Non-Disney vacation ideas?

SW Colorado sounds like it would fit the bill. Ride the Silverton/Durango train, Black Canyon of The Gunnison, etc. Maybe fly into Albuquerque.

Rocky Mt National Park would be another.

Yellowstone has a LOT you can see from the car, but I end up doing a lot of walking there.

Black Hills (as previously mentioned) would be fun too, and not a lot of waking required.

Here's one DW & I did 20 years ago - flew SW into Reno, then did a road trip up through Tahoe, over to the coast, up Hwy 1 & 101 into Oregon (checking out the redwoods along the way), and eventually looped back to Reno.

You know what I'm going to say... Vegas! You don't have to gamble to have an amazing time. There are tonnes of shows, excursions to places like the Hoover Dam and the Grand Canyon and sights to be seen. True, it's a little shallow, but it's one of those things that you just have to experience once in your lifetime.

Great minds think alike, that was my first thought!

I second New Mexico. There's a wide variety of things to do, it's affordable and it's incredibly relaxing. SW flies into Albuquerque. Santa Fe is the second oldest city in the US and has a fascinating history. You can also visit the mountains as well.

I second Philadelphia for history and museums. I'd say Vegas for affordable hotel options and lots of indoor activities, but all the the second hand smoke probably isn't a great idea.

My parents are huge history buffs and they did a trip a couple of years ago that encompassed Utah, Colorado, Montana and Wyoming that they still talk about! Lots of history and stuff to see/do. They flew in to Denver and rented a car and drove. Other than for the first two nights in Denver they didn't make a hotel reservation ahead of time. They drove until they felt like stopping and stayed at a bunch of small Mom & Pop type places that charged $50-$75 a night. They found a lot of smaller museums that were easy to get around within an hour or so (other than the Museum of Natural History in Denver). They both agreed it was one of their favorite trips.

Another vote for Vegas. If you've never been then it is definitely a good trip idea. There's so much to see and do on tge strip even if you don't gamble.
@Domo mentioned the excursions you can take too. We took day trips to several places (Bryce and Zion, an old ghost town in AZ, and the Grand Canyon).

Hey @leebee, I don't have anything to add to all the great suggestions, but I wanted to say I'm sorry that your DH (and you) have had a tough time lately and hope he is fully recovered as soon as possible. I hope you have a wonderful vacation, wherever you choose to go!

SW Colorado sounds like it would fit the bill. Ride the Silverton/Durango train, Black Canyon of The Gunnison, etc. Maybe fly into Albuquerque...

DH went to undergrad in Gunnison so we're pretty familiar with this part of the world. Hadn't thought about flying into ABQ, though. Hmmm...

SW flies into Buffalo - what about Niagara Falls? There is a lot of history in that area, too.

Good idea. I lived in Ithaca for 2 years and then we were in Syracuse for 5 while DH got his Ph.D. We've been to the Falls once, but haven't considered the area in general. Is Toronto a manageable drive from Buffalo?

My parents are huge history buffs and they did a trip a couple of years ago that encompassed Utah, Colorado, Montana and Wyoming that they still talk about! Lots of history and stuff to see/do. They flew in to Denver and rented a car and drove. Other than for the first two nights in Denver they didn't make a hotel reservation ahead of time. They drove until they felt like stopping and stayed at a bunch of small Mom & Pop type places that charged $50-$75 a night. They found a lot of smaller museums that were easy to get around within an hour or so (other than the Museum of Natural History in Denver). They both agreed it was one of their favorite trips.

This would be a dream trip for DH; he loves the Rockies and area in general. I don't think we have the time, but I'm looking at something that would encompass parts of this. It's all a question of how much driving I want to do, but maybe if we leave hotel reservations open, that'd give me some flexibility.

Hey @leebee, I don't have anything to add to all the great suggestions, but I wanted to say I'm sorry that your DH (and you) have had a tough time lately and hope he is fully recovered as soon as possible. I hope you have a wonderful vacation, wherever you choose to go!

Hi, @JaxDad, long time! Thanks for your good wishes- it's been a long haul with more to go, definitely not what we expected for 2017, but at least now we feel like DH is definitely moving forward and making progress!

Still haven't ruled out the east coast. I'm wondering about the Gettysburg area and what might be there. Also DC area; I like the idea of Williamsburg. Hmmm... oh yes, Las Vegas is under consideration, simply for the ease of getting to Zion, Bryce, etc. I've found great ideas here, thanks to all for chiming in!!

DH went to undergrad in Gunnison so we're pretty familiar with this part of the world. Hadn't thought about flying into ABQ, though. Hmmm...

Good idea. I lived in Ithaca for 2 years and then we were in Syracuse for 5 while DH got his Ph.D. We've been to the Falls once, but haven't considered the area in general. Is Toronto a manageable drive from Buffalo?

Still haven't ruled out the east coast. I'm wondering about the Gettysburg area and what might be there. Also DC area; I like the idea of Williamsburg. Hmmm... oh yes, Las Vegas is under consideration, simply for the ease of getting to Zion, Bryce, etc. I've found great ideas here, thanks to all for chiming in!!

Buffalo is an hour and a half from Toronto. You can also drive to Niagara on the Lake which is a little over a 1/2 hour I believe from the Falls. A very cute town.

Gettysburg is an 1.5 hour drive from DC. An easy day trip.

Ooh, I would love Denver or Colorado Springs! It's so gorgeous out that way! I would be a tad concerned with walking and the altitude, with your DH's recovery, though. Still, I'm sure you could find things in that general area (like NM, as someone else suggested), where there wasn't so much walking.

DC area also has tons to do.

Good luck as you choose your destination.

How about a Cruise? Just came off of a Southern Caribbean that sailed out of Puerto Rico. Flew there by way of Southwest. The Cruise was 7 days going to 5 beautiful Islands and we stayed an extra 3 days in Puerto Rico. Plenty of Mountain and Ocean views...

If you want to visit Bryce/Zion, why not just base there instead of Vegas? It makes more sense to do a day trip to Vegas than it does to do a day trip to Bryce/Zion.

After looking at a bunch of options, we are going to fly into Baltimore and do things from there. DH isn't sure where he'll be on the walking-thing in July, and we'd hate to get out west and have him discover that he can't hike much due to his knee and/or the altitude. Southwest "fare" is dirt-cheap from Boston, and it's a direct, short flight, so he won't have to worry about sitting for long times in a plane. We'll take the bus from Bangor to Boston and then fly using points/companion pass. All told, roundtrip bus from Bangor to Boston and roundtrip air between Boston and Baltimore will cost us $175, and that includes parking. I can live with that- the majority of the cost is the bus fare for 2! DH figures on the bus, he can get up and walk around if his leg starts bothering him- not an option in a car unless we kept stopping, and it's already a 4 hour drive home from Logan. No need to extend it!! Also, if we are going to do museums in DC, I'm guessing there'll be wheelchairs available if he needs one (but we are hoping he won't!).

We are looking at things to do in the Baltimore/Washington area. If DH is up to it, we'll do a day trip to Gettysburg, a day or 2 into DC, maybe a couple of days in Williamsburg. I'm juggling it right now... no rental car and do 2 nights in DC, then train back to BWI and get a car for Williamsburg/Gettysburg... that kind of thing.

Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. We almost chose flying into Las Vegas and home from Albuquerque (one-way car rental was cheap!), seeing national parks and monuments along the way, but decided to save that trip for when we know DH will be healthy and we'll have more time. It's on the bucket list!

ETA UPDATE>>> Actually, after 6 days in the Baltimore area, we are going to fly to Orlando and spend 3 days with a friend out in Cocoa Beach who we haven't seen in 20 years- then fly home to Boston. I will be in Orlando for my 61st birthday... wonder if DH would be up for a day visit at WDW!!

Last edited:
We went to D.C. a couple years ago when my son was using a knee scooter with a broken foot. We went all over to many museums and other sites and found it pretty easy for him to get around even with his limited mobility.

My husband has had a bad time medically this year; he sustained a post-surgical infection in his leg which required three surgeries, a calf-muscle explant and skin grafting, and 6 weeks of keeping the leg horizontal and totally non-weight bearing while receiving 13+ hours a day of antibiotics via PICC line in a nursing home. Fortunately the medical interventions worked and he's not going to lose either his leg or his life, but it was really stressful for awhile there. He is facing a year of oral antibiotics and at least another 3 months of physical therapy while his reconstruction, surgical sites (one is in his tibia), and muscles heal and he re-learns to walk, run, etc. He's doing well, though, and is ahead of schedule, so there are things to celebrate! Bottom line is, WE NEED A VACATION from our every-day life. DH is NOT a Disney guy, so my first choice is out. I am looking for ideas of places to visit this summer. Here are the limitations on a trip:
>We'd want to be gone about a week;
>Airfare has to be via Southwest as I have points and he has a Companion Pass on my account, making air travel virtually free; we can fly from BOS, PWM, MHT;
>It can't be a beach or "lay out in the sun" vacation as he is restricted in his sun exposure due to the maintenance antibiotics;
>Location needs to be reasonably affordable. I can balance the number of travel days to fit our budget, but I can't afford $200 a night hotel rooms... KWIM?
>Although we are willing to revisit some locations, we are looking for new ideas. We've been to NYC, DC (although we'd revisit DC), Orlando, New Orleans, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, San Francisco (lived there for 3 years but would consider Napa), Denver (new ideas for the area?). We have family in southern Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, so not interested in that area particularly (we want to go on vacation, not visit family...), upstate NY (lived in Syracuse for 5 years), and Maine/New Hampshire/Boston are pretty much out as that's where we live!
>DH can spend limited time outdoors with appropriate protection, but we are not long-distance hikers or boaters. He is a history buff, loves museums, loves the mountains and ocean.

Anyone have any good suggestions? DH loves the Rocky Mountains and I'd consider a loop driving trip to state/national parks, but have no idea of the vastness or what is reasonable to try to accomplish. I'm just trying to come up with some new ideas, but DH really DESERVES a reward for all his patience and what he's been through this year!

Sorry about your DH, Leebee. :hug: How about one of those train rides thru the Rockies?

My husband has had a bad time medically this year; he sustained a post-surgical infection in his leg which required three surgeries, a calf-muscle explant and skin grafting, and 6 weeks of keeping the leg horizontal and totally non-weight bearing while receiving 13+ hours a day of antibiotics via PICC line in a nursing home. Fortunately the medical interventions worked and he's not going to lose either his leg or his life, but it was really stressful for awhile there. He is facing a year of oral antibiotics and at least another 3 months of physical therapy while his reconstruction, surgical sites (one is in his tibia), and muscles heal and he re-learns to walk, run, etc. He's doing well, though, and is ahead of schedule, so there are things to celebrate! Bottom line is, WE NEED A VACATION from our every-day life. DH is NOT a Disney guy, so my first choice is out. I am looking for ideas of places to visit this summer. Here are the limitations on a trip:
>We'd want to be gone about a week;
>Airfare has to be via Southwest as I have points and he has a Companion Pass on my account, making air travel virtually free; we can fly from BOS, PWM, MHT;
>It can't be a beach or "lay out in the sun" vacation as he is restricted in his sun exposure due to the maintenance antibiotics;
>Location needs to be reasonably affordable. I can balance the number of travel days to fit our budget, but I can't afford $200 a night hotel rooms... KWIM?
>Although we are willing to revisit some locations, we are looking for new ideas. We've been to NYC, DC (although we'd revisit DC), Orlando, New Orleans, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, San Francisco (lived there for 3 years but would consider Napa), Denver (new ideas for the area?). We have family in southern Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, so not interested in that area particularly (we want to go on vacation, not visit family...), upstate NY (lived in Syracuse for 5 years), and Maine/New Hampshire/Boston are pretty much out as that's where we live!
>DH can spend limited time outdoors with appropriate protection, but we are not long-distance hikers or boaters. He is a history buff, loves museums, loves the mountains and ocean.

Anyone have any good suggestions? DH loves the Rocky Mountains and I'd consider a loop driving trip to state/national parks, but have no idea of the vastness or what is reasonable to try to accomplish. I'm just trying to come up with some new ideas, but DH really DESERVES a reward for all his patience and what he's been through this year!

Nashville is thriving and exciting and having a culinary renaissance that is insane and would be a GREAT way to start a national park/civil war (if he's interested in that type of history) road trip. The Smokey Mountains are just about 3-4 hours away too. Nashville is super cheap, I think, but I spend a lot of time in Manhattan, so you know...

I died and was in the hospital/physical rehab facility for 10 weeks. I had to relearn to walk, and I'm still getting rid of "foot drop" issues. So glad he's recovering! Its hard, but man, it makes you SO grateful. Have a blast on your well deserved trip. I bet your husband is so glad to get rid of that PICC line, mine was so painful, just the entire time I had it (about 7 weeks), its especially bad in thin people because it just grated against my bones, and I was like 86 pounds at some points while I was in the hospital. I hope his recovery is super speedy and issue free. Good luck and good thoughts ya'll's direction.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter