not too impressed with POR

ghcoughlin

Mouseketeer
Hi!Well we just got back from our" quicky trip" a few days ago_Our experience left us aggrevated.When I made our ressies I informed the CM I needed a building near a bus stop.I have Multiple Sclerosis and this would make life easier.The Cm noted this on our ressie.A week before arriving I faxed them with a request for building near the bus and food court a container for used syringes(I have gotten these in the past).Again explaining my MS.When we arrived at 11:00 pm we were put into building 24 and no container.!!!Could I get any further from the food court???????They couldn't do anything.Only the original request made when making the ressies was honored...near a bus stop.Enough of that.
We found them very short staffed.Guest services at busy times had a HUGE line and perhaps 6 windows opened.We could over hear the rudeness to guests by the CMs.The food court was very short staffed and needed the extra help.One morning all the creamers were empty ...do you think there were a few testy coffee drinkers??This took 15 minutes to rectify.I would hate to see the situation next week when it is busy.The highlight of our time at POR was the things mousekeeping did with the kids stuffed animals.The Cms who delivered and picked up the luggage were very nice and effecient.Those 2 departments were awsome.I intend to write to Disney about this experience.Who would I send it to??
I guess next time we will stick with FW cabins.We loved it there the last time down.People complain FW is spread out too much.I beg to differ POR is too.Except there is no internal busses to get you around the resort.
It all boils down to too many cuts that effect the guests directly.
That's behind us now.Now I can start planning our 2003 vacation.
Thanks,
Heidi

To write to Disney go to www.disneyworld.com and click on guest relations on the bottom of the page. Fill in the blank and choose where you want your request to be sent to.

FYI- keep a copy of what you write somewhere on your computer or print it out. Once you write it on the webpage and send it you won't have a copy unless you make one for yourself.

Sorry your stay wasn't everything you expected.

I too am sorry that your stay didn't meet your expectations. :(

I hope that your next visit goes well! :)

Hi,

I can't imagine staying at POR now - it would be too depressing. :(

It was bad enough when the name was changed from Dixie Landings. Now, with the cutbacks; i.e., no mansion rooms, no piano player, no boat ride to the FQ - it sounds like a shadow of its former, grand, self.

Dixie Landings was always my favorite. We stayed at the FQ 6 years ago and I remember my first sight of DL while walking the path along the river at night - I was entranced by the sight of the lit mansions.

I've been back 3x since then - the last two during 2001. When my son and I went in May, it was beautiful. When my daugher and I went 5 months later in Oct., the river was clogged with algae; the food court staff were slow and unfriendly. Not the same, and that's a shame. :(

-Gabrielle

Gabrielle, I totally agree. I haven't been back over there for a while but PO-FQ and PO-R were my favorite moderates. I've stayed at PO-FQ 5 times and loved it as I did PO-R. (still getting used to the name change)

I'm hoping that as everything starts to get back to normal, that these two fine resorts return to their previous stateliness. It is sad to see them as they are now when I know from experience that they can be so much better.

We stayed at POR at the end of Jan 2002, and were very happy with our stay there.

The only thing we missed at all was the boat to DD which is expected to return during busier seasons. Yes, the mansions were closed during our stay but they were still "lit and beautiful". (and they have already begun reopening) We had to stay in a bayou room which we discovered we like much better! , and one of the stations in the food court was closed, but we found all of the staff that we encountered to be friendlier than usual, perhaps because they were less busy than usual. The resort was pleasantly uncrowded! The landscaping was well-kept, and there were no lines for food or the water slide at the pool.
There was entertainment at the lounge 5 nights a week, according to the materials we were given, although we weren't there for it. Whether it's the same entertainment as in the past, I'm not sure.

I've seen the river with and without algae in it, and that is much more a seasonal issue than any sign of neglect. Algae blooms at certain times of the year, and dumping enogh chemicals in the water to kill it all is neither practical nor envirinmentally responsible.

As I said in an earlier post, I am sorry that ghcoughlin did not have the trip she expected. I think that she should have been taken much better care of than she was, and any rudeness is never excusable. I certainly respect her right to "vent", and can understand that she prefers another resort over POR. I'm just saying that our experience, at around the same time was much different.

I wouldn't "write off" POR just yet! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter