non-DVC member living in DVC hotel

To the OP!!!

Give your exact dates and the posts here would be a LOT more helpful. Also I have to assume your colleague would be getting you a studio based on the amount he is charging.

There are a couple of fundamental differences between a PO room and an OKW studio. Although a PO room will have a fridge it does NOT have a microwave...and I'm not sure if it has a coffee pot, toaster, glassware...and paper plates and plastic ware. Your only window in PO will look out on to the walkway people use to get to and from their rooms...so NO privacy there. The OKW studio will have a window towards the parking area and a balcony that you can sit on and enjoy. Other than that OKW will have two queens and a big bathroom versus two doubles and a standard bath at PO.
OKW also should have free washer dryers somewhere around for the studio users (1, 2, 3 bedroom units have them included).

Resort-wise I would say the primary difference is not much...however PO has a food court and I don't believe OKW has one. However OKW probably has a more elaborate general store ...I'm not sure PO has one at all since in the past the rooms did not have refrigerators. Both resorts have bikes, rental boats, a launch to DTD, themed pools, decent landscaping.

PROBLEMS: The only problem with getting the unit from your friend is that Disney's cancellation policies are crystal clear. However those same policies will not apply to unit you get from your friend. I would only take the rental from your friend if you are absolutely sure you are going.

OPINION: If it twere me I'd take the OKW unit because I'm inclined to heat things up in my room and enjoy them. Bring the right small bowls with you and you can have ham eggs and toads in the morning.

NOTE: If your friend is getting you a one or two bedroom then run to cancel Disney and take him up on his offer.

ham, egg and toads? is that something that's said in your family? too too cute!

(since this thread was so totally hi-jacked i felt compelled to write!)

Bottom line, OP - we need to know as stated above - actual trip days and room size. THEN we can flood you with the "why OKW is totally awesome" info.

I have been bashed before for commenting that OKW feels like to me the DVC version of a mod (studio only, not larger rooms then that.) The resort is laid out like a mod and it is more comparable to mods then other deluxes. If that is what you like then OKW is a great option for DVC. (OKW has it charms and for many reasons many people feel it is the best DVC resort.) I personally like BCV better but that is just me. ;) OKW is also reflected in less points, making it a even better DVC deal. I think what room you get at OKW really makes a difference in you opinon. We did not get a nice stuido and that colored our view. Our balcony was useless, when we have stayed at PORS we have gotten lucky and got much better locations.

I also LOVE PORS and when we don't have enough points or can get a really good deal will stay there. However I don't think I would pay what the OP has for it. (yes all mod's and deluxes have refriges int he room, but studios have more then that, an extra sink, microwave, coffe maker...........)

OP, what time of year are you going? Do you have kids? Will you be having a car? (that matters at OKW, but it does a little at PORS also.)

Yes it is allowed, happen often and will be no big deal to rent points from a DVC member. Look into what time of year it is, that seems a little high unless it is holiday season. Are you going over the weekend, those nights are mostly double the points so that might be why he is saying 150 a night and just averaging it out. If they are talking about a 1 bedroom, then by all means go for it. :cheer2:

OKW is a great resort, they just put in a new water slide at the main pool and it has a great feel about the whole place. Then again I think PORS is really nice too!!!!! :Pinkbounc

This is a close IMO between POR and OKW Studio. OKW will provide more space, but POR has far better theming and atmosphere (opinion of course).

Something about OKW and the whole condo look/feel really kills the magic for me.

bicker said:
Personally, having stayed at both PO and OKW, if I have to choose between the two for the same price, I'd make my decision based on the relative value of the cube refrigerator in OKW versus the daily housekeeping in PO -- which do you find more important? I find PO theming to be far superior, I find the dining there to be better, and I find the quality of the rooms themselves to be better.

Personally, I'd choose the huge bathroom at OKW! Love that there's plenty of room for DH and I to be in there at the same time -- kind of a treat given that our home bathrooms are fairly small, too,

facebook twitter