October 2011 Code Watch

I hate to bum everyone out, but I was on THIS web-site, and I noticed a link for fall deals, and it lead me to THIS web-site, which is exactly the one that's being talked about on this thread. However, when I try to book a moderate, it gives me RACK rates.

So, that is definitely not a web-page that is supposed to link to any special sales....sorry folks!

Doesn't mean discounts aren't coming, just means that's not where they are coming from.

Yes, that's exactly what we've been discussing. The ad looks like a promo, including the usual verbiage, dates and room-only rate disclaimer language, but the sample is rack rate + tickets and the parameters that go to the booking page are bringing up rack rate. :confused3

Also the second link that you showed above is actually what was linked very briefly (like less than an hour) to the Special Offers page. It's slightly different from the link from the main page in that it has that extra garbage at the end that refers to Q3. But the ad is the same.

On an even more confusing note, when I clicked on your first link and then click on the Disney ad -- it isn't talking about fall deals anymore and goes to this generic MYW page: http://bookwdw.reservations.disney....&market=fy11myw&CMP=BAC-WDWFY11Q35487360_0031

Who knows. Maybe we're reading too much into Disney I.T. sloppiness. But it's definitely odd. As I said, i'm not too worried about it. The discount will come soon whether it's linked to this add or not.

Do you just think it's a coincidence all the game on pins people were getting offering people rack rates with no discounts.

Those were a while ago. All the recent pins have been real discounts.

I don't know. Technically the package is a discount, in that ticket rates have gone up since the package rates were announced. So if you order a package (i.e., room plus tickets) you get a discount on the tickets. But I find it misleading in that it looks like a room discount and it's not. If you didn't know what rack rate was, you might think you were getting a real deal.

I'm trying not to think about it too much this weekend. My plan is still to wait to about Wednesday of this week. If there's still no discount then i'll just book the Swan or Dolphin. The rate on Travelocity is the same as what a room-only on BWI would be. It's non-refundable, so once I book it i'm set but I don't want to wait too long and risk being off the boardwalk all together.

I received a Game On pin a couple of days ago for all of 16% off but would have had to change to one of the less popular resorts...no thanks Disney!

16% off -- wow, that's pretty sad. I wonder what their success rate is on a promotion like that. Presumably high enough to justify the cost of the mailings but it kind of boggles the mind.

There are definitely resorts I wouldn't stay at too. Not that they're bad, just that they're not worth it for me. I'd rather just save the money and stay at ASMu again, than stay at some of the less interesting Moderate themes or the Deluxes that aren't monorail/walking distance. For me the buses are fine, but the more convenient transportation options are what makes the Deluxes worth the money.

I'm really just ready for this to be over. I was initially holding out for the discount because I promised my son i'd try to get Stormalong Bay. But there are no rooms below Water view available at BC right now, so that's not even an option. And there is occasionally a Studio at BCV but they come and go, so it's likely to be too full for a discount. So now i'm holding out for BWI, which we love, but the only real advantage to that over Swan is DME and KTTW cards.

Sorry you had to cancel your Oct trip (explains why after waiting and checking so much you cancelled the Dessert Party) but your March trip sounds like lots of fun with your family!

Thanks, but I am getting use to life interupting my Disney Trips. I have always wanted to go to Disney for my birthday, unfortunately that is peak season rates so will be going the week before but that is ok, DH birthday is end of the month so we can celebrate both early and take advantage of FD which worked out to a tad less than 19% savings $515.40. Not earth shattering but will just keep my fingers crossed for a GP RO Discount for March now instead of Oct.

I hope Disney releases a GP for everyone waiting for one for Fall.

I doubt I rebook the dessert party since staying at CR in a TPV room we can just relax and watch the fireworks from our balcony. Saving another $50+ by not booking the dessert party :laughing:

The kids( DS and wife are in their 40's) are not ones to commit too far in advance so I doubt they will come along, but who knows if a good deal comes out they are not interested in FD since they both eat so very little, oh well :rolleyes1

16% off -- wow, that's pretty sad. I wonder what their success rate is on a promotion like that. Presumably high enough to justify the cost of the mailings but it kind of boggles the mind.

There are definitely resorts I wouldn't stay at too. Not that they're bad, just that they're not worth it for me. I'd rather just save the money and stay at ASMu again, than stay at some of the less interesting Moderate themes or the Deluxes that aren't monorail/walking distance. For me the buses are fine, but the more convenient transportation options are what makes the Deluxes worth the money.

I'm really just ready for this to be over. I was initially holding out for the discount because I promised my son i'd try to get Stormalong Bay. But there are no rooms below Water view available at BC right now, so that's not even an option. And there is occasionally a Studio at BCV but they come and go, so it's likely to be too full for a discount. So now i'm holding out for BWI, which we love, but the only real advantage to that over Swan is DME and KTTW cards.

I think the most disappointing thing about Disney and this late offerings of GP is the fact that by time they do release a promo, all the lower priced rooms are filled, now add in the decrease in % less than 20% :mad: come on Disney, just puts the resorts many want to stay at "out of reach" for the average joe
even with a discount if you have to book a higher priced room to use the discount.

come on Disney, just puts the resorts many want to stay at "out of reach" for the average joe even with a discount if you have to book a higher priced room to use the discount.[/COLOR]

That's not their problem. They don't care if they fill rooms one year in advance or one month in advance; they don't care if you get your favorite resort so long as you come at all, and it looks like you are. They will find a way to fill every room, and even if they don't they have done the math to make whatever strategy they have worth putting out. It's not about you, it's about their bottom line, and they have a hundred people crunching the numbers to satisfy that line every single day.

Also, for every two people who return to Disney, there's one who has never been. And that one knows nothing about discounts, pins, e-mail codes, etc. Disney is the constant. We are the variable. Variables can be interchanged.

I think the most disappointing thing about Disney and this late offerings of GP is the fact that by time they do release a promo, all the lower priced rooms are filled, now add in the decrease in % less than 20% :mad: come on Disney, just puts the resorts many want to stay at "out of reach" for the average joe
even with a discount if you have to book a higher priced room to use the discount.

Unfortunately, Disney is now just any other company. They don't care about the average Joe. As long as exchange rates are good they'll welcome whoever can pay the rates that make them the most money.

Disney World really does have something for every price range. Most people who reserve vacations at the Grand Floridian aren't really worried about the price tag. A discount isn't likely to change their mind about booking.

I'm using the October AP Discount to stay at ASMu. I believe that only POP Century's rooms are cheaper and that is just because of the tax rate being a penny lower.

We stay at the nicer resorts using points, either our own or rented. The mods are the resorts that don't make financial sense to me but do to other people. What is odd is that the point charts go up for weekends not holidays.

Unfortunately, Disney is now just any other company. They don't care about the average Joe. As long as exchange rates are good they'll welcome whoever can pay the rates that make them the most money.

Disney has always been just a company. Yes, they have set the worldwide standard for customer service -- but that's just Disney's product. It's a different way of running a company than the obviously ruthless approach (think Microsoft) but it's still entirely a business decision. I think sometimes people forget that and try to ascribe more personal characteristics to the company. Even the "pixie dust" that CMs give out every day is all part of the magic that Disney corporation is selling. It's nice to make people happy and feel like they're getting something special but Disney doesn't do it to be nice, they do it to make money.

It's funny, I have a friend who hates Disney because of that fake, commercial "caring". In his mind, corporations aren't, and shouldn't be, caring. To pretend otherwise is just marketing. And Disney's so good at that marketing that they've just brainwashed everyone into thinking they are something different.

Me, i'm perfectly happy to "drink the Kool-Aid" and buy into the magic. Especially when i'm in the World. But when i'm making decisions, I do it with my eyes open and try not to forget that what's best for Disney is not always what's best for me.

Disney has always been just a company. Yes, they have set the worldwide standard for customer service -- but that's just Disney's product. It's a different way of running a company than the obviously ruthless approach (think Microsoft) but it's still entirely a business decision. I think sometimes people forget that and try to ascribe more personal characteristics to the company. Even the "pixie dust" that CMs give out every day is all part of the magic that Disney corporation is selling. It's nice to make people happy and feel like they're getting something special but Disney doesn't do it to be nice, they do it to make money.

In years past though, Disney was for profit but didn't seek to maximize the profits like they do now. You can see that in the decline in services and level of service through out the parks.

Well, until this board and looking around at the Disneyworld site, I wouldn't have necessarily thought there were "deals," pin codes and the like. I thought, definitely, there were "seasons" just like other venues. I chose our dates based only on our preferences of less heat & Food and Wine. I booked 10 months in advance with AAA getting their "discount" which isn't huge. I decided I was going to take a trip to WDW.

I researched approximately what it would cost looking at brochures, etc and made a goal/plan. I knew I didn't want to spend what it would cost to stay at GF or Contemporary. It would be great, but I wouldn't pay that, period.

I planned this trip as I have for our other vacations. I never make a plan in the hopes of getting a future "deal" because I feel that is setting myself up for disappointment. I know many have been to Disney numerous times and return every year. That isn't probably what will happen with us. If I was a yearly repeater, I'd want a discount, too.

As luck would have it, we did get FD 2 weeks ago, 8 months after I booked. I wasn't counting on it. I took it because it didn't cost me much more, basically very little. I didn't plan on FD.

I guess I plan the way I do because I know how businesses "do" business. It's always a bottom line, no matter how it is marketed. Clearly, filling rooms becomes an issue when the economy is an issue. It seems with the smaller pin %, that filling rooms, at least for the rest of this year is a near achievement for Disney World.

Ok, finally booked my AP rate at POP for our 1 night stay. Still wishing I had my stuff together and had booked them when they came out and snagged any Epcot resort a 40% off rate! Doubting the GP rate will open up any either...oh well, live and learn.

would you switch from CSR to SS ? that's the only option I have for the canadian offer.......... and actually its gone from the page as of a few minutes ago so I'm baffled

would you switch from CSR to SS ? that's the only option I have for the canadian offer.......... and actually its gone from the page as of a few minutes ago so I'm baffled

There are so few rooms available with this offer. Not a single monorail resort is available for my week so I would guess that SS also had only a few rooms which were scooped up pretty quickly. I'm thinking that FD and AP discounts have all but eliminated the selection for this discount!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter