Non-DVC resort cash stays are no longer eligible for Moonlight Magic

“Reports have even been shared with us that Member Service agents let upset members on the phone know they were putting in tickets for the IT team to fix the language so that it’s clearly understood.”

Since when is IT responsible for composing written statements on Disney policy? Way to deflect:sad2:

Regardless, whether this is on Marketing or a third party; this isn’t the the first time Disney has been confusing and vague in their announcements.

Today’s snafu could’ve easily been avoided if they’d only have made it a priority by now to be clear & concise in their communications as to policy changes.

That said, congrats to all who did secure this hot ticket! It’s truly a fun-filled evening and appreciate gesture from DVC. Enjoy
To be fair I don't think the cast members answering the phone at MS are the ones setting policy either, they're just the ones that have to deal with the irate members when things go wrong.

What is the current situation for members who have both “qualified” and not qualified memberships? I have grandfathered resale BWV points and new resale SSR points. in the future will I only be eligible if I book using my BWV points, or will my DVC-Y status allow me to use SSR points?
I was allowed to get MM tickets last year staying on my BWV resale points.

If they cancelled the cash booking, the Moonlight Magic reservation would be cancelled automatically. The cash booking gave them more flexibility because they could still cancel without consequence if they didn't get it 5+ days out from the event. Realistically it's better for owners and Disney as well.

Owners who are actually staying on property using their points are more likely to be able to attend Moonlight Magic and for Disney, less people cancelling their reservations as a result of not being able to attend Moonlight Magic.
Not true. MM bookings are not cancelled if resort stay is cancelled. I thought this too originally.

Both should be allowed. I had the same questions because I have a purely resale membership that does not qualify and a DVC-Y membership but as it was explained to me if you book with either, you should still be eligible. Whether or not that’s changed with this new update I am not sure.

I have 2 memberships for 2 UYs. One is a combo of resale and direct and qualifies for the perks. The other is a resale only contract and not eligible for perks. My March reservation is on my resale only membership. I was able to register in the resort reservation window on Tuesday. I tried my direct contract number and got an error message for no reservation, so I used my resale only one and was able to register. This has happened before for Disneyland DCA MM events, so I am not too concerned since I have never had an issue getting in.

I have 2 memberships for 2 UYs. One is a combo of resale and direct and qualifies for the perks. The other is a resale only contract and not eligible for perks. My March reservation is on my resale only membership. I was able to register in the resort reservation window on Tuesday. I tried my direct contract number and got an error message for no reservation, so I used my resale only one and was able to register. This has happened before for Disneyland DCA MM events, so I am not too concerned since I have never had an issue getting in.
Thank you very much for this comment. Even though it hasn't even happened yet I've been low key stressing about which membership I should be typing in when I actually do need to register if I have a stay on my resale only membership while signing up for Moonlight Magic.

Thank you very much for this comment. Even though it hasn't even happened yet I've been low key stressing about which membership I should be typing in when I actually do need to register if I have a stay on my resale only membership while signing up for Moonlight Magic.
My reservation was with my resale contract but I thought I had to put in my direct contract member number when registering on Tuesday. It came up no eligible stay and I tried clicking link to correct my number but it went to an error page. I panicked thinking I wasn't going to get in but luckily my husband's queue number was called so he entered membership tied to our reservation and it worked.

Ok …. but a few extra Mickey bars and some popcorn still isn’t gonna bankrupt dvd … there is no good reason not to allow any member that wants to go to go … never been to one Mar 1 will be our first God willing

Not saying it would but IMO, it is a nice extra to be offered and simply am not bothered with the rules and am happy that at least more DVC members who are on their membership may have a chance to go.

There have been people in the past that haven't been able to book when their reservation was using their non-qualified resale points. I think the restricting of non-DVC cash bookings is a good example to see that what has happened in the past may not continue.

DVC's communication continues to be lacking. They have blips when it's better but then back to same old. Regarding the change I never felt it was appropriate to allow members to book in the "reservation" time period when staying on CRO cash so am not dismayed. If everything is not filled for the event in that round they'll still have a chance to book in the 2nd round.

DVC needs to remember to notify members ahead of time though if they are changing something like that.

Not saying it would but IMO, it is a nice extra to be offered and simply am not bothered with the rules and am happy that at least more DVC members who are on their membership may have a chance to go.
Yeah I’m not bothered by it either but many apparently are so a way to eliminate all the dissension would be to make it so everyone that wants a ticket gets one … ‘problem’ solved

There have been people in the past that haven't been able to book when their reservation was using their non-qualified resale points. I think the restricting of non-DVC cash bookings is a good example to see that what has happened in the past may not continue.
Yeah I’m still hesitant to try and get into Moonlight Magic with resale points and if I have the choice will prob book with my direct points to ensure eligibility but if I were planning to go anyways on resale points it wouldn’t hurt to try :p

My reservation was with my resale contract but I thought I had to put in my direct contract member number when registering on Tuesday. It came up no eligible stay and I tried clicking link to correct my number but it went to an error page. I panicked thinking I wasn't going to get in but luckily my husband's queue number was called so he entered membership tied to our reservation and it worked.
This is exactly what happened in our family. I used my membership number eligible for perks and it said there was not a qualifying reservation (that was made with resale points). I clicked on the link to correct and it gave me an error message. Able to use the resale membership number when my husbands phone got to the head of the que.

Ok …. but a few extra Mickey bars and some popcorn still isn’t gonna bankrupt dvd … there is no good reason not to allow any member that wants to go to go … never been to one Mar 1 will be our first God willing
Enjoy. Not sure which one is on 3/1. My fav was MK. had AK one cancelled due to hurricane in 2022. Wanted to see it this year, we shall see.

i was able to book pref SSR as a split stay for 2 nights after our race reservation at AK. i’d never book it ordinarily, no offense to those who own there, just feel point structure is high. Spoiled with the value & standard BW room rates

Figure there may be a mass cancellation from those who don’t secure MM those dates, if we are lucky to attend, will try to modify the res.

If we don’t get into the event, likely will just cancel those two days and stay at ASMu under great AP rate I already had booked before the new policy became apparent.
Whether or not that’s changed with this new update I am not sure.
Who knows
To be fair I don't think the cast members answering the phone at MS are the ones setting policy either, they're just the ones that have to deal with the irate members when things go wrong.
Oh, I’d never take it out on MS. They just try to do the best job with what they have IMO.

I was thrilled to see a WL for part of this April trip come thru this week for an AK value studio for 4 nights. Shocked actually.

Have been able to pick up dates we needed for split 12/24 trip, day by day at WL & AK. took some effort, not sure my experience will hold going forward
Not true. MM bookings are not cancelled if resort stay is cancelled. I thought this too originally.
They should, not sure they have that capability
DVC needs to remember to notify members ahead of time though if they are changing something like that.
My mind set, that’s all I really would expect. As a courtesy if nothing else. It just seemed shady to change the ’rules’ with a vaguely & confusing statement on the website IMO.

This is exactly what happened in our family. I used my membership number eligible for perks and it said there was not a qualifying reservation (that was made with resale points). I clicked on the link to correct and it gave me an error message. Able to use the resale membership number when my husbands phone got to the head of the que.
Glad you got in too!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter