October 2013 Code Watch?!

Grumpy Grandma said:
Did you book a BB while you were there?

Nope, only bc it was for Aug/Sep and we really want to go in October instead. Was bummed bc we would have booked for sure!

My sister's family and mine are going October 19-27, 2013. Hoping for FD. Have not reserved any rooms yet, do you folks recommend making a(2) room only ressies or wait until FD is annouced in the Spring (?). We will be staying at a MOD, first choice is POFQ.
Thanks

pretty soon it will be LESS than a year

My sister's family and mine are going October 19-27, 2013. Hoping for FD. Have not reserved any rooms yet, do you folks recommend making a(2) room only ressies or wait until FD is annouced in the Spring (?). We will be staying at a MOD, first choice is POFQ.
Thanks

We are going for our first visit at the same exact time. I'd be really interested in the answer to your question as well. I've made a AAA reservation CSR already but we're really interested in free dining.

Thanks

A room only reservation really would do you no good. In order to apply a FD discount, you must book a package. Money cannot move between a room only and a pckage, so you would have to cancel the room only reservation (getting that deposit refunded to you) and rebook as a package with a new deposit (not the money from your room only). If you are planning to stay at POFQ regarless of a FD discount, it will be easier to apply the discount if you have first booked it as a package. If you do not intend to stay there unless you get FD, then just wait and book nothing until the discount is available.

If rooms are booked and you do not plan on keeping them, then there is less of a reason for Disney to offer a discount because, as far as they know, the hotel is selling without a discount being offered. Only book if you are going regarless and then if a discount comes out, consider it a bonus. :goodvibes

A room only reservation really would do you no good. In order to apply a FD discount, you must book a package. Money cannot move between a room only and a pckage, so you would have to cancel the room only reservation (getting that deposit refunded to you) and rebook as a package with a new deposit (not the money from your room only). If you are planning to stay at POFQ regarless of a FD discount, it will be easier to apply the discount if you have first booked it as a package. If you do not intend to stay there unless you get FD, then just wait and book nothing until the discount is available.

If rooms are booked and you do not plan on keeping them, then there is less of a reason for Disney to offer a discount because, as far as they know, the hotel is selling without a discount being offered. Only book if you are going regarless and then if a discount comes out, consider it a bonus. :goodvibes

Thanks for the advice, we really need FD and don't HAVE to have a particular MOD; POFQ is our first choice but I am sure we will enjoy which ever we end up booking.

Have seen a lot of postings from people last spring that had already booked and then were able to get FD applied and just wondered how that worked.

scard192 said:
Thanks for the advice, we really need FD and don't HAVE to have a particular MOD; POFQ is our first choice but I am sure we will enjoy which ever we end up booking.

Have seen a lot of postings from people last spring that had already booked and then were able to get FD applied and just wondered how that worked.

Discounts are always based on availability. So if the occupancy for a given resort/room type is low enough, there will be discounts available. And they can be applied on a new or existing reservation. If occupancy goes up, the discount will be unavailable to anyone who doesn't already have it. If there are cancellations, it can become available again. POFQ is a popular resort and has been known to sell out but you never know.

I'll join the code watch! This will be our family's first trip to Disney! It will be myself, my husband, our 2 kids (5 and 2) and both sets of grandparents.

We are still trying to decide our dates, we're looking at either mid-late October, or the first week of November. I've been checking out some of the sites that list the historical data for the promos and blackout dates, it seems like we'd maybe be more likely to the FD if we DIDN'T book the first week of November (Jersey Week); room only discounts seem to be offered at times, but not FD. :(

I'll join the code watch! This will be our family's first trip to Disney! It will be myself, my husband, our 2 kids (5 and 2) and both sets of grandparents.

We are still trying to decide our dates, we're looking at either mid-late October, or the first week of November. I've been checking out some of the sites that list the historical data for the promos and blackout dates, it seems like we'd maybe be more likely to the FD if we DIDN'T book the first week of November (Jersey Week); room only discounts seem to be offered at times, but not FD. :(

:welcome: to the boards. This site is a great source of information. It can be overwhelming at times, but most of the people here are very helpful. You will come across a few bad apples in the bunch, but for the most part, this site is fantastic. :goodvibes

Late October would definitely be your best chance at FD. October is a GREAT time to go. We arrive at POP Century in 24 days, but we are also looking ahead to next October's trip, as well.

:welcome: to the boards. This site is a great source of information. It can be overwhelming at times, but most of the people here are very helpful. You will come across a few bad apples in the bunch, but for the most part, this site is fantastic. :goodvibes

Late October would definitely be your best chance at FD. October is a GREAT time to go. We arrive at POP Century in 24 days, but we are also looking ahead to next October's trip, as well.

Thank you!! Next year seems like it's forever to have to wait, but I know the time will go by quickly. Right now, we're leaning toward the Art of Animation....I wish we could swing the family suites, but it just doesn't seem like that makes the most sense, with the number of people that we have. so, we'll probably give the Little Mermaid rooms a try.

Thank you!! Next year seems like it's forever to have to wait, but I know the time will go by quickly. Right now, we're leaning toward the Art of Animation....I wish we could swing the family suites, but it just doesn't seem like that makes the most sense, with the number of people that we have. so, we'll probably give the Little Mermaid rooms a try.

Just so you are prepared for the possibility, the LM rooms were excluded from the public FD offers this year. Hopefully once the newness wears off, they will include them. Fingers crossed for both of us! :goodvibes

Just so you are prepared for the possibility, the LM rooms were excluded from the public FD offers this year. Hopefully once the newness wears off, they will include them. Fingers crossed for both of us! :goodvibes

ahh...that is good to know! This board is helpful already!

:hourglass Looking at going sometime in mid Oct up to first week in Nov. We have not been in 2 years and super excited. Hoping to stay for 12 to 14 days. Me, DH, DD 13 and DD 10. Would love some sort of discount;), but also looking at the Y.E.S program for tickets and so room only would be great! Girls also want to go see Harry at the WWofHP, but trying to figure out how to fund that addition.
We have always gone Thanksgiving week or in Late Jan. or early Feb., but looking forward to the Halloween atmosphere!

Count me in for Oct '13 looking for Oct 27 - Nov 2 in POR.
That's where we are planning to stay and right about the same time (we're looking at 10/31 to 11/10). If there are no discounts available, we will stay off site. I have no problem doing that. I still want to go to Disney and will just make a work-around.

Jersey Week next year will be the week that includes November 8th & 9th (the actual dates of the conference). If you arrive the week prior (like we are planning to) and if Disney sticks to their past dates for FD, it should be available.

As I said previously, I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I love staying on-site, but I will make do of I am unable to stay at POR.

Happy Planning!

That's where we are planning to stay and right about the same time (we're looking at 10/31 to 11/10). If there are no discounts available, we will stay off site. I have no problem doing that. I still want to go to Disney and will just make a work-around.

Jersey Week next year will be the week that includes November 8th & 9th (the actual dates of the conference). If you arrive the week prior (like we are planning to) and if Disney sticks to their past dates for FD, it should be available.

As I said previously, I'm keeping my fingers crossed because I love staying on-site, but I will make do of I am unable to stay at POR.

Happy Planning!

I was going off of this site "your first visit", it says Jersey week will be the week of 11/2. So, if you arrive before it technically starts (if we were to arrive on 10/31 or 11/1), would you still get the FD discount, is that how it works?

Joining code watch for the first week of October 2013! We just returned (as in last Friday) from Disney and I'm obsessed and ready to plan next year's trip! I'm hoping for FD at a MOD do I can upgrade to the Deluxe dining again, we loved it. The kids always had milk thanks to our snack credits. I'm tempted to book a package and switch it over if they announce FD.

I was going off of this site "your first visit", it says Jersey week will be the week of 11/2. So, if you arrive before it technically starts (if we were to arrive on 10/31 or 11/1), would you still get the FD discount, is that how it works?

I'm basing my guesstimate on the last couple years' dates. I am planning on arriving 10/31 and expect (hope, with all my fingers & toes crossed!) that I will get FD. You will not see an influx of Jersey people until Wednesday, the 6th (I had my dates wrong....the convention is the 7th & 8th). Most schools will be in session on Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday.

Anyway.....based on past years, FD was not available from the Saturday preceeding Jersey Week (the 2nd next year like you said). So, if you check in on the 31st or the 1st, you will get FD if it is offered.

I'm one of the odd ducks - I take my kids out of school. My children are straight A students. My son is in honors classes and my daughter, although in 8th grade, also takes college courses. So, the school district does not question my vacation schedule.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any more questions!!! (I love feeling useful!)

I'm basing my guesstimate on the last couple years' dates. I am planning on arriving 10/31 and expect (hope, with all my fingers & toes crossed!) that I will get FD. You will not see an influx of Jersey people until Wednesday, the 6th (I had my dates wrong....the convention is the 7th & 8th). Most schools will be in session on Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday.

Anyway.....based on past years, FD was not available from the Saturday preceeding Jersey Week (the 2nd next year like you said). So, if you check in on the 31st or the 1st, you will get FD if it is offered.

I'm one of the odd ducks - I take my kids out of school. My children are straight A students. My son is in honors classes and my daughter, although in 8th grade, also takes college courses. So, the school district does not question my vacation schedule.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any more questions!!! (I love feeling useful!)

Thank you, that is very helpful!! I am such a planner, I love doing this kind of stuff, even though it's a little overwhelming to keep all of the details straight (and learn all of these acronyms!) My son will be in kindergarten next year...I feel a bit guilty pulling him out of school, but not guilty enough to keep me from doing it :)

Since joining this board and learning all about these elusive pin codes, I have been stalking my email and mailbox everyday...my heart skips when I see "Disney Destinations" in the title of the email, only to be let down when I glance at the subject and see that it's always something like "Disney Resort Pics and More!" from where I was playing around on the Disney site earlier that day. Boo!

Thank you, that is very helpful!! I am such a planner, I love doing this kind of stuff, even though it's a little overwhelming to keep all of the details straight (and learn all of these acronyms!) My son will be in kindergarten next year...I feel a bit guilty pulling him out of school, but not guilty enough to keep me from doing it :)

Since joining this board and learning all about these elusive pin codes, I have been stalking my email and mailbox everyday...my heart skips when I see "Disney Destinations" in the title of the email, only to be let down when I glance at the subject and see that it's always something like "Disney Resort Pics and More!" from where I was playing around on the Disney site earlier that day. Boo!

I've been on these boards for years and my first "family" vacation to Disney was in 2006. I am never gotten a pin code. :( lol

My little guy will be in kindergarten next year as well!!! And I think I got the dates wrong again. :blush: Just know this - whatever the Thursday and Friday are of that first full November Week - those are the NJEA Convention dates. :D

Anyway.....as I was saying, my little guy will be in K, too. It will be my daughter's freshman year in HS and my son will be in 7th grade. Do I worry about taking them out of school? Yes. BUT.....they are all honors students (even my little guy is in the gifted & talented program at his school), so I know that they will catch up on the work. I cannot physically go to FL in the summer during school breaks. I am very pale with red hair and I don't do well at all in the heat & humidity.

We've been playing around the last few years with moving down there and the heat & humidity is the only reason we don't. I think it would be totally cool to "hop on over to a park" after work one day if I lived there (because, yes, I would have APs. lol).

If you'd like, feel free to PM me and I will give you my contact info and answer any other questions you might have (can I tempt you with a budget spreadsheet?.....I hand them out like candy in my town. :)).

Hav a great day!!!!

I've been on these boards for years and my first "family" vacation to Disney was in 2006. I am never gotten a pin code. :( lol

My little guy will be in kindergarten next year as well!!! And I think I got the dates wrong again. :blush: Just know this - whatever the Thursday and Friday are of that first full November Week - those are the NJEA Convention dates. :D

Anyway.....as I was saying, my little guy will be in K, too. It will be my daughter's freshman year in HS and my son will be in 7th grade. Do I worry about taking them out of school? Yes. BUT.....they are all honors students (even my little guy is in the gifted & talented program at his school), so I know that they will catch up on the work. I cannot physically go to FL in the summer during school breaks. I am very pale with red hair and I don't do well at all in the heat & humidity.

We've been playing around the last few years with moving down there and the heat & humidity is the only reason we don't. I think it would be totally cool to "hop on over to a park" after work one day if I lived there (because, yes, I would have APs. lol).

If you'd like, feel free to PM me and I will give you my contact info and answer any other questions you might have (can I tempt you with a budget spreadsheet?.....I hand them out like candy in my town. :)).

Hav a great day!!!!

Great, I'll shoot you a PM!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter