O'CanaDis! Calling all Canucks for DLR tips

I received my CityPass from Costco.ca! Ordered in the morning and received the next afternoon. Very relived that they were shipped in the same city as me.

One question, should I go with LuxBus America or Gray Line Anaheim for my bus ride to Universal?

I've used Gray Line the last two times I was in Anaheim and service was no problem. Both LuxBus and GL are the same price at $30 round trip.

Any personal experiences?

Hi all! I've read through this thread and I have a few questions. A caveat first: I've asked a travel agent to check in to prices for me, so naturally I'd like to go with the lowest price option.

Situation: 2 adults (one of whom isn't a big Disfan), 2 kids (1 considered an 'adult' at DL) who will be celebrating their birthdays two days apart.

Time: we're going from Oct 4-9 this year.

Place: we're hitting DLR and want to stay at PPH, concierge level.

Questions: What's the least expensive option to get off the rock? Drive to Seattle? Don't really want to if we can avoid it. Once we include hotel room and gas and ferry (any ferry) I have a feeling we won't save as much as we should.

How do I get an Alaska card? Every single link I've tried is no longer working. Maybe it's a sign from above?

Will getting a 4day PH for the price of a 3 (which would be optimum) from Ares travel be better than going through Flight Centre?

Are the snacks at PPH decent enough for a lunch, or should I add that cost into my budget and buy at VON's (or nearby) and fill the fridge? My Hubby can eat a lot for lunch and he's a growler if he's not full throughout the day.

Yes, I have airmiles, but not enough for passes. Yes, I have Save On More Rewards, but not enough for passes. Unless I super-shop there every day and build up the points...

I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks for the assistance!

[QUOTE="Canadian Place: we're hitting DLR and want to stay at PPH, concierge level. Questions: Are the snacks at PPH decent enough for a lunch, or should I add that cost into my budget and buy at VON's (or nearby) and fill the fridge? My Hubby can eat a lot for lunch and he's a growler if he's not full throughout the day. ![/QUOTE]

We just stayed pph concierge last week. I would say the snacks are not big enough for lunch if you are a big eater. Cause they are really just snacks. We had a decent sized breakfast oatmeal/cereal bagels and fruit. We also stayed in the park for a late lunch early supper as we were back in the room fairly early 7pm (2 and 4 year olds) so we had the snacks and dessert in the evening and that worked for us.

Hi all! I've read through this thread and I have a few questions. A caveat first: I've asked a travel agent to check in to prices for me, so naturally I'd like to go with the lowest price option.

Situation: 2 adults (one of whom isn't a big Disfan), 2 kids (1 considered an 'adult' at DL) who will be celebrating their birthdays two days apart.

Questions: What's the least expensive option to get off the rock? Drive to Seattle? Don't really want to if we can avoid it. Once we include hotel room and gas and ferry (any ferry) I have a feeling we won't save as much as we should.

How do I get an Alaska card? Every single link I've tried is no longer working. Maybe it's a sign from above?

Will getting a 4day PH for the price of a 3 (which would be optimum) from Ares travel be better than going through Flight Centre?

Are the snacks at PPH decent enough for a lunch, or should I add that cost into my budget and buy at VON's (or nearby) and fill the fridge? My Hubby can eat a lot for lunch and he's a growler if he's not full throughout the day.

Yes, I have airmiles, but not enough for passes. Yes, I have Save On More Rewards, but not enough for passes. Unless I super-shop there every day and build up the points...

Oh yes, the eternal question of getting of our paradise of an island!

We've done this trip now 6 times with a 7th trip in 14 days and each time I have run the numbers to see which is a better deal. (With the exception of our first trip, I used a travel agent and just went with their recommendation.)

There are, as you know,a number of different ways to skin this cat.
1. Fly from YYJ
2. take the Clipper and fly from SEA
3. take the Coho and fly from SEA (with car)
4. take the BC ferry and fly from YVR (with car)
5. take the BC ferry and fly from BLI (with car)
6. take the BC ferry and fly from SEA (with car)
7. take the ferry from Sidney and fly from BLI (with car)
8. take the ferry from Sidney and fly from SEA (with car)

We've done #1, 2 and 6 but it has all depended on what kind of price I can find for the YYJ-SNA route. If I can find a decent price, we fly from YYJ. I've priced out the Coho, BC ferry and the one from Sidney and to be honest, they are all around the same cost, give or take a few $. The Clipper is an interesting one since you do need to worry about your car and kids are a lot less than adults. The downside to the Clipper is that you have to get from where it docks to the airport and then back and also the times will not work for flights unless you either stay overnight each way in Seattle or you catch a really late flight on your way there. In fact, looking at the schedule on their website shows that you will have to overnight in Seattle each direction but that can still be less expensive than flying from YYJ!

This might sound totally over analyzing but I always make a spreadsheet and do a straight cost comparison.

Flights + Ferry + extra hotel + taxi + extra meals = total cost of travel.

Then it is as simple as which is more. Then I look at the cost difference and see if the extra hassle (more time off work, driving, what if you miss a ferry?) and see if the savings makes it worthwhile to fly from somewhere other than YYJ.

Sometimes is has been and other times it has not.

The DL tickets can really depend on a few things, our exchange rate is the biggest one. Since you are not going until October, you have plenty of time to try and save more Airmiles and maybe get enough before you leave, especially now since Thrifty Foods gives Airmiles. (Nothing like the amazing number you could get from Safeway but still not bad.)

You can also check out the prices for the tickets by going through Ebates.ca to get to Orbitz and earn cash back. I did that recently and was able to get 5 days for the price of 4 and earned 7.5% cash back. (send me a pm if you don't use ebates yet and want more info on it.)

Just a quick note about AirMiles, and airlines that one can use from YEG to LAX.

I booked a trip for the end of February using just AirMiles for our return flights.

American Airlines now has a direct flight from YEG to LAX as well as return from LAX to YEG.

The plane they use is the newest Canadair Regional Jet 900. Recommended seating is before the wings on these aircraft as the engine noise near the rear can be significant.

Now, using AirMiles, I booked return flights for 4626 miles via AA plus $285 in fees/taxes, however, if I used Westjet (my preferred Canadian airline) that exact same trip was 6800 AirMiles and the fees/taxes were well over $300.

Oh as for the Disney park passes, I got mine from Flight Centre. Something to note is that the price you find online in the evening may not necessarily be the price you pay the following morning.

For example, I was researching 3 day Park Hopper passes for myself (adult) and my DD (child) and found them for $596.00 at Flight Centre the evening I was pricing the different options, but, when I went in to the closest location the next morning so I could pay by debit, the price increased to $605.

So be aware the price can change overnight.

Also, if you have AirMiles as well as a Best Western Membership card, you can get 60 AirMiles for each accommodation between now and the end of March. Register with Best Western and when you check in, present the card that you will print off (the plastic card will be sent to you after your first stay once registered)

Just a couple of things I wanted to share.

Oh yes, the eternal question of getting of our paradise of an island!

We've done this trip now 6 times with a 7th trip in 14 days and each time I have run the numbers to see which is a better deal. (With the exception of our first trip, I used a travel agent and just went with their recommendation.)

There are, as you know,a number of different ways to skin this cat.
1. Fly from YYJ
2. take the Clipper and fly from SEA
3. take the Coho and fly from SEA (with car)
4. take the BC ferry and fly from YVR (with car)
5. take the BC ferry and fly from BLI (with car)
6. take the BC ferry and fly from SEA (with car)
7. take the ferry from Sidney and fly from BLI (with car)
8. take the ferry from Sidney and fly from SEA (with car)

We've done #1, 2 and 6 but it has all depended on what kind of price I can find for the YYJ-SNA route. If I can find a decent price, we fly from YYJ. I've priced out the Coho, BC ferry and the one from Sidney and to be honest, they are all around the same cost, give or take a few $. The Clipper is an interesting one since you do need to worry about your car and kids are a lot less than adults. The downside to the Clipper is that you have to get from where it docks to the airport and then back and also the times will not work for flights unless you either stay overnight each way in Seattle or you catch a really late flight on your way there. In fact, looking at the schedule on their website shows that you will have to overnight in Seattle each direction but that can still be less expensive than flying from YYJ!

This might sound totally over analyzing but I always make a spreadsheet and do a straight cost comparison.

Flights + Ferry + extra hotel + taxi + extra meals = total cost of travel.

Then it is as simple as which is more. Then I look at the cost difference and see if the extra hassle (more time off work, driving, what if you miss a ferry?) and see if the savings makes it worthwhile to fly from somewhere other than YYJ.

Sometimes is has been and other times it has not.

The DL tickets can really depend on a few things, our exchange rate is the biggest one. Since you are not going until October, you have plenty of time to try and save more Airmiles and maybe get enough before you leave, especially now since Thrifty Foods gives Airmiles. (Nothing like the amazing number you could get from Safeway but still not bad.)

You can also check out the prices for the tickets by going through Ebates.ca to get to Orbitz and earn cash back. I did that recently and was able to get 5 days for the price of 4 and earned 7.5% cash back. (send me a pm if you don't use ebates yet and want more info on it.)

You're awesome :love:

I'm seriously considering shopping at Thrify's (which isn't ;)) and SoF just to buy stuff that's marked with extra points and donating what I don't want to the food bank, just to get points quicker.

I've heard of Ebates, but I haven't used them. I try not to shop online too much, especially now we're saving up for the trip.

With two kids and 2 bags each, I think the Clipper would be too much hassle.

I'm not a BCAA member yet, and until the end of March they have a deal for joining. Would it be worth joining to get the travel deals through them? It's $99 for two basic memberships.

Here's one that may have been mentioned:
When ordering VONS delivery online you will be asked for a zip code. I used the numbers in my postal code and filled the rest with 0s. The order went through. I'll confirm that we actually got our food when we return from the trip!

Aladora, great job with all the options from our lovely island! :)

So with that, we LOVE the Alaska card! The bonus miles are great and so is the companion fare. And the miles sure add up when you use it for everyday purchases! I use it at Thrifty's with my Airmiles card, so get to double-dip :)

Last edited:
Last edited:

We live in Kelowna and got 2 Alaska Air MasterCard's so that we can get the $99 companion fares for our kids. We always drive to Seattle and fly from there as it is less expensive than flying from Kelowna to Seattle.

Here is the link to the MBNA (Toronto Dominion) Alaska MasterCard.

https://apply.mbna.ca/applicationform/generateApplicationForm.htm?src=CPYW01&locale=en_CA

Good Luck:thumbsup2

re: Passes, my friend and I bought our tickets through the Entertainment book. We got four days (non-hopper) for less than 3 would have been through Disneyland's website.

Forgot the link to the card! https://apply.mbna.ca/applicationform/generateApplicationForm.htm?src=CPYY01&locale=en_CA

If you do get the card, you might want to consider signing up all your family members for a Mileage Plan number so they can get credit for their miles flown. Even kids can have a Mileage Plan number, you just have to sign them up by calling the 1-800 number if they are under 12 (it was super easy).

You are going at my favourite time of year! In fact, we come home the day before you leave :)

Yes definitely sign everyone up for their own Alaska Air mileage card to collect their miles.......its FREE so why not:cool1:

Thank you! Yes, both the both kids are under 12. What will them having a mileage card do?
They'll get credit for their miles flown, if flying on a purchased ticket (ie not booked on award miles). For example, If you are the one paying for the tickets with your credit card, you get the miles on the dollar value of the entire purchase, but can only get miles for the miles flown for yourself. If they have a mileage plan number, they will get their own actual miles. I think YYJ - SNA return is just over 2000 miles. So depending on how much you fly, it can add up. I think there is an option to transfer miles as well, for a fee. While miles don't expire, I think there needs to be some activity in a 2 year period for the account to remain active. Anyway, something to consider if the little ones might be frequent flyers :)

Does anyone know if the Costco package deals are generally at certain times of the year or completely random? We are planning to go Dec 24-29 this year and right now Costco and the Disney website are exactly the same price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter