Nut allergy help

drgreene1096

Mouseketeer
My daughter's 10th birthday is on Friday. I want to take treats to school for her. Our school is still pretty lax on what we can bring in. For instance, we can still bake from scratch and bring in as long as we don't try to designate special treats for individual kids.

Last year, I took ice cream sanwiches, capri suns, and treat bags with candy in them for her birthday.

This year, I was planning on pretty much the same. Dilly bars from our local DQ are on sale, buy 6 get 6 free, so I was thinking about those (even though I really don't know what a dilly bar is .... so that may change)

We do have a little girl with a nut allergy. We have not been given any instructions as far as what we can/can not do. We actually have not been told officially that their is a nut allergy in the room. My daughter says she just can't put the nuts in her mouth.

So, what do I take as far as treats for halloween, christmas, easter, etc.? I always make up huge treat bags for every holiday party. I wouldn't mind making a special bag for the little girl who has the allergy, but I don't want her to feel bad...HELP!

Thanks,

Danielle

Dilly bars are the DQ's version of a Mickey bar. They are ice cream bars covered in either chocolate or other flavor coating. Very good!

If you haven't been told anything specific I would send in what you were going to and let the teacher or girl decide.

As far as treat bags I would stay away from things with nuts and send labeled things and let her or the teacher or her parents decide what she can have.

Here's my take as a parent of children with a food allergy which are not severe enough to request any restrictions in the classroom but are severe enough that they can not ingest even trace amounts of the foods. I always made sure that there were treats in the classroom for my kids for when parents sent in goodies for the classroom. I never expected parents to send in anything that my kids could eat. I did ask that teachers at the beginning of the school year ask that parents give at least a day's notice that treats would be sent in and possibly even notification of what that treat would be so that I could send in a safe alternative that would be similar so that my kids wouldn't feel left out. I saw the note that went home every year. I don't think I got notified even once in all the years my kids were in elementary school. I would have been thrilled just to have been notified that you're sending in such a treat. This would have allowed me to send in an ice cream sundae for my kids as an alternative so that my kids also got ice cream (teachers would put it in the freezer for me until everybody's being served so that it would last until then; I'd just make sure the teachers were aware it was coming in). When I didn't know about the treats coming in, my kids got something out of the box of shelf stable treats that I had left with the teacher. Basically, they got something from this box for every child's birthday. Scheduled class parties at least the teacher would inform me so I could send in something closer to what everybody else got.

First, let me say thank you for caring enough about what you send in. My dd has a nut allergy and usually never gets to have what is brought in for parties. We have a box of "safe" treats that are left at school for her to grab from when a birthday is celebrated. If you are wanting to send in a goody bag of treats, stick with the wrapped, store bought stuff where ingredients can be read. Or name brand candies if you want to buy a big candy bag where the individual candies are not labeled. You may want to stay away from chocolate candies since many of those either contain or may contain nuts. We usually stick with Skittles, Starburst, Lollipops, Jolly Ranchers, etc.

First, let me say thank you for caring enough about what you send in. My dd has a nut allergy and usually never gets to have what is brought in for parties. We have a box of "safe" treats that are left at school for her to grab from when a birthday is celebrated. If you are wanting to send in a goody bag of treats, stick with the wrapped, store bought stuff where ingredients can be read. Or name brand candies if you want to buy a big candy bag where the individual candies are not labeled. You may want to stay away from chocolate candies since many of those either contain or may contain nuts. We usually stick with Skittles, Starburst, Lollipops, Jolly Ranchers, etc.

I agree with this. My dd has a peanut allergy, but there are lots of Halloween sized chocolate bars/candies labeled peanut free. try to bring these. Ice cream tends to be a big fat no no as they all seem to be 'may contain peanuts/tree nuts.' In Canada, we have one brand that has a dedicated nut free plant. It's called Chapmans. Don't know if you have anything like that in the States. It's the only ice cream we can eat. there is also a brand of candies, cupcakes and cookies called 'Divvies' that are nut free, egg free, gluten free and dairy free. They are widely available in the states and are delicious. I have them shipped specially to Canada. If you stick to these ideas, everyone will be able to have fun and no one will need a 'special' bag of treat.

We do have a little girl with a nut allergy. We have not been given any instructions as far as what we can/can not do. We actually have not been told officially that their is a nut allergy in the room. My daughter says she just can't put the nuts in her mouth.

Why not send a note in to the teacher telling her you are planning on sending in treats on Friday to celebrate your DD's birthday and ask if anyone is allergic to anything? This would allow the teacher to send a note home with the student with the allergy and ask her parents for more information - like what nuts she is allergic to. Maybe she can eat certain kinds of nuts and not others so ice cream might not be out of the question.

My DS 11 is allergic to peanuts but not to any other kind of nuts.

I hope you come up with a good solution. My birthday is Friday too! :)

How kind of you to think about this child. It soooo depends on the child and the allergy. My DS is peanut allergy and in a regular kindergarten classroom. We all got a letter asking that parents not to send peanut items to school but as the "peanut expert" I know that is not enough to protect my child. I however, do not expect other parents to understand or go out of their way though it is REALLY special for my child when they do. We keep nice bakery cupcakes and safe candy at school at all times.
What I would do if you want to go the extra mile: e-mail the teacher and ask her to have the allergy child's parent to call you. Doubt she can give you her number so this may work best. Ask that mom, what is ok for her child to have and try your best to make it work. It really does mean a lot to the child to be included.

How kind of you to think about this child. It soooo depends on the child and the allergy. My DS is peanut allergy and in a regular kindergarten classroom. We all got a letter asking that parents not to send peanut items to school but as the "peanut expert" I know that is not enough to protect my child. I however, do not expect other parents to understand or go out of their way though it is REALLY special for my child when they do. We keep nice bakery cupcakes and safe candy at school at all times.
What I would do if you want to go the extra mile: e-mail the teacher and ask her to have the allergy child's parent to call you. Doubt she can give you her number so this may work best. Ask that mom, what is ok for her child to have and try your best to make it work. It really does mean a lot to the child to be included.

This is our family too. We don't ever expect someone to make sure our child is safe or has safe snacks. That is our responsibility. But it is HUGE for DS (and us as parents) when others go out of their way to make sure DS is included. Like..."make a mama weep in front of everyone" big deal, because it brings such a huge smile to the face of a kiddo that gets left out most of the time. (He's allergic to eggs, dairy, nuts and soy--so there aren't tons of options.)

I would LOVE for a parent to call me and ask what would be safe for DS--though our standard answer is "smarties and dum-dums." They are top 8 free--(free of the most common allergies)--and mainly sugar.:rotfl: The teacher might even have a list of foods the child can eat.

I think it is extremely compassionate for you to want to include this dear child. And will teach your child that same compassion by trying to include everyone. I can only hope that the parents in my DS's kindy class next year want to pass on the same legacy to their children, that you will be passing on to your children.

At my son's school, if we are going to send in a treat, we have to have it approved by the teacher a few days in advance. Then the teacher can make sure the allergy-kids have a treat available. The last 2 years there has been a nut allergy in his classroom so I made rice krispie treats - totally nut free and I wiped down the countertops and anything else in my kitchen that came in contact with the bars.

Let me start by commending you for taking the time to inquire about how to proceed with this childs allergy. I think its awesome and genuinely wish more people would think about things like this. I think you could ask the teacher for the contact info on the parents and ask the parents what shes ok and not ok to have. Then you'll have a better idea of what you should avoid or if shes ok with being around allergens. In that case you may be able to special order something for her.

Not sure of the allergies your DD's classmate has and it's been a long time since my daughter was allowed to bring b-day treats to school. I do remember Hoodsie cups (little cups of vanilla and chocolate ice cream) and oreos being okay with the child in her class with allergies. who doesn't love ice cream and oreos.

Tootsie rolls are made in a nut free facility. So are Andes mints. Jelly belly jellybeans are also now peanut free (packaged after 2010). I think junior mints are also safe (but not 100% sure)
I am allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, eggs, coconut and wheat (plus some other things)

For junk I eat skittles, tootsie pops, tootsie rolls, enjoy life chocolate bars, Andes mints.

most ice creams, IMO are not safe. The majority have a may contain or processed on same line warning.

For things like cookies and stuff, a lot of "mainstream" products are safe so those types of things are usually easier.

I would personally not do anything homemade for the kid with the nut allergy. For me, personally, I would appreciate the fort and then throw away or give away the great. The reason is, even if someone is very very careful about wing counters, etc, if they have nuts in the house, it's still a big risk for some people. My house is completely nut free. I don't eat anything made at anyone else's house. It's too big of a risk.

For nut and dairy allergies I make homemade ricekrispies treats. You have to use Kellog's rice krispies because sometimes the generic is made in nut facilities. To make it dairy safe I use butter flavored crisco instead of butter/margarine.

Also just for extra caution, I hand wash all utensils and counters before I begin making the snacks.

I'm not sure but I think the "boxed" rice krispie treats has either dairy or nuts in them, I just remember my DS had a friend with allergies and couldn't eat the boxed treats.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter