Obnoxious Question - Maybe?

Why on earth would I want to drink double? Sounds like a great way to get sloshed, I don't like being drunk.
Besides I'm a far bigger shopper than she is.

Pay up and she goes with you, you drink double
You go alone and she goes shopping and spends the $ that it would have cost for a ticket.

Why on earth would I want to drink double? Sounds like a great way to get sloshed, I don't like being drunk.
Then I would consider what tasting you will do or even if to do one. From my experience most leave a tasting a bit on the tipsy side. tasting are a known thing for drinkers to be a cost effective way of getting a buzz while sailing.

You wouldnt necessarily be drinking double but you might get more of the drinks you like. At my martini tasting I would have gladly had a second of a couple where as I couldnt give away a couple of them fast enough. Plus they will let you leave with drinks so you dont need to consume everything during the tasting time.

Then I would consider what tasting you will do or even if to do one. From my experience most leave a tasting a bit on the tipsy side. tasting are a known thing for drinkers to be a cost effective way of getting a buzz while sailing.

Personally I wouldn't call it a cost effective way... your paying for partial drinks. I would say you maybe get the equivalent of 1.5 drinks maybe 2. It is a fun way to try different drinks though.

And I am not a big drinker and the only time I got really tipsy was mixology when the lady next to me "wasn't feeling it" that day and gave me half her drinks.

If you and your wife enjoy each other's company and you feel she would be more comfortable being with you while you drink (no judgement), then why are you concerned about whether she will get value out of her ticket? Buy her the ticket and go together. If she wants to give you (or someone else) her drinks, then that's for her to decide. Otherwise, just look at the cost as the price of entry, with the drinks as an included bonus, instead of the cost being for the drinking.

It sounds like you might have a better time with her there, anyway. You can tell her what they taste like or what you hate and like. Later, you can talk about the presentations and the people. You'll have a shared experience.

Tipsy and sloshed are very different things.
I don't mind a bit of a buzz - I mind being rip roaring toasted.

See, she doesn't drink any kind of alcohol - ever. Long story - the kind that involves a troubling childhood I will spare you the details of. So, obviously if I do a tasting she wants to come with me because - as I said we hate to be apart if we dont have to be. BUT we wont want to pay for a tasting for her because she wont drink ANYTHING, not even sipping off mine or anything of that nature.

The only thing I found obnoxious was you explaining why she doesn’t drink. That’s not a shot at you, but more sad that you feel obliged to make excuses for her... Like she is a freak of some kind.

My girlfriend is a wine connoisseur and I don’t drink at all. I look for wineries on every vacation so she can do tastings. I still enjoy taking the tours and learning about the wines themselves.

I can’t speak for the cruise line but if it is just a tasting (no tour or souvenir glass), I am allowed to sit and watch for free. I am often offered free soda.

On dry land, the idea of a designated driver is common. I assume wineries often accommodate a non-drinker.

Also keep in mind that at a proper wine tasting, EVERYONE is supposed to spit out the wine. So, she could participate and would not look out of place if she didn’t consume the wine itself.

There really should be more to a tasting than just pouring glass after glass to drink. Otherwise, you’re just at a bar.

Last edited:
I don't think she's a freak, but surely you've been on the odd end of our society's reaction to adults who don't drink? Seeing as how you yourself don't drink? I've lost track of the amount of **** we've gotten for drinking soda or water in a bar (The only place to see drag shows around here is a bar).

The only thing I found obnoxious was you explaining why she doesn’t drink. That’s not a shot at you, but more sad that you feel obliged to make excuses for her... Like she is a freak of some kind.

So, I know it's nauseating, but my wife and I are the type of couple who hates spending time apart... which I think may be a problem for us if I want to do a tasting. See, she doesn't drink any kind of alcohol - ever. Long story - the kind that involves a troubling childhood I will spare you the details of. So, obviously if I do a tasting she wants to come with me because - as I said we hate to be apart if we dont have to be. BUT we wont want to pay for a tasting for her because she wont drink ANYTHING, not even sipping off mine or anything of that nature. Would it be possible for her to sit with me - but not pay, and not partake of the drinking?

I totally get the “can't live without each other” part as DW and I spend most of our time together as well. I'm glad you raised the topic, as my wife doesn't drink too much beer or liquor and I was interested in some of these tastings. We settled on trying to get her a massage while I plan to go the tasting but it's always nice to know that maybe she can find a seat in the back if she wants to hang out with me, thanks to everyone that suggested that!

On the other hand, while we do spend of our time together, it will absolutely not be a problem of us if we're separated for a few hours. As it looks like this is much more important for you, maybe one tip would be to book two tickets for the Chocolate and Liquor Tasting: she will be guaranteed to be staying with you, and on the plus side she'd have some chocolate to enjoy. And you can always take the extra glasses back to your stateroom for future enjoyment during your cruise.

I've lost track of the amount of **** we've gotten for drinking soda or water in a bar (The only place to see drag shows around here is a bar).

Short answer is yes, but in a world of gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, lactose intolerance, etc... alcohol free is certainly more common and acceptable.

It’s just that explaining she doesn’t drink and why was literally the second sentence on your own posting from scratch. You felt the peer pressure before anyone even had a chance to apply it. 😢

And regarding the specific scenario above, I can’t even imagine the hypocrisy of... how did you say?... ‘feeling at the odd end of society’... while at a drag show.

If any group should be accepting of people’s life choices, it should be the trans/drag community.

I can’t promise I would have done any different but rather than explain why I don’t drink at a drag bar, I like to think I would have given them a piece of my mind. LOL

I don't think she's a freak, but surely you've been on the odd end of our society's reaction to adults who don't drink? Seeing as how you yourself don't drink? I've lost track of the amount of **** we've gotten for drinking soda or water in a bar (The only place to see drag shows around here is a bar).

Anyways... and again, not a shot at you in any negative way.

Don’t worry about being “obnoxious” and certainly don’t apologize for wanting to experience something together regardless of the reason.

The worst possible thing I see is Disney charging your wife full price to attend the wine tasting even though she won’t drink. Now, that would be annoying and I can see it being a policy.

I've been married 26 years and no way would I want we he has.

Agree (though I think the OP is female also). My parents have been married 52 years (53 in June), and a big part of the reason is that while they love each other very much, they have allowed each to be their own person and have alone time and their own interests. They themselves have said if they had to be together 24/7 it would have been WAY too much. (It's carried over into family vacations as my sister and I have gotten older - we have things that we agree to do together (dinners on cruises, for example), but we are each allowed to pick our own excursions and activities and not made to feel bad about wanting/needing our own time.)

Which tasting will you be doing? Some of the bars are large enough where your wife can be in the bar but separate from the group of people doing the tasting

There should be room in the back for your wife to sit. Just don't expect her to sit with you

For what you're spending on the vacation I'd just pay for a slot and eat the chocolate without the liquor. Sometimes the gymnastics you have to go through to save a few bucks is not worth it.

When I'm in vacation I just consider whatever I pay to be the sunk cost of having vacation the way I want it without trying to wring every dime of value out of it. It's not remotely a zero sum game at Disney anyway, it's just a matter of degree. I just paid adult pricing for my 11 year old for a dessert party including alcohol. I choose not to worry about whether the few extra $$ of value of the most recent price hike can be gained without booze... It was already I overpriced anyway. I had gastric sleeve surgery and can't remotely get food value out of buffets but I do them anyway for the experience.

If it's an experience you want to do and you must do it together just consider the total cost for two and enjoy it your way. The chocolate is by all reviews super high quality. I'm doing this on my cruise in, about 10 days, looking forward to it!

DH does not drink at all, hasn't in 40 years, no one has ever made an issue of it. We have never had anyone look sideways at us for it. Are you sure it's not something your reading into it? I'm not saying this negatively, just wanting to make sure it's not something your projecting onto the issue. Why would anyone care if someone drinks soda especially in this day of DD's? Anyways, and again, not meant to be negative, just a thought.

Agree (though I think the OP is female also). My parents have been married 52 years (53 in June), and a big part of the reason is that while they love each other very much, they have allowed each to be their own person and have alone time and their own interests. They themselves have said if they had to be together 24/7 it would have been WAY too much. (It's carried over into family vacations as my sister and I have gotten older - we have things that we agree to do together (dinners on cruises, for example), but we are each allowed to pick our own excursions and activities and not made to feel bad about wanting/needing our own time.)
All of this is so true! We have been married for 46 years, married very young, and your listings are the very reason we are still married today. I love being with DH and he with me but if we were joined at the hip I'm not sure how long that would last. Being with someone 24/7 sounds like a trust issue to me. Either that or a huge insecurity with oneself. Either way I'm glad we are not that way, it allows us both to grow......apart and together.

As for the tastings, getting back to the topic at hand, if I recall right the place settings are already to go when you get to your tasting so having your wife sit beside you could mean that the bartender would have to move things around. That could be an issue. I do know that they will allow people to sit in the back and read/watch but not be part of the group itself. Would your wife be okay if she had to sit behind you a ways? Same room just different seating? That may be your only choice but YMMV.

Thanks, but no it's not trusted issues.
Given my own personal experience, and from talking to straight couples I know, as well as same-sex couples that I know, I think it might be a gay vs straight thing. All of the straight couples I know need that time apart because their differently gendered partner makes them nuts after a while - - and all the gay couples I know (Mostly other lesbians) - are happy to be with each other all the time. I mean a night out with the girls for us, is still a night out with each other (and friends).

We're each other's best friend and EVERYTHING is just better when we're together. Now that said, we spend every night together on separate computers - doing our own thing - just in the same room where we can talk to each other if we find something online, we want to share. We don't leave the house without each other though... well except obviously when she goes to work.

But hey, thanks for the judgment.

All of this is so true! We have been married for 46 years, married very young, and your listings are the very reason we are still married today. I love being with DH and he with me but if we were joined at the hip I'm not sure how long that would last. Being with someone 24/7 sounds like a trust issue to me. Either that or a huge insecurity with oneself. Either way I'm glad we are not that way, it allows us both to grow......apart and together.

As for the tastings, getting back to the topic at hand, if I recall right the place settings are already to go when you get to your tasting so having your wife sit beside you could mean that the bartender would have to move things around. That could be an issue. I do know that they will allow people to sit in the back and read/watch but not be part of the group itself. Would your wife be okay if she had to sit behind you a ways? Same room just different seating? That may be your only choice but YMMV.

Thanks, but no it's not trusted issues.
Given my own personal experience, and from talking to straight couples I know, as well as same-sex couples that I know, I think it might be a gay vs straight thing. All of the straight couples I know need that time apart because their differently gendered partner makes them nuts after a while - - and all the gay couples I know (Mostly other lesbians) - are happy to be with each other all the time. I mean a night out with the girls for us, is still a night out with each other (and friends).

We're each other's best friend and EVERYTHING is just better when we're together. Now that said, we spend every night together on separate computers - doing our own thing - just in the same room where we can talk to each other if we find something online, we want to share. We don't leave the house without each other though... well except obviously when she goes to work.

But hey, thanks for the judgment.
OMG, I did not mean to make that judgmental and I'm sorry if it sounds that way. It was just an observation as to what might be an issue. I certainly did not know you were a same-sex couple but that has nothing to do with my comments. I don't know either you or your wife so I would could not possibly say that is why your situation is that way. It's was just a thought as to why some may feel the need to be together 24/7. I've seen it in a few of our friends including couples who are no longer together. It wouldn't work for us but that does not mean it won't work for you.
Again, sorry if you took this personally. It was not meant to be. :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter