Number of FP+ to increase and Park Hopping to be added

myadventurebook

Mouseketeer
Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere, but I didn't see it so I figured I'd post it. WDWMagic just reported a short while ago that Tom Staggs, Chairman Walt Disney Parks and Resorts wrote a blog post to the effect that FP+ will be increasing soon. Park Hopping will also be implemented in some way soon. He said that once 3 FP+ have been used up, you will be able to add a fourth. Once that had been used, you can add a fifth, and so on. Great news, and I knew it was coming FP naysayers! :p

Here is the WDW article and here is the blogpost.

Hooray! :cool1:

Forgive me if this has been posted elsewhere, but I didn't see it so I figured I'd post it. WDWMagic just reported a short while ago that Tom Staggs, Chairman Walt Disney Parks and Resorts wrote a blog post to the effect that FP+ will be increasing soon. Park Hopping will also be implemented in some way soon. He said that once 3 FP+ have been used up, you will be able to add a fourth. Once that had been used, you can add a fifth, and so on. Great news, and I knew it was coming FP naysayers! :p Here is the WDW article and here is the blogpost. Hooray! :cool1:

I just read this and it said you go to a kiosk to get fourth...etc. So once I used my three I have to go to a kiosk to get more I can't do it on my phone?

I just read this and it said you go to a kiosk to get fourth...etc. So once I used my three I have to go to a kiosk to get more I can't do it on my phone?

Yeah, that's the only part that doesn't seem to make sense. Hopefully, just like these changes, that will change in the future too. I'm guessing it will, and I'm just happy there are more at all honestly.

Yeah, that's the only part that doesn't seem to make sense. Hopefully, just like these changes, that will change in the future too. I'm guessing it will, and I'm just happy there are more at all honestly.
I am also very happy about this as well. Especially park hopping that's the biggest thing I didn't like.

If you think about the system as a whole, having to go to the kiosk rather than accessing additional FP by phone makes some sense. Physically accessing a kiosk would mean you're in the designated park and more likely to actually use the FP whereas doing it by phone could result in people who aren't in the corresponding park eating up the FP without actually using them -- either because they didn't end up hopping over to that park or didn't make it in time.

They could let you do it by phone AND make sure you are in park. MDE already knows if you are in a park and which one. I am worried about how long the lines at kiosks will be otherwise. But that said, it is still an improvement over where we are now.

So if I say book fastpass in the morning for Magic Kingdom and Epcot in the evening. If I use all my fastpass at Magic Kingdom before I leave can I get more for Magic Kingdom before hopping?

They could let you do it by phone AND make sure you are in park. MDE already knows if you are in a park and which one. I am worried about how long the lines at kiosks will be otherwise. But that said, it is still an improvement over where we are now.

True, although if this wasn't something they anticipated offering as part of the original system, they may not be able to quickly and efficiently update the system to start processing GPS for thousands of guests per day in order to allot FPs. It could certainly be something they do down the road depending on how the kiosks work out and whether updating the system would make sense financially versus the kiosks. :confused3

Light up the boards. This is what a lot of us have been waiting for. :banana:

While there are a lot of unanswered questions in Staggs' post, I'm sure the implementation of the additional fastpass and park hopping will be fairly self explanatory in practice.

What will be tricky is availability, I'm sure most of the popular fastpasses will have been reserved by the time you can get to reserving the fourth.

So if I say book fastpass in the morning for Magic Kingdom and Epcot in the evening. If I use all my fastpass at Magic Kingdom before I leave can I get more for Magic Kingdom before hopping?
You would have to use three at MK and then you could get more you wouldn't be able to get more without using the first three.

True, although if this wasn't something they anticipated offering as part of the original system, they may not be able to quickly and efficiently update the system to start processing GPS for thousands of guests per day in order to allot FPs. It could certainly be something they do down the road depending on how the kiosks work out and whether updating the system would make sense financially versus the kiosks. :confused3
I guess it would be better for Disney to do it by kiosk but in a recent article Staggs said they have saved money because they haven't had to out as much kiosks in the parks as they had originally planned because more people are using their phones. I would think this might increase the number of people at kiosks in the afternoon hours and then they would have to add more kiosks. We don't know we will have to wait and see I'm just glad these new options have come out.

At least from my quick read of the article, it didn't look like they had it laid out precisely how they would do the park hopping with it, but it does sound like you'll be able to get additional FPs in MK after you've used all of your other FPs, subject to availability. Between advance reservations and however they're moving through the day, I'm not sure how many additional FPs will really be available in practice once people have worked through their initial three*.

*echoing mikethedigiartist there as I took longer than expected to type my response

At least from my quick read of the article, it didn't look like they had it laid out precisely how they would do the park hopping with it, but it does sound like you'll be able to get additional FPs in MK after you've used all of your other FPs, subject to availability. Between advance reservations and however they're moving through the day, I'm not sure how many additional FPs will really be available in practice once people have worked through their initial three.
I think it will depend on when you use all of your FPs. If you use all of your three in the first half of the day, so say at 1 pm I go to the kiosk and ask for my fourth FP well you would choose from whatever is available and I guess that would depend on crowds and stuff like that. I would think you would still be able to get most rides at 1 pm but again it will probably depend. Another question that comes with the park hopping is if I'm at MK and I've used my three and I want to go to Epcot for the evening can I book that fourth FP at a kiosk in MK or does it have to be in Epcot.

I'm sure all the features of the announced additions to the Fastpass+ System will be available on any mobile device, even via their website. They currently allow you to access the same features across all platforms and at the kiosk as well so it wouldn't make any sense not to integrate these changes into all platforms.

And why would they need to verify that you are in the park? You can currently make Fastpass+ reservations from home for today regardless of whether you're in the park are not, correct?

And why would they need to verify that you are in the park? You can currently make Fastpass+ reservations from home for today regardless of whether you're in the park are not, correct?

I was the one speculating about being in the park in terms of why you would use the kiosk rather than the phone. I've not yet used the FP+ system, but my understanding thus far is that you reserve from home only after you have purchased a ticket to attend the park in question, in which case you have a strong incentive to actually visit the park and utilize the FP.

I'm speculating that Disney wants FP to be as efficient as possible, which might involve attempts to reduce the number of people not actually utilizing a reserved FP. Limiting additional FP to kiosk pick-up for the park in which the kiosk is located seems like it would do that more so than allowing people to try and pick up additional FPs for a separate park that they may or may not get to. Pure speculation on my part, along with questions about the possible costs/difficulty of updating the system on the fly with something that wasn't originally intended (from the sound of it).

I'm speculating that Disney wants FP to be as efficient as possible, which might involve attempts to reduce the number of people not actually utilizing a reserved FP. Limiting additional FP to kiosk pick-up for the park in which the kiosk is located seems like it would do that more so than allowing people to try and pick up additional FPs for a separate park that they may or may not get to.

Interestingly that's a curious way the current system works (and I'm speaking as an annual passholder so I don't know how it works for day guests). If you don't use the fastpass and the time elapses you're still able to switch it to something you can use in the future. So all three slots are adjustable until you actually use it currently.

I realize this is diverging from the topic at hand so I won't really elaborate, but it definitely is a bit of a possible loophole (or feature depending on how you look at it).

it's a moot point, you can't add a fourth one if they are all gone(at least anything that you may actually want a Fast Pass for)

Thanks for the info! Fantastic and EXPECTED news.

A new thread will be started for all the naysayers to apologize in. :lmao:

Once they got things running, they listened to what people liked and didn't like and are adjusting.

It seems that number of FP's and park hopping were the two biggest problems, so that will be resolved.

Everybody happy? (No probably not.)

One interesting point related to the many discussions here: He noted that so many were using their smart phones they could reduce kiosks! We all wondered how much people would use their phone. There's your answer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!