Not a fan of heights and prone to motion sickness

Mgksjn

Earning My Ears
I'm going to Disney for the first time since I was a younger kid this Saturday. Two things that are making me nervous 1 I have a fear of heights (I'll freak out on a feris wheel but I'm fine on 200 ft roller coasters it's the stopping up high that bothers me) so I wanted to know how high soarin and Peter Pan's flight are. 2 I'm very prone to motion sickness I hear mission space might give an issue but I hear that there is a less intense version also and I was wondering if anyone ever had issues on the less intense version?

IMO Soarin isn't all that high but the screen giving you the impression you're "soaring" may be a factor to consider. Peter Pan I don't remember seeing the bottom (floor) as its pretty dark in there, so that may not be so bad. Mission Space has a green and orange. I think green is more like Star Tours; orange is g-force and I would avoid that all together.

Peter Pan I don't remember seeing the bottom (floor) as its pretty dark in there...

Peter Pan's "floor" is visible about 100% of the time.

It's really not very far down.

For Soarin', it depends on where you sit. I think the highest up seats are roughly 30' up (just a guess) and the lowest are 15' up. They rise up to their position and then stop as you watch the movie.

Peter Pan looks to be about 10' up, give or take. It's a lot of fun, and it moves slowly, so hopefully that will help.

Yes, there is a less intense mission space...green. It's a great ride, just beware it is a tight space. You get the sensation of motion, but it's not incredibly intense. It feels like a vertical launch, then some feeling of weightlessness, but no flipping over, etc...

Peter Pan's "floor" is visible about 100% of the time.

It's really not very far down.

Never saw it, but possibly because I never looked straight down either? And from what I remember, its pretty dark in there?

I too don't do really well with heights, and similarly, roller coasters for the most part don't bother me height wise, not good with Ferris Wheels, or Cable cars etc. I also have some motion issues.

Soarin' mixed bag. I will happily admit I was less than comfortable going up the first few times I rode it. Once we were up into place, I was fine. My advice, try it, and perhaps request that you be seated in the back row (lowest once the ride lifts into place) the first time around, to judge how it will go. I actually prefer the front (top) row now that I've gotten used to the ride.

Peter Pan, I can't imagine you having a problem. You don't really have the swinging, swaying sensation in the boat, it is pretty solid feeling, and you aren't terribly high off the floor of the show building. It doesn't bother me a bit.

Almost forgot Mission Space . .. it moves around a bit. The less intense side doesn't bother me, I haven't worked up the nerve to try the spinning side, half because I'm afraid I'll spew my breakfast, and half because I'm afraid that I may regret ignoring the sign that says don't do this if you have a back problem.

Never saw it, but possibly because I never looked straight down either? And from what I remember, its pretty dark in there?

Not really.
They use the floor for a lot of the scenes.
If you remember

Right at the start, after we fly thru the Darlings' bedroom, we see Nana the Dog tied up in front for her house, which is on the floor
In London (the largest set-piece) what you see, traffic, Big Ben, houses, rivers... just about everything is on the floor.
We see Hook and Smee firing the ship's cannon at us. The miniature ship is on the floor.
We see the Croc in the pirate ship fight scene sticking his head out of the "water" (which is the floor.)
And the final scene of Smee in the row-boat with Hook standing atop the croc's snapping jaws... is on the floor.

Last edited:
I have the same sort of problem with heights (although technically it's falling that's my issue - love roller coasters/splash but TOT not so much)

Soarin' made me feel like I was going to die. Hated it. Made me so uncomfortable I ended up having my eyes shut by the end. Even on the lowest row you are pretty high up. Peter Pan is really solid and you aren't ever really that high up and the motion is different which I think makes a difference.

When I say floor, i mean beyond all the things that are to see. I just googled a YouTube video and some things are higher/lower than others, so I've always assumed the actual floor is even lower than the lowest thing I can see. How much lower, I dont know but I dont want to find out the hard way either.

I'm going to Disney for the first time since I was a younger kid this Saturday. Two things that are making me nervous 1 I have a fear of heights (I'll freak out on a feris wheel but I'm fine on 200 ft roller coasters it's the stopping up high that bothers me) so I wanted to know how high soarin and Peter Pan's flight are. 2 I'm very prone to motion sickness I hear mission space might give an issue but I hear that there is a less intense version also and I was wondering if anyone ever had issues on the less intense version?

soaring you are

1 row 45 feet up

2 row. 30 feet

3 row 15 feet

it is the movie that make you think you are higher then you really are ( I do not like faris wheel and I can do soaring)

Peter pain you are just over the emercicy exit sings ( you can see some of them) and you can see the ground, it is like you are just over the teens flying around. there is one seen where you fly though London and it looks like you are very high up I would not look down at this park just sit back and rest if you think it will be aproblem. ( It is the second seen after the bed room where you flay out the windo )

I would do green for mission space ( but they do have bags if you need it) if you take anything for motion sick need I would before hand. just to be on the safe side

When I say floor, i mean beyond all the things that are to see. I just googled a YouTube video and some things are higher/lower than others, so I've always assumed the actual floor is even lower than the lowest thing I can see. How much lower, I dont know but I dont want to find out the hard way either.
The lowest thing you can see is where the floor is -- about 3 or 4 feet below you, if I'm remembering correctly. The cars that you see when looking down are just a painted bike chains at floor level.

Ah good to know. I'm not scared of heights - until I look down. LOL

As I've gotten older I've developed a motion sickness issue, it seems simulators set it off the most. I've found the patch to be the most helpful to ease these symptoms. I'm also not one to go on a ferris wheel either, but I do like coasters, just not huge ones. :) That being said, I can tell you what was good & not so good for me.
1. Mission Space, green or orange really doesn't matter. Steer clear.
2. Star Tours, I've figured out that if I close my eyes or look down when the stars are coming at you during the different take of scene transitions I do just fine. The stars are what sets it off for me. Otherwise an awesome ride.
3. Tower of Terror. You don't really see how high you are as you are pretty much in the dark through most all but split seconds of light. From a height perspective you're probably OK since you don't realize you are high until you have already dropped. My issue is I hate the feeling of drop rides so I don't like the ride.
4. Rockin' Rollercoaster is a great ride but there are 2 inversion loops. You are completely in the dark so you don't really see that it's coming.
5. Toy Story Mania. Believe it or not the swift turn of the carts from screen to screen has set off a slight motion sickness. It is mild & not all the time but I will wear the patch to alleviate it.
6. Expedition Everest is an awesome coaster. The drop looks much larger watching from the sidewalk then when you're actually on it. It really seems more like Splash Mtn size. The backwards part of the ride at the very end when it stops for a min does set off some motion sickness feeling. Within a minute you're moving forward again & the feeling goes away.
7. Primeval Whirl, I haven't ridden it. I'm scared too frankly from watching it & reading reviews. I did watch an on-ride video & it looks like some of the turns are super quick & could set it off.
8. Peter Pan. There really shouldn't be an issue. You inside a ship about 10' high. The floor below you is all painted black & lights are dimmed but you can totally see the floor & that it looks like rooms you're moving through.
9. Winnie the Pooh is one that I think I'm in the minority on. I just don't get it. The whole thing seems like an acid trip. The rooms are painted in spirals in some spots that may trigger motion sickness a bit but you are clearly in rooms.
10. Splash Mtn, Big Thunder Mtn, & 7 Dwarfs should all be fine. No major heights. Awesome rides.

3. Tower of Terror. You don't really see how high you are as you are pretty much in the dark through most all but split seconds of light. From a height perspective you're probably OK since you don't realize you are high until you have already dropped. My issue is I hate the feeling of drop rides so I don't like the ride.

Ive been on TOT where they've taken you all the way to the top and the elevator doors open and you have quite the view. LOL.

My son suffers from motion sickness, and none of the rides at Disney World caused him problems. He was fine on Mission Space, Test Track, and others. But, as always, YMMV.

When I was younger, heights didn't bother me. That changed for some reason about 10 years ago. I've heard it has something to do with the inner ear as you get older. Anyway, the only ride I had problems on was Soarin, and just one part where you have the illusion of being very high up and then soaring down to the ground. I was fine on Dumbo, Alladin, and Peter Pan.

I will say I was SHOCKED to find out how high you go on Soarin' because I had not realized AT ALL we'd gone up 45 feet. You look high because of the screen, but it never felt "truly" high because you can't really see down.

Under no circumstances should you do Mission Space. Orange or green - it doesn't matter. You will probably feel sick for most of the rest of the day.

I have never had a problem with Peter Pan. I have been riding it since Feb 1972. Soarin really freaked me out the first time I rode it. I was really scared of falling out and hung on for dear life. There are hand grips on each side of the seat that most people probably don't notice. Now I agree it is an amazing ride, and I have gotten more used to it riding it subsequently, although I still prefer to hang on. It is the ONLY ride in WDW that has ever freaked me out like that. In regard to motion sickness, while I don't get that bad, I do have a "bad stomach" as in a really bad case of GERD. The first time I rode Mission Space, I rode Green and was fine. The second time I was with my niece who wanted to ride orange. I did what I read somewhere: I kept my eyes on the screen--did not look away AT ALL--and concentrated on breathing deeply. My stomach was fine. I really believe that looking away causes enough disorientation that it causes the motion sickness. I hope you have a magical trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter