Norwegian Cruise Lines CEO: "Enough is Enough"

Why does nobody question that of non-essential land based Covid spreading businesses that are infecting many hundreds of thousands or possibly millions? For one example Florida bars are open as of today, how are they essential? Why do you not question how many lives of bar employees or bar patrons we need to trade off? We need to end the hypocrisy of demonizing cruising and looking the other way regarding literally everything else.

Excellent point! Believe it or not, I don’t think people should be crammed into bars right now either!

I’ll head back to rumors and news now 🤣The level of delusion here on the cruise board is shocking. The flippant attitude about CM and guest health & safety onboard is appalling. The inability to see how Disney resuming cruising too early, experiencing outbreaks onboard would RUIN DCL forever. A more cautious approach will benefit long term. If you can’t see why it is important for them to wait until they can do it safely and prevent outbreaks, I don’t know what to tell you. If you can’t see how virus spread is worse on a cruise ship than a grocery store, I don’t know what to tell you.

Continue to keep your heads in the sand and ignore the virus. Disney isn’t going to resume until they feel confident doing so (no matter what the CDC says), so it doesn’t really matter what you all think anyway. Disney won’t be an industry leader here.

So you’re for banning tobacco and alcohol too? The first and third leading preventable cause of deaths in the U.S. and clearly affects others. like we said, cruising is being singled out. Put away the hypocrisy and the pitchforks/torches.
Ridiculous argument. Your having a drink can't kill me, or your cigarette can't kill me. When these things endangered others, we did things to prevent that. Cruising is being singled out because it is a very very bad and unsafe thing to do right now. The fact that you don't care about others and want to have a cruise doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter.

And it could very well be DCL has a different acceptance level of “safe” than many here. I highly doubt they will wait until a vaccine is available. “Vaccine available” is also a very broad term. Available globally to everyone? People think because it’s “Disney” they tick differently than other cruise lines. Or have better standards. Hate to bust that myth. DCL only differs by price and the fact they have a mouse on board. Corporate side they tick all the same.

Excellent point! Believe it or not, I don’t think people should be crammed into bars right now either!

I’ll head back to rumors and news now 🤣The level of delusion here on the cruise board is shocking. The flippant attitude about CM and guest health & safety onboard is appalling. The inability to see how Disney resuming cruising too early, experiencing outbreaks onboard would RUIN DCL forever. A more cautious approach will benefit long term. If you can’t see why it is important for them to wait until they can do it safely and prevent outbreaks, I don’t know what to tell you. If you can’t see how virus spread is worse on a cruise ship than a grocery store, I don’t know what to tell you.

Continue to keep your heads in the sand and ignore the virus. Disney isn’t going to resume until they feel confident doing so (no matter what the CDC says), so it doesn’t really matter what you all think anyway. Disney won’t be an industry leader here.

The only ones who have their heads in the sand are the ones who only talk about the virus or the economic impacts. You need to talk about both. Your thoughts & prayers are worthless.

The level of delusion here on the cruise board is shocking. The flippant attitude about CM and guest health & safety onboard is appalling. The inability to see how Disney resuming cruising too early, experiencing outbreaks onboard would RUIN DCL forever. A more cautious approach will benefit long term. If you can’t see why it is important for them to wait until they can do it safely and prevent outbreaks, I don’t know what to tell you. If you can’t see how virus spread is worse on a cruise ship than a grocery store, I don’t know what to tell you.

You could make that argument about any non-essential business that is open right now. We are not flippant about CM's and guests safety, just believe that that is their choice to make not ours. Where someone works is their choice and their personal responsibility not ours. You have valid points but just because someone does not come to the same conclusions as you or agree with you it doesn't mean they "delusion" or have their "heads in the sand". Just means we disagree and both state our reasons.

Ridiculous argument. Your having a drink can't kill me,

I wish that were true. I've worked so many fatality DWI accidents I have lost count.

It's not our place to say that cruising is too dangerous for CM's or guests but it's ok for the bag boy at our grocery store to work and be exposed to thousands of people a day or the CM and guests at a theme park are good to go.

I wish it was all closed. Then we could leave the virus with few places to find hosts. Then we could get the economy running because the minimum contact tracers could do their job and get those people isolated.

I want to vacation just as much or more as anyone. I travel, on average between 5-6 months of the year, some of it solo. I've now been home since Feb. 19, in my home, with my husband. I haven't seen my youngest daughter since Feb. I have age against me in this virus. I do all the safety protocols but yet, I'm a virtual hostage in my home because there are too many people that don't care about my safety and my life and ignore the minimal things being asked of them that would allow me to even go the grocery store comfortably, much less travel.

The way out of this crap is to slow the spread, identify the infected and get those people to stay home. When that is done successfully (impossible in this country, I believe) then there will be those of us who will continue to be disappointed by what we can't do and frustrated by the one's that do what they want.

Aside from my unfortunate misspelling error, my post still stands, CRUISES are NOT able to sail to ANY of these destinations presently. So rushing and whining to restart cruises is utterly pointless at this time.

Cruises aren't able to go to these destinations because they have decided it isn't safe for now.
But I'm willing to bet that certain ports (Mexico for sure) would welcome ships tomorrow if the could.
I'm not whining.. In fact I agree with you that cruises shouldn't rush to go anywhere until the pandemic is under control.

Last edited:
At a ports meeting in Miami, executives from Norwegian, MSC and Royal Caribbean went off on government officials who are preventing the cruise industry from restarting.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5583/?source=99362
Interesting to note that Disney was not part of this.

I do take issue with this statement:

A certain percentage of airline and hotel business is what I would consider essential to keep businesses and government running. I dare say that cruises are 100% for leisure. Nobody is taking DCL to Nassau or Castaway Cay for business. I get the frustration, but there are non-leisure travelers who need hotels or to fly.

And even if they get the permission to restart, how do they know what demand is going to be in this environment. I suspect that demand is going to be very low until the rapid testing and/or a vaccine are in place and considered reliable enough.

I don't understand why you would make a distinction between business being essential travel, but leisure not being essential travel. Surely business travel isn't essential to survival of a human, so it is merely to facilitate the well-being/survival of a business. Why wouldn't businesses that provide leisurely products be in the same category at other non-essential businesses travel? Literally millions of people's livelihoods are tied to the leisure industry. So, unless you limited business travel to individuals who must travel to keep food production and supply, utilities, and medical open, then the distinction really is arbitrary.

Last edited:
That is a great point. If the cruise lines aren't willing to pick up their ball and move, they can't really complain about the CDC.

I disagree. A company shouldn't need to move from the country where it spent decades building it client base, facilities, and where it can best serve its customers because of overly-stringent and somewhat arbitrary government actions targeted at a particular industry. It was appropriate to hit the pause button at the start of the pandemic, but that time has passed.

As for cruise lines being flagged in another country - I see that as a different issue. U.S. law should be changed to not allow a cruise line that is based in the U.S. for all intents and purposes to be flagged in another country, or to at least be subject to our regulations on a higher level than they are now.

Last edited:
I had tried to say above the fray, but the moral indignation and attack on other's intelligence on this thread is too much.

I’ll head back to rumors and news now 🤣The level of delusion here on the cruise board is shocking. The flippant attitude about CM and guest health & safety onboard is appalling.

How can you not see that your distinction is a subjective one and that your moral outrage at people who draw the line in the sand somewhere else is not based in any objective fact?

Let's take automobile accidents - 30K+ a year die in accidents every year, for the mere convenience of us getting somewhere fast and conveniently. Surely we could save lives (including lives of others) by simply outlawing non-essential driving and limiting the speed limit to 10 mph. Should I be morally outraged if you don't support that position? Do you not care about the people's lives you put at risk every time you drive to pick up a non-essential hamburger and fries? How can you justify risking life for that but criticize someone who says they would cruise knowing it could put people's lives at risk?

What about the flu? Sure, it is less contagious and less deadly to certain people (not all), but do you still visit parks and cruise during flu season? What about that tens or thousands of people who die from it each year? Do you care about the CM's lives you are putting at risk?

A response that less people die from the flu or car accidents is an arbitrary distinction to make. Because you are still making a risk assessment and drawing the line somewhere, at the risk of other people's lives. That distinction can't be anything but subjective. To criticize the intelligence or ethics of someone who says a risk of say, three or even four times that of the flu, is justified after weighing the pros and cons of lockdowns or complete cessation of an industry in a manner that has never happened in our entire modern history, is absolutely perplexing (and yes, we have had similar pandemics that were similar to this one in danger per capita, and the Spanish Flu was ridiculously more dangerous, yet we didn't have long-term and widespread lockdowns). Saying the risk is acceptable for these (and many other risky actions) is justifiable, but cruising or visiting the parks is not, is not based in any objective logic and is purely an emotional argument without more.

And that gets at the biggest issue of all. Where were the policy debates, the weighing of pros and cons, the hearing from experts in a diverse array of fields? That is what should have happened in a democracy after the initial emergency had passed. An entire industry shouldn't have been closed for months on end without more of that.

Your having a drink can't kill me, or your cigarette can't kill me. When these things endangered others, we did things to prevent that.

First, yes, both those actions can and do kill other people. You can outlaw drinking and driving all you want, but a certain percentage of drinkers will always do it. But, see above for other examples where your actions, taken merely for the enjoyment of life and convenience, put other people's lives at risk. Just because you have made the subjective decision to draw the risk line in another place than someone else, doesn't make you right and them wrong.

But more importantly, more and more evidence is available weekly that long-term lockdowns are causing significant death, suffering, poverty, and loss of the enjoyment of life. There are more important things in life than surviving at any cost. Going out into society will always have some level of risk. I vote for minimizing that risk with common sense safety precautions that allow life to continue mostly as normal and let individuals decide for themselves, knowing there is a virus that can be serious and deadly to many. But we at least deserve and open and public debate about what level of risk society is going to take. It shouldn't be decided by experts in one field and the very most risk-adverse among us.

Last edited:
Let's take automobile accidents - 30K+ a year die in accidents every year, for the mere convenience of us getting somewhere fast and conveniently. Surely we could save lives (including lives of others) by simply outlawing non-essential driving and limiting the speed limit to 10 mph. Should I be morally outraged if you don't support that position? Do you not care about the people's lives you put at risk every time you drive to pick up a non-essential hamburger and fries? How can you justify risking life for that but criticize someone who says they would cruise knowing it could put people's lives at risk?

What about the flu? Sure, it is less contagious and less deadly to certain people (not all), but do you still visit parks and cruise during flu season? What about that tens or thousands of people who die from it each year? Do you care about the CM's lives you are putting at risk?

Both of your examples have things that mitigate their occurrence. No one can prevent them because, despite the myriad of protections that are available to people, they are just not going to avail themselves of them.

They have a become a consequence of the society we live in, because there is no way to make sure the non-compliant people take precautions to protect themselves and others. Guess what, Covid will most likely become a consequence of living in society, too, in time. It's just that now is not the time.

We just don't have any other way to mitigate Covid now except wearing a mask, social distancing, washing your hands and staying home as much as possible.

I will state that I think that most of the people on this board that are speaking about the steps we need to take (like the pause of cruising) care and have cared about these deaths and the many others in our society for a lot longer than the people who don't seem to want to do anything to slow the spread and death of Covid.

Both of your examples have things that mitigate their occurrence. No one can prevent them because, despite the myriad of protections that are available to people, they are just not going to avail themselves of them.

They have a become a consequence of the society we live in, because there is no way to make sure the non-compliant people take precautions to protect themselves and others. Guess what, Covid will most likely become a consequence of living in society, too, in time. It's just that now is not the time.

We just don't have any other way to mitigate Covid now except wearing a mask, social distancing, washing your hands and staying home as much as possible.

I will state that I think that most of the people on this board that are speaking about the steps we need to take (like the pause of cruising) care and have cared about these deaths and the many others in our society for a lot longer than the people who don't seem to want to do anything to slow the spread and death of Covid.

Your are sidestepping the point about driving. There is more we can do - we can eliminate non-essential travel and lower the speed limit to 10 mph. We could save thousands of lives every year. Same with the flu - if lockdowns work, we could lockdown every flu season. There is more we can do for both.

And it is arbitrary to say risks have "become a consequence of society we live in." Why is risk more acceptable just because we have accepted it in the past? Also, by that standard, you could argue the risk of COVID is acceptable, since we have had at least three pandemics that were as or more risky, yet society was not stopped for this long or on this scale, and we allow the consequences of other severe and dangerous respiratory diseases every year without taking severe precautions.

P.S. I think the better counter-argument to my position is that there is a greater net-good to society to lockdown long-term to solve this issue. I disagree with that position and do not think the evidence supports it, but at least there a somewhat objective debate can be had (though picking values - living at any cost vs. quality of life - is subjective). Whereas saying X lives is acceptable risk for society to operate, but Y lives is not, can't be objective.

Last edited:
The only ones who have their heads in the sand are the ones who only talk about the virus or the economic impacts. You need to talk about both. Your thoughts & prayers are worthless.

LOL. I work for several non profits. You’re absolutely right, thoughts and prayers aren’t enough. That’s why it’s important to support organizations like Cast Member Pantry, and support people in your community who are struggling as well. There are are many ways to support the people in our communities who are struggling RIGHT NOW due to furloughs and layoffs. And I hope everyone who has the means to, does.

Honestly, to assume someone doesn’t care about the “whole person” because they don’t see it safe or responsible to resume cruising right now is truly ridiculous.

Ok, retreating back to rumors and news for real this time! 🤣

Honestly, to assume someone doesn’t care about the “whole person” because they don’t see it safe or responsible to resume cruising right now is truly ridiculous.

I agree with you on this point. But it cuts both ways. Many who want cruising to resume believe it will result in the greater net-good to society. We can disagree on the issue and still be caring people who want what is best for humanity.

The problem I have with the “how dare you contemplate putting CMs lives in danger” argument is that Covid risk is prettt much everywhere now. It is silly to say that you are saving the lives of CMs by keeping cruises shuttered. They still have to live in a world with a pandemic, and may well be getting sick and dying on land from Covid too—especially if they are being forced to turn to other jobs that have lower safety standards than Disney. It is not as though they make enough money to just sit at home, not working, in total isolation, ordering grocery delivery and takeout until cruising resumes.

Your are sidestepping the point about driving. There is more we can do - we can eliminate non-essential travel and lower the speed limit to 10 mph. We could save thousands of lives every year. Same with the flu - if lockdowns work, we could lockdown every flu season. There is more we can do for both.

And it is arbitrary to say risks have "become a consequence of society we live in." Why is risk more acceptable just because we have accepted it in the past? Also, by that standard, you could argue the risk of COVID is acceptable, since we have had at least three pandemics that were as or more risky, yet society was not stopped for this long or on this scale, and we allow the consequences of other severe and dangerous respiratory diseases every year without taking severe precautions.

P.S. I think the better counter-argument to my position is that there is a greater net-good to society to lockdown long-term to solve this issue. I disagree with that position and do not think the evidence supports it, but at least there a somewhat objective debate can be had (though picking values - living at any cost vs. quality of life - is subjective). Whereas saying X lives is acceptable risk for society to operate, but Y lives is not, can't be objective.

I'm not sidestepping anything. Sure there is more we can do, but we can't get people to comply with what we are doing. You think we can eliminate non-essential travel? We tried that at the beginning of this debacle. It's why we are where we are today.

We have lowered the speed limit. Doesn't matter. They've raised the speed limit. Doesn't matter. There are segments of society that just don't feel the need to comply with anything.

The 1918 Flu Pandemic lasted 2 years. Other pandemics/epidemics have been better prepared and the actions to contain the problem have been implemented better than Covid.

Net good for you is for society to just go back to work and "survival of the fittest"? Do you know how many people have to get Covid to achieve herd immunity? They aren't even sure we will even have herd immunity, but the number is projected to be 200 million. If those people are in the work force, do you think it would have an effect on the economy?

There sure is a lot of anger on this board. Yes, COVID is awful but just Google deaths from all causes and you will see data from the CDC. The latest stats they have are for 2017 and the data is from the U.S.:

Heart disease - 647,457
Cancer - 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries) - 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases - 160,201
Stroke - 146,383
Alzheimer's disease - 121,404
Diabetes - 83,564
Influenza and pneumonia - 55,672
Nephritis (kidney disease) - 50,633
Intentional self harm (SUICIDE) - 47,173

I'm sure a lot of these causes of death are preventable but we don't lockdown society.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter