Oddest places you've met a fellow DVC owner..

In Ohau at a Marriott resort! DH and I were walking back from snorkeling and someone started waving at us. It was a DVC friend we had sailed on the Member Cruise with a couple of times. She's from Florida and we're from Chicago and neither of us knew the other would be there.

Not weird , but I was in the middle of work when someone came into my office to tell me that he heard I had just bought DVC. He did too. I really couldn't talk to him about DVC though because while I was lucky enough to have all you guys here on the Dis , he did not. He told me he owns all his points at " Fort Wilderness Lodge " I asked him about Villa's at Wilderness Lodge and he said he didn't know about those but he guessed they were somewhere close to his resort!!!!!!!!! :laughing: I let him know thats where he owned but he said nope it was DEFINITELY Fort Wilderness Lodge. So I just smiled and nodded.

So did he really own DVC or was he just staying at Fort Wilderness???;)

We went to a cookout at a neighbors house shortly ofter moving to the neighborhood. I found out that two families in the neighborhood and the mailman are all DVC members. I guess I picked the right house to buy:love: It is funny because when we are all outside shoveling snow in the winter, we all start talking DVC. We trade stories of our next trips to WDW.

I also have a couple of students who noticed my vacation planner on my desk. They mentioned that they have one too.:)

My guess is that he really did own at Wilderness Lodge Villas- and his WIFE made the DVC purchase and handles their DVC account- and he is just along for the ride.

Not too strange but I met someone at my prior work and her family owned at OKW. DH's old boss also owned DVC and were talking about vacations at lunch and learned about this.

I just met #2 this morning! A new member of our church, who's been singing with me for a few weeks now said that they're going to WDW on Saturday. I asked where she was staying, she said "BW; we have a time-share there." I was like "Oooooo...that's where DH and I wanted but our guide was like, 'good luck'. We own at VWL" She said "Ooooo....that's my favorite resort. It didn't exist yet when we bought at BWV!"

Small world, isn't it?

Denice T.
Olathe, KS

My guess is that he really did own at Wilderness Lodge Villas- and his WIFE made the DVC purchase and handles their DVC account- and he is just along for the ride.

I think that is it exactly. He knew enough about saving points last year to take the kids and grandkids this year.

All I thought was " how do you spend all that money on DVC and NOT know what it is you bought !!!!"

I was at a conference and we were doing one of those "break the ice" exercises. Each table had to count how many "cards" we had in our wallets...well three people at our table had DVC member cards! None were Disers though...they looked at me like I had 3 eyes when I asked them.

Actually, there is a DISer that is local to me, that I never knew was a DVC member. I teach in a K-8 district (I work as a substitute teacher, trying to get a full-time job in said district), and while talking with BillK through PM, he mentioned that his wife is a music teacher in this district. Small world! So while I've never met BillK, I work with his wife. We're both owners at BWV. Not sure how many points his family owns, but it was a neat connection.

At the community mailbox. We were both picking up our Vacation Magic. I posted about it here that I was too shy to say something and she didn't notice I had mine.

Two places strike me:
  1. In Rome as I was waiting to board Holland America's Westerdam for a transatlantic cruise back to Florida. I had my DVC hat on and met a few DVC owners that way. It was really neat because we ended up on some of the shore excursions together and already had lots of common ground!
  2. In Michigan City, Indiana at Indiana State Prison. I was visiting some of the staff -- I used to work there -- and one of the officers was coming in wearing DVC garb. We struck up a great conversation as well.

Mine was at a wake. There was a picture of the deceased at a DVC resort and I mentioned it to his widow. Sure enough I find out that they own there too. It was nice for us to talk for a few minutes about all of the joy DVC had brought her family but it was still a strange way to meet a fellow DVCer.

I wish it had been Nepal or Rome though. Next week we're on a little Caribbean island and we'll have our DVC bag with us so we'll have to see if anyone notices.

HBC

well after we bought into SSR i found out that one of my co=workers had also bought into SSR on their last trip a month earlier.

the next day my wife was talking about our purchase and one of her co=workers also had bought into SSR on their trip a month earlier.

just odd coincidences i guess

Not an odd place but........I drive for UPS-I was walking past the weight room at Boardwalk and happened to glance in and said to my wife "That looks like one of my customers"(but I didn't get a good look). After my wife made a trip to the pool, she came back to the room and said J made a new friend and they happen to live on the next street over(at home). It just happened to be my customers daughter that I thought I noticed in the weight room. Small World.

Neat thread!

Still hasn't happened to me, though! In Maine, we don't have too many DVCers, so it will be a bit more of a challenge, I think. There are under 500 in the whole state and it is a large state.

Speaking of which....HBC...it is April and officially Spring...isn't it time for you to be heading back this way???

Ha Ha - maybe it was YOU I saw! .... Cool; we'll be there - we get season passes each year, and we're usually there every Sunday ... See ya at 'The Lake'...

Not THAT time (we're recent DVC buyers....bought AKV on March 5th), but maybe the next...

:)

I can't wait until LC finishes up moving Mount Vernon Rd and starts expanding on that side of the park!

Not THAT time (we're recent DVC buyers....bought AKV on March 5th), but maybe the next...

:)

I can't wait until LC finishes up moving Mount Vernon Rd and starts expanding on that side of the park!

Congrats on just 'becoming'!!

And, Cool ~ I didn't realize they were expanding more - that's great! I do like how every year they are adding and/or improving things...it's a great little place!

Last spring I was at a golf club demo night at the golf club I belong to. The club pro introduced me to another member who was going to go to Disney golfing. The pro knew we went to Disney frequently and played a lot of golf there. First thing I asked was where he was staying. It was a DVC property but I don't remember which one now and they were members. I asked him if he was going to get a DVC golf membership. He didn't know about the membership. He appreciated the information about the golf membership and the golf courses.

A little over a year ago DW joined a new book club. It turns out that 2 of the other people in the book club are DVC members.

Two weeks before our last DVC trip to WDW, my husband who is never sick came down with an ear infection and almost couldn't fly. So off to the family MD we went. After telling the md about our upcoming trip; he said where are you headed, we said WDW, he said hey I'm in the DVC there. We said us too, now please give my DH something to improve his ear-he did,we went.Thank you Doc.

My mother was in the hospital a few years ago and I started a conversation with her "roommates" daughter. I noticed her diamond mickey earrings while we were talking and had to interupt and ask if she was a Disney freak too. She owned DVC as did most of her DH family! We talked for a long time and have gone to lunch a few times after. Had to laugh when my brother came to visit as he listened to us talk points, resorts, etc. He thought we were talking our own language :rotfl: :rotfl:

My second time I ran out to the parking lot of my work after seeing a car in the lot with the DVC licence plate.

Third time I was getting in my car next to a car with DVC license plate and exchanged quick info too.

I live in really rural area so I was shocked to have this many encounters!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter