Not everyone using EP? Is this done? Universal newbie, help!

Penmac

Mouseketeer
We have a trip to Disney planned in late August. Our time & budget allows us only one day and no EP for a bonus visit to Universal. We will visit Universal on 8/27. I know this sounds crazy. Newbies, only 1 day and no EP?? Recipe for disaster. But, we could either NOT visit at all, or do this. We are planning a Universal-only trip in 2 or 3 years from now that will give us multiple days to work with. But for now, this is all we can manage when piggy-backing off a pricey Disney trip.

Background- we are a family of 7. Five kids 10 and under, and two littles that will likely not ride anything scary or fast, even if their heights allow for it. I am thinking the huge coasters will be of no interest to anyone but me, and I don't absolutely need to ride them. If I do, I could do single rider. Major purpose of this trip is the see the WWHP. We do not expect to ride Hagrid’s motorbike this trip.

We are staying in an offsite condo in the Disney area. Our plan is to enter the park when it opens to general admission and stay until close- renegade style. Our kids are used to being in parks all day. We have often done 12 hour days at Disney and they are great with it. We are definitely “up and go” vacationers.

Those with experience with Universal late August, is it reasonable to expect to see all of HP in each park if we stay all day/night without an EP?

If not, I had thought about booking a throwaway room at an EP hotel. I found a rate of $320 for the night including tax. This would give one adult and 3 of our older kids EP. thinking other adult could go back through in single rider line alone when they are done. Not a perfect scenario but would allow the kids to enjoy EP. is it weird to have EP for only part of the party? We can’t afford 2 throw away rooms, that’s for sure.

Thanks in advance for feedback!

You have the option of doing SR lines, while the other does something else with the kids, OR can do child swap, so you all wait together, but one person stays behind with the children who won't, or cannot ride, then once the ride is over for the people who rode, the person who waited back with the kids can ride and not have to wait again in line. The child swap room is typically around the loading, or unloading area, if you have questions where it is you can ask a TM.

Also, if you're planning to essentially be there until open to close and you're doing everything HP related, but not including Hagrid's coaster you definitely should be able to cover all that and a few other things that are not related to HP if you wish.

Go to the park that doesn't have early entry that day, do as much as you can that you want to do there. Then hop over (via the hogwarts express) to the other park and do as much as you can there.
Use the App to find the ride with the shortest wait time as much as possible.
You may not hit everything you wanted to do, but if you don't need to do the coasters (or can single rider them), that makes it doable.

If not, I had thought about booking a throwaway room at an EP hotel. I found a rate of $320 for the night including tax. This would give one adult and 3 of our older kids EP.

The rack rate for the three onsite hotels that offer EP includes the EP for two adults. I’m not understanding why you’re under the impression that only one adult could get the EP with a throwaway room?

It will be expensive buying park to park tickets for one day and you won’t get to do a ton of things. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it but set expectations low. Just looking around everything in Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley is a neat experience so you almost cant have a bad time if that is your main focus. You should try to ride all the HP rides while you’re there if possible.

I kinda got into universal in a similar way. Started staying offsite and doing one day visits. I’ll warn you that it only expands from there :)

Now I’m unlikely to visit Universal unless it’s at least 3 days at an on-site hotel with express pass.

The rack rate for the three onsite hotels that offer EP includes the EP for two adults. I’m not understanding why you’re under the impression that only one adult could get the EP with a throwaway room?

They would be able to have 5 room keys so 5 express passes. They can get them for whom ever will need one. One adult and 4 children, or two adults and 3 children.

Don't list the two smallest children in the room as they only hold 5. They will not be staying there anyway.

Because I was assuming 4 people would be able to gain EP with a stay in a room that accommodates 4. We would give it to our 3 oldest kids and one parent. If the EP is only good for 2 people then we wouldn’t bother.

They would be able to have 5 room keys so 5 express passes. They can get them for whom ever will need one. One adult and 4 children, or two adults and 3 children.

Don't list the two smallest children in the room as they only hold 5. They will not be staying there anyway.
Ok wow! Didn’t realize 5 was an option!

Keep in mind that they charge $35 per person for anything more than 2 people per room. It is still a better deal than buying the express pass separately.

Just depends on what all you are wanting to cover. You are going on a Tuesday at the end of August when the locals will be back in school so that's a bonus.

Are you are family of 7 or 9? You stated "Five kids 10 and under, AND two littles that will likely not ride anything scary or fast". I'm assuming you mean 5 kids 10 and under including two that are little. If that's the case, I'd get the throwaway room and include the 2 adults, and 3 remaining kids that will want to ride the coasters/fast rides as they usually have the longer lines. You'll still need to do child swap if only two adults are going but it will be the fastest way to ride what you want to ride. Only problem is not everyone will be able to enter early being a hotel guest but you can split up there too and let the ones with express go ahead (minus the one adult) and the others to come after regular entry time.

Remember you will need the one day park to park ticket to see both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure on the same day and make sure to ride the Hogwarts Express as I'm sure all the kids will like that.

"Those with experience with Universal late August, is it reasonable to expect to see all of HP in each park if we stay all day/night without an EP? "
The answer is yes. I think you can do both parks in one day without EP if you are ONLY seeing HP in each park. There are only three HP rides at IOA (you aren't planning on Hagrid’s motorbike anyway and if it's raining, Flight of the Hippogriff won't be running either) and only one ride at US which is indoors. As a matter of fact, diagon alley is great during the rain. And Hogwarts Express to get you back and forth. But there is so much more that you won't want to miss. My game plan would be to do both HP areas first, then figure out which park has the most interest for your group. Start out in park A (least interest for your group) and end in Park B. If there is enough time, go back to Park A and see what else you've missed.

Hi I think it is doable that time of year with low expectations. However, if you can swing one throwaway room I would do it. I agree with pp to do the 2 adults and 3 oldest kids. The resorts only charge extra for more than 2 adults. You will be fine with the two adults and three kids. The park to park is nice if you can do it so you can ride the Hogwart's Express. I would look at everything especially videos on you tube of rides before you leave and have a game plan of the rides and which has single rider lines.
This would also give you early entry into one of the parks, that could help with the HP worlds.

I think it is a good way to see how much you like Universal and this way you can plan a much longer vacation. Be careful you might get hooked!!! LOL

Enjoy

You can get Royal Pacific for the night of the 26th or the 27th, giving you Express pass for 2 adults and 3 kids for $319.50 including tax. Now if you park there, that's an additional charge but you've got to pay to park anyway. Just not sure if Royal Pacific would charge you for one day or two days parking since they are expecting you to stay overnight. Both parks are open from 9am-9pm and you can get to the hotel well in advance of that to get checked in. You could actually check in the night before and have express for the 27th too. We've gotten done all we want to in one day and that's with a child in a wheelchair that does slow us down some. No worries!!! You're going to have a blast.

Just depends on what all you are wanting to cover. You are going on a Tuesday at the end of August when the locals will be back in school so that's a bonus.

Are you are family of 7 or 9? You stated "Five kids 10 and under, AND two littles that will likely not ride anything scary or fast". I'm assuming you mean 5 kids 10 and under including two that are little. If that's the case, I'd get the throwaway room and include the 2 adults, and 3 remaining kids that will want to ride the coasters/fast rides as they usually have the longer lines. You'll still need to do child swap if only two adults are going but it will be the fastest way to ride what you want to ride. Only problem is not everyone will be able to enter early being a hotel guest but you can split up there too and let the ones with express go ahead (minus the one adult) and the others to come after regular entry time.

Remember you will need the one day park to park ticket to see both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure on the same day and make sure to ride the Hogwarts Express as I'm sure all the kids will like that.

"Those with experience with Universal late August, is it reasonable to expect to see all of HP in each park if we stay all day/night without an EP? "
The answer is yes. I think you can do both parks in one day without EP if you are ONLY seeing HP in each park. There are only three HP rides at IOA (you aren't planning on Hagrid’s motorbike anyway and if it's raining, Flight of the Hippogriff won't be running either) and only one ride at US which is indoors. As a matter of fact, diagon alley is great during the rain. And Hogwarts Express to get you back and forth. But there is so much more that you won't want to miss. My game plan would be to do both HP areas first, then figure out which park has the most interest for your group. Start out in park A (least interest for your group) and end in Park B. If there is enough time, go back to Park A and see what else you've missed.
Yes, I meant 5 kids total. Thanks :)

If the EP is only good for 2 people then we wouldn’t bother.

That’s actually the opposite of what snoopboop was saying. She was saying that both adults would be included, along with most of the kids, not that just two people got it.

Keep in mind that they charge $35 per person for anything more than 2 people per room.

Adults. More than two adults.

Just not sure if Royal Pacific would charge you for one day or two days parking since they are expecting you to stay overnight.

The onsite hotels charge parking at midnight. So with a one night stay you are charged that midnight, and you get to park at the hotel for the whole day of checkin and the day of checkout up until midnight for one charge. With in and out privileges.

That’s actually the opposite of what snoopboop was saying. She was saying that both adults would be included, along with most of the kids, not that just two people got it.

Right, I realized that after. I read it backwards initially, which I am famous for. Lol

Adults. More than two adults.

The onsite hotels charge parking at midnight. So with a one night stay you are charged that midnight, and you get to park at the hotel for the whole day of checkin and the day of checkout up until midnight for one charge. With in and out privileges.

You should consider scratching the last day of hotel at WDW, and stay 1 night at RPR, check in night before, than early AM you can go straight to the parks. This way it’s not really a throw away room.

Something to think about.

You should consider scratching the last day of hotel at WDW, and stay 1 night at RPR, check in night before, than early AM you can go straight to the parks. This way it’s not really a throw away room.

Something to think about.
They have too many people for 1 room.... 5 max, they have 7. So in their scenario they would book the room throw away and only list the people who are getting the passes.
They can still check in early that morning and get the room keys/passes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!