• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Noom?

leebee

DIS Veteran
Can someone please explain what Noom is and how it works? I don't have a smart phone so cannot download anything or access their apps, and it seems like via cell phone app is the only way to find information about this program. Is it expensive (monthly fees as well as cost of food)? I had bariatric surgery 3 years ago and am now being a bit lazy, and have gained about 12 pounds. I know I need to get back on the bandwagon- I didn't let them take out my stomach only to be fat again!! I need a new approach to weight loss and am wondering if this is the way to do it.

I tried Noom for the initial "free" period. You definitely need a smart phone to use it. I found it to be way over priced for what it was. And, stopped it before my free period ran out. If you KNOW your problem is that you are eating incorrectly (you say a "bit lazy"), then there are a whole bunch more calorie counters out there that do the same thing for free, and may even work on line (I don't know....never checked). I use the Lose It app (free version). I knew all the psycho-babble that Noom spouts. I knew my problem was I ate too much .... and this is the problem with most people, honestly. So, I started counting calories. I'm naturally a very disciplined person, and had no problem recording EVERY bite of what I ate. I measured and counted (until I was certain of portion sizes). And, I lost 40 pounds over the course of about 8-9 months...usually about a pound a week, a very sustainable and healthy rate. I've maintained that weight for about the same amount of time, continuing to count calories. What I discovered, initially, is that my idea of a "portion" was wildly inaccurate. I *thought* I was eating a "portion" as stated on the label, and was actually eating MUCH more. Now, I know. And, it's been easy to keep myself at an optimal weight. Lose It has entries for many, many food items, and the few times it doesn't, it's an easy process to enter your own calorie count.

ETA: Noom doesn't require a specific diet, so you decide what you eat. It does emphasis "larger profile" foods with lower calories (e.g., salads without dressing, fresh produce, etc) because these make you feel "full" faster. But, you can eat anything you want as long as you don't go over their daily recommended calorie count. In my opinion ONLY they start with a too low recommendation. Lose It gave me an additional 200 calories per day, and I still lost weight at a perfectly acceptable rate.

Good luck!

ETA: Noom doesn't require a specific diet, so you decide what you eat. It does emphasis "larger profile" foods with lower calories (e.g., salads without dressing, fresh produce, etc) because these make you feel "full" faster. But, you can eat anything you want as long as you don't go over their daily recommended calorie count. In my opinion ONLY they start with a too low recommendation. Lose It gave me an additional 200 calories per day, and I still lost weight at a perfectly acceptable rate.

Good luck!
Definitely something to watch for. I abandoned any thought of Noom when the calculator recommended 920 calories a day for my goal. Unhealthy and more importantly, wildly unsustainable. :rolleyes1

I love noom- lost 44 pounds in the first few months-went off it for a bit but now back on track!
Can you tell me what you love about it- besides losing 44 pounds? :cheer2:Congrats on that!! Is it easy to follow? Did you find the calorie total too restrictive (because nobody should be on a 950 cal a day diet), are portions tiny? Is there anything new or different about Noom that makes it easier to follow/stick to than the usual portion/calorie-control/regular exercise diet plans?

If you're looking for a free way to count calories, track nutrition, and have a great community, I recommend Spark People. I use the phone app mainly, but there is a website. Very active community, easy to track meals and calories. I use Beachbody for workouts, so I can't attest to Spark People videos, but they do offer workout videos. You can set a goal, for example, I have a goal weight to hit by our cruise in January, and it will give you a calorie target range, but will also break down your nutrients. It's a nice app!

I'm currently using the free version of the LoseIt! app which I use to track calories. It has me on a 1400 calorie per day max. If you try to set your loss goal for too soon, it tells you that it doesn't recommend dipping below 1200 calories per day. It's a phone app but it is also available via their website if you don't have a smart phone. https://www.loseit.com/

I did the free trial of Noom and cancelled before completing it. They don't give you a meal plan to follow, at least I didn't pay for one. Maybe that isn't part of the free trial.

I was given 1,200 calories per day as my goal for 3 meals and 3 snacks per day. You can eat whatever you want and log it on the app.

They assign a color to each food - red, yellow or green and you are supposed to aim for mostly green/yellow foods similar to weight watchers point systems. There are different articles to read and quizzes to take every day to help you understand your eating habits and healthy choices.

DW did the Noom free trial, liked it and has paid for a 3-month subscription. From what I can tell it's like My Fitness Pal with coaching and counseling via text/email/etc. She likes it because the "meetings" with her coach give her accountability, which she feels like she needs.

I really like Noom. I have lost 70 pounds in 8 months. In the past I have done Weight Watchers. About 11 years ago I lost 85 pounds on Weight Watchers. I kept it off for about 10 months and then my husband got sick (he's okay now). I guess the stress of taking care of him, driving him to/from work and not being able to focus on myself as much contributed to me gaining all that 85 pounds plus a few extra back. Since then I tried Weight Watchers a few times, without much success. I'm not sure why it didn't work again. I even tried the Weight Watchers on line with a coach. I would lose a 10-15 pounds only to gain it all back very quickly.

To me, Noom is the psychology of loosing weight. They explain things in a way I can understand and they do it with a sense of humor. They don't yell at you if you don't drink 64 ounces of water, if you don't exercise or don't log your food. They encourage you to do activity and offer suggestions that fit in with your lifestyle. I really didn't know what to expect when I first signed up. Also I think for me dedicating 10 minutes or so a day to read the articles/tips on my Noom app keeps me focused. I have gone on several short (3-5 days) trips during this time and have been able to not gain weight on my trips. I also think that because I had a good basis of an eating plan from all my times on Weight Watchers, that made my Noom experience better.

Both my sisters joined Noom after seeing me being successful. One of my sisters has lost 44 pounds in 6 months (she had several trips including a cruise). My other sister didn't really have time to go on to the app every day and decided it wasn't for her. I like that the plan can be individualize. My sister likes to drink a glass or two of wine every week and she does and is still loosing weight. I do not participate in the group message board on Noom. I do like my Noom coach - she reaches out to me every week.

I am a little nervous about maintenance on Noom. I'm almost at my goal. The things that have helped me on my journey are Noom, my Fitbit, drinking water (not 64 ounces, but about 48 ounces or so a day), eating better and the support of my family.

Oh, also I don't think of Noom as a "diet", I think of it as a lifestyle.

If you try to set your loss goal for too soon, it tells you that it doesn't recommend dipping below 1200 calories per day.
Yet it will give you daily calories of "budget" of less than 1200 calories. I always found that funny.

I've used it successfully. It keeps me honest.

I am 8 weeks into Noom and I think it’s helping me form some healthy habits. I did WW years ago with success, and have lost some already with Noom, but it does feel different. I’m not big on the group coaching aspect, but I’ve set non-loss goals at the encouragement of my personal coach. I find the psych pieces helpful, particularly those in dealing with not being sidetracked by one or two missteps. It’s a bit overwhelming with the daily/weekly suggestions and plans to make changes, but (and it’s a big but) the variety allows you to pick goals and implementation that work for you. As for calorie budgets, you can set your speed of loss - I picked “rabbit” and have a budget of over 1200. If I picked “turtle”, I’d get more. I think the program is well-done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter