Oddest places you've met a fellow DVC owner..

pilferk

Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I thought it might be interesting to start a thread with stories about the oddest places, outside WDW, where you've met another DVC owner.

I just had my first this past Thursday.

I was attending the Connecticut Trauma Confernece at Foxwoods on Thursday and Friday. We'd just finished up our morning sessions and I was walking into the "break" area. Lo and behold, right in front of me walked a gentleman wearing a DVC Hilton Head polo shirt. I couldn't resist. I walked up to him and told him I liked his shirt, and that my wife and I had just bought in to DVC AKV. We chatted for a bit (he was with HIS wife and they were BCV owners) about HHI, DVC, and the AKV's and then went on our seperate ways. It was just so funny and random.....

Anyone else have any stories to add?

We were on vacation at Mt Rushmore and were eating lunch in the town. Another couple saw my hat (VWL hat) and asked if we were DVC members. Small world. Hey, grizzlymd, how's things???

My first thought was that it's just plain odd for me to meet a fellow DVCer anywhere outside of WDW. For years, it seemed there were no other DVC members within 100 miles of me. Then one day, I was sitting in the dental chair with an absessed tooth, bemoaning the fact that I'd gotten it from crunching on the cinamon nuts at Epcot my last day at WDW. I didn't expect him to know those! Well, not only did he, he was a new member (SSR) and called in his dental assistant to talk to me, she was also a new DVC member. That was very surprising!

Pilferk - we ran into some folks at Lake Compounce in Bristol this past summer - didn't stop and chat - just acknowledged each others DVC hats and both kept running to our destination...then we met some at our local rollerskating rink - had great conversations with them...

And within the past year we've found out that THREE employees at our DDs school are members as well...

I was meeting with a social worker at the nursing home my aunt had been admitted to after dislocating her shoulder and fracturing her upper arm when I noticed a DVC logo on her bulletin board. - The conversation then turned to DVC and WDW. We ultimately got to the plans for my aunt's stay.

I met a DVCer and they were also a long time DISer. I was paying some invoices at work and one of the ones I was paying was to a temp services for one of our temps. I saw the invoice and thought the name sounded familiar. But never really thought about it until one day I was talking to a friend of mine who worked in the same dept. as the temp. I was telling my friend about an upcoming DVC trip. The temp says she's also a DVC member. All of a sudden I put it together and said you're so and so from DIS and she said how the heck did I know that.

My experiences aren't as odd as everyone else's. But, I have come across 2 DVCers at work.

I think I made one of them uncomfortable when the conversation somehow got around to how many points we each have, and where. She has 150 at OKW. When I said 305 at BWV, she almost fell off her chair, saying that she's never heard of anyone with that many. :blush:

My lesson learned - don't talk about number of points. :guilty:

I work for a communications company, and I was once asked by an account team to speak at a customer meeting. Since the customer is business casual, I wore a Disney-themed shirt.

One of the meeting attendees was executive-level, who commented on my shirt. I was just starting to think, "uh oh, I shudda worn something else today", when he started asking how many times I gone to WDW, if I was a DVC member, all kind of Disney-related questions. (Picture this...the account team is seated at the table wanting to make a big sale, and here I'm yacking about Disney with this VP.) Turns out, he owns at OKW.

But the funny thing was, I noticed a lot of the members of his team were taking a lot more notes while we chatted about DVC and Disney in general, than while I was talking about switches, routers and optical-based network designs. Some even called me after the meeting...not to discuss business, but to talk about owning at DVC.

(Oh, and the account team made the sale...)

I met a fellow DVC'er a few nights ago! It was at DD's school. They were having a "club night" celebrating the different after school clubs. While picking up DD's scrapbook some of the mothers, who were running some of the clubs, commented on all the great Disney pictures DD had in her book! I told them we are Disney crazy and go every year. Then one of them tells me she goes ever other year then asked where we will be staying on our trip in April. I said BWV, we are DVC members. She says us too!! Then we get into the whole DVC/Disney convo while the kids are trying to pull us away!LOL I thought it was really neat!

We got a new school nurse in our school this year and we were doing a "get-to-know-you" exercise at the beginning of the school year. She mentioned that she went on an Alaskan cruise that she traded her timeshare points for. I said "Oh, you can do that with ours too" We got to talking about more details and it was lots of "Me too's!"

She own at OKW and SSR. We own at VWL. And yes, we did talk about points. She has way more than we do BUT we did an add-on last week so we're catching up......

Denice T.
Olathe, KS

A few years ago (about 6) I enrolled my dd for some free golf lessons run by the NYC Parks Department and met a fellow dvc member there. She was one of the first members I met since buying in actually.

There are currently three people at work and one who used to work there that owns dvc. There are also three families at my dd's school that also owns dvc.

Let's not forget my friend, her parents, her sister, her brother and my brother. ;)

I was at a Scrapbook Convention, and was looking at some of my neighbors work. The lady across from me was working on DVC pictures! She's the only one I've ever met, but I know that there are a few of us in VA.

Another couple from our church are DVC members and the local pizza parlor owners just bought at SSR. Driving to the grocery store today I saw a parked car with the new DVC car magnet thingy on the back. I felt like leaving a note under their windshield "Us too!"

I met a fellow DVC member in the parking lot waiting for my oldest daughter to finish at a math tutoring place. She also had a daughter there. She had a DVC plate on her van so I walked over and talked to her.

Pilferk - we ran into some folks at Lake Compounce in Bristol this past summer - didn't stop and chat - just acknowledged each others DVC hats and both kept running to our destination...then we met some at our local rollerskating rink - had great conversations with them...

And within the past year we've found out that THREE employees at our DDs school are members as well...

Well, if you're back at Lake Compounce this year.....I'll keep an eye out for that hat. We're there at least once a month, sometimes more. :)

I have 4 people at my work that I know own DVC. We can talk points. Most of us have around the same amount.

Sorry it's not as exotic as Nepal, but...

When I went to my bank to have some papers notarized, the notary public turned out to be a DVC owner. He was concerned that I was getting rid of my points. Never fear, I won't give them all away!

Well, if you're back at Lake Compounce this year.....I'll keep an eye out for that hat. We're there at least once a month, sometimes more. :)

Ha Ha - maybe it was YOU I saw! .... Cool; we'll be there - we get season passes each year, and we're usually there every Sunday ... See ya at 'The Lake'...

Not weird , but I was in the middle of work when someone came into my office to tell me that he heard I had just bought DVC. He did too. I really couldn't talk to him about DVC though because while I was lucky enough to have all you guys here on the Dis , he did not. He told me he owns all his points at " Fort Wilderness Lodge " I asked him about Villa's at Wilderness Lodge and he said he didn't know about those but he guessed they were somewhere close to his resort!!!!!!!!! :laughing: I let him know thats where he owned but he said nope it was DEFINITELY Fort Wilderness Lodge. So I just smiled and nodded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter