Not just vegan but free S.O.S - HELP!

Good idea, but not vegan.

Right, my point was, there are not a lot of great protein choices that I can come up with as others mentioned, and either they will have to bring something from home that can travel, order groceries in, or bend on what they are eating. Boiled eggs are one of those things that many whole food Vegetarians who avoid salt/oil/sugar eat at Disney, and the OP mentioned they were new to veganism and don't mention the 'why's.' To some people on this eating plan avoiding salt/oil/sugar and eating clean is more important than avoiding eggs.

In short, they may have to decide whether to go plain vegan, or go clean whole foods while they are there. That may depend on what they were eating prior to this new diet and why they are on this new diet.

I think it’s completely within someone’s rights to call ahead (perhaps speak with someone from Dining? I don’t have experience with this) and ask for suggestions. I think it might be wishful thinking to show up and expect the chefs at every restaurant (especially buffets) to be prepared and able to accommodate your dining needs quickly. However, if you are nice about it, you can always ask - and if they say no, or only offer things that you won’t be happy eating (or paying for) then grocery delivery might make more sense.

Disney is excellent at accommodating allergies and special needs. Again, they may say no and that is OK too, but it is definitely OK in my opinion to ask, at least at a TS place.

I'd just like to point out that the OP, who hasn't posted since their original question, didn't suggest that someone should do something special for them or in any way say that they deserve special treatment, etc. They merely asked if these were good restaurant choices for their preferred eating style. Please try not to alienate the OP, who was merely asking for very straightforward information.

I feel like this thread is an example of people being angry or offended by the actions of others when those actions in now way cause any problems for anyone around them. Don't want to talk to a chef at a vacation resort about your specific needs? Then don't! But don't be mad or offended when someone else does. Disney specifically has chefs at each restaurant that deal with allergies and -yes- dietary "lifestyle requests" (see below). There are a number of special diets menus that the average guest does not see at each restaurant unless you ask. You may not realize there are tons of options for guests with various allergies and dietary lifestyles but when you talk to your server or chef they can point you in the right direction and let you know what is available. No need to get on a high horse about it and look down on others for choosing a different dietary lifestyle and expecting a first class resort like Disney to have options available. Disney already goes the extra mile and has various options for the OP that I mentioned in a previous post.

From the Disney Spevial Diets website:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/

"Many Disney restaurants now offer allergy-friendly menus to address these food intolerances, and many are able to accommodate lifestyle requests as well—including low-fat, low-sodium, no-sugar-added and vegetarian options—often with no advance arrangements!

Guests with food allergies should discuss their dietary requirements with their server upon arrival at the restaurant. Guests also have the opportunity to consult with a chef or special diets-trained Cast Member if desired.

We strive to use reasonable efforts in our food sourcing, preparation and handling procedures to avoid the introduction of the named allergens into your menu choices. While we take steps to prevent cross-contact, we do not have separate allergy-friendly kitchens and are unable to guarantee that a menu item is completely free of allergens.

Please also note that our allergy-friendly offerings are reliant on supplier ingredient labels, and we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the contents of each food item. Allergen advisory statements (e.g., “ may contain") are not regulated and therefore not taken into consideration when developing allergy-friendly meals. It is ultimately up to your discretion to make an informed choice based upon their individual dietary needs.

Metabolic Disorders and Multiple Allergies
Guests with the following concerns:

• Any allergy or intolerance not listed above under common food allergies
  • Phenylketonuria (PKU)
  • Metabolic disorders
  • A single Guest with 4 or more allergies/intolerances or multiple Guests with allergies/intolerances within the same party should contact Special.Diets@DisneyWorld.com after booking dining arrangements for their visit and at least 14 days prior to their arrival:
Our team will assist you in navigating the dining process. Be sure to communicate your dietary restrictions upon arrival at the restaurant. You will have the opportunity to speak with a chef or special diets-trained Cast Member if desired. While our restaurants will do their best to accommodate dietary requirements, we cannot guarantee that they will be able to meet all requests."

@GinnyBear's_mom I'm neither mad nor offended, I just have a different opinion on how I would handle OP's situation - I wouldn't ask to speak to chef. End of story. No need to insult me by saying I'm on a high horse or that I look down on people. :)

It was a conversation that took a bit of a different path and not right for this thread. Sorry OP, certainly didn't want to hurt your feelings.

I have no issue with people eating the way they want. I also am a healthy eater. But I go in knowing what I can and can't have and if the menu doesn't fit my needs, I go elsewhere. Of course you can ask to leave ingredients off of a menu item - no cheese, switch a side (which they may or may not be able to do), but I would never ask for something to be made especially for me that wasn't on menu, which is what I thought people were suggesting.
So my issue with this - if you are choosing to eat this way not due to an allergy or medical condition, but rather a lifestyle choice, then you need to go to establishments that prepare food in this manner if you plan on eating out. Since when do we go to restaurant and ask the chef to make us something that isn't on the menu and quite frankly would be out of the norm for most chefs, just because that's the way we choose to eat

It sounded a bit judgemental there, but again as I posted, Disney encourages those with non-medical related food lifestyles to let them know so they can help. Every restaurant has multiple menus not just the ones your average guest sees. The items I suggested are on those special diets menus at specific restaurants where the OP is visiting. As someone with firsthand knowledge of this way of eating and eating specifically at Disney I offered the OP concrete suggestions on what can be done well within the realm of what Disney offers.

It sounded a bit judgemental there, but again as I posted, Disney encourages those with non-medical related food lifestyles to let them know so they can help. Every restaurant has multiple menus not just the ones your average guest sees. The items I suggested are on those special diets menus at specific restaurants where the OP is visiting. As someone with firsthand knowledge of this way of eating and eating specifically at Disney I offered the OP concrete suggestions on what can be done well within the realm of what Disney offers.

Okay. :)

Hope everyone has great trips and finds plenty of food options!

I feel like this thread is an example of people being angry or offended by the actions of others when those actions in now way cause any problems for anyone around them. Don't want to talk to a chef at a vacation resort about your specific needs? Then don't! But don't be mad or offended when someone else does. Disney specifically has chefs at each restaurant that deal with allergies and -yes- dietary "lifestyle requests" (see below). There are a number of special diets menus that the average guest does not see at each restaurant unless you ask. You may not realize there are tons of options for guests with various allergies and dietary lifestyles but when you talk to your server or chef they can point you in the right direction and let you know what is available. No need to get on a high horse about it and look down on others for choosing a different dietary lifestyle and expecting a first class resort like Disney to have options available. Disney already goes the extra mile and has various options for the OP that I mentioned in a previous post.

From the Disney Spevial Diets website:
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/

"Many Disney restaurants now offer allergy-friendly menus to address these food intolerances, and many are able to accommodate lifestyle requests as well—including low-fat, low-sodium, no-sugar-added and vegetarian options—often with no advance arrangements!

Guests with food allergies should discuss their dietary requirements with their server upon arrival at the restaurant. Guests also have the opportunity to consult with a chef or special diets-trained Cast Member if desired.

We strive to use reasonable efforts in our food sourcing, preparation and handling procedures to avoid the introduction of the named allergens into your menu choices. While we take steps to prevent cross-contact, we do not have separate allergy-friendly kitchens and are unable to guarantee that a menu item is completely free of allergens.

Please also note that our allergy-friendly offerings are reliant on supplier ingredient labels, and we cannot guarantee the accuracy of the contents of each food item. Allergen advisory statements (e.g., “ may contain") are not regulated and therefore not taken into consideration when developing allergy-friendly meals. It is ultimately up to your discretion to make an informed choice based upon their individual dietary needs.

Metabolic Disorders and Multiple Allergies
Guests with the following concerns:

• Any allergy or intolerance not listed above under common food allergies
  • Phenylketonuria (PKU)
  • Metabolic disorders
  • A single Guest with 4 or more allergies/intolerances or multiple Guests with allergies/intolerances within the same party should contact Special.Diets@DisneyWorld.com after booking dining arrangements for their visit and at least 14 days prior to their arrival:
Our team will assist you in navigating the dining process. Be sure to communicate your dietary restrictions upon arrival at the restaurant. You will have the opportunity to speak with a chef or special diets-trained Cast Member if desired. While our restaurants will do their best to accommodate dietary requirements, we cannot guarantee that they will be able to meet all requests."

Here’s the thing, though. It has a trickle-down effect. Everyone with every special food request wants to speak with the chef and it begins to create issues.

At some point, Disney started printing allergy menus, presumably to cut down on the number of people speaking to the chef. There was a recent thread on this very board about an allergy menu at one of the restaurants being incorrect (not updated), and at least one of the menu items listed as dairy-free was NOT dairy free.

I think that if your diet is a lifestyle choice, you should either find items on the menu that work for you or bring your own food.

My only 2 cents on this matter would be when I went to Skipper's Canteen 2 years ago I was still recovering from a gallbladder surgery. This meant I couldn't digest fat/oil heavy foods. I spoke to the chef directly and he prepared me the vegan curry with very little oil (though I do believe it had just a dab of oil in it). Hard to imagine this was made without any salt. You can try, I'm just not sure they can fully prepare the best meals with all criteria followed. Good luck!

No need to get on a high horse about it and look down on others for choosing a different dietary lifestyle and expecting a first class resort like Disney to have options available.
It appears you are reading attitudes that don't exist. Not one. single. poster. has denigrated the OP's dietary lifestyle. A couple of posters have provided opinions about the issue of discussing with the Chef. A few (most?) posters have offeredadvice or opinions or suggestions because we think the OP's dietary lifestyle will not be able to be accommodated in a commercial kitchen.

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post although I'm honestly truly shocked at the direction that unfortunately this post took due to some of the responses... I was just asking for advice, tips and past experiences and not judgements and criticism but that's the interest for you and there is nothing one can do about it.

Not that I have to defend my current way of eating but yes, it may be 'bland' but when you have had 180/110 blood pressure in my 30s and choose to finally want to do something about it, bland yet having a healthier life matters more; but that's beside the point. Plus when you start eating w/o salt, you begin to taste food's true flavors and you will be surprised how enjoyable food can be on its own.

I would never ‘expect’ a restaurant to cater to a specific need because then I would just eat at home, but I’m going to Disney with a group of people who don’t have any dietary restriction and so I have to find a way where I can also eat at these restaurants while maintaining the dietary needs I’ve been given to have a healthier life at this point in time.

I would figure if I can ask at a restaurant to please refrain from adding salt OR more salt or oil where possible, it wouldn’t be the end of the world... They have the ingredients and if they are willing and able to accommodate and find a way to make something simple that I can eat (which Disney is one of the best at going above and beyond for their guests) I figured that it's better to ask and the worse they can say is no, sorry. I was simply asking if anyone had past experiences doing this.

So for all those that gave me great tips and advice, I do truly appreciate it. Thank you so much!

Based on the replies, my plan is to probably skip the buffet, salads and I can add balsamic and lemon, I'll bring some foods and snacks like oatmeal which I can mix with hot water, see if I can ask for steamed vegetables and plain rice, get fruit, no bread (good tip because I was planning on having the mama Melrose bread but not anymore), probably getting the vegan curry at the Skippers Canteen, and I've also called ahead for BOG so I'll see what they can do, if anything.

My goal is not to be 100% perfect on the SOS part because I know it will be impossible, but I do want to try my best where I possible can!

If anyone is interested I can come back and post how my trip goes.

Special thanks to:
@MamaJessie
@Dug720
@Dakota731
@kaytieeldr
@Miffy
@smiths02
@holden
@Mome Rath
@GinnyBear's_mom
@bumbershoot
@choirbird
@Arielfan98

Last edited:
I’ll be going to WDW next week and I’m a new vegan and trying to make sure I stay on my program which is a vegan plant based program free S.O.S = no salt, no oil, no added sugar. Now I’ve found a lot of sites and ideas that makes me feel confident that I’ll find vegan choices wherever I go in Disney but the SOS free I’m not so sure.
Do you think at sit down restaurants the chefs would be accommodating of this? Has anyone tried to do this? Any tips or ideas?

I’ll be dining at:
- BOG dinner
- Mama melrose
- skipper canteen
- coral reef
- Hollywood and vine

Thanks!!!

Hi, OP!!!

WFPBNO friend here! What many of the posters here do not seem to know, is many who follow WFBPNO Vegan diet do so to prevent and reverse heart disease, diabetes, IBS, inflammation and the list goes on. I'll just leave it at that. ❤️

Totally free of salt and oil is nearly impossible anywhere but your own home. That being said, you will be able to come pretty darn close by doing research and making wise choices. Everything else you need is easy peasy and you certainly will be successful at Disney!

Call Disney dining and state Vegan, no salt or oil to your dining ressies and they will accommodate. Your best choices of those you listed are MM (marinara sauce prepared with no oil), SK ( various Vegan items). I would look into Tusker House, Boma, Sana and anywhere in the Morocco pavilion.

We are going in May, Second year being WFBP Vegan and we can't wait! KUDOS to you for taking charge of your own health!

Hmmm... if you just want to stay on this diet on your own, I'd recommend what others are saying; bring stuff from home. In the parks the only things I can even come up with are mainly fruit. Bananas, pineapple, melon, oranges, etc... You can find some places that have carrots and celery to dip into hummus, but the hummus probably has oil and salt. You can find hard boiled eggs at some hotels. In short, no I don't think you'll find much of anything at those places, it's way too restrictive of a diet for prepared meals in public. The only other thing to see is if they serve a baked potato and eat it completely plain, even then it might have butter/salt/pepper on the outside.

ETA: One idea is to bring in your own salad dressing, and order plain salads then dress them yourself.

AND this is the closest info to help that I've seen as well; WFPB at Disney
Great suggestions. But FYI, vegans cant eat eggs.

Great suggestions. But FYI, vegans cant eat eggs.

Here was my reply upthread;

Right, my point was, there are not a lot of great protein choices that I can come up with as others mentioned, and either they will have to bring something from home that can travel, order groceries in, or bend on what they are eating. Boiled eggs are one of those things that many whole food Vegetarians who avoid salt/oil/sugar eat at Disney, and the OP mentioned they were new to veganism and don't mention the 'why's.' To some people on this eating plan avoiding salt/oil/sugar and eating clean is more important than avoiding eggs.

In short, they may have to decide whether to go plain vegan, or go clean whole foods while they are there. That may depend on what they were eating prior to this new diet and why they are on this new diet.

As stated by the OP this is for health reasons, specifically she's trying to avoid things that may make her blood pressure worse. Depending on what info she has researched and believes, a boiled egg in Disney may actually be preferable than eating something with oil/salt/sugar. In short it depends on why she's vegan and what protein sources she can find in Disney that are clean. If she can find somewhere there that will make clean quinoa, tofu, or legumes she shouldn't have to resort to other protein sources, if not, something from home, or something like a boiled egg would actually work better at meeting her protein requirement and still be Whole 30 (for example) compatible. She shouldn't have a big problem finding fruit or steamed veg, but the protein on this diet is trickier.

OP, Another idea for protein is that it is possible is to use a "topping" too like nutritional yeast, or clean nut butters (both ordered for at your hotel or brought from home).

Thank you all for taking the time to respond to my post although I'm honestly truly shocked at the direction that unfortunately this post took due to some of the responses... I was just asking for advice, tips and past experiences and not judgements and criticism but that's the interest for you and there is nothing one can do about it.

Not that I have to defend my current way of eating but yes, it may be 'bland' but when you have had 180/110 blood pressure in my 30s and choose to finally want to do something about it, bland yet having a healthier life matters more; but that's beside the point. Plus when you start eating w/o salt, you begin to taste food's true flavors and you will be surprised how enjoyable food can be on its own.

I would never ‘expect’ a restaurant to cater to a specific need because then I would just eat at home, but I’m going to Disney with a group of people who don’t have any dietary restriction and so I have to find a way where I can also eat at these restaurants while maintaining the dietary needs I’ve been given to have a healthier life at this point in time.

I would figure if I can ask at a restaurant to please refrain from adding salt OR more salt or oil where possible, it wouldn’t be the end of the world... They have the ingredients and if they are willing and able to accommodate and find a way to make something simple that I can eat (which Disney is one of the best at going above and beyond for their guests) I figured that it's better to ask and the worse they can say is no, sorry. I was simply asking if anyone had past experiences doing this.

So for all those that gave me great tips and advice, I do truly appreciate it. Thank you so much!

Based on the replies, my plan is to probably skip the buffet, salads and I can add balsamic and lemon, I'll bring some foods and snacks like oatmeal which I can mix with hot water, see if I can ask for steamed vegetables and plain rice, get fruit, no bread (good tip because I was planning on having the mama Melrose bread but not anymore), probably getting the vegan curry at the Skippers Canteen, and I've also called ahead for BOG so I'll see what they can do, if anything.

My goal is not to be 100% perfect on the SOS part because I know it will be impossible, but I do want to try my best where I possible can!

Special thanks to:
@MamaJessie
@Dug720
@Dakota731
@kaytieeldr
@Miffy
@smiths02
@holden
@Mome Rath
@GinnyBear's_mom
@bumbershoot
@choirbird
@Arielfan98

Hi again!!
I read your post here after I responded and can add;

Buffet: ask which items are Vegan. They are always happy to help. You can tell which have oil.

Salt: avoid anything baked or marinades butbas WFPB, you do this already. PUSH THE WATER! REALLY drink water constantly. That will flush out any salt you will consume, along w/ all the exercise you will be getting.

All restaurants should have balsamic which, as you know is the most fantastic salad dressing ever! As is lemon!

Always ask server your item be prepared with no oil/salt. If it’s made fresh, it’s never a problem.

BOG does have Vegan option, just inquire in oil/salt.

Oats: you mentioned bringing oats... we LOVE rolled oats (stay away from quick oats) topped with plant based milk and berries! Most places at Disney have steel cut oats on bkfst menu.

Feel free to msg me any other questions you have and again, KUDOS to YOU for taking charge of your own health!

Love.

Special thanks to:
@MamaJessie
@Dug720
@Dakota731
@kaytieeldr
@Miffy
@smiths02
@holden
@Mome Rath
@GinnyBear's_mom
@bumbershoot
@choirbird
@Arielfan98

Not to school you because you seem to have a solid plan, I would recommend asking for red wine/apple cider vinegar instead of balsamic. Balsamic is loaded with sugar. Good luck!

WFPBNO friend here! What many of the posters here do not seem to know, is many who follow WFBPNO Vegan diet do so to prevent and reverse heart disease, diabetes, IBS, inflammation and the list goes on. I'll just leave it at that.
Plant based and vegan aren't necessarily the same https://ucdintegrativemedicine.com/2015/02/the-great-vegan-vs-plant-based-debate/#gs.8pm8hm
BOG does have Vegan option, just inquire in oil/salt.
One appetizer and one entree at dinner.

Not to school you because you seem to have a solid plan, I would recommend asking for red wine/apple cider vinegar instead of balsamic. Balsamic is loaded with sugar. Good luck!

You are so right! Balsamic vinegar has 5 grams of sugar per 2T serving. That is more than a lot of salad dressings. Your average ranch dressing has about that much sugar in 2T. Apple cider vinegar has nearly no sugar per 2T. Or try one of the wine vinegars. Red and white have basically no sugar as well. And really avoid balsamic reductions if you are cutting back on sugar. A tablespoon can have over 10grams of sugar alone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter