October 2, 2004 Cruise

adelle

Earning My Ears
My DH and I are taking our dear grandson (DGS?) on the 7 day Eastern Disney Magic cruise. He will be 4 this March 20th. I have been on many cruises, the last several on all-inclusive smaller ships, so I have been out of the large ship loop for quite a while. I have a few questions:

1) My grandson is mature and tall for his age. What if he hits it off better with the 5 and 6 year olds. He will be 4 1/2 at cruise time. I have read that the 3 - 4 year olds are together and the 5 - 6 year olds are together. Is this cast in stone?

2) Is anyone else traveling on the Oct. 2nd cruise with a 3, 4, or 5 year old? I am hoping that Nicholas will make a new "friend" so he will be happy to occasionally use the kids club. He is very big into "friends" right now.

3) What areas of the ship are strictly off-limits for the children? I don't have a brochure yet.

4) Are all sodas, bottled water, juice, expresso, bar drinks, and wine extra? Is there anything to drink that isn't extra?

5) Are there food options that cost extra? I have read that Palo's is $10 extra per person, but what about room service, pizza, ice cream, etc?

6) What are the hours that the kids clubs operate? Can you take the child/children anytime they are open and pick them p at anytime that they are open?

7) Any activites or shows during the 7 day cruise that I should be certain to have Nicholas do, see, participate in that your child really enjoyed or that you know about? Luckily Nicholas is very friendly, he is quite active but usually pretty agreeable about quiet time. He does like movies. He likes compaionship.

Thanks in advance.
adelle

Welcome to the DISboard Adelle!

I'll answer what I can:
1) From what I've read the club ages are not set in stone. I would assume as long as it isn't too crowded, he should be able to move up.

3) There is a kids pool, a family pool and then the adults pool. Obviously the adults pool is off limits. As is Palo's. Then, as would be expected, some of the nightclubs after hours.

4) The buffet will have drink stations that offer water, tea, fruit juice (not sure what kind) and coffee. Soda is served in the restaurants during dining hours at no charge.

5) Room service is free of charge and 24 hours. There is also Pinocchio's Pizzeria, Scoops Ice Cream and Pluto's Dog House which I believe serves hot dogs & burgers and such.

7) Take a look at Dave's website. There is a link for the Kid's Navigator (newletter), it will give you an idea for what is available for Nicholas.

Hope this helps for starters.

Hi Adele:
1. The Oceaneer's Club has kids from 3-7. They are basically in the same space, divided into smaller groups of 3-4 and 5-7. Basically, the age groups are set in stone. The exceptions are that if a child is within 30 days of the next birthday, he/she can move up to the next group. The age groups are very appropriate, and within the 3-4 group, there will be several smaller groups(each with a counsellor). These will be called things like the Simba group, the Pinocchio group, etc....but are basically arranged to manage the kids better and keep similar maturities together. A 4 1/2 year old really wouldn't fit in the 5-7 group as the maturity difference between 4 1/2 and 7 1/2 is huge.

2. There is a section of the boards called "cruise meets." Post there, and someone else who is sailing with children will likely get back with you.

3. The strictly adults only areas are the adult pool and hot tub, the spa, Palo, and the nightclubs after 9. Also, the piano bar (Sessions) at all times. Note that there are 2 children's/family pools, a family hot tub...the nightclubs have family shows before 9 pm., etc.

4. Sodas in the dining rooms are free. There is milk, hot chocolate, coffee, tea, iced tea, fruit punch, lemonade, fruit juices all available at no charge 24/7. Most of the time, these are available on deck 9 (as well as in the dining rooms and from room service.) After deck 9 hours (late at night), you can get them from room service.

5. The only food that costs extra is the $10 service charge at Palo. Ice cream, pizza, burgers, etc. on deck 9 are included at no additional charge as is room service. It is nice to tip the room service guy $1-2 per order, but not required.

6. The Oceaneer's club operates basically from 9 am till midnight. THere are a couple nights it stays open till 1 am. You can drop off and pick up any time you'd like, and as many times a day as you'd like. Each family is issued an alphanumeric pager so that if your child wants/needs you, you will get a message that says "Tommy would like to be picked up now" or "Susie just wants to say hi to mommy."

7. There will be 8-12 movies on the ship, some suitable for all ages levels. In addition, there is a TV channel that runs classic Disney movies 24 hours a day. The Island Magic show is especially designed for kids. The other production shows are great, but designed for all ages rather than specifically geared to young children. Tea with Wendy is fun, and 2 little boys are chosen to play Wendy's brothers. There are character meet and greets all the time, a character breakfast, and tons of kids to play with. He'll have a blast....
Kathryn

Thank you to both Kathryn and Mike for such wonderful, detailed answers so quickly!! I know we will have a great time!
adelle

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter