1, people still DO try to cut in the lines and that gets me heated sometimes:mad:, Then we hit BB and the likes, we usually got to BB last because we are guaranteed 1 of something we want since we are in the Premiere Rewards and they have a special date and time we can come in and get the BF offers w/o all the fighting

I just cleaned out several "junk drawers" and all my purses...( I have many and never fully clean them out when I'm changing out) well after doing this I had $140! I thought that was pretty good for not even trying!

Any spare change goes to the Disney fund. I split it evenly between my children and let them buy what they want :)

One word of caution. I had been using the change counter at my local bank. When I went this year I counted my change before I went just for fun. Forget about fun! The machine shorted me $25.00. I was told that machines weren't perfect, but if the deposit came back with an overage they would call me. Needless to say, I never got a phone call!

DD has a piggy bank that she likes to feed. Last year we collected Disney Dollars for her, but our Disney store left!! :mad:

So, we have been feeding her pig. I am hoping for $50 but we will see!!

One word of caution. I had been using the change counter at my local bank. When I went this year I counted my change before I went just for fun. Forget about fun! The machine shorted me $25.00. I was told that machines weren't perfect, but if the deposit came back with an overage they would call me. Needless to say, I never got a phone call!

That's one reason why I count mine. I don't trust anything. After I put the money in the little counter thing I count it again before rolling it, because those little counter things can be off sometimes.

. Anyway, I'm going to take a chunk of it to give my son, who is graduating from the Police Academy, a trip to a Dallas Cowboys football game.
I really do enjoy the process of rolling it and would not want to take it to a machine and lose a percentage.

If your son needs a date to the Cowboys game I'm available. :rotfl:

We recently cashed in change. In a few years we has accumulated almost $2000. The people at TD Bank had to keep changing out the coin bags in the coin counter! If you faithfully throw whatever change is in your pocket at the end of the day, it really adds up.

We had a couple thousand once too. Now I can't seem to let it accumulate for that long :)

My hubs and I both do this, but because I wanted to use mine for our summer vacation and he wanted to put his toward our next Dis trip, we started keeping separate containers. I cashed mine in over the summer and it was around $250.

The hubs was dutifully hanging on to his in a jar by his nightstand...until we were broken into two weeks ago. :sick: He must've had about $300 in there.

We have been saving our change for about 10 years for our Daughter. We had a separate savings account that we had just for this and it will be for our daughter when she graduates high school and heads off to college and needs spending money. We have saved $4000 of just change and have recently closed the savings account and put it into a teen CD earning 3% interest (about $10 per month). We still have 5 years to add to this amount so hopefully it will be a nice little sum of cash for our daughter to use while in college.

Last year we collected Disney Dollars for her, but our Disney store left!! :mad:

FWIW, Disney Stores don't carry Disney Dollars anymore anyway....

I've been trying to find a place to turn my change in that doesn't take a cut or give me a gift card. Compass Bank and Bank of America don't take change. We used to use Compass for it since they would take rolled coins but last time we tried a year or two ago they told us they couldn't take it. I'd like to have the extra money for our December trip.

If the amazon giftcard won't work for you (works for many b/c they'll buy their normal things from amazon with the GC and then put aside the cash they would have used), do you have a Chase bank nearby? They might accept your rolled coins.

the other way we save besides the coin jar is we have Bank of America and have their Keep the Change program, so it automatically rounds to the nearest dollar. Take a guess where all the extra change goes to??? Yup our Disney savings acct!:banana:

We save change in 4 jars, sorting by coin. I haven't rolled it for a long time, and hae noticed that the quarter jar is pretty full.

My DH and I save about $500-600 each year this way.

I have a giant jar in which I saved pennies for about 20 years. Eventually the glass was at risk of breaking, so cashed the pennies in at coinstar for Amazon.com. It took quite a few trips as we kept filling up the machine. So, if you save pennies for 20 years, about $420!!

That was Christmas spending money.

I do the change jar as well. Also, to help you guys/gals out a bit more, if your change is older, you may want to look through it for the 90% silver coins which would be those from before 1965. Today's pricing shows that the melt value of a 1964 quarter is $4.39. So the bank gives you $.25 for it, but if you sold it to a collector/pawn shop/other place, it would be worth almost 16 times as much if they paid the right value for it.

http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html is the link for the daily rate changes. I got todays rate under the 1932-1964 washington quarters for the quarter. Granted, it's probably only worth it if you have a bunch in there, but if you just dump it straight into a coin counting machine that gives you a receipt/amazon card, you may have just missed out on a lot more. Even 20 of the 1964 or older quarters would be an extra $80 or so instead of the $5 that the machine would give out.

Hope it helps you all out a bit more for that extra run to Disney!

I never have cash because I hate having change around everywhere specially because it does add up. We have the keep the change program with bank of america we have a total of $320 to our savings from this program!

That is too funny!! How does your husband fare with the 4am brawls? I make my hubby come with me:rotfl2:, he doesn't like it one bit, but I need him to stand in the line when I have to go tinkle from all the cold weather:rotfl:

I do treat him to a nice hot breakfast when it's all over.

We usually hit up the exchange as it's less people there:confused3 and really no fights :rolleyes1, people still DO try to cut in the lines and that gets me heated sometimes:mad:, Then we hit BB and the likes, we usually got to BB last because we are guaranteed 1 of something we want since we are in the Premiere Rewards and they have a special date and time we can come in and get the BF offers w/o all the fighting

He does it for the kids & the deals.This year he is considering taking DS7.................I guess better him than me :rolleyes1:lmao:
I like your idea of rewarding them afterwards with a mighty breakfast, after fighting the crowds it's the least they would deserve.

Interesting site, thanks!

I do the change jar as well. Also, to help you guys/gals out a bit more, if your change is older, you may want to look through it for the 90% silver coins which would be those from before 1965. Today's pricing shows that the melt value of a 1964 quarter is $4.39. So the bank gives you $.25 for it, but if you sold it to a collector/pawn shop/other place, it would be worth almost 16 times as much if they paid the right value for it.

http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html is the link for the daily rate changes. I got todays rate under the 1932-1964 washington quarters for the quarter. Granted, it's probably only worth it if you have a bunch in there, but if you just dump it straight into a coin counting machine that gives you a receipt/amazon card, you may have just missed out on a lot more. Even 20 of the 1964 or older quarters would be an extra $80 or so instead of the $5 that the machine would give out.

Hope it helps you all out a bit more for that extra run to Disney!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter