NY Marathon

Did you find the process of submitting your run and everything okay after that?
Yes - they require that you use Strava and make your race public, so it is a no-brainer. Use a device that syncs with Strava to record your runs before the race so you know exactly what to expect. They pull your Virtual Race results directly from Strava. You have to mark it as a race, but that is also easy.

I’m trying to decide whether to try this or not. I’m running Chicago like 3 weeks prior and not all that excited about 26.2 twice that close together but really want to do NY again. I think ther is a 6:30 time requirement so I guess I could do a lot of walking.

Last year it was full in a few minutes. I got in, but I was clicking the link steadily before registrations opened, and I was the 42 entry.

I thought last year it was actually open for a couple hours becaUse I remember contemplating with myself. I also think last year the virtual race was announced the same day as sign ups though so it came out of the blue. This year everyone has been waiting for it.

Wonder if the better strategy is to commit to the $500 fund raising

I thought last year it was actually open for a couple hours becaUse I remember contemplating with myself. I also think last year the virtual race was announced the same day as sign ups though so it came out of the blue. This year everyone has been waiting for it.

Wonder if the better strategy is to commit to the $500 fund raising

It may be. If you're going to put in a lot of money for this, at least it's going to something good. Plus reducing the stress of the virtual race.

It may be. If you're going to put in a lot of money for this, at least it's going to something good. Plus reducing the stress of the virtual race.

The $500 fundraising still requires the virtual 26.2. Just feels like the entries may not go quite as quickly and saves some money from the normal $2600 fundraising commitment

Thanks for the info! I have been waiting for this. I am planning on a local marathon on November 3, same day as NYC so I'd love to get in. Time to put a reminder on my calendar.

Going to try for this today. Anyone know if they will have some kind of virtual queue system when it opens up at noon?

I got in. I’ve entered the lottery 3 years and never got in. Wasn’t planning a full this year, but NYC is worth it!

It's definitely worth it, I'm running Chicago and that is three weeks prior to having to do the virtual so it would just be too much. Plus the wife give me the look when i floated out the idea of doing NYC is 2020 given the training commitments the marathon entails.

It's definitely worth it, I'm running Chicago and that is three weeks prior to having to do the virtual so it would just be too much. Plus the wife give me the look when i floated out the idea of doing NYC is 2020 given the training commitments the marathon entails.
I’m not planning on “racing” the virtual. I have friends that will run/walk with me. Trying to get faster and focus on the half this fall. Just couldn’t pass this opportunity up.

I’m not planning on “racing” the virtual. I have friends that will run/walk with me. Trying to get faster and focus on the half this fall. Just couldn’t pass this opportunity up.
I ran Chicago last year. It’s a blast!!

Definitely i think you have 6:30 to finish. I would just take your time and make sure it works out with Strava. I ran NYC in 2016 and excited to compare NY an Chicago in terms of the experience.

1) Whoever got their VIRTUAL confirmation - does it say "TCS New York City Marathon - Virtual 26.2M (2020 Entry)" ??

2) When you check your nyrr.org dashboard, do you still see this Virtual race listed in your upcoming events? It initially was in my list and I took a screenshot at home, but when I check again from work, it no longer showed up in my events at all - my receipt is still accessible on the site, but not the race in the upcoming events. I'm confused.

1) Whoever got their VIRTUAL confirmation - does it say "TCS New York City Marathon - Virtual 26.2M (2020 Entry)" ??

2) When you check your nyrr.org dashboard, do you still see this Virtual race listed in your upcoming events? It initially was in my list and I took a screenshot at home, but when I check again from work, it no longer showed up in my events at all - my receipt is still accessible on the site, but not the race in the upcoming events. I'm confused.

Hmmmm mine doesn’t show on nyrr site either. But it does on strava??

For those who missed out on the virtual, New Balance still has bibs for 10,000 points. That's a $1000 spend that goes to your account - buy in a store, points post immediately, and you can redeem. Bib is for 2019. Can be transferred but not deferred. :)

Hmmmm mine doesn’t show on nyrr site either. But it does on strava??

What do you mean "it does on strava" I don't see anything on strava regarding this race - I'm saying it shows up in my receipts on the nyrr.org site, that's about it

EDIT: I do see it as a notification on my Strava that I joined the event.

Last edited:
Apparently, this is happening to others - i.e. registered, paid, credit card charged, got receipt, was in dashboard initially and now has disappeared from our dashboards as an upcoming race - so we are confused as to our actual status

Last edited:
For those who missed out on the virtual, New Balance still has bibs for 10,000 points. That's a $1000 spend that goes to your account - buy in a store, points post immediately, and you can redeem. Bib is for 2019. Can be transferred but not deferred. :)

Does the 10,000 points cover the cost of the bib too? If so that is an awesome deal. Especially if you wear new balance

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!