Number of People Walking

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will never understand people wanting to restrict their point usage . Right now the system is open to all to take advantage of. If you choose not to you don't have to but will risk losing out on a reservation you covet. Getting mad at renters is crazy since those points belong to someone who paid for them and deserves to be able to use them anyway they want within the deed restrictions set by DVC . Getting mad at walkers who are willing to take the time ( and its pretty easy to walk at this point) to plan for their vacation is cutting your nose off to spite your face. If restrictions are added you will still not get the room you want a lot of the time if you want popular room or dates. What is next not allowing renters to book popular times from owners. All you are doing is making the timeshare more restrictive and less appealing. I missed out on getting a two bedroom at Aulani this summer as I didn't check a month in advance and its not my home resort . I never had a problem in past but this year I had to take what was left and it cost me 100 points more. Live and learn and next time will plan better. some one did their planning and beat me out...fair playing field so no complaints. DVC made the popular change so you don't have to call Member services at all which was a burden to them so they had to know about walking and approve of its use or they could have restricted it altogether. They didn't go this route. If you are a planner both in the parks and in your timeshare you will have a big advantage over others not willing to take the time. Good

This makes it harder for anyone who simply wants a stay longer than 7 nights. The second part again goes to allowing people with more points to have an even easier chance to walk a reservation because they can afford to have a long trip booked and then modify once at the end.

That's why they have the 7 night limit at the 7 or 11 month window.

From another thread:

"DVC has taken every AKV Value studio room for 3 weeks straight now, from Dec 3rd to Dec 23rd, today’s plus 7 date. They don’t show up in inventory at all; they’re not being walked.

Disney likes to open new things on Wed or Sat, prob would prefer Wed this time because the crowds will be insane already without adding a weekend.

They probably need to sandwich the opening between Christmas and Thanksgiving with as much lead time as possible before Christmas to work out the kinks, so that’d be the first realistic date after Thanksgiving.

Plus. This would let them hard ticket the Thanksgiving crowd with previews, and get it open in time to work out the kinks by Christmas.

The reason why I posted here is the taking out of inventory of all the values studios effective Dec 3, and a week of all the Concierge studios at that same time as well had me thinking about how this might tie into the opening. Who knows what other inventory is being pulled in categories that don’t show up so easily prior to the 11 month window? DVC/Disney has had time to plan this and could be banking and borrowing their own points to bring them to bear right here. Booking a room for 9 points in values and selling it CRO after they formally announce the date would be a real coup.

DVC taking rooms from inventory the night before the first Wed possible open date after Thanksgiving can’t be a coincidence, can it?

It’s DVC related because it’s my speculation based on DVC related activity."

???

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019

Where's the proof?!
I do not believe it!!!

Proof of which? Values have been pulled from inventory since Dec 3rd. I doubt that it has anything to do with SWGE but the rooms have been pulled.
I've decided to bow out of that fight, we just don't have the ability to get honest answers from Disney out of that one (although as owners I feel we have every right.)
I just want to point out that 12/3/19 is a Tuesday. Very, very strange strange that "work", if that is what they are saying it is now, might be starting on the second work day of the week, and not that Monday.

I've decided to bow out of that fight, we just don't have the ability to get honest answers from Disney out of that one (although as owners I feel we have every right.)
I just want to point out that 12/3/19 is a Tuesday. Very, very strange strange that "work", if that is what they are saying it is now, might be starting on the second work day of the week, and not that Monday.

Yeah, we had hoped to get a January reservation in a value studio but just went with standard for now. Waitlisted Value and plan to otherwise try to switch at 7 months. Not the hill that I want to die on, I just wish for more transparency.

That's why they have the 7 night limit at the 7 or 11 month window.

At the time they implemented it they stated that was chosen because it was the most typical length of stay. Sure, it could have been more but it seemed more like they needed to select something and that was the basis for the selection.

Where's the proof?!
I do not believe it!!!
Proof of which? Values have been pulled from inventory since Dec 3rd. I doubt that it has anything to do with SWGE but the rooms have been pulled.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/number-of-people-walking.3714257/page-27#post-60263850 Follow my post to another thread that goes into providing proof of this. Eventually Disney got back to owners and told them they were pulled for a hard goods refurb.

Also I think 12/3/19 is just the Date people noticed it. Its possible 12/2/19 was pulled too.

I had the experience many years ago when I wanted to book a couple of grand villas at BW. We didn't have online tool but when calling up they told me that all the grand villas were unavailable until further notice as they were doing a rehab. I had to get a lot of two bedrooms instead. I thought it strange at the time they took out a whole category of rooms on different floors but that is what they did. It's possible they are doing the same thing now so have to remove from inventory capable of being booked.

Posted on another Board
20tf606.png

Posted on another Board
20tf606.png
The issue I believe was mostly the studios being pulled not the 1 bedrooms. Also remember Disney can offer cash rentals on rooms it actually won't have and simply upgrade an individual. That person will be just as happy because it doesn't cost them more. At any rate I think it will be super easy to prove this or not. Come December someone walks down to the area at the resort and says Yes they are working on them or No they are not. Better yet when people stay in them we all will know for sure.

I should note nothing that has been going on with the missing Value Studios has 0 to do with walking. As when looking at availability at midnight the 7th night has always been missing. Which no walker could have been doing, since the earliest they could pull would be 8 AM. Thus only Disney could have been pulling them.

Last edited:
The issue I believe was mostly the studios being pulled not the 1 bedrooms. Also remember Disney can offer cash rentals on rooms it actually won't have and simply upgrade an individual. That person will be just as happy because it doesn't cost them more. At any rate I think it will be super easy to prove this or not. Come December someone walks down to the area at the resort and says Yes they are working on them or No they are not. Better yet when people stay in them we all will know for sure.

I should note nothing that has been going on with the missing Value Studios has 0 to do with walking. As when looking at availability at midnight the 7th night has always been missing. Which no walker could have been doing, since the earliest they could pull would be 8 AM. Thus only Disney could have been pulling them.
Both 1 bedroom and studios have been pulled. I was watching them since the beginning of December hoping to get a 1 bedroom value for xmas. I also talked with member service about it since it's not about people walking and was told they are being refurbished

May I ask how many other places online walking is discussed? If I was looking to keep walking manageable I would try to not encourage more people to do it. If this is the main place people discuss walking I would stop NOW. Go into damage control mode. If it is discussed all over the place then discussing here wouldn’t matter I guess.

Both 1 bedroom and studios have been pulled. I was watching them since the beginning of decDecem hoping to get a 1 bedroom value for xmas
Okay I was only aware of the studios (as I was watching that). That actually makes me believe Disney's excuse more. I believed it less when I was only watching the studios. But I think Disney could be offering them cash with never intending of using them, they have flexibility of putting someone into something else if the room isn't done/ready by saying they get an upgrade. For DVC members it is a different story where they won't be able to do that.

May I ask how many other places online walking is discussed? If I was looking to keep walking manageable I would try to not encourage more people to do it. If this is the main place people discuss walking I would stop NOW. Go into damage control mode. If it is discussed all over the place then discussing here wouldn’t matter I guess.
I think it really isn't too much of a secret. I instantly figured out how walking worked when I bought, during the initial talk how booking worked (when they said I could modify and guarantee to keep the overlapping days). I think most people probably know they can do but simply don't feel a need to (Modifying a reservation once and small jump in thought shows you how to do it). I suspect most that feel a need to are booking hard to get rooms. Plus as many reported CM actually tell people about this.

I don't partake but really don't have much of a problem because almost all have availability right at 8 AM (except AKV Value/Club and maybe Standard BWV but that isn't as small). The way I see walking mostly being used is closer to your real check in to get multiple attempts at trying to get your room. I don't really follow the belief people are walking months or weeks even. Probably a week at most.

Other DVC sites discuss walking.

You don't like walking. We get it. Now you want people to stop discussing it when you are the one who keeps on bringing it up!

Every online WDW board that has a DVC component that I have stumbled upon has information on walking, it is not a secret. Many people, myself included, first heard about walking from speaking to MS CMs. The truth is that the vast majority of rooms, the vast majority of the time, require zero walking, and it would just be a giant waste of a members time to do so.

Other DVC sites discuss walking.

You don't like walking. We get it. Now you want people to stop discussing it when you are the one who keeps on bringing it up!

I didn’t start this thread. I,m the one who keeps bringing it up? Really? How many people over the last year have said I never had a problem before but now I am having trouble booking at the 11 month window. Not having people encourage others to walk might actually help walking not get to far out of control. My suggestion of not discussing walking helps those in favor of walking. Good grief.

Every online WDW board that has a DVC component that I have stumbled upon has information on walking, it is not a secret. Many people, myself included, first heard about walking from speaking to MS CMs. The truth is that the vast majority of rooms, the vast majority of the time, require zero walking, and it would just be a giant waste of a members time to do so.

Walking: Disney's new best kept secret. (Not)
giphy.gif

I was honestly just curious about how much it was discussed online. Thanks for the info. And although I agree with you about only needed to walk for certain times and categories I will almost guarantee people will start walking all times and categories as I believe this is human nature. I will give people a feeling of self assurance about getting their room even if the walk is not needed. I am concerned where it all ends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter